Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
univ. of North Carolina does not allow the use of the word "man" or any form.
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/20/university-north-carolina-chapel-hills-writing-guide-discourages-use-word-man

Lol why would anyone send their kids to theae schools?
They have been actually doing that since 2009. And, although I have a transgender child, I think it is ridiculous and overboard. You have overreaction with the conservatives about things too. They are both annoying. Tongue
This article suggests that it is discouraged, rather than disallowed. Why the exaggeration?

I'll probably discourage my children from calling women police officers "policemen" as well.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-20-2015, 07:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/20/university-north-carolina-chapel-hills-writing-guide-discourages-use-word-man

Well with fewer choices there will be fewer mistakes made.   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
So, now we have a problem using neuter terms instead of defaulting to masculine when the gender is unknown? I mean, this is fairly standard stuff these days.

Welcome to the twenty-first century. Please leave your misogyny at the door.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-20-2015, 07:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/20/university-north-carolina-chapel-hills-writing-guide-discourages-use-word-man

In all honesty, it is in the students best interests to follow the guide.
Considering how amazingly easy it is to offend people today, I can't imagine anyone wanting their child to make a mistake like this (albeit miniscule) and possible impede their career.
The Social Justice Warriors out there are frothing to go after people.
They go to amazing extremes to ruin the careers of and perpetually shame "offenders".
I doubt they'd go after someone not following the guide, but why risk such a thing in this climate.

I know I've changed from saying "fireman" to "firefighter" and my jimmies are unrustled.
I think it's just good form.
So I guess it's important for us to call women men?
Freshpeople is the dumbest word ever. That said, "discouraging" is a far cry from "does not allow in any form".
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-20-2015, 09:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Freshpeople is the dumbest word ever. That said, "discouraging" is a far cry from "does not allow in any form".

They totally should just change it to Newbie.
Big Grin
If the gender is known then the proper associated pronoun should be used. If the gender is unknown then the masculine form should be allowed. It is grammar. But alas to be PC we have to write sentences such as:

If anyone wants his or her picture taken, he or she should dress appropriately, unless he or she has a note from his or her mother or father.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-20-2015, 09:35 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: They totally should just change it to Newbie.
Big Grin

FROSH
[Image: PCU1.jpg]

(09-20-2015, 09:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If the gender is known then the proper associated pronoun should be used. If the gender is unknown then the masculine form should be allowed. It is grammar. But alas to be PC we have to write sentences such as:

If anyone wants his or her picture taken, he or she should dress appropriately, unless he or she has a note from his or her mother or father.

It is allowed, just discouraged. As for your statement in regards to the grammar, the singular they is grammatically acceptable and far less clumsy than your sample sentence. It has been use for a long time.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-20-2015, 10:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It is allowed, just discouraged. As for your statement as to the grammar, the singular they is grammatically acceptable and far less clumsy than your sample sentence. It has been use for a long time.

I will not be using you as my language mechanics tutor. Especially if I am preparing to write a grammar proficiency paper. 

(09-20-2015, 10:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will not be using you as my language mechanics tutor. Especially if I am preparing to write a grammar proficiency paper. 

Words aren't my thing, numbers are. My wife, however, is an instructor in Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication here. So I at least have a resource for such things. Or I could turn to one of the multiple writing style guides littered about our apartment if she is not at home when I have a question, all of which discuss the acceptability of the singular they.

(09-20-2015, 09:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If the gender is known then the proper associated pronoun should be used. If the gender is unknown then the masculine form should be allowed. It is grammar. But alas to be PC we have to write sentences such as:

What's wrong with approaching your sentence like this?

If anyone wants their picture taken, they should dress appropriately, unless they have a note from their mother or father.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(09-20-2015, 10:47 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: If anyone wants their picture taken, they should dress appropriately, unless they have a note from their parent.

You could clean it up a bit that way too.

(09-20-2015, 10:47 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: What's wrong with approaching your sentence like this?

If anyone wants their picture taken, they should dress appropriately, unless they have a note from their mother or father.

Because there are people who think that it is unacceptable that "they" refers to a singular, despite being used like that for centuries. 
(09-20-2015, 11:09 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Because there are still people who think that it is unacceptable that "they" refers to a singular, despite being used like that for centuries. 

And to be fair, some of them are grammarians. They are just in the minority that is growing smaller all the time.

(09-20-2015, 11:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: And to be fair, some of them are grammarians. They are just in the minority that is growing smaller all the time.

Sounds a lot like some other viewpoints.....Ninja
(09-20-2015, 10:47 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: What's wrong with approaching your sentence like this?

Anyone is singular, they is not