Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about our Nickel Package?
So I am listening to the Bengals Podcast (with Paul Dehner JR and our friend Jim Owczarski) and there talking about the impact of moving Leon to safety.  With Leon moving to safety that means Nelson has moved to the bench. So my question is  what do we do with Reggie Nelson and in particular can he move to linebacker in nickel situations?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
So, that's actually a thing? I heard he wasn't doing well at corner, but I didn't expect anything serious to occur. Problem for him is that it would make more sense to extend Nelson.

If we're setting a standard of Lamur as a nickel backer, Nelson can handle the role.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:09 AM)J24 Wrote: So I am listening to the Bengals Podcast (with Paul Dehner JR and our friend Jim Owczarski) and there talking about the impact of moving Leon to safety.  With Leon moving to safety that means Nelson has moved to the bench. So my question is  what do we do with Reggie Nelson and in particular can he move to linebacker in nickel situations?

There is no way that Leon Hall is replacing Reggie Nelson as a starting safety. Neither with Iloka.

He is either a backup safety or they are calling a different position 'safety'.

If Reggie Nelson is being taken off the field for any of this to take place then our coaching staff is terrible.
Reply/Quote
If Hall doesn't get it together as a corner, I honestly can't see him starting over either of the safeties we have currently. Really starting to sound like Hall might become the surprise cut of camp.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:24 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: There is no way that Leon Hall is replacing Reggie Nelson as a starting safety. Neither with Iloka.

He is either a backup safety or they are calling a different position 'safety'.

If Reggie Nelson is being taken off the field for any of this to take place then our coaching staff is terrible.

It makes sense in a way they want more cover guys out there but it only works if Leon is right(and I have serious questions about that).
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:34 AM)J24 Wrote: It makes sense in a way they want more cover guys out there but it only works if Leon is right(and I have serious questions about that).

What makes Nelson not a cover guy? Reggie Nelson is a ball hawk lol.

I can understand having Iloka Nelson AND Hall all out there... but Hall wouldn't be a 'safety'... I think a package like that could have uses though... but I guess that's what he was already doing as a corner...

IDK man the whole thing befuddles me.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:25 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If Hall doesn't get it together as a corner, I honestly can't see him starting over either of the safeties we have currently. Really starting to sound like Hall might become the surprise cut of camp.

They won't cut him, but he could end up being a backup. He is still better than the guys behind Pac, Dre K and Darqueze for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:50 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They won't cut him, but he could end up being a backup. He is still better than the guys behind Pac, Dre K and Darqueze for sure.

It's a lot of money for a guy to be 4th on the depth chart. I hope it gets it together, and is able to play at a high level, but it sounds a little rough right now.

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 02:04 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It's a lot of money for a guy to be 4th on the depth chart. I hope it gets it together, and is able to play at a high level, but it sounds a little rough right now.

Quick question How confident are you right now are you with Josh Shaw, Brandon Ghee, and Chris Lewis Harris?
J24

Reply/Quote
The Bengals are not trying to switch Leon's position. What they are doing is giving opposing teams a different look when they are in a 3 WR set. It allows them to run a base defense and have three CBs on the field to matchup against the opposing teams WRs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 02:37 AM)J24 Wrote: Quick question How confident are you right now are you with Josh Shaw, Brandon Ghee, and Chris Lewis Harris?

Lewis Harris has been in the system for three years and held his own when pressed into service before, so I'm confident he can be a decent 4th corner. As for Shaw, I think he has all the tools and talent to be an exceptional corner, just needs the time to learn and refine his skill set, best place for that is as the last corner on the 53.

I'm not anti Hall, I really hope he gets back to form, and can produce at a high level, I'm just looking at a guy that is starting to lose a step and making #1 corner money when he at this time is not a #1 corner. If they restructure his deal and pay him like a safety and make the move like Oakland did with Charles Woodson I'm all for it. Could extend Leon's career several years if they do that. 

Reply/Quote
As it's been pointed out, Hall isn't being "moved" just letting him try some different places. The idea is that he is better in coverage than our safeties, especially man to man coverage. What it allows you to do is man up Hall on a TE in a base formation. I don't think he does it often, but it does allow us to give different looks.

As far as over paying a back up......who cares? If we needed the money for some reason it would make sense, but we don't. If we cut him right now he would be the best available corner and someone would sign him. We may need him as Pac Man and Kirkpatrick have been known to get banged up.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:09 AM)J24 Wrote: So I am listening to the Bengals Podcast (with Paul Dehner JR and our friend Jim Owczarski) and there talking about the impact of moving Leon to safety.  With Leon moving to safety that means Nelson has moved to the bench. So my question is  what do we do with Reggie Nelson and in particular can he move to linebacker in nickel situations?

Reggie Nelson WILL not be moving to the bench...That is just the dumbest thing I have heard....Did they say that or did you just make it up in your head when you were listening?  If Hall has to be our 4th CB or some kind of hybrid then it is time to cut the line or for him to take a big pay cut...I know one place that 9 million dollars would go to right away...
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 09:03 AM)Au165 Wrote: As it's been pointed out, Hall isn't being "moved" just letting him try some different places. The idea is that he is better in coverage than our safeties, especially man to man coverage. What it allows you to do is man up Hall on a TE in a base formation. I don't think he does it often, but it does allow us to give different looks.

As far as over paying a back up......who cares? If we needed the money for some reason it would make sense, but we don't. If we cut him right now he would be the best available corner and someone would sign him. We may need him as Pac Man and Kirkpatrick have been known to get banged up.

At this point in his career, I just don't even think he is better in coverage than our safeties. 3-5 years ago of course. IMO he is over the hill, so maybe this is a last desperation effort by the coaching staff to make keeping him viable. I agree with you though, keeping him for depth should be the course of action for this year, and we can cut bait after this season.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 09:29 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Reggie Nelson WILL not be moving to the bench...That is just the dumbest thing I have heard....Did they say that or did you just make it up in your head when you were listening?  If Hall has to be our 4th CB or some kind of hybrid then it is time to cut the line or for him to take a big pay cut...I know one place that 9 million dollars would go to right away...
Thats what Paul and Jim said Hall is playing nickel Safety right now and Nelson has been on the bench in those situations.
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:25 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If Hall doesn't get it together as a corner, I honestly can't see him starting over either of the safeties we have currently. Really starting to sound like Hall might become the surprise cut of camp.

I think you may be right.  I think they're doing everything they can to keep him.  But gleaning from what I've read he's making great plays...   when he gets there - which appears to be a problem for him.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 09:03 AM)Au165 Wrote: As far as over paying a back up......who cares? If we needed the money for some reason it would make sense, but we don't. If we cut him right now he would be the best available corner and someone would sign him. We may need him as Pac Man and Kirkpatrick have been known to get banged up.

This.
Reply/Quote