Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need a little research help
I once saw a study about NFL free agency that showed that less than half of free agents play out their full contracts. In fact I believe it said that only something like a third of them were even with their new teams more than two years. The thing is I can't remember the exact numbers.

I have been trying to google for it, but I have not had any luck. All of my search requests are to vague. They either bring up the technical rules of free agency or failures in general.

Have any of you seen this study before? i am pretty sure it was within the last couple of years.
Reply/Quote
Yahoo Sports

Quote:Everybody loves big-number free-agent contracts with multiple years and multiple zeroes — players can put a price on their worth, agents can demonstrate their own value, teams can show how much they're willing to shell out to field a winner.

Of course, the truth is that in the NFL, few of those monster contracts ever pay out completely. Most players get cut long before they cash every allotted paycheck. The actual number, though, is pretty surprising.

The Big Lead has crunched the numbers, and found that over a period from 2005 to 2010, only eight percent of the top 50 free agents across that time who signed deals of five-plus years ended up playing out their contract. Those players: Drew Brees, Reggie Hayward, Derrick Mason, Charles Woodson, and Adam Vinatieri, with Justin Smith, presumably on San Francisco's roster at the start of next season, rounding out the list.

So how long did players usually last? Players with five-year deals lasted an average of 2.9 years, six-year deals lasted 3.1 years, and seven-year deals averaged 3.7 years. (Albert Haynesworth, pictured above, was released outright less than three years after the Redskins signed him to a seven-year deal, and by then three teams had given up on him.) The message, then, is clear: take your big contract and cut it roughly in half.

TBL breaks down the contract length by position, and this is one case where kickers and punters actually come out on top: they average more than 80 percent of their contract length. At the other end of the spectrum: wide receivers, safeties and offensive tackles, who each average less than half their signed contract length.

This what you're looking for?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 01:13 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yahoo Sports

Someone send that to Marvin, Adam, George and Reggie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have to wonder if this is a FA thing or more of a "monster contract" thing.

I'd take this info with a grain of salt unless you can also come up with how many home grown players finish out monster contracts.

Think about it. We hear every year about teams releasing players to save money or get under the cap, and it's just as likely - if not more so - that those players were drafted rather than signed via FA. That said, the Bengals probably provide a better opportunity to play out your full contract if you sign with them. Just look at Leon Hall. Most other teams would've restructured or released him last year at $9 million.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 02:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have to wonder if this is a FA thing or more of a "monster contract" thing.

I'd take this info with a grain of salt unless you can also come up with how many home grown players finish out monster contracts.

Think about it. We hear every year about teams releasing players to save money or get under the cap, and it's just as likely - if not more so - that those players were drafted rather than signed via FA. That said, the Bengals probably provide a better opportunity to play out your full contract if you sign with them. Just look at Leon Hall. Most other teams would've restructured or released him last year at $9 million.

I'd be willing to bet the numbers are noticeably higher for those that stay with their former teams than those who go elsewhere for their 2nd/3rd contracts (obviously not 100% of the contract but much better than those who leave). Take in the fact that most of the true franchise type players never reach FA, the fact that the teams that go out and sign big time outside FA's often find themselves in cap trouble, and the fact that many players just don't fit in their new scheme I would be stunned to find out that the numbers aren't clearly better for those that stay in with their old team. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 01:13 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Yahoo Sports

Rep.

Good job DA.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 01:41 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Someone send that to Marvin, Adam, George and Reggie.

I second this motion!  Hilarious
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote