Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
offensive line
We need an OL. Period. I don't care what we have to do to build a good OL for this team. I love Dalton, but even if it means getting rid of him to fix the OL we need to do it. If we get a new QB at this point they will quickly mentally break with the state of the OL. Dalton isn't the problem IMO, and people always point to other QBs who can make bad OLs work (Wilson, Watson), but those are a different type of QBs. They hold onto the ball a long time and scramble, making their sack numbers inflated. It does extend the plays and not make the OL as big of a deal, but there are some draw backs with those types of QBs. They're good QBs, but I feel like Bengals fans long for those type of players because of the state of our offense when a pocket passer like Dalton can shred teams with good protection, which is big for Dalton.

Everyone know this OL is pathetic. We can't even get the running game with Mixon and Gio, who IMO are one of the best tandem RBs in the league. It's so sad when this OL is the worst in run blocking and pass blocking in the league. This season is obviously lost, so we need to do some scouting now on possible FAs and draft picks RIGHT NOW to fix the OL. The LB core is bad, but upgrading the OL IMO is way more important at this point.

I'm still a Bengals fan, but I cringe when I tell people I root for the Bengals right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Williams will be ok, who knows tho. Draft a couple of lineman in 2nd and 3rd rounds. Pursue the best free agent RG and RTs. Bring in a couple of other free agent lineman for backups who should be better than what they have. Get rid of Andre, Hart, and let ones like Miller, Jordan, and Price fight for a job, or cut them.

Lets say Williams will be good, and they do go out and actually upgrade the right side of the line. That will be a huge swing in a span of a year of quality, and at the very worst would be an average o-line overall.

But will or can the front office do this? I have my doubts. And if money is an issue to do so, shop Geno for a trade for anything to free up that 14-16 million a year the next 3 seasons after this. He was a great player for them over the years, but thats a lot of coin for an aging dt in his 30s.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:32 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We need an OL. Period. I don't care what we have to do to build a good OL for this team. I love Dalton, but even if it means getting rid of him to fix the OL we need to do it. If we get a new QB at this point they will quickly mentally break with the state of the OL. Dalton isn't the problem IMO, and people always point to other QBs who can make bad OLs work (Wilson, Watson), but those are a different type of QBs. They hold onto the ball a long time and scramble, making their sack numbers inflated. It does extend the plays and not make the OL as big of a deal, but there are some draw backs with those types of QBs. They're good QBs, but I feel like Bengals fans long for those type of players because of the state of our offense when a pocket passer like Dalton can shred teams with good protection, which is big for Dalton.

Everyone know this OL is pathetic. We can't even get the running game with Mixon and Gio, who IMO are one of the best tandem RBs in the league. It's so sad when this OL is the worst in run blocking and pass blocking in the league. This season is obviously lost, so we need to do some scouting now on possible FAs and draft picks RIGHT NOW to fix the OL. The LB core is bad, but upgrading the OL IMO is way more important at this point.

I'm still a Bengals fan, but I cringe when I tell people I root for the Bengals right now.

How would 'getting rid of Dalton to fix the offensive line work'?

Do you think some teams are out there like 'Wow - IF the Bengals would trade Andy Dalton, I'd give 3 1st Round picks!

I struggle to think of a team in the NFL that would offer us something of value for him. 

Jacksonville? Nope - Minshew is playing great.
Arizona? Nope - Kyler.
Tennessee? Note - I'd rather roll with Mariota.

Cincy is probably the only place he'll be a starter long-term.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How would 'getting rid of Dalton to fix the offensive line work'?

Do you think some teams are out there like 'Wow - IF the Bengals would trade Andy Dalton, I'd give 3 1st Round picks!

I struggle to think of a team in the NFL that would offer us something of value for him. 

Jacksonville? Nope - Minshew is playing great.
Arizona? Nope - Kyler.
Tennessee? Note - I'd rather roll with Mariota.

Cincy is probably the only place he'll be a starter long-term.

You'd probably get a late third early 4Th for Dalton not great but not bad. Honestly think he can turn his career around in a place like New Orleans.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:45 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Hopefully Williams will be ok, who knows tho. Draft a couple of lineman in 2nd and 3rd rounds. Pursue the best free agent RG and RTs. Bring in a couple of other free agent lineman for backups who should be better than what they have. Get rid of Andre, Hart, and let ones like Miller, Jordan, and Price fight for a job, or cut them.

Lets say Williams will be good, and they do go out and actually upgrade the right side of the line. That will be a huge swing in a span of a year of quality, and at the very worst would be an average o-line overall.

But will or can the front office do this? I have my doubts. And if money is an issue to do so, shop Geno for a trade for anything to free up that 14-16 million a year the next 3 seasons after this. He was a great player for them over the years, but thats a lot of coin for an aging dt in his 30s.
They don't need to get rid of Geno to make cap room. 
Cut Brown, Kirkpatrick, S Williams, Glenn, Webb, Hart, and trade Dalton. That would get us to 95 million in Cap Room.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:54 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: You'd probably get a late third early 4Th for Dalton not great but not bad. Honestly think he can turn his career around in a place like New Orleans.

The Saints have Bridgewater and Hill. I doubt they'd want him.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: They don't need to get rid of Geno to make cap room. 
Cut Brown, Kirkpatrick, S Williams, Glenn, Webb, Hart, and trade Dalton. That would get us to 95 million in Cap Room.

They had some $50 million in cap space this past offseason and signed injured players in Dennard and Eifert, and a bunch of subpar free agents. Then, they talked guys like Hart up they kept like they were budding stars.

What makes you think they'd do better with $95 million?
Reply/Quote
lol Dalton would be able to get a decent draft pick. I don't know what you guys are thinking. Any organization understands that Dalton is a good QB when the team doesn't have a college level OL around him. Hell, I would say some college teams have a better OL.

Oh, wow. A QB isn't playing good under an underwhelming rookie HC, and one of the worst OLs I've ever seen when he's a pocket passer QB. Who would have thought.
Reply/Quote
Many of us saw this coming when the Bengals did very little to upgrade one of the worst o lines and LB groups in the league in 2018.

Besides all the other bad players, I cannot believe how awful Price looked yesterday.

He was getting abused at left guard and they took him out.

How in the world did we waste a 1 on Price??? He will get cut next year if he fails to massively improve.

Aside from all the other issues, we have failed miserably at the draft since we took those two sorry OTs Og and Fisher.

If Mike Brown does not get the fact that his scouting department has failed miserably over the last five years and that he needs to change the top guy and add a lot of other scouts and resources, Lost Decade II here we come with team out of Cincy as soon as soon as lease expires.

( I would lay a large wager that Brown family are doing strategic planning right now that includes the option of moving when lease expires)

Someone explain to me why we canned the former Dallas o line coach - one of the best in the league- for Taylor's buddy from Miami?

Also, someone explain why we wasted a second round pick on an obscure tight end who does not play very much instead of drafting another o lineman or LB?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 04:17 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Many of us saw this coming when the Bengals did very little to upgrade one of the worst o lines and LB groups in the league in 2018.

Besides all the other bad players, I cannot believe how awful Price looked yesterday.

How in the world did we waste a 1 on Price??? He will get cut next year if he fails to massively improve.

Aside from all the other issues, we have failed miserably at the draft since we took those two sorry OTs Og and Fisher.

If Mike Brown does not get the fact that his scouting department has failed miserably over the last five years and that he needs to change the top guy and add a lot of other scouts and resources, Lost Decade II here we come with team out of Cincy as soon as soon as lease expires.

( I would lay a large wager that Brown family are doing strategic planning right now that includes the option of moving when lease expires)

Someone explain to me why we canned the former Dallas o line coach - one of the best in the league- for Taylor's buddy from Miami?

Also, someone explain why we wasted a second round pick on an obscure tight end who does not play very much instead of drafting another o lineman or LB?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 04:11 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: lol Dalton would be able to get a decent draft pick. I don't know what you guys are thinking. Any organization understands that Dalton is a good QB when the team doesn't have a college level OL around him. Hell, I would say some college teams have a better OL.

Oh, wow. A QB isn't playing good under an underwhelming rookie HC, and one of the worst OLs I've ever seen when he's a pocket passer QB. Who would have thought.

Name teams that would be willing to give up a high draft pick and put Dalton as their starter.
Reply/Quote
You’re asking this FO to cook a three course meal using a microwave.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 04:17 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Many of us saw this coming when the Bengals did very little to upgrade one of the worst o lines and LB groups in the league in 2018.

Did many see it coming? I posted all kinds of stuff I saw coming like how ZT was in over his head and got called negative for months. I talked about how he was a bad OC at UC and Miami. How the coaches were inexperienced. How the line...every player was not better than atleast below average at best and it would be a Terrible line, etc.
Reply/Quote
Front office has their eye on this free agent to bring in and help with the rest of the offense.

[Image: S8Bn5uj.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 04:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Name teams that would be willing to give up a high draft pick and put Dalton as their starter.

Yeah you have a point here. I was just skimming through the other 31 teams, and there really isnt one that I can see make a trade for Andy. Almost all teams are pretty set at QB, or at least has a rookie or 2nd year guy they spent a lot of draft collateral on. I did think maybe the Bucs, but Winston is improving under Arians, so kind of nixed that. So I think it would have to be the Dolphins perhaps, even though they will draft their next QB in the draft. Trade for Andy while they groom their rookie? I doubt it though. Maybe the Bears even? Thats about it unless a team suffers a catastrophic injury and they have a legit playoff team.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:54 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: You'd probably get a late third early 4Th for Dalton not great but not bad. Honestly think he can turn his career around in a place like New Orleans.

Without a doubt, but sadly NO is purring right along with Bridgewater. I don't know the Bears cap/situation or how long Trubisky is going to be out - but that is another contender you should have on speed dial. If/when things fall apart, they may be willing to go crazy to stay in contention.

Also, Denver may be interested at some point.

Point being if things fall into place we can probably do better than 3-4 for Dalton. 

*If he doesn't get killed behind this "line"

Reply/Quote
The oline is in such shambles now getting Alex Redmond back
Looks like a immediate upgrade
That's pretty bad
Reply/Quote
Until Cincinnati replaces the offensive line comprised of Jiggle, Flinch, Lurch, Waddle, and False Start the Bengals aren’t going anywhere. Jim Turner needs poop-canned like yesterday!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:32 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We need an OL. Period.

Any other amazing deductions Captain Obvious? 

We have needed an OL for 3 years now. Many here, including myself have said it for 3 years - this team is going nowhere without and OL and better LB's. Huge gaps in talents that opposing coaches exploit week after week while Mr. Magoo sits in his corner office and tells everyone how badly he wants to win. 

What was once sad is now pathetic. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Basically we need to hope to god Williams can be a good LT. Then maybe Jordan or Price can be somewhat serviceable at one of the guard spots and role with Hopkins at center. Price is off to a bad start and gave up a sack on one of his first plays in last night lol. Need to draft a RT in round one if there's one worth taking. At this rate we should have a top 5 pick . The Bengals are going to have to bite the bullet and spend on linebackers in free agency because they can't address all there holes in one draft no matter how many comp picks they accumulate.
Reply/Quote