Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
stephen a smith
(11-01-2018, 01:50 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Well I mean for a Bengals coach. He turned this team into a winner with Mike Brown as an owner. I think that might count as legendary.

Considering HUE couldn't do it in Cleveland, you might have a point.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 06:46 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Bro...16 years and not his fault? Come on man!

Coaching in the NFL with Mike Brown as the owner is like driving a Prius in the Indianapolis 500.

Marvin has done a very good job considering the handicap he is working under.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 06:49 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Who hires him BRO?  Who keeps bringing him back???  Who is the ONLY man who has complete control over all the personnel?

So you give Marv credit for turning it around but not MB for sticking with him for almost two decades?  Mellow
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Coaching in the NFL with Mike Brown as the owner is like driving a Prius in the Indianapolis 500.

He's still at fault for enabling that sort of behavior. If he is such a lousy owner, why do you keep going back? If Marv is such a great coach, why wouldn't he just go to one of the other 31 teams who - by this line of thinking - HAS to be a better owner than MB?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Coaching in the NFL with Mike Brown as the owner is like driving a Prius in the Indianapolis 500.

Fred you're the very person that gets on here and defends every Bengals player to the bitter end. "They're better than they get credit for" PlayerX has this stat and that stat". "There's no need to replace this guy or that". In other words we have talent.

Then when someone bashes ML you get on here and argue he has no talent. 

So which is it ?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 12:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fred you're the very person that gets on here and defends every Bengals player to the bitter end. "They're better than they get credit for" PlayerX has this stat and that stat". "There's no need to replace this guy or that". In other words we have talent.

Then when someone bashes ML you get on here and argue he has no talent. 

So which is it ?

When Geno, Carlos, AJ resigned (along with many others good players), I didn't see many people flaming MB. You can't have your cake and eat it too. MB is not a very good owner, but ML is not a coach who does things in spite of MB. Both of them do things together, so both deserve the same criticism & credit. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 12:19 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Considering HUE couldn't do it in Cleveland, you might have a point.

Oh guys like LeBeau were quality NFL coaches with great credentials and he couldn't win here. What Marvin did coming in in 2004 and changing the culture and building a perennially above .500 team was an achievement.

That said, there were years where we arguably had a Top 5 roster in the NFL and didn't win a playoff game.

He seems to do his best when expectations are low and he can overachieve.

Ultimately, I think the NFL is an offensive league and we need to hire a HC who is a young, innovater.
Reply/Quote

I completely agree. But to say someone who has been a head coach for 16 years with the same organization is without blame is asinine. 
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna save the link and click on it ONLY IF we go under .500 by 2 games. Then I'll unleash my rant on Marvin to everyone's content here on Jungle Noise Popcorn . In the meantime, I'll pretend we have the Ram's record.   Happy  
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 01:13 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: When Geno, Carlos, AJ resigned (along with many others good players), I didn't see many people flaming MB. You can't have your cake and eat it too. MB is not a very good owner, but ML is not a coach who does things in spite of MB. Both of them do things together, so both deserve the same criticism & credit. 

Yup,

MB takes the very long scenic route to team development there's no doubt. But ML has had plenty enough talent here to do way better than 0-7, 8 wins against Steelers including only twice beating them at home ! Like what 70% losses in PT. There's no excuse for it !

(11-01-2018, 02:00 PM)Sweetness Wrote: I completely agree. But to say someone who has been a head coach for 16 years with the same organization is without blame is asinine. 

And then some !
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 11:38 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Marvin Lewis deserves credit and to be praised as a legend in this town. That being said, I think he has taken us as far as he can go. 

Case in point... Look how the Rams have responded since Fisher got fired. True, they didnt win a playoff game but Im pretty sure that is going to change this year.

Marvin Lewis deserves a lot of credit for helping turn this franchise around along with Palmer and Chad. But he peaked way back in 07. He's not capable of getting a team to the next level, it's beyond a doubt !

I don't hate Marvin, never have. But it's so very far past time to move on.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 02:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Marvin Lewis deserves a lot of credit for helping turn this franchise around along with Palmer and Chad. But he peaked way back in 07. He's not capable of getting a team to the next level, it's beyond a doubt !

I don't hate Marvin, never have. But it's so very far past time to move on.

Yep... Its painfully obvious when we play a team with same talent and better coaching. Marvin is a nice guy and he knows the game. You can tell he loves his players to a fault. He is a lot like Mike Brown in that way.  

What this team needs is a ruthless, cutthroat bastard who would sacrifice his mother for a playoff win. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: RS176768_20130606_FirstTake_RV3-310x310.jpg] = [Image: morton_downey_jr_907.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 07:20 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: [Image: RS176768_20130606_FirstTake_RV3-310x310.jpg] = [Image: morton_downey_jr_907.jpg]

Morton Downey, Jr.! Rock On

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 06:58 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yep... Its painfully obvious when we play a team with same talent and better coaching. Marvin is a nice guy and he knows the game. You can tell he loves his players to a fault. He is a lot like Mike Brown in that way.  

What this team needs is a ruthless, cutthroat bastard who would sacrifice his mother for a playoff win. 

That would have worked back in another time, not today. Today's players want to be coddled. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 11:16 AM)sandwedge Wrote: That would have worked back in another time, not today. Today's players want to be coddled. 

Bill Belichick is the best coach in modern history, and he’s not coddling anyone. He’s not even afraid to piss off his HOF QB.

Reply/Quote
I never really understand the debate on who is more at fault for the Bengals shortcomings Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis. To what end is the debate? As long as Mike Brown owns the team and Marvin is the head coach the Bengals are what they are. Seems like a fruitless debate.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 01:54 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: I never really understand the debate on who is more at fault for the Bengals shortcomings Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis. To what end is the debate? As long as Mike Brown owns the team and Marvin is the head coach the Bengals are what they are. Seems like a fruitless debate.

True, these two under achievers work hand in hand to build that hamster wheel of mediocrity. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 02:01 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: True, these two under achievers work hand in hand to build that hamster wheel of mediocrity. 

We need one (or two) of those blond haired, gold - digging bimbos like those Hugh Hefner girls to keep Mike Brown occupied until we can win a Super Bowl or he dies. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 12:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bill Belichick is the best coach in modern history, and he’s not coddling anyone. He’s not even afraid to piss off his HOF QB.

Obviously there are stuff that goes on behind closed doors, but I have never seen Belichick show any anger on the sidelines, hell never even seen him smile at anyone.
Reply/Quote