Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renell Wren
I liked his potential when we took him in the fourth round, but he was not a highly accomplished college star.

At the combine he was the 5th heaviest (318) among the 33 "Dline" (not "edge") and not surprisingly was 5th in the bench press, but he also finished around the top ten in many of the running, jumping, and agility tests.

4th in broad jump (118")
9th in vertical (32")
12th in forty yard dash (5.01)
12th in short shuttle (4.53)
13th in 3 cone (7.65)

They said he showed a quick first step on film, but his production was lacking. His senior year he had 43 tackles, 4.5 TFL, and 1 sack for Arizona State.

He only played 155 snaps his rookie season, and I always say you can't judge a plyer but his rookie season (especially a 4th rounder), but does anyone still have hope of him becoming the type of player who could contribute solid play in a rotation. 20%-25% of defensive snaps usually amounts to 15 to 20 plays a game. That is a significant number of plays and could make a big difference in our defensive performance.

I will say I still have hope, but I am certainly not betting on it. All I know is we need depth at dt.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I liked his potential when we took him in the fourth round, but he was not a highly accomplished college star.

At the combine he was the 5th heaviest (318) among the 33 "Dline" (not "edge") and not surprisingly was 5th in the bench press, but he also finished around the top ten in many of the running, jumping, and agility tests.

4th in broad jump (118")
9th in vertical (32")
13th in 3 cone (7.65)

They said he showed a quick first step on film, but his production was lacking.  His senior year he had 43 tackles, 4.5 TFL, and 1 sack for Arizona State.

He only played 155 snaps his rookie season, and I always say you can't judge a plyer but his rookie season (especially a 4th rounder), but does anyone still have hope of him becoming the type of player who could contribute solid play in a rotation. 20%-25% of defensive snaps usually amounts to 15 to 20 plays a game.  That is a significant number of plays and could make a big difference in our defensive performance.

I will say I still have hope, but I am certainly not betting on it.  All I know is we need depth at dt.

As being a Bengals fan has taught me: Hope is not a plan

Wren has/had huge potential for sure, but with all of the serious injuries he seems to have every ability but the most important one: Availability.

I actually like the DT rotation as it is due to the Bengals seemingly wanting to go with multiple/flexible fronts. I'm interested in the camp battles at the back of that spot for sure.

I see the locks barring injury as this: Daniels, Reader, Shelvin, Ogunjobi

^ And with the ends the Bengals drafted, doesn't that allow Hubbard or Hendrickson to bounce inside on passing downs if needed? I mean, do you need more beef in the middle other than the above 4 guys? Again, barring injury. Does the 5th DT even dress on game days?

Mix the above together and I see the roster fight boiling down to Wren vs Tupou (whom I also thought looked like a really strong player for the Bengals).

Looking forward to camp!
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I liked his potential when we took him in the fourth round, but he was not a highly accomplished college star.

4th in broad jump (118")
9th in vertical (32")
13th in 3 cone (7.65)

They said he showed a quick first step on film, but his production was lacking.  His senior year he had 43 tackles, 4.5 TFL, and 1 sack for Arizona State.

He only played 155 snaps his rookie season, and I always say you can't judge a plyer but his rookie season (especially a 4th rounder), but does anyone still have hope of him becoming the type of player who could contribute solid play in a rotation. 20%-25% of defensive snaps usually amounts to 15 to 20 plays a game.  That is a significant number of plays and could make a big difference in our defensive performance.

I will say I still have hope, but I am certainly not betting on it.  All I know is we need depth at dt.

He was all about potential when we drafted him, not surprised he hasn't shown much yet. There is an OTA vid BengalsBong
provided in the OTA's thread where Wren definitely had the quickest feet of the big guys in the vid. Big damn dude that is for
sure, his nickname is Mount Wren and hope he finally comes around this year in the rotation. Could happen who knows...
Reply/Quote
Last offseason Wren said on a podcast he was going to be a starter in the Base 34 Defense (likely 5-tech but didn't clarify) so the team obviously liked what the seen develop in practice in 2019. Now Wren has to come back from a knee and is on the bubble. I would like to see him push out a guy like Mike Daniels. Daniels is a solid rotational guy but Wren is young an very talented and can play any position on the interior defensive line.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 03:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I see the locks barring injury as this: Daniels, Reader, Shelvin, Ogunjobi

Daniels is not a lock.

We only paid him $1.5 million with 400K guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 05:43 PM)Synric Wrote: Last offseason Wren said on a podcast he was going to be a starter in the Base 34 Defense (likely 5-tech but didn't clarify)

He is tall (6'5").  And this sound ridiculous, but 318 is not that heavy for a guy 6'5".  He looks like a prototype 3-4 DE.
Reply/Quote
Ehh..Who cares as long as the cheer leaders aren't a bunch of ugly old broads anymore?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think Wren can be a asset. You know the old saying
"You cant teach height". Wren has a radius that can be very helpful when trying
To negate the qb scanning downfield and disrupting his sightlines
Hey nothing wrong in a batted pass that hangs in the air.
Those tend to lead to game changing picks by the LBers
Id like to see Wren be more violent with his hands and more physical
Overall in.his approach
Sometimes when.players Have that obvious size advantage coming up
Through high school and college thats all they need to win
The one on one battles. But in the pros you need some fire and rage
To make the difference
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 05:43 PM)Synric Wrote: Last offseason Wren said on a podcast he was going to be a starter in the Base 34 Defense (likely 5-tech but didn't clarify) so the team obviously liked what the seen develop in practice in 2019. Now Wren has to come back from a knee and is on the bubble. I would like to see him push out a guy like Mike Daniels. Daniels is a solid rotational guy but Wren is young an very talented and can play any position on the interior defensive line.

That versatility and his potential and it could happen.

(06-09-2021, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Daniels is not a lock.

Truth.

(06-09-2021, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is tall (6'5").  And this sound ridiculous, but 318 is not that heavy for a guy 6'5".  He looks like a prototype 3-4 DE.

What stands out to me is he is just very athletic for a DT. Dude is in shape. 

Don't have to worry about this guy pulling a Sam Adams.

(06-09-2021, 07:04 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Wren can be a asset. You know the old saying
"You cant teach height". Wren has a radius that can be very helpful when trying
To negate the qb scanning downfield and disrupting his sightlines
Hey nothing wrong in a batted pass that hangs in the air.
Those tend to lead to game changing picks by the LBers
Id like to see Wren be more violent with his hands and  more physical
Overall in.his approach
Sometimes when.players Have that obvious size advantage coming up
Through high school and college thats all they need to win
The one on one battles. But in the pros you need some fire and rage
To make the difference

Yeah, Mount Wren has played like Jane so far. Needs to play with much more intensity.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 06:59 PM)grampahol Wrote: Ehh..Who cares as long as the cheer leaders aren't a bunch of ugly old broads anymore?

No more Charles Bronson's. Mellow
Reply/Quote

4th in broad jump (118")
9th in vertical (32")
13th in 3 cone (7.65)

I thought he had potential and maybe he will help push Tupao.  I think the organization might be kind of down on Tupao after a healthy opt-out left them very short handed at DT, so maybe Wren will either elevate and take his spot or bring out the best in Tupao.  Either way, I think his being here will help.  Can he become a starter?  Not likely this year.  He would have to show a lot this year.  
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Ace and Zim just recently interviewed him for the New Stripe City channel if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/oUBkCyJC-As

Reply/Quote

4th in broad jump (118")
9th in vertical (32")
13th in 3 cone (7.65)

I had more hope for Marcus Hardison coming into the league than I have for Renell Wren. 
Both were 4th round picks.
Both were about the same size in their last season in college, but Hardison was a much better pass rusher.
As we know, Hardison amounted to nothing in the NFL.
I expect the same for Wren.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Daniels is not a lock.

Agreed, Daniels could be on way out if "Mt. Wren"  shows promise in preseason. I like the size and potential versitality Wren can offer with his length, he can also handle End duties too. If Topou can come back in shape that will give us 3 monster space eaters in Reader, Shelvin and him to rotate.  
Reply/Quote
Wren has great physical tools and that’s about it, he wasn’t even that good in college. I don’t have high expectations for Wren and always viewed him as a project. I think the only way he makes the roster is if he can show some ability to rush the passer because we have so many run stuffing NT types. I get the appeal of being intrigued by a players physical tools. I’ll never forget the day the Bengals drafted Geno Atkins. I was at work and I saw on my phone that the Bengals drafted a DT from Georgia. I immediately looked at his profile and I remember being disappointed when I saw he was only 6’1 300 pounds thinking it was a wasted pick because he was so small.
Reply/Quote