Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"turn around" and "breakout seasons"
Every year there are players who perform better than I, or others here, thought they would. There also are usually players who underperform based on my expectations, but I am not talking about those guys in this thread.

C.J. Uzomah...Did not have a big year statistically (19th among TEs in receptions and 20th in yards), but became hugely popular as a face and voice of the players. He actually had a better season in 2018 when he finished 15th in receptions and 18th in yards, but he is now a fan favorite because of his personality. Before the season there were a lot of fans who really down on him, but I think that was as much because of his salary as his production. It will be interesting to see what fans think he is worth in free agency this year.

Sam Hubbard...Hubbard started his career as a fan favorite local boy. I was kind of surprised at the number of fans who were down on him for his low sack total last year. We had probably the worst DTs in the league last year. Not even Carl Lawson, who has elite pass rushing ability, could get many sacks with our defense last year. Hubbard's sack rate this year was actually lower than it was over his first two seasons, and he had fewer tackles than he did in 19. But He had a lot of pressures and TFL and a big fumble return. So he is back to being a fan favorite.

Jonah Williams...Still does not look like the top O-lineman from a draft but playing the full 17 games was huge. Don't know how many of you remember but before the season started Jonah's health was the biggest concern of many Bengal fans (including me). Hopefully he is still developing and will be even better next year.

Logan Wilson...100 tackles and 4 interceptions in just 13 regular season games. Other than the 4 picks he was really weak in pass coverage, but overall he looks promising for the future. Over his last 4 games (Ten, LV, KCx2) he is averaging 9.5 tackles with 2 PD, 1 int, 1 TFL, and 1 QB hit. Plus I think Kay Adams has a crush on him.

B.J. Hill...Far outpaced everyone's expectations because no one had any expectations. Played 50% of snaps and recorded 50 tkls, 5.5 sacks, 12 QB hits, and 6 TFL. This was not just a fluke season. Hill was the 69th pick of the '18 draf after starting for 4 years at NC St. and testing well at the combine. He started 12 games as a rookie and had 48 tkls and 5.5 sacks. Could get paid to stay here because he will be cheaper than Ogunjobi.
Reply/Quote