Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
that "Ossai guy"
2 games in and where tf is this guy? Our pass rushing savior from last preseason
Reply/Quote
The rest of the defensive line is stealing all his thunder with that whopping 1 sack..  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind he wasn't fully healthy or cleared until camp or into camp. Which means he wasn't able to train like he normally would have. He likely hasn't regained all of his explosion, but hopefully continues to thru the season and comes on soon.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 11:57 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Keep in mind he wasn't fully healthy or cleared until camp or into camp.  Which means he wasn't able to train like he normally would have.  He likely hasn't regained all of his explosion, but hopefully continues to thru the season and comes on soon.

It could also just be he just isn't as good as some tried to make him out to be and had a few good snaps in 1 preseason game. He only had 11 sacks in 3 years of college play. 

I agree he's probably not 100% back from his injury and that may be part if the slow start. But the amount of hype he got for 1 game is insane.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 12:03 PM)TheFan Wrote: It could also just be he just isn't as good as some tried to make him out to be and had a few good snaps in 1 preseason game. He only had 11 sacks in 3 years of college play. 

I agree he's probably not 100% back from his injury and that may be part if the slow start. But the amount of hype he got for 1 game is insane.

Sometimes guys are better pros than college players.  I think I recall high reviews from his all-around camp performance last year too.  Don't recall hearing much about him this camp and wasn't much of a factor in preseason games.  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 12:03 PM)TheFan Wrote: It could also just be he just isn't as good as some tried to make him out to be and had a few good snaps in 1 preseason game. He only had 11 sacks in 3 years of college play. 

He was a consensus All-American in 2020.  He played only played 22 games his last 2 years at Texas, but had 145 tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 interceptions.

But he was often injured in college and we are seeing the same thing now.  You never can tell if these guys will turn it around or not.  Anthony Munoz had 2 knee surgeries in college and was an iron man in the NFL.  But a lot of guys who had problems with injury in college are never healthy in the NFL either.
Reply/Quote
Ossai is an early frontrunner to be the first ever defensive Golden Binns award winner.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Geez, just stop with all this bullshit. 2 games in, So and so sucks, a bust, coaches are overwhelmed and so on.....Ossai is in a rotation now and his snaps are down. He missed all last season, let him get his sea legs under him.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was a consensus All-American in 2020.  He played only played 22 games his last 2 years at Texas, but had 145 tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 interceptions.

But he was often injured in college and we are seeing the same thing now.  You never can tell if these guys will turn it around or not.  Anthony Munoz had 2 knee surgeries in college and was an iron man in the NFL.  But a lot of guys who had problems with injury in college are never healthy in the NFL either.

I'm not saying he's was/is not a good player- but the expectation that he was going to be some amazing passrusher may have been a bit premature. I don't recall if anyone here really talked about it as much but I know on some of the Bengals podcasts they had talks of being him a possible 10 sack player. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 01:47 PM)jason Wrote: Ossai is an early frontrunner to be the first ever defensive Golden Binns award winner.

I've been on the Ossai bandwagon ever since the preseason games last season. I know it was preseason. And I'm still trying to hold out hope because our lack of pass rush is one of our bigger problems that's kinda been flying under the radar.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 02:02 PM)TheFan Wrote: I'm not saying he's was/is not a good player- but the expectation that he was going to be some amazing passrusher may have been a bit premature. I don't recall if anyone here really talked about it as much but I know on some of the Bengals podcasts they had talks of being him a possible 10 sack player. 

You do realize he has played in 2 NFL games and only had a handful snaps in each game?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 02:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You do realize he has played in 2 NFL games and only had a handful snaps in each game?

Exactly, which is why I said he was super overhyped as some savior to our sack woes, by some. Again, I'm not saying he's a bad player or won't be good. 
Reply/Quote
I’ll keep an eye on him against the Jets

I haven’t noticed him at all and for an edge rusher that’s not good
-Housh
Reply/Quote
The trade back with Carman and extra picks of Ossai and Smith not looking good right now
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 05:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The trade back with Carman and extra picks of Ossai and Smith not looking good right now

I mean it’s been 2 games

But you would love it if he was getting pressures.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 02:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've been on the Ossai bandwagon ever since the preseason games last season. I know it was preseason. And I'm still trying to hold out hope because our lack of pass rush is one of our bigger problems that's kinda been flying under the radar.

You mean preseason game. He played 1 I believe and got hurt in it.
Reply/Quote
We may have oversold him a little bit as a pass rusher based on one snap in a pre-season game.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 05:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The trade back with Carman and extra picks of Ossai and Smith not looking good right now

Think of it like this:

If they didn't trade back and get those 2 4ths, they would have needed to find a pass rusher and offensive lineman somewhere in day 3. Maybe, since they didn't trade down, they now take a pass rusher in the 5th round instead of McPherson, as a kicker is often considered a "luxury pick."

That's how I've become okay with the trade down: It gave us Shooter :)

EDIT: Also of note, Ossai wasn't technically involved in the Carman trade (though having those extra 4th round picks may have influenced who we took in the 3rd round). We got Cam Sample, Tyler Shelvin and D'Ante Smith in the 4th. The Shelvin and Smith picks were the ones we got from New England.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 11:45 AM)kalibengal Wrote: 2 games in and where tf is this guy? Our pass rushing savior from last preseason

He will always be the guy that we drafted instead of Spencer Brown, the RT I was clamoring for from NDSU.  He's the starting RT for Buffalo.  I have high hopes for Ossai, but so far we drafted the wrong guy.  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 01:56 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Geez, just stop with all this bullshit.  2 games in, So and so sucks, a bust, coaches are overwhelmed and so on.....Ossai is in a rotation now and his snaps are down. He missed all last season, let him get his sea legs under him.

It is quite a bit different draft position, but this is Ossai's second season, he is healthy, and we watch the rookie in Detroit get 3 sacks in one game.  Maybe not everyone needs to get their sea legs under them?
Reply/Quote