Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"old" prospects to the rescue?
I was not impressed that we got a couple of 26 year old minor league players, but Tyler Holt (claimed off waivers) and Adam Duval (acquired in Leake trade) look like they could step right into bench roles at the major league level.  

Holt is a speedy outfielder who has only hit .219 in 102 major league at-bats over the last two seasons.  But he has also accumulated 595 at bats at triple A level, and looked pretty impressive.  He hit .304 with 89 walks for a very impressive .398 on base percentage.  He also stole 45 bases while only getting caught 9 times.

Duval is a Firstbaseman/ourfielder who has 137 career major league at bats with the Giants and Reds.  He has only hit .204, but he has a lot of pop.  He has hit a HR every 17.1 at bats (8 in 137) which is better than what Frazier averaged last season (one every 17.6).  Duvall's power is no fluke.  Over the last two seasons he has hit 57 HR in only 856 at bats at the triple A level (one every 15.0).  He has also hit for decent average (.278), and stroked 50 doubles and 5 triples compiling a very impressive .548 slugging percentage.

Neither of these guys will be a star in the majors, but we really needed some decent position players because we had none at Louisville.
Reply/Quote
Starting to think one of these guys will be starting in LF for us next year. If Duval is really lame in the field we might move Bruce to LF and play Duval in right.
Reply/Quote
I think the Reds are going to duct tape a team together this year but they do have some guys that look decent.

Duval is a hammer but I think he strikes out alot. Kind of similar to Bruce in that way.

The Reds also seem to be going after speed with alot of these prospects. It would be nice to have 3 or 4 regulars who could steal 20+ a year. That would be crazy.

I think we will have to keep this year into prospective.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 11:47 AM)tigerseye Wrote: I think the Reds are going to duct tape a team together this year but they do have some guys that look decent.

Duval is a hammer but I think he strikes out alot. Kind of similar to Bruce in that way.

The Reds also seem to be going after speed with alot of these prospects. It would be nice to have 3 or 4 regulars who could steal 20+ a year. That would be crazy.

I think we will have to keep this year into prospective.

GABP is a hitters park.  I think the Reds will continue to build around power just because we play half our games in a hitter friendly park
Reply/Quote
Yes ,I agree. Hoping for some speed too. Maybe in a couple years:Hamilton, Peraza, Holt, Rodriguez (Cuban-SS,suppose to be signing at some point), P. Ervin, Trahan. It would be nice to have a bunch of speed to go with the power as an added diminsion. Combo of power and speed would be nice. Never know with prospects though. Crap shoot.
Reply/Quote
Don't worry..even if we have a guy who can hit 60 HRs, .360 avg and steals 80 bases he'll hit in the pitchers spot so Billy can swing his. 143 average away in the leadoff spot and JB with his. 220 and 15 HRs hitting cleanup.. Place your faith in Mr Price..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why are you guys talking about Chad Mottola?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 01:43 AM)grampahol Wrote: Don't worry..even if we have a guy who can hit 60 HRs, .360 avg and steals 80 bases he'll hit in the pitchers spot so Billy can swing his. 143 average away in the leadoff spot and JB with his. 220 and 15 HRs hitting cleanup..  Place your faith in Mr Price..

Less than half of Hamilton's ABs last year were from the lead off positio (187 of 412), and less than half of Bruce's at bats were in the 4 spot (219 of 580).

Thanks for proving how much you know about the Reds.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Starting to think one of these guys will be starting in LF for us next year.  If Duval is really lame in the field we might move Bruce to LF and play Duval in right.

Reds projected lineup shows Duval in LF at the moment.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Duvall will be our starting LF.

God I hope Billy has worked on his hitting this off season.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:21 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: God I hope Billy has worked on his hitting this off season.

He got WORSE instead of better last year.  He has to be better this year.  His speed is ridiculous.  

Some of our coaches should go to jail in Hamilton can't drag bunt consistently this year.  He doesn't have to do it all the time, but the threat would force the 3B to play up close (impossible to get a bunting Hamilton out if you don't) which would open up holes to hit through.  And if he could do it right it would be almost unstoppable even with the 3B playing in. 
Reply/Quote
I wonder if it would help Hamiltons OBP if he only hit from one side of the plate. I'm sure the Reds know way more than I do on the matter but it's a thought. I don't know what his splits are but if he would just concentrate on being on the right side (bat left) maybe he would show improvement and be a step closer to 1st.

If he can figure out how to get his OBP up he'll be rich.  Slugging not a big deal for him.

Just get the ball on the ground. Willie Mays Hayes.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 04:42 PM)tigerseye Wrote: I wonder if it would help Hamiltons OBP if he only hit from one side of the plate. I'm sure the Reds know way more than I do on the matter but it's a thought. I don't know what his splits are but if he would just concentrate on being on the right side (bat left) maybe he would show improvement and be a step closer to 1st.

If he can figure out how to get his OBP up he'll be rich.  Slugging not a big deal for him.

It seems so obvious, yet it's something he can't do well at all.  He's a fly ball hitter.

Supposedly, Pete Rose was gonna work with him in the off season so I guess we'll soon see the results.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 04:42 PM)tigerseye Wrote: I wonder if it would help Hamiltons OBP if he only hit from one side of the plate. I'm sure the Reds know way more than I do on the matter but it's a thought. I don't know what his splits are but if he would just concentrate on being on the right side (bat left) maybe he would show improvement and be a step closer to 1st.

(02-19-2016, 05:53 PM)McC Wrote: It seems so obvious, yet it's something he can't do well at all.  He's a fly ball hitter.

Supposedly, Pete Rose was gonna work with him in the off season so I guess we'll soon see the results.

He oughta be made to do push ups every time he pops up.....

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
[Image: willie-mays-hayes.jpg?w=264&h=188]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It's gonna be a very long year fellow Red's fan's.
Reply/Quote
Duvall wins opening day start in LF.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy with Duvall in left. He seems to have a good bat. We'll see if he sticks or if he's just a filler until we can develop some of our better prospects, like Jesse Winker and Phillip Ervin.
Reply/Quote
Holt re-called from triple A and placed on opening day roster.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Holt re-called from triple A and placed on opening day roster.

Uses his speed to make a great defensive play in the ninth inning.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 10:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uses his speed to make a great defensive play in the ninth inning.

And tagged up rather easily on a fairly short fly ball.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote