Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
pick 33 big board
(04-07-2020, 12:33 PM)Whatever Wrote: With our 2nd and 4th, you have to look long and hard at who's there.  There's very likely a 1st round talent sitting there at 33.  Is that worth passing up for a couple of day 3 picks?  Trading down in 4 isn't a good play because we already have a ton of bubble type players and that's what you're adding.  With most or all of OTA's wiped out, it's very likely that a lot of those 5-7 guys wind up outplayed by their vet counterparts and cut.

The way things are, you have to be skeptical of any player who is supposedly shooting up the draft boards.  There's really no reason for them to rising because there's no new information available to cause.  It's likely predraft smoke screens by teams and agents trying to get someone to bite.

In reality, we have zero idea who is shooting up the draft boards in the REAL war rooms.  The media always has their hype and guys that are rising, but I would bet that NFL teams boards don't drastically change much.  They base most of their grades on film, not on workouts.

You can't tell me that they didn't have a decent feel for Queen after watching all those LSU games with Fulton, Delpit and the other defensive prospects.  He may have gotten a bump in attention because most didn't think he would enter the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 01:15 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I have a sneaking suspicion that Tua is going to be the fall guy (pun intended). Tua's going to fall harder and further than Brady Quinn... Ninja  

That would be shocking. I'd be surprised if he made it to pick 5. My honest guess as to who falls the most? Henry Ruggs. Do I want him at 33? Not really. 
Reply/Quote
Considering only guys I think have a decent chance to be there:

Josh Jones
Cesar Ruiz
Patrick Queen
Denzel Mims
Kenneth Murray
Jalen Reagor
Ezra Cleveland
Zach Baun
Michael Pittman

Anyone not a QB rated higher that unexpectedly falls, I would also be ok with.
Reply/Quote
Let's say each of these 4 guys are sitting there at #33. How would you rank them?

Cesar Ruiz, IOL
Denzel Mims, WR
Josh Jones, OT
Patrick Queen, LB

I just ran a TDN mock and this exact scenario played out and it broke my brain
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 03:33 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Let's say each of these 4 guys are sitting there at #33.  How would you rank them?

Cesar Ruiz, IOL
Denzel Mims, WR
Josh Jones, OT
Patrick Queen, LB

I would say Ruiz would be the highest priority.  It's a bad IOL class and most of the day 3 guys can't pull, meaning they can't play in our offense.

Mims would be a great fit, but if he's there, WR's as a whole are probably falling.  That means you could probably get a guy like Higgins , Claypool, or Aiyuk in 3.

Jones is a good prospect for the future and a good scheme fit, but between the small school learning curve, technique issues, and strength concerns, he's not a plug and play starter.  Mims and Ruiz are.

Queen is overrated and are we really going defense in 2 after signing 5 new starters in FA?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 03:33 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Let's say each of these 4 guys are sitting there at #33.  How would you rank them?

Cesar Ruiz, IOL
Denzel Mims, WR
Josh Jones, OT
Patrick Queen, LB

Mims, Ruiz, Queen, and Jones.  The main reason is I view Mims as a potential long term answer to AJ Green because I think he can be that caliber of player and is extremely underrated because of his QB situation.  Cesar Ruiz is an excellent talent, but ultimately he's a center and it depends on how important we feel that position is.  Queen is far from a sure thing and is more developmental than people view on these forums, but he's extremely young and he has a really high ceiling.

We primarily need a right tackle and the best fit for that role would not be Jones it would be Isaiah Wilson or Lucas Niang.  Personally I have already seen articles about Wilson rising to the top of the 2nd round so don't be surprised if he's in play.  

Last thing I want to say is if we decide to draft a center how much better is Ruiz than Cushenberry and would you prefer a guy who has proven experience working with the future QB of the team.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 03:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: I would say Ruiz would be the highest priority.  It's a bad IOL class and most of the day 3 guys can't pull, meaning they can't play in our offense.

Mims would be a great fit, but if he's there, WR's as a whole are probably falling.  That means you could probably get a guy like Higgins , Claypool, or Aiyuk in 3.

Jones is a good prospect for the future and a good scheme fit, but between the small school learning curve, technique issues, and strength concerns, he's not a plug and play starter.  Mims and Ruiz are.

Queen is overrated and are we really going defense in 2 after signing 5 new starters in FA?  

WhoDey2 My idea would be :

1. Mims or Claypool...I think they will use #33 for AJ's replacement.
2.Queen....the only type of LBer we still "could use" is an off the ball thumper.
3  Ruiz...I know this is the year of change, but the Bengals don't usually draft IOL that high. I think they'll look for a decent G in a draft day trade.
4.  Josh Jones...With everything that Whatever posted about Jones, now we also have to take in account the fact that he just got arrested. He may be in a free fall... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Cesar Ruiz, IOL
Denzel Mims, WR
Josh Jones, OT
Patrick Queen, LB

Ruiz
Josh Jones
Queen
Mims

In that order, the only reason I have Queen above Mims is how deep the WR class is and the fact Mims pushes off a lot.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 11:09 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I agree. I think they have to trade down this year in round 2 and possibly 4. The advantage they get from coaching the Senior Bowl is magnified 10x over other years with the limited access teams have.  Honestly, the more picks in rounds 3-5 the better.

With the draft being online, I think we are going to be significantly fewer trades in general. And I think when teams regroup after days 1 & 2, they are going to overpay to trade up. The trade value charts might be useless at those spots this year. It seems this offseason might be the perfect storm for the Bengals.

Regarding LB and OL, some NFL network guys were tweeting yesterday that Isaiah Wilson & Willie Gay are shooting up draft boards - Wilson could be late 1st round & Gay in the high-mid 2nd. I've seen both of those players mocked to Cincy. I wonder if either of those guys would be options in round 2 now. 

Spot on about the Senior Bowl, couldn't have had a better year to be the worst team in the league honestly.

All for trading back from 33 if one of the can't miss first rounders isn't there. Might still get our guy anyways and add a pick.

Gay punched his QB in the face, big no to this guy, he isn't even on my board anymore. Cheater to boot.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 03:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spot on about the Senior Bowl, couldn't have had a better year to be the worst team in the league honestly.

All for trading back from 33 if one of the can't miss first rounders isn't there. Might still get our guy anyways and add a pick.

Gay punched his QB in the face, big no to this guy, he isn't even on my board anymore. Cheater to boot.

I guess it depends on your definition of can't miss. Even if they trade down to 40, they'll still say they had a 1st round grade on the player.

Yeah, I heard those stories about Gay on a podcast after my post. Definitely drops him down my board, maybe not completely off though. Need to hear more context around the fight.
Reply/Quote
I hope Willie Gay Jr. is there in the 3rd
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 08:02 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I guess it depends on your definition of can't miss. Even if they trade down to 40, they'll still say they had a 1st round grade on the player.

Yeah, I heard those stories about Gay on a podcast after my post. Definitely drops him down my board, maybe not completely off though. Need to hear more context around the fight.

Agree with all of that, the Draft is a crapshoot, always has been.

Just want team players, Gay is the epitome of not that.
Reply/Quote
I would go Isaiah Wilson over Josh Jones. Right??? Pretty easy choice for me if the 3 LB’s are gone...
Reply/Quote