Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the problem with Bengals philosophy
I think the Bengals have missed a lot over the past 5 years on draft picks. That's the biggest knock.

My biggest draft philosophy criticism is drafting 2 OT's in Rounds 1 and 2...1 that has a serious knee injury. They obviously did that so they could let Smith go and save money, and then let Whitworth go and have his huge salary come off the books...but there is a decline.

For whatever reason, Smith didn't draw a lot of interest from other teams and could have been retained for a decent price.

Use that draft pick on actually upgrading the roster then.

The Bengals use high draft picks to replace players that are going to make a lot of money in free agency...rather than upgrade the overall team talent level.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 03:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't think the talent is as great and deep as you say.

Guys like Zeitler and Michael Johnson have been below average this year. We're worse at RT after losing Andre Smith. We're worse at safety after losing Reggie Nelson. Williams has not been as good.

I'd say Marvin Jones was slightly better than LaFell.

What positions are we better at this year than we were last year?

Bengals haven't drafted for immediate needs in how many years. They drafted 2 tackles 2 drafts ago to replace whit and smith a year later. We drafted a corner this year with no intention of him playing. They draft for depth. And when rookies don't play they need time to develop. The oline is a big issue this year. They will get better with time
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 03:04 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Guys the problem with the team is not the departing free agents except possibly Andre Smith

The problem is that our lines are average ( D) and below average (O).

When the QB gets 5 to 6 seconds to throw, lots of 5th round WRs can get open and most NFL QBs will hit them

When the QB has two second or less to throw because your center is getting bull rushed you could have AJ, Julio Jones and Moss in his prime and it would not matter.

Our prime competition - the Steelers- have a much superior O line and a D line that allows their LBs to make plays.

That is the problem - not the FAs that left.

marvin lewis is not that good coach all teams need,he is average at best and always gets outcoached against better teams.The whole world knows tom brady is going to kill our guys and once again we are the whipping boys of nfl.this team will finish 8 and 8 and jeremey hill  is a bust.He cannot see the hole and this line is awlful.another long embarrassing season.Oh guess what,everyone will say there is always next year.and the stoolers will win the division AGAIN and probably be in the afc championship game.
Reply/Quote