Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyle Rudolph
Should there be an interest in Kyle Rudolph? He's from Cincinnati and may have an interest in coming home. I haven't really followed him, so I don't know much about injury history and such.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
He seems like he's done.

There's at least 8-10 potential upgrades to Uzomah in FA this year and some more guys who are probably about a wash in production but cheaper than Uzomah's $6.1m/yr. Rudolph isn't one of them.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He seems like he's done.

There's at least 8-10 potential upgrades to Uzomah in FA this year and some more guys who are probably about a wash in production but cheaper than Uzomah's $6.1m/yr. Rudolph isn't one of them.

I love Uzo for his leadership and his character though, would be sad to see him go somewhere else. Love the guy.

But this is all true. Who would be your TE in Free Agency TLL?

I still want Gronk if he won't command too much and wants to play with Burrow like he says.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:10 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: Should there be an interest in Kyle Rudolph? He's from Cincinnati and may have an interest in coming home. I haven't really followed him, so I don't know much  about injury history and such.

NO
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I love Uzo for his leadership and his character though, would be sad to see him go somewhere else. Love the guy.

But this is all true. Who would be your TE in Free Agency TLL?

I still want Gronk if he won't command too much and wants to play with Burrow like he says.

If Gronk wants to come here, bring him here. He might fix some of the RedZone troubles this offense has.

Otherwise Dalton Schultz for a long term fix, Zach Ertz for a short term fix, or Evan Engram for a buy low fix.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 04:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If Gronk wants to come here, bring him here. He might fix some of the RedZone troubles this offense has.

Otherwise Dalton Schultz for a long term fix, Zach Ertz for a short term fix, or Evan Engram for a buy low fix.

Im intrigued by Schultz....
I was impressed watching some Cowboys games this yr 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 04:27 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Im intrigued by Schultz....
I was impressed watching some Cowboys games this yr 

I'd take Schultz in a heart beat but I'm sure he'd cost more than bringing back Uzomah. 

No thanks to Kyle... I wanted him last time he hit free-agency but he didn't want to come home.  Now he's washed.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 04:36 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I'd take Schultz in a heart beat but I'm sure he'd cost more than bringing back Uzomah

No thanks to Kyle... I wanted him last time he hit free-agency but he didn't want to come home.  Now he's washed.

As he should, though. Both players had career years, but not all career years are equal.

Uzomah age 28 season: 49/493/5
Schultz age 25 season: 78/808/8

I think Spotrac has Schultz at 4yr/$50.7m (~$12.7m/yr) which yeah, is probably more than they should spend on TE with 3 great WRs and a $12m/yr RB... but they also have Uzomah at 3yr/$24.7m (~$8.2m/yr) and it seems like a waste to pay Uzomah $8.2m/yr when there are massive upgrades available for not massively more. Heck, Ertz is actually projected to be cheaper than Uzomah and I would gladly take Ertz over Uzomah, let alone while saving about $600k/yr.

With their WRs as they are now, they are probably best off just seeing if Gronk wants to play for the 1yr/$8m he played for last year or signing Ertz for his projected 2yr/$15.2m.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 04:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If Gronk wants to come here, bring him here. He might fix some of the RedZone troubles this offense has.

Nice, really liked what I saw of Schultz when I watched the Cowboys last year. Might be a bit spendy though as we need
to fix the OL first and foremost. I would take Engram as he is younger than Ertz and might be the better deal for us over
bringing Uzo back. But Gronk is still my favorite option if we can get him for somewhat cheap, great blocker and like you 
said could help fix our Red Zone troubles.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 05:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice, really liked what I saw of Schultz when I watched the Cowboys last year. Might be a bit spendy though as we need
to fix the OL first and foremost. I would take Engram as he is younger than Ertz and might be the better deal for us over
bringing Uzo back. But Gronk is still my favorite option if we can get him for somewhat cheap, great blocker and like you 
said could help fix our Red Zone troubles.

Getting Gronk to me means more than just getting a great player.... it brings credibility to the organization as serious players in the Burrow Era.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I get it that everyone wants the next great player/TE to come here but it's just not that easy. First off, it's got to be the right system and a good fit for all parties and I just don't think any stud TE is going to want to come here with the WR corp the Bengals have and the catches they garner, not mention Mixon now an important receiver.

Bengals simply don't use the TE that way, at least enough to lure a guy like Schultz and the money he'll want. And the new incorporated offense they now have is here to stay.Could be wrong here but players can be selfish in many ways.
Reply/Quote
At first I was resistant to re-signing Uzomah to $7-8M/year. But, even at that rate there are about 10 TEs with a higher yearly average and only about half have better production. He knows the system. Seems to have good chemistry with Burrow. And it will take a high draft pick to replace his production right away. A draft pick I’d like to see used on something other than a TE. Now I’m more comfortable re-signing him at the price it will take.

Bates on the other hand, I want to re-sign. But, after looking at other S contracts, I don’t want to pay CB money to a FS who has up and down years. If every year was 2020, probably. But, every year isn’t like 2020. I’d rather sign an adequate FS vet as a one year place holder, draft his replacement (like Draxton Hill), and apply the cap savings elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 05:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: As he should, though. Both players had career years, but not all career years are equal.

Uzomah age 28 season: 49/493/5
Schultz age 25 season: 78/808/8

The only reason Schultz put up better numbers was because he got over 100 targets while Uzomah only had 63.

When you look at efficiency Uzimah was better.  C.J. had both a better "catch percentage" and a better "yards per target".

Shultz is not going to take any targets away from Boyd, Chase, or Higgins.  So he is not going to produce any more than Uzo.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 05:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Heck, Ertz is actually projected to be cheaper than Uzomah and I would gladly take Ertz over Uzomah, let alone while saving about $600k/yr.

I don't know why you would take a 32 year old TE who only caught 66% of his targets and only produced 6.8 yards per target when you could have a guy a few years younger who caught 78% of his targets and produced 7.8 yards per target.

Again, the only reason Ertz put up bigger numbers is because he was targeted almost twice as much as CJ (114 to 63).  And, again, Ertz is not going to take any targets away from Chase, Higgins, or Boyd.
Reply/Quote

I really liked Engram coming out of college but he has the Eifert-itis. Just can't seem to stay healthy and on the field.

However, when it comes to by low options I'd kick the tires on two former first round guys who just haven't hit their potential yet in Hayden Hurst or O.J. Howard, especially Howard since he played in all 17 games this season after coming back from an injury. Kind of feel like he'll be in line for that one year removed from a big injury bounce back, where he gets it together.

Other options out there that may be a little more long-term would be Mike Gesicki (73 for 780 and 2 TDs) and Tyler Conklin (61 for 593 and 3 TDs). Have to think those TD numbers improve with a better QB throwing them the ball.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only reason Schultz put up better numbers was because he got over 100 targets while Uzomah only had 63.

When you look at efficiency Uzimah was better.  C.J. had both a better "catch percentage" and a better "yards per target".

Shultz is not going to take any targets away from Boyd, Chase, or Higgins.  So he is not going to produce any more than Uzo.

(03-02-2022, 05:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know why you would take a 32 year old TE who only caught 66% of his targets and only produced 6.8 yards per target when you could have a guy a few years younger who caught 78% of his targets and produced 7.8 yards per target.

Again, the only reason Ertz put up bigger numbers is because he was targeted almost twice as much as CJ (114 to 63).  And, again, Ertz is not going to take any targets away from Chase, Higgins, or Boyd.

I know Fred gotta Fred, but the reason why Uzomah's catch % is so "good"? The dude was living near the line of scrimmage. 

Average Depth of Target
Uzomah: 4.3 yards
Schultz: 7.1 yards
Ertz: 8.0 yards

Newsflash, guy who is nearly half the distance away when being thrown to gets more easy passes to him. That's a real shocker that dink and dunk passes are more accurate. Mind blown.

You also in proper Fred form bring up Ertz's catch % as 66% on the season, casually including the 58% for the first 6 games with one of the least accurate starting QBs in the league while Uzomah got to play with Burrow all season who led the league in %. But sure, the difference between two players has nothing to do with who is throwing them the ball, it's clearly only the difference in the TEs obviously.   Mellow

No offseason for Fred, you're already in mid-season form.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I know Fred gotta Fred, but the reason why Uzomah's catch % is so "good"? The dude was living near the line of scrimmage. 

Average Depth of Target

Newsflash, guy who is nearly half the distance away when being thrown to gets more easy passes to him. That's a real shocker that dink and dunk passes are more accurate. Mind blown.

You also in proper Fred form bring up Ertz's catch % as 66% on the season, casually including the 58% for the first 6 games with one of the least accurate starting QBs in the league while Uzomah got to play with Burrow all season who led the league in %. But sure, the difference between two players has nothing to do with who is throwing them the ball, it's clearly only the difference in the TEs obviously.   Mellow

No offseason for Fred, you're already in mid-season form.

And Schultz had 3 more TD's than Uzo...

Like I said love the guy, but if we really want to upgrade the team we have to look at the best deals for us that make the team better.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I know Fred gotta Fred, but the reason why Uzomah's catch % is so "good"? The dude was living near the line of scrimmage. 

Average Depth of Target

Mind blown?

I am the one whose mind is blown by the fact that NFL QBs lose their accuracy in the 3.7 yard distance between 4.3 yds and 8.0 yards past the line of scrimmage.

And I guess you did not realize that this distance is from the line of scrimmage instead of from where the QB releases the ball.  a receiver 4.3 yards past the line of scrimmage is not "Nearly half the distance away" as a receiver 8 yards past the LOS. 
Reply/Quote