Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Wilson Two Round Mock
Kind of interesting. This puts into perspective how deep the draft can be when you see some really nice players available in the 2nd. Even if you don't agree with the order of some players you can look down the list and see no matter what there will be really solid players on the board when we pick in the 2nd round.

Bengals Picks:

Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
Vontaze Burfict is now in Oakland and the Bengals need to revamp the middle of their defense. Bush has sideline-to-sideline speed and can wreak havoc in the run game, rush the passer, and smoothly drop into coverage.

Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama
Smith is a first-round talent who gives Andy Dalton a reliable middle-of-the-field playmaker, even with Tyler Eifert's return.

I think it would be hard for the Bengals to pass on McGary and Little in the 2nd, but that is a case where value forces your hand and you just have to go Smith I think.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/two-round-2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-cant-pass-on-dwayne-haskins-patriots-replace-retired-rob-gronkowski-in-round-2/
Reply/Quote
I agree we're in a good spot in the 2nd. There definitely will be some good players at positions we'll want to address. I really like the DTs still available as well as the TE and OTs you mentioned.

I know it's easier said than done, but it'd be nice if they could trade back similar to last year with Bates.
Reply/Quote
Give me Jawaan Taylor and Dexter Lawrence in that scenario. Beef, it's whats for dinner.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I only saw Smith play in the championship game last year and I was really impressed! It seems this year's draft is loaded with TE talent. IMO i would take the best OT on the board, if we go Bush in Rd1. We could get a really good TE or DT in RD3. Personally think day 2 and 3 are loaded with alot really good players and if we play our cards right, this draft could be one of our better drafts.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 08:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: Kind of interesting. This puts into perspective how deep the draft can be when you see some really nice players available in the 2nd. Even if you don't agree with the order of some players you can look down the list and see no matter what there will be really solid players on the board when we pick in the 2nd round.

Bengals Picks:

Devin Bush, LB, Michigan  
Vontaze Burfict is now in Oakland and the Bengals need to revamp the middle of their defense. Bush has sideline-to-sideline speed and can wreak havoc in the run game, rush the passer, and smoothly drop into coverage.

Smith is a first-round talent who gives Andy Dalton a reliable middle-of-the-field playmaker, even with Tyler Eifert's return.

I think it would be hard for the Bengals to pass on McGary and Little in the 2nd, but that is a case where value forces your hand and you just have to go Smith I think.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/two-round-2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-cant-pass-on-dwayne-haskins-patriots-replace-retired-rob-gronkowski-in-round-2/

I agree, tough decision to go Irv Smith over an OT in Rd 2. Personally, I think TE depth is better in Rd 3-4 compared to OT, so I'd go Little or Gary in Rd 2 then go TE in Rd 3/4.
Also, I wouldn't go Bush over Oliver. To avoid being forced to go LB, they really should get another FA LB just in case IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 11:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree, tough decision to go Irv Smith over an OT in Rd 2. Personally, I think TE depth is better in Rd 3-4 compared to OT, so I'd go Little or Gary in Rd 2 then go TE in Rd 3/4.
Also, I wouldn't go Bush over Oliver. To avoid being forced to go LB, they really should get another FA LB just in case IMO.

I like Oliver a lot and to an extent I agree. I have questions about his motivation at times but I think talent wise he is off the charts. I feel like this weird pendulum on Bush has occurred over the last few months. I was pushing him back in January/February and most said he was a late 1st, and people thought I was crazy. Slowly people came around to it with the pundits mocking him to us and now people are drifting back away. 

Bush has talent and I think he can be a really good LB in the NFL, Oliver could potentially be a game changer. My issue I keep finding myself dealing with in terms of Oliver is that I think he only plays 60-65% of plays in the first few years with Geno and company where as Bush would play 100%(assuming both are healthy). If Bush was say an 8 out of 10 and Oliver was a 9 out of 10, do you get more out of 8 out of 10 100% of the time versus 9 out of 10 65%?
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 12:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: I like Oliver a lot and to an extent I agree. I have questions about his motivation at times but I think talent wise he is off the charts. I feel like this weird pendulum on Bush has occurred over the last few months. I was pushing him back in January/February and most said he was a late 1st, and people thought I was crazy. Slowly people came around to it with the pundits mocking him to us and now people are drifting back away. 

Bush has talent and I think he can be a really good LB in the NFL, Oliver could potentially be a game changer. My issue I keep finding myself dealing with in terms of Oliver is that I think he only plays 60-65% of plays in the first few years with Geno and company where as Bush would play 100%(assuming both are healthy). If Bush was say an 8 out of 10 and Oliver was a 9 out of 10, do you get more out of 8 out of 10 100% of the time versus 9 out of 10 65%?

I don't think the swing with Bush is that odd.  He was a late 1st/early 2nd in this class based on his film.  He shot up the draft board based on a great combine performance, particularly his 40.  That began to put him in the discussion at 11, but the more you look at his film and lack of production, the more you start to realize why he was graded where he originally was.  It happens with a lot of the "workout warrior" guys, they move up around the combine and pro days, then fall back down the board under closer examination.

As an aside, I think 40 times are somewhat overrated when it comes to LB's.  If you have a 4.5 guy and a 4.7 guy that can make his reads and/or get off his blocks .1 of a second faster, the 4.7 guy is going to get there faster on any play within 20 yards.  A fast 40 is nice, but you still need great instincts and have to be able to defeat blockers quickly to be good.

To me, health being equal, there's not much debate between a DT that could be the next Aaron Donald and a LB that could be the next Jordan Hicks(I'm personally not that high on Bush, but for arguments sake).  Bush plugs a hole.  Oliver is a guy that you potentially build around for a decade.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 10:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't think the swing with Bush is that odd.  He was a late 1st/early 2nd in this class based on his film.  He shot up the draft board based on a great combine performance, particularly his 40.  That began to put him in the discussion at 11, but the more you look at his film and lack of production, the more you start to realize why he was graded where he originally was.  It happens with a lot of the "workout warrior" guys, they move up around the combine and pro days, then fall back down the board under closer examination.

As an aside, I think 40 times are somewhat overrated when it comes to LB's.  If you have a 4.5 guy and a 4.7 guy that can make his reads and/or get off his blocks .1 of a second faster, the 4.7 guy is going to get there faster on any play within 20 yards.  A fast 40 is nice, but you still need great instincts and have to be able to defeat blockers quickly to be good.

To me, health being equal, there's not much debate between a DT that could be the next Aaron Donald and a LB that could be the next Jordan Hicks(I'm personally not that high on Bush, but for arguments sake).  Bush plugs a hole.  Oliver is a guy that you potentially build around for a decade.

He was a top 15 guy pre combine. Film was there all along people were sleeping on it post OSU beatdown, but it was there all year. I had him as a possible fit with a trade back to 15 with Washington back in January. Also the sink back and rise up have nothing to do with people watching film 95% of fans don’t watch film or know what they are even watching.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 11:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: He was a top 15 guy pre combine. Film was there all along people were sleeping on it post OSU beatdown, but it was there all year. I had him as a possible fit with a trade back to 15 with Washington back in January. Also the sink back and rise up have nothing to do with people watching film 95% of fans don’t watch film or know what they are even watching.

I didn't see many with a Top 15 grade on Bush pre combine, at least nobody I follow.  I haven't watched his OSU tape, mainly because he left injured halfway through and it was clear watching the game live that he didn't play well.  I think most amateur draftniks at least watch a game or two of guys that get mocked to us, or at least check out some highlights.  Frankly, there's a lot not to like even in his highlights, but I've already said my piece on the guy and don't want to pile on.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 08:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: Kind of interesting. This puts into perspective how deep the draft can be when you see some really nice players available in the 2nd. Even if you don't agree with the order of some players you can look down the list and see no matter what there will be really solid players on the board when we pick in the 2nd round.

Bengals Picks:

Devin Bush, LB, Michigan  

I would be pissed if they passed up two potential starting tackles for a TE that MIGHT see 50 targets in a season.  They need to stop falling in love with fancy wheels, pinstripes, and hood ornaments and build a damn solid body.  

I should add that I would be fine with the Bush selection
Reply/Quote
Looking at the entire draft order, I came away with the following observations:

1.) I don't think the Bucs will be drafting a LB at that position. I just don't.

2.) I have a strong feeling that White will be there when the Bengals pick and even though some teams will be very eager to trade up, the Bengals can't pass on him

3.) Even though there will be some sexy picks available in Rd 2, I think the Bengals realize the lack of depth and potential high-end talent at OT on their roster must be addressed. I can see a McGary or Little as their selection, again with no trades.

4.) This is obviously pure speculation, but based on what the Rams did with addressing their line when McVay took over the Rams I could see an emphasis on the lines on both sides and working with more of the existing pieces at WR, RB, and TE. They will surely draft one of all three of those positions, but I think they will target more "jack of all trades" guys at those spots that don't jump off the page athletically but will be solid contributors.

5.) The very well could try to trade back in to Rd 2 and go after a player like Dexter Lawrence (though he screams Patriots at 32) if he is there after they select. There could even be a player trade involving someone we wouldn't see coming, like Carl Lawson. Originally a 4th rounder, if they could move him to get a 2nd rounder and draft a player like Lawrence or even a second tackle like Little, it could happen. I love Lawson, but I am saying that I think the team will pull out all stops, as they did last year with the Glenn trade, to get more talent and depth on the lines.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 07:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Looking at the entire draft order, I came away with the following observations:

1.) I don't think the Bucs will be drafting a LB at that position.  I just don't.

2.) I have a strong feeling that White will be there when the Bengals pick and even though some teams will be very eager to trade up, the Bengals can't pass on him

3.) Even though there will be some sexy picks available in Rd 2, I think the Bengals realize the lack of depth and potential high-end talent at OT on their roster must be addressed.  I can see a McGary or Little as their selection, again with no trades.

4.) This is obviously pure speculation, but based on what the Rams did with addressing their line when McVay took over the Rams I could see an emphasis on the lines on both sides and working with more of the existing pieces at WR, RB, and TE.  They will surely draft one of all three of those positions, but I think they will target more "jack of all trades" guys at those spots that don't jump off the page athletically but will be solid contributors.  

5.) The very well could try to trade back in to Rd 2 and go after a player like Dexter Lawrence (though he screams Patriots at 32) if he is there after they select.  There could even be a player trade involving someone we wouldn't see coming, like Carl Lawson.  Originally a 4th rounder, if they could move him to get a 2nd rounder and draft a player like Lawrence or even a second tackle like Little, it could happen.  I love Lawson, but I am saying that I think the team will pull out all stops, as they did last year with the Glenn trade, to get more talent and depth on the lines.

Very easily could be.  It really depends on 2 things (you've touched on them)

1.  The Bucs decide that drafting a DT or edge is a much better pick than a LB.
2.  The Broncos pick a QB.

Both of those are 50/50 IMO.  There are guys that swear the worst kept secret in the draft is White to the Bucs and the 2nd worst kept secret is Elway's love for Drew Lock.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 09:08 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Very easily could be.  It really depends on 2 things (you've touched on them)

1.  The Bucs decide that drafting a DT or edge is a much better pick than a LB.
2.  The Broncos pick a QB.

Both of those are 50/50 IMO.  There are guys that swear the worst kept secret in the draft is White to the Bucs and the 2nd worst kept secret is Elway's love for Drew Lock.

I think Josh Allan to the Bucs makes sense with their move to a 3-4, hopefully he is there as I think that is our best shot.

Edit: Right after I said that they are hosting Ed Oliver and Dexter Lawrence. This seems more and more likely they are about to cut Gerald McCoy. The rumor is they are shopping him and getting no interest.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 07:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Give me Jawaan Taylor and Dexter Lawrence in that scenario. Beef, it's whats for dinner.

This is my thought as well then we could add Pratt or Long in the 3rd for our Linebacker need.
Reply/Quote