Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
the intolerance of the different gender community
(06-24-2022, 07:47 PM)Lucidus Wrote: As a homosexual, I've heard versions of this same type of thinking far too many times [being gay is not a real thing, not going to play along with your delusion, etc]. 

People such as yourself and the OP are why members of the LGBTQIAS2+ community often become defensive and emotional in their response. Constantly dealing with people who refuse to accept you as who and what you are is tiring, disheartening and often painful.

I have 3 lesbian granddaughters and a grandson who is "gender neutral" whatever that means, but I will defend his right to declare whatever he wants.. it's like being "offended" someone else died their hair another color and demanded to say it's the same color as before..  I came of age during the Stonewall bar riots and know people who were involved..  This isn't going away just because some uptight assholes feel uncomfortable around anyone who doesn't conform to their stereotypes of correctness.. The right wing is always going on and on and on about "political correctness" and the evils of it unless it suits their agenda.. fight them with all you have and never let up.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2022, 07:47 PM)Lucidus Wrote: As a homosexual, I've heard versions of this same type of thinking far too many times [being gay is not a real thing, not going to play along with your delusion, etc]. 

People such as yourself and the OP are why members of the LGBTQIAS2+ community often become defensive and emotional in their response. Constantly dealing with people who refuse to accept you as who and what you are is tiring, disheartening and often painful.

Now don't go making this about being anti-gay or whatever. It's not. I have relatives who are gay, and many friends who are gay. I don't think they can "choose" to be straight any more than I could "choose" to be gay. I don't care one iota how they choose to live their life, if they find someone to love that loves them back, then God Bless them. I'm just not going to call a singular person "they" or "them" because it's F'n stupid. If that person wants to be called he or she, so be it, but one person is not a group. Y'all feel free to engage in this stupidity, just do not expect me to. And BTW, those people I mentioned all think it's F'n stupid as well.....
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 08:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Now don't go making this about being anti-gay or whatever. It's not. I have relatives who are gay, and many friends who are gay. I don't think they can "choose" to be straight any more than I could "choose" to be gay. I don't care one iota how they choose to live their life, if they find someone to love that loves them back, then God Bless them. I'm just not going to call a singular person "they" or "them" because it's F'n stupid. If that person wants to be called he or she, so be it, but one person is not a group. Y'all feel free to engage in this stupidity, just do not expect me to. And BTW, those people I mentioned all think it's F'n stupid as well.....

So English is your second language?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Hot take: Doesn't it do more to tear down gender norms if you don't switch pronouns/your name? You can be a boy named Janet, a girl named John, or any other sort of entity. The sooner people get used to that the easier it will be for everyone. Also, there is something to the idea that you can be whomever you want but once you start asking others to do something then it isn't just about tolerance. One might argue *you* are making a demand of *them* and even attempting to exercise power over them.

Before people attack me, know that I do try to use the pronouns and names people ask me to but sometimes it is frustrating and inhibits communications (which is what language is actually for). If you are trying to tell someone about a third party who they haven't seen in awhile you are stuck either spending time explaining things or deadnaming or confusing them.

By the way, that has taken an extreme (though obviously rare) form in some East coast universities where there are young people changing their gender identity at parties for just one night. Again this makes it very difficult to communicate. "X just met Y at that party last night." "Who?" "X. You probably know them as Z, though they were A before college, B at the party you were at last week, and C at the party the week before." "...WHO?" And no, I'm not making this up this is a thing that is happening.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2022, 06:54 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Hot take: Doesn't it do more to tear down gender norms if you don't switch pronouns/your name? You can be a boy named Janet, a girl named John, or any other sort of entity. The sooner people get used to that the easier it will be for everyone. Also, there is something to the idea that you can be whomever you want but once you start asking others to do something then it isn't just about tolerance. One might argue *you* are making a demand of *them* and even attempting to exercise power over them.

Before people attack me, know that I do try to use the pronouns and names people ask me to but sometimes it is frustrating and inhibits communications (which is what language is actually for). If you are trying to tell someone about a third party who they haven't seen in awhile you are stuck either spending time explaining things or deadnaming or confusing them.

By the way, that has taken an extreme (though obviously rare) form in some East coast universities where there are young people changing their gender identity at parties for just one night. Again this makes it very difficult to communicate. "X just met Y at that party last night." "Who?" "X. You probably know them as Z, though they were A before college, B at the party you were at last week, and C at the party the week before." "...WHO?" And no, I'm not making this up this is a thing that is happening.

-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote