Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
the intolerance of the different gender community
even though the bible says stuff like this is an abomination to god, i have been making a real effort to respect their pronouns, what they want to be called. there are so many though that it's hard to keep track and some even change by the minute. and when you make a mistake or don't remember right away, all of a sudden they circle like sharks and accuse you of being phobic this and phobic that. i'm not just talking about the actual different gender folks either but the liberals that pretend to be their protectors against people that just made an honest mistake.

i would think they would appreciate someone trying to make an effort and realize that it's a lot to keep up with and remember every single thing. instead they treat you like the worst thing ever if you make a simple mistake, while you're honestly trying to learn and be respectful of it as you can, without betraying your own beliefs.

the intolerance is crazy because is just makes people not want to even try to deal with it. if they were more tolerant, i think they would be surprised that many who don't agree with their lifestyle are at least willing to try and learn and get along.
Reply/Quote
I thought this forum had posting requirements.....something like 1000 rep plus 1 year membership......I'm beginning to think this is a troll account by another member from our forums.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 06:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: I thought this forum had posting requirements.....something like 1000 rep plus 1 year membership......I'm beginning to think this is a troll account by another member from our forums.

no thoughts on how people with different beliefs and lifestyles can try and get along better and be more tolerant?

if we can't even talk and ask questions on the internet how are we supposed to do it in real life?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 05:50 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: even though the bible says stuff like this is an abomination to god, i have been making a real effort to respect their pronouns, what they want to be called. there are so many though that it's hard to keep track and some even change by the minute. and when you make a mistake or don't remember right away, all of a sudden they circle like sharks and accuse you of being phobic this and phobic that. i'm not just talking about the actual different gender folks either but the liberals that pretend to be their protectors against people that just made an honest mistake.

i would think they would appreciate someone trying to make an effort and realize that it's a lot to keep up with and remember every single thing. instead they treat you like the worst thing ever if you make a simple mistake, while you're honestly trying to learn and be respectful of it as you can, without betraying your own beliefs.

the intolerance is crazy because is just makes people not want to even try to deal with it. if they were more tolerant, i think they would be surprised that many who don't agree with their lifestyle are at least willing to try and learn and get along.

Usually if you tell someone that you disagree with their lifestyle and that your god says they are an abomination. They won't like you.

And it's actually pretty intolerant on your end.

Is this a problem you personally deal with frequently?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 07:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Usually if you tell someone that you disagree with their lifestyle and that your god says they are an abomination. They won't like you.

And it's actually pretty intolerant on your end.

Is this a problem you personally deal with frequently?

not frequently, but recently yes. i was making a good faith effort, but a couple of simple mistakes led to getting overblown by people that i think just wanted to be offended for the people more than the people themselves. it ruined the progress we were making. maybe it can be built back up, but i have little faith that the intolerance won't rear it's ugly head again at the smallest slip up.
Reply/Quote
To the OP's point, I don't care two bits how someone else lives. It doesn't bother me. That said, do not expect or require me to go along with their lunacy and butchery of the English language. He, She, him or her are singular. They and Them are plural. So unless someone has multiple personalities, don't expect me to call a singular person "they". It's stupid, and I'll not play along.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 09:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: To the OP's point, I don't care two bits how someone else lives. It doesn't bother me. That said, do not expect or require me to go along with their lunacy and butchery of the English language. He, She, him or her are singular. They and Them are plural. So unless someone has multiple personalities, don't expect me to call a singular person "they". It's stupid, and I'll not play along.

I can't disagree with this in the general, but if someone specifically asks me, it's no skin off my back, but I'm not going to play this "my pronouns are" stuff.  That being said, I haven't encountered anyone who prefers different pronouns so I don't really have any experience with it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 09:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: To the OP's point, I don't care two bits how someone else lives. It doesn't bother me. That said, do not expect or require me to go along with their lunacy and butchery of the English language. He, She, him or her are singular. They and Them are plural. So unless someone has multiple personalities, don't expect me to call a singular person "they". It's stupid, and I'll not play along.

I'd wager all the money in your bank account that you have called a singular person they several times in your life, and probably will continue to do so. Singular they is very common and proper in the English language.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 09:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I can't disagree with this in the general, but if someone specifically asks me, it's no skin off my back, but I'm not going to play this "my pronouns are" stuff.  That being said, I haven't encountered anyone who prefers different pronouns so I don't really have any experience with it.

I personally have no issue with it and would address them as such. It doesn't harm me or affect me in any manner and is more of a social courtesy. I do want to comment on your last sentence, though. The amount of people in the United States that are non-binary (they/them) is very, very low. The current estimate is 1.2 million people, which is 0.36% of the population of the United States. Most of them are younger than 29, and the vast majority of them living in urban centers (89%). They are unlikely to live in the midwest compared to the other geographical regions of the U.S. I would say that most people are unlikely to run into someone who is non-binary and have any meaningful conversation with them. 

If they do, it is quite literally the easiest thing to just give them the social courtesy of calling them by their preferred pronouns and go about your day. I do understand that there are people who don't operate this way and want to be confrontational, but it is such a small group of the population that it is inconsequential to just move along. I think the fact that it has been a talking point in the news over the last few years makes it seem bigger than it is, but this is a very niche group of individuals. 
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 07:25 PM)Tiger Blood Wrote: not frequently, but recently yes. i was making a good faith effort, but a couple of simple mistakes led to getting overblown by people that i think just wanted to be offended for the people more than the people themselves. it ruined the progress we were making. maybe it can be built back up, but i have little faith that the intolerance won't rear it's ugly head again at the smallest slip up.

im basically in the center on my politics and I tend to agree with the OP on this one. How can anybody expect us to remember what all the different designations are out there for someones sexuality? Ive seen literally 20 to 30 and I still only retain the basic 4 (lesbian, gay, bi and trans) 
there are "omni" sexuals, "pan" sexuals etc...the list keeps growing. Why cant we just lump all the others outside the basic 4 into "*****"? 
Reply/Quote
This thread was created to peddle some likely BS story about the OP trying to be civil to abominations to god who mercilessly attacked him despite his sincere efforts to respect them.

I have to wonder how and why someone like the OP runs into zounds of people like this.

Im a little lost on the loudest conservative narratives at the moment.  Americans are apparently too concerned with gas prices to care if our democracy is being undone, but have the time to get worked up about possibly running into people who angrily demand to be referred to as "they."
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 10:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This thread was created to peddle some likely BS story about the OP trying to be civil to abominations to god who mercilessly attacked him despite his sincere efforts to respect them.

I have to wonder how and why someone like the OP runs into zounds of people like this.

Im a little lost on the loudest conservative narratives at the moment.  Americans are apparently too concerned with gas prices to care if our democracy is being undone, but have the time to get worked up about possibly running into people who angrily demand to be referred to as "they."

aww Nate don't be naïve.  It's very clear it was another member from this board.  Just look at the post history it made outside this forum.  It's quite literally an account made by someone who truly believes that's how all conservatives think.  An NBA All Time top 5 of just white guys?  The penis and butts "agenda" from The Boys? LOL seriously?

I just hope the mods figure out who it was and ban them too.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 12:36 PM)basballguy Wrote: aww Nate don't be naïve.  It's very clear it was another member from this board.  Just look at the post history it made outside this forum.  It's quite literally an account made by someone who truly believes that's how all conservatives think.  An NBA All Time top 5 of just white guys?  The penis and butts "agenda" from The Boys?  LOL seriously?

I just hope the mods figure out who it was and ban them too.  

I'm open to that possibility, but I do know people that make it clear his views aren't too insane to be held by non-trolling people. 

Well they're insane views, but they aren't as rare as you'd think. 
Reply/Quote
Who cares about what the Bible say. Apply that to you and let the other people decide their life.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 12:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm open to that possibility, but I do know people that make it clear his views aren't too insane to be held by non-trolling people. 

Well they're insane views, but they aren't as rare as you'd think. 

Indeed.

The views that have been expressed by the OP in in this sub-forum aren't nearly as rare and unique as they should be. There is an uncomfortable percentage of the population that share very similar predilections to that of the OP. Whether it be far right extremist, Q-Anon acolytes, conspiracy theorist, religious fundamentalists or any of the adjacent ideological groups / movements.

I have find that many people who share, espouse or condone such views will recoil when confronted about the absurdity and harmfulness of their assertions / positions. It's as if they recognize the insanity of their takes, but they can't bring themselves to acknowledge it or admit they are the type of people who would allow for it. Of course, there are many other who truly and unapologetically believe this insanity, which is extremely concerning and frightening on an entirely different level. 

One need look no farther than this very sub-forum to find alarming points of view that align - in some form or fashion - with views expressed by the OP in this section before he found himself banned. Some here cloak those views in better structure of argumentation and utilize a more sanitized verbiage - although there are some who are much more direct - as to give themselves cover and separation from notions of extremism or dangerous ideology. However, when looking at the core components of their arguments, they seem to entail many similarities to that which they would deem extreme or insist no reasonable person would actually believe.
Reply/Quote

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/singular-nonbinary-they

"they has been in consistent use as a singular pronoun since the late 1300s; that the development of singular they mirrors the development of the singular you from the plural you, yet we don’t complain that singular you is ungrammatical; and that regardless of what detractors say, nearly everyone uses the singular they in casual conversation and often in formal writing." 

In order to be intellectually honest about categorizing something as "stupid", you must first ensure that you are properly educated about the subject. 
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 10:01 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'd wager all the money in your bank account that you have called a singular person they several times in your life, and probably will continue to do so. Singular they is very common and proper in the English language.

Well, you would lose what little money is in there on that bet.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 02:47 PM)Lucidus Wrote: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/singular-nonbinary-they

"they has been in consistent use as a singular pronoun since the late 1300s; that the development of singular they mirrors the development of the singular you from the plural you, yet we don’t complain that singular you is ungrammatical; and that regardless of what detractors say, nearly everyone uses the singular they in casual conversation and often in formal writing." 

In order to be intellectually honest about categorizing something as "stupid", you must first ensure that you are properly educated about the subject. 

From your link

" the use of they as a gender-neutral pronoun (as in, “Ask each of the students what they want for lunch.”) is ungrammatical because they is a plural pronoun."

Because you're talking about a "group" of students..... plural, ie more than one....

" If I were introducing a friend who preferred to use the pronoun they, I would say, “This is my friend, Jay. I met them at work.”

Does "Jay" have a mouse in his pocket? Again, just plain dumb and stupid. Feel free to address that person however you wish, just do not expect me to play along.
Reply/Quote
As someone who doesn't believe a word in the bible I object on the basis that bible thumpers get to cherry pick what counts and what doesn't count. Ever had a hair cut? You're going straight to H E Double dirty Q-tips.. Unless of course you believe it's all nonsense and then you aren't.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 04:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, just plain dumb and stupid. Feel free to address that person however you wish, just do not expect me to play along.

As a homosexual, I've heard versions of this same type of thinking far too many times [being gay is not a real thing, not going to play along with your delusion, etc]. 

People such as yourself and the OP are why members of the LGBTQIAS2+ community often become defensive and emotional in their response. Constantly dealing with people who refuse to accept you as who and what you are is tiring, disheartening and often painful.
Reply/Quote