Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
repeated muscle stimulation
Hey Brad...thought you might be interested in this. You may have already seen this. http://sciencenewsjournal.com/paralyzed-muscle-movement-can-restored-repeated-stimulation/
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 03:42 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Hey Brad...thought you might be interested in this.  You may have already seen this.  http://sciencenewsjournal.com/paralyzed-muscle-movement-can-restored-repeated-stimulation/

Except I'm not paralyzed   Sad

I have feeling everywhere, it's just my mind doesn't know how to tell my body to do things because I'm missing so much of it.  Like the part that tells my body to move my legs is there, but the parts that control balance and everything are gone.

I didn't actually get to view it because I'm on my way out the door, but, just from the title of it being restoring paralyzed muscles, I doubt it will do much good.

I'll check it out when I get back from working out, though.

Regardless, I appreciate the thought!

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 04:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Except I'm not paralyzed   Sad

I have feeling everywhere, it's just my mind doesn't know how to tell my body to do things because I'm missing so much of it.  Like the part that tells my body to move my legs is there, but the parts that control balance and everything are gone.

I didn't actually get to view it because I'm on my way out the door, but, just from the title of it being restoring paralyzed muscles, I doubt it will do much good.

ThumbsUp
Couldn't quite remember if it was a brain injury for you or if you also had a damaged spine. 
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote

ThumbsUp

It could be used though to keep your muscles up or whatever the term is.

EDIT: I hit "Post Reply" and realize that's why you go to work out. I have a brain injury too, so don't mind me, lol.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 03:42 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Hey Brad...thought you might be interested in this.  You may have already seen this.  http://sciencenewsjournal.com/paralyzed-muscle-movement-can-restored-repeated-stimulation/

They are trying this with my dad now.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

ThumbsUp

I just read an article about a guy who is missing 90% of his brain, but functions like a relatively normal person (wife, 2 kids, works a general labor job, IQ about 75). Apparently it is changing scientist's view on the brain and how it adapts to find ways to function. It doesn't necessarily "fix" anything but could lead to further study on regaining operations of areas that are thought to be lost.
Reply/Quote
Brad needs to try Ambien.

http://www.vice.com/video/the-ambien-effect

Zolpidem tartrate, or Ambien, has been prescribed to millions of insomniacs internationally, yet those who use the drug to ensure a good night's sleep are seldom aware it also possesses the ability to normalize functioning in certain types of damaged neurons, a phenomenon called "the Ambien effect." The first awakening occurred in 1999 when a man who had spent three years in a persistent vegetative state spontaneously regained consciousness after ingesting a 10mg tablet. Since then, hundreds of patients have experienced miraculous recoveries from traumatic brain injury using Ambien. Hamilton Morris travels from South Africa, where the Ambien effect was first discovered, to England to interview a physician on the cutting edge of Ambien research, and then to Florida to meet a voice-over artist who depends on Ambien to speak.

Here is a more scientific link

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/815113

The observation that zolpidem can have a paradoxical arousal effect on patients with a severe brain injury dates back about 6 years and has been reported by many different groups.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 10:27 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Couldn't quite remember if it was a brain injury for you or if you also had a damaged spine. 
Just whiplash, but nothing lasting  ThumbsUp
(07-18-2016, 10:40 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: It could be used though to keep your muscles up or whatever the term is.

EDIT: I hit "Post Reply" and realize that's why you go to work out. I have a brain injury too, so don't mind me, lol.
Reading is your friend lol!

No harm done!

ThumbsUp
(07-18-2016, 02:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: They are trying this with my dad now.
Good luck to him!

ThumbsUp
(07-18-2016, 04:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: I just read an article about a guy who is missing 90% of his brain, but functions like a relatively normal person (wife, 2 kids, works a general labor job, IQ about 75). Apparently it is changing scientist's view on the brain and how it adapts to find ways to function. It doesn't necessarily "fix" anything but could lead to further study on regaining operations of areas that are thought to be lost.
Brain is an amazing thing!  

I'm not missing 90%, but I've mentioned before that doctors have looked at my brain scan and, I'm missing so much of my brain, I should be in a vegetative state.
(07-18-2016, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brad needs to try Ambien.

http://www.vice.com/video/the-ambien-effect

Zolpidem tartrate, or Ambien, has been prescribed to millions of insomniacs internationally, yet those who use the drug to ensure a good night's sleep are seldom aware it also possesses the ability to normalize functioning in certain types of damaged neurons, a phenomenon called "the Ambien effect." The first awakening occurred in 1999 when a man who had spent three years in a persistent vegetative state spontaneously regained consciousness after ingesting a 10mg tablet. Since then, hundreds of patients have experienced miraculous recoveries from traumatic brain injury using Ambien. Hamilton Morris travels from South Africa, where the Ambien effect was first discovered, to England to interview a physician on the cutting edge of Ambien research, and then to Florida to meet a voice-over artist who depends on Ambien to speak.

Here is a more scientific link

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/815113

The observation that zolpidem can have a paradoxical arousal effect on patients with a severe brain injury dates back about 6 years and has been reported by many different groups.

I believe we've already discussed that on here (may have been on Facebook or both), and the side effects have been known to make people very violent and not remembering anything about what they did, just doing bad things and not remembering it, and just not remembering entire days.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 06:38 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I believe we've already discussed that on here (may have been on Facebook or both), and the side effects have been known to make people very violent and not remembering anything about what they did, just doing bad things and not remembering it, and just not remembering entire days.

Only for people who use it as a sleep aid. People who use it to treat their brain damage do not go to sleep when they take it.

If I was in your situation I would at least try it once to see if anything happened.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 04:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: I just read an article about a guy who is missing 90% of his brain, but functions like a relatively normal person (wife, 2 kids, works a general labor job, IQ about 75).

So how come steeler fans with 100% of their brains usually live with their mom, don't have wives or children, can't hold a job and their average IQ is below 70?
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 01:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: So how come steeler fans with 100% of their brains usually live with their mom, don't have wives or children, can't hold a job and their average IQ is below 70?

for the same reason that you play with dolls?
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 08:56 AM)Cocoapuffs Wrote: for the same reason that you play with dolls?

I hear you are quite the expert at repeated muscle stimulation:

[Image: VAkDU5H.gif]
Reply/Quote
Glad to see folks getting along for a while in this thread, very refreshing !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 03:11 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Glad to see folks getting along for a while in this thread, very refreshing !

Im glad this thread isn't in Smack Talk, things could go south very quickly!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2016, 06:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only for people who use it as a sleep aid.  People who use it to treat their brain damage do not go to sleep when they take it.

If I was in your situation I would at least try it once to see if anything happened.

I'll talk it over with my brain doctor and see what my doctor cousin thinks.

I'd just hate for it to have some negative side effects that make me dangerous or mean or, worse yet, destroy any improvements I've worked so hard to get to.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 06:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'll talk it over with my brain doctor and see what my doctor cousin thinks.

I'd just hate for it to have some negative side effects that make me dangerous or mean or, worse yet, destroy any improvements I've worked so hard to get to.

yeah weigh the risks before you try anything different ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote