Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rolling down a hill then falling off a cliff
The 2016 6-10 season was bad. But we still finished with the 13th ranked offense and 17th ranked defense.

In 2017 our offense went off a cliff (32nd in yards), but we still just lost 9 games and finished the season with back-to-back wins against winning teams fighting for playoff spots.

In 2018 we started 4-1 with big wins over 2 playoff teams. At that point we were 17-19-1 since the end of the 2105 season, and hope was still alive.

Since then we are 1-10.

Even the biggest homer knew we were declining in '16 and '17, but there were legitimate reasons (not just orange colored glasses) to have hope for a quick turn around. The fans who wallow in doom and gloom will claim they predicted it all along, but they also predicted many losing seasons when we made the playoffs.

Now reality is setting in for everyone. We went from rolling down hill to falling off a cliff.

This year's team has played two good teams tight to the finish. They may even beat a few good teams, but I don't see them getting close to the playoffs. The defense has experienced vets looking lost and the offensive line is almost all back ups. I don't see it getting much better this year.
Reply/Quote
Between the O line and the linebackers, this team doesn't really have a chance. I'm not sure which of our LBs is considered our best, but I'll bet he would start on very few teams. And that's the best one.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's just sad that the same weaknesses from last year are still weaknesses.

The coaching staff supposedly evaluated the roster during the offseason. Either management didn't care or the evaluation was bad and assumed coaching would fix these guys.
Reply/Quote
Get a real GM in here and watch the turn around happen.
Having Duke Tobin as your GM just isn't producing
Enough wins.
Look at the teams who are 3 0 now
Niners..Bills...Chiefs.....
They all 1st time GMs. And it's paying off
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's just sad that the same weaknesses from last year are still weaknesses.

The coaching staff supposedly evaluated the roster during the offseason. Either management didn't care or the evaluation was bad and assumed coaching would fix these guys.

If we had not lost Boling, Williams, and Glenn I think we could have scraped together a decent O-line.

Defense looks more like a coaching problem.  A big part of coaching is teaching and many of our defenders look lost and/or confused.

But we still need an infusion of tlent a few positions to get back to playoff caliber.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:19 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Get a real GM in here and watch the turn around happen.
Enough wins.

So every team with a GM makes the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:19 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Get a real GM in here and watch the turn around happen.
Enough wins.

A real GM will want to double the scouting staff and that is not going to happen. 

LB and OL have been glaring weaknesses for 3 straight seasons (OK, LB even longer), the old Tree Sloth does not care.

End of year management meeting:

Mikey: How many wins did we have?
Tobin: 3, but we had some injuries and bad luck again
Mikey: How much Money did we make:
Katie: $30 million
Mikey: good job everyone, carry on
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So every team with a GM makes the playoffs?

You must be a supporter of Tobin 
That's ok.
To each his own .
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So every team with a GM makes the playoffs?

1st time GMs, yes. According to him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we had not lost Boling, Williams, and Glenn I think we could have scraped together a decent O-line.

Defense looks more like a coaching problem.  A big part of coaching is teaching and many of our defenders look lost and/or confused.

But we still need an infusion of tlent a few positions to get back to playoff caliber.

I will say that Miller has looked a little better than expected here and Hopkins has been a quality Center.

I do think IF Boling was healthy that Glenn was getting waived.

But, a Hart/Miller/Hopkins/Boling/Williams line would have definitely been better than what we're seeing now. Hart would have needed replaced in the future.

Agree on the defense and I just wonder if Del Rio would have them playing better.
Reply/Quote

Well, we do know that a team that is Mike Brown owned is 0 for 28 in winning a postseason game. So IF we did have a GM, chances are that over some timespan...5 years/10 years...that we'd likely have some playoff success.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 02:25 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: LB and OL have been glaring weaknesses for 3 straight seasons (OK, LB even longer), the old Tree Sloth does not care.

Because all he has done is use two first round picks on O-linemen, trade for the 8th highest paid OT in the league, and sign another free agent who was a starter for another team last year.

Why do people think they need to make up stuff to whine about?  Doesn't reality provide enough.
Reply/Quote