Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
ranking Bengals Qb's
(08-25-2022, 11:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Klingler had a cannon. 

So did JaMarcus Russell.  Apparently, his pre-draft workouts were jaw dropping.

Shows how absolutely useless a big arm can be without a head to use it.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 12:07 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely like Palmer the player over Dalton the player.

That goes without saying and I think anyone that had Dalton over Palmer feels the same.

Still, who had the more success overall is Dalton just because of injuries to Palmer and when Dalton had good teams he took
us to the Playoffs even if he could never win the Primetime games, neither could pick six Palmer.

Dalton is a great man, I still respect him so much and is just a great person. We can rank a QB where we want to rank them.

I understand why other's would pick Carson above Andy though for sure as he was SO MUCH MORE talented.
APPLAUSE!
Reply/Quote
I liked Andy a lot and he won more than Carson did with the Bengals.

But Palmer was the better QB.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 11:11 AM)PhilHos Wrote: 32 is considered PAST one's prime (in football anyways). Hence, why he was only offered backup jobs.

No it is not.

The Prime QB Years are 26-34.  It varies widely based on the QB, obviously.

The last 2 Super Bowl winning QBs were both 34+

Same with the last 2 NFL MVPs
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2022, 08:14 PM)ATOTR Wrote: No it is not.

The Prime QB Years are 26-34.  It varies widely based on the QB, obviously.

The last 2 Super Bowl winning QBs were both 34+

Same with the last 2 NFL MVPs

Yeah. QBs play at an elite level into their late 30s now.
Reply/Quote
The number 1, even though injury derailed him would be Greg Cook. He simply was the best.
While Burrow hasn't accomplished what Anderson did yet, he will, and will be better than Kenny. (who is my all time favorite Bengal)
Burrow is already better than Boomer on everything except hiding the ball
Reply/Quote
Are we still confident in these rankings?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think Palmer may have reentered the chat...

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Based on achievement relative to era rather than on raw ability, and only on their time playing with the Bengals:

1. Anderson
2. Esiason
3. Burrow
4. Dalton
5. Palmer
6. Cook
7. Blake
8. Kitna
9. Carter
10. O'Donnell

Greg Cook is always hard to place in these kinds of things for obvious reasons.

Based instead on raw ability, regardless of era (accounting for all ability, not just arm talent), pretending injuries never happened and that personality doesn't exist or matter:

1. Burrow
2. Cook
3. Palmer
4. Anderson
5. Esiason

Placing Burrow at the top of that list may be controversial, understandably. I think he might turn out to be one of the most accurate passers in league history though.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 12:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Are we still confident in these rankings?

(11-04-2022, 12:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think Palmer may have reentered the chat...

Why wouldn’t we be? And why has Palmer “re-entered the chat?”

Burrow is currently:

1st in yards
3rd in TD’s
4th in completion %
6th in passer rating

He’s on pace for:

4949 yards
36 TD’s
69.2 completion %
101.9 passer rating

Those numbers would likely be right around a top 5 QB.

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 06:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why wouldn’t we be? And why has Palmer “re-entered the chat?”

Burrow is currently:

1st in yards
3rd in TD’s
4th in completion %
6th in passer rating

He’s on pace for:

4949 yards
36 TD’s
69.2 completion %
101.9 passer rating

Those numbers would likely be right around a top 5 QB.

Right. Palmer had two fantastic seasons in Cincinnati - 2005 & 2006. Burrow is playing very similar right now, when you adjust for era, but has had more playoff success. That isn't really fair to Palmer due to what happened, but it is what it is. Palmer really started dropping off in efficiency after those two seasons and was largely a league average QB for the rest of his career. Burrow is still early in his career but until he starts dropping, I think it is fair to say he is better than Palmer. 
Reply/Quote
The Quitter should not be elevated. If he was not so statuesque and could move in the pocket or even had a better attitude then he could have been something special.

Unfortunately he was a one trick pony with his arm being his only asset and some may say his nee injury in playoffs hurt him badly.

Yet really his was not mobile to begin with and once healed he was the about the same. In my opinion it was his shoulder injury that hurt his career with the Bengals when all of a sudden he was not throwing deep at all afterwards. Anyway had he been more mobile these injuries may have been avoided. Was not real tough either.

Will add that I would like to see what Burrow could have done behind some of O-lines Carson got to play behind.

Burrow is miles better imo and Kenny will always be tops in my book as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
A season where the team is hovering around .500 doesn't lower Burrow on the Bengals all time QB rankings. Other Bengals QBs played on subpar or average teams. Thus, it doesn't make sense to raise this point about Burrow now just because the current season is disappointing so far.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 02:45 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Based on achievement relative to era rather than on raw ability, and only on their time playing with the Bengals:

1. Anderson
2. Esiason
3. Burrow
4. Dalton
5. Palmer
6. Cook
7. Blake
8. Kitna
9. Carter
10. O'Donnell

Greg Cook is always hard to place in these kinds of things for obvious reasons.

Based instead on raw ability, regardless of era (accounting for all ability, not just arm talent), pretending injuries never happened and that personality doesn't exist or matter:

1. Burrow
2. Cook
3. Palmer
4. Anderson
5. Esiason

Placing Burrow at the top of that list may be controversial, understandably. I think he might turn out to be one of the most accurate passers in league history though.

Going by the bold, I would have Cook at the top... 
Reply/Quote