Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the interior Passrush
(05-02-2023, 08:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Devonnsha Maxwell played DT at Chattanoga and had 37.5 sacks, 55.5 tackles for loss and 5 forced fumbles. Let's see if he can translate that to the big stage.

Wow, knew nothing about this guy from Chattanooga. Those are some numbers WTF? Shocked

(05-02-2023, 12:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: 37.5 sacks from the DT spot? Was he a man amongst boys or what? That is an amazing stat...

No doubt. Not only the Sacks but the TFL is crazy. I don't care how small a school the dude is from, that is some promising stuff if 
this Maxwell guy can make the jump. To have those type of stats is mind blowing from a DT no matter what level.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:46 PM)kalibengal Wrote: First off, I like the Murphy pick and will bring some edge speed we lack.
But the question is how did we improve our interior passrush? are we sold on Zack Carter who I dont think logged one full sack? Sample is a good motor guy and is solid backup but Im concerned since we barely eeeked out 30 sacks last yr.
We were so much better with Larry O along side Reader in this regard.

One of Gunter, Carter and Sample are getting cut this off-season. There’s just no reason to carry so many d linemen that don’t pass rush well. Sample is probably a lock but idk about the other 2
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 01:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, knew nothing about this guy from Chattanooga. Those are some numbers WTF? Shocked

No doubt. Not only the Sacks but the TFL is crazy. I don't care how small a school the dude is from, that is some promising stuff if 
this Maxwell guy can make the jump. To have those type of stats is mind blowing from a DT no matter what level.

Yes, he did all that from the DT position. I'm just not clear on what kind of competition Chattanoga faces. He was clearly on a different level from his adversaries.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 01:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, knew nothing about this guy from Chattanooga. Those are some numbers WTF? Shocked

That's over a 5 year period, but what's impressive is he missed significant time in two of those years. Also made the Dean's list numerous times.

https://gomocs.com/sports/football/roster/devonnsha-maxwell/8925
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 03:31 PM)Housh Wrote: One of Gunter, Carter and Sample are getting cut this off-season. There’s just no reason to carry so many d linemen that don’t pass rush well. Sample is probably a lock but idk about the other 2

We are not cutting Sample or Carter. Dample is a DE/DT hybrid who can set the edge vs the run. He does that well. Hubbard light. Hendrickson & Ossai are the pass rush guys. They think Murphy can do both, which is why they ran to the podium.

Gunter/Basham are the odd men out at DE. 

Steady as she goes at NT/DT. Reader, Hill, Tupou, Carter, Reader.  (EDIT: Tufele).

Maxwell & Davis are PS guys.  .

Anything is possible, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:46 PM)kalibengal Wrote: First off, I like the Murphy pick and will bring some edge speed we lack.
But the question is how did we improve our interior passrush? are we sold on Zack Carter who I dont think logged one full sack? Sample is a good motor guy and is solid backup but Im concerned since we barely eeeked out 30 sacks last yr.
We were so much better with Larry O along side Reader in this regard.

I think you'll find Dlines consisting of any number of mixes of the following....

Murphy
Hubbard
Carter
Hendrickson
Osai

You could do a pretty nasty Rush with all 5 or any combo of the 4.

Obviously a premium rush package would look like: Murphy/Hubbard/Hendrickson/Osai
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, he did all that from the DT position. I'm just not clear on what kind of competition Chattanoga faces. He was clearly on a different level from his adversaries.

Hey, Volson was like a man amongst boys at North Dakota State and he sure wasn't bad last year as a rookie.

Yah never know, might of found a diamond in the rough here in Maxwell with fantastic numbers.

(05-02-2023, 04:26 PM)rupethereitis Wrote: That's over a 5 year period, but what's impressive is he missed significant time in two of those years.  Also made the Dean's list numerous times.

https://gomocs.com/sports/football/roster/devonnsha-maxwell/8925

Cool, thanks, impressive for sure. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, he did all that from the DT position. I'm just not clear on what kind of competition Chattanoga faces. He was clearly on a different level from his adversaries.

And decent size.  6'3"/   300lbs.   So good size for an interior guy.   Be interested to watch this guy.  

On offense I've been concerned about the TE position.  On defense I felt like we needed an upgrade at 3 technique.  

Hopefully this guy solves the latter problem.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, we don't have to worry about Armani Bledoe coming back:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-suspends-amani-bledsoe-17-games-free-agent-defensive-lineman-violated-leagues-ped-policy/ar-AA1aEOxl

Quote:The NFL has suspended free agent defensive lineman Amani Bledsoe for the first 17 weeks of the 2023 regular season for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing substances.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 12:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, we don't have to worry about Armani Bledoe coming back:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-suspends-amani-bledsoe-17-games-free-agent-defensive-lineman-violated-leagues-ped-policy/ar-AA1aEOxl

The guy hasn't played in the Bengals since 2020, but they managed to picture him in a Bengals jersey rather than his most recent teams (Titats, Falcons). 
Reply/Quote

That one dude from Chattanooga wound up ok.... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 06:33 PM)3wt Wrote: And decent size.  6'3"/   300lbs.   So good size for an interior guy.   Be interested to watch this guy.  

On offense I've been concerned about the TE position.  On defense I felt like we needed an upgrade at 3 technique.  

Hopefully this guy solves the latter problem.

Nice, bigger than Zach Carter who seemed a touch undersized and underwhelming as a pass rusher early last season.

Carter WAS better late in the year, but it was mainly as a run stopper. Maxwell could certainly be the 3-tech with those numbers 
and the fact he DID play 3T in college, unlike Carter who played a lot on the EDGE at Florida. Myles Murphy can move inside and
be a presence as a pass rusher from the inside on passing downs which makes this an even better pick.

I like Cam Sample too, we will see how these guys grow as it was the weakness on the DL even if BJ Hill does a lot of great things
I don't consider him an outright 3-tech.

(05-03-2023, 12:49 PM)Nepa Wrote: The guy hasn't played in the Bengals since 2020, but they managed to picture him in a Bengals jersey rather than his most recent teams (Titats, Falcons). 

They do that a lot don't they.... Whatever

Any way to associate an Off field problem player with the Bengals even though he wasn't an off field problem here...

(05-03-2023, 12:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: That one dude from Chattanooga wound up ok.... Ninja

Forgive me Wyche, which one?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice, bigger than Zach Carter who seemed a touch undersized and underwhelming as a pass rusher early last season.

Carter WAS better late in the year, but it was mainly as a run stopper. Maxwell could certainly be the 3-tech with those numbers 
and the fact he DID play 3T in college, unlike Carter who played a lot on the EDGE at Florida. Myles Murphy can move inside and
be a presence as a pass rusher from the inside on passing downs which makes this an even better pick.

I like Cam Sample too, we will see how these guys grow as it was the weakness on the DL even if BJ Hill does a lot of great things
I don't consider him an outright 3-tech.

They do that a lot don't they.... Whatever

Any way to associate an Off field problem player with the Bengals even though he wasn't an off field problem here...

Forgive me Wyche, which one?

Obviously multi-platinum award winning artist Kenny Chesney……nah he means T.O.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 02:00 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Obviously multi-platinum award winning artist Kenny Chesney……nah he means T.O.

Ahhh, didn't know Terrell Owens was from Chattanooga, thanks.

Chesney Rocks and I am not a country fan, love some of his drinking tunes. Smirk

Think Chesney is a Bengal fan too.
Reply/Quote
they're clearly banking on Zach Carter developing

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote