Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the 7th round edge guys
So, last yr I was a little bit hyped about Wyatt Hubert and unfortunately never had opportunity to see him play....now we have another 7th round edge guy in Gunter that everyone is hyping up. I have never seen him play either.
So, out of the 2 what is the prediction assuming Hubert is back 100%?

BTW= say LAC signed Kyle Van Noy...they arent playing around...Bosa, Mack, Van Noy, JC Jackson, Derwin James on D
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:13 AM)kalibengal Wrote: BTW= say LAC signed Kyle Van Noy...they arent playing around...Bosa, Mack, Van Noy, JC Jackson, Derwin James on D

Chargers also lost 3 defensive starters in free agency including Kyzir White who finished number 8 in the league with 144 tackles.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:13 AM)kalibengal Wrote: So, last yr I was a little bit hyped about Wyatt Hubert and unfortunately never had opportunity to see him play....now we have another 7th round edge guy in Gunter that everyone is hyping up. I have never seen him play either.

BTW= say LAC signed Kyle Van Noy...they arent playing around...Bosa, Mack, Van Noy, JC Jackson, Derwin James on D

Assuming the Bengals go 10 DBs and 5 LBs, that usually means 10 DL.

DL locks:
- Hill
- Reader
- Hubbard
- Hendrickson
- Ossai
- Carter
- Sample

Likely to make it:
- Tupou
- Shelvin

That leaves really just one spot to be fought between Kareem, Hubert, Gunter, and Spence.

Kareem is the incumbent, but I think he's lacking in the pass rush department. He's good against the run though.
I could see Hubert or Gunter making it over Kareem if they want some more potential in the pass rush.
Hubert has the best college production, Gunter has the better size and athleticism.
If you're wanting the guy with the highest ceiling, it's probably Gunter.

Or they could go crazy and pick up a cheap past-his-prime vet who is still probably safer depth than any of them, such as Ryan Kerrigan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Assuming the Bengals go 10 DBs and 5 LBs, that usually means 10 DL.

DL locks:
- Hill
- Reader
- Hubbard
- Hendrickson
- Ossai
- Carter
- Sample

Likely to make it:
- Tupou
- Shelvin

That leaves really just one spot to be fought between Kareem, Hubert, Gunter, and Spence.

Kareem is the incumbent, but I think he's lacking in the pass rush department. He's good against the run though.
I could see Hubert or Gunter making it over Kareem if they want some more potential in the pass rush.
Hubert has the best college production, Gunter has the better size and athleticism.

couple likely gets stashed on PS. to develop
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: couple likely gets stashed on PS. to develop

Hubert and Gunter they probably could stash there.
But there isn't a lot of proven ability of a player who starts out on the PS turning into a quality starter or even rotational guy down the road.
They usually end up falling out of the league within a few years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't expect much from any of these guys, But I have seen two years of Kareem and he has not impressed me.

The other guys might not be any better, but I ready to give someone new a chance.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 12:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hubert and Gunter they probably could stash there.
But there isn't a lot of proven ability of a player who starts out on the PS turning into a quality starter or even rotational guy down the road.
They usually end up falling out of the league within a few years.

well most teams dont really develop the guys just use them as fodder.. We have in the past at least had some guys come up. and contribute.

Generally late round draft picks are like UDFA's you want to make sure are in your camp.

NFL = Not for long for a lot of players....   some never get much of a shot and even less now with less preseason games. The 2 expansion leagues will be going after PS talent too.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:13 AM)kalibengal Wrote: So, last yr I was a little bit hyped about Wyatt Hubert and unfortunately never had opportunity to see him play....now we have another 7th round edge guy in Gunter that everyone is hyping up. I have never seen him play either.

Good topic.  funny; I was thinking of this very thing yesterday.  I like them both, however with the understanding that the odds are ultimately  against them.   I like Gunter's chances a little better, as he seems more versatile and with some better technique and athleticism, opposed to Wyatt being more reliant on motor.  Gunter seems like a similar fit to what they are hoping Ossai can do. 
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 11:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Assuming the Bengals go 10 DBs and 5 LBs, that usually means 10 DL.

DL locks:
- Hill
- Reader
- Hubbard
- Hendrickson
- Ossai
- Carter
- Sample

Likely to make it:
- Tupou
- Shelvin

Or they could go crazy and pick up a cheap past-his-prime vet who is still probably safer depth than any of them, such as Ryan Kerrigan.

I believe if it is a heads up battle between Hubert and Gunter that Hubert gets the roster spot. The film I have been able to find on both players shows, to me, that Hubert has a far higher motor and is just relentless. Gunter seems to let up at times and appears to lack a bit in instincts. Hubert appears to be a guy that you are not going to out work. 

Gunter seems to a a guy that brings some skills that they may try to put on the PS and let Hobby try to develop. I would not sell Kareen short though. He seems to be a very solid player when he is on the field and very technically sound.
Reply/Quote
It seems like the Bengals D is going for a smaller quicker lineup. Just hope it doesn't sacrifice too much from run D. To me, our LB's might need to be better at stopping the run than covering, our extra safety will become our coverage LB.
Reply/Quote
I think it might take a year in the weight room for Gunter to get a spot depending on how hard he works in getting stronger.

So Hubert might get the last spot if he has been working hard. He has a foot in the door already, I wanted to see Kareem
grow as a pass rusher last year but I didn't see it. Good run stopper though, but we have lots of them. Hubert is my guess
as the last guy to make it cause he can get to the passer as long as he is healthy from what I saw of his college tape.
Reply/Quote