Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
univ. of North Carolina does not allow the use of the word "man" or any form.
(09-20-2015, 11:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Anyone is singular, they is not

Is this better?

If any student wants their picture taken, they should dress appropriately, unless they have a note from their mother or father.

What sentence are you suggesting?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
More idiotic liberal shit.

Gee I hope these idiots understand that "man" or "mankind" is all inclusive. When it's said that man landed on the moon, it doesn't imply males.

If not then they have a lot of "fixing" to do.

Man to man defense.

Every man for himself.

Man up.

Manpower in the workforce.

Man your stations.

Jump your man in checkers.

Man made.

Man made global warming.

A two man submarine, aircraft.

A man eating shark.

Manhole cover.

Straw man.

The black man being discriminated against.

The white man is an oppressor...eh, that one can stand.

Man we got a serious problem here...pun intended.

What about snowman?  This is serious. Kids should either be encouraged in our schools to build snowwomen or simply rename the snowman "snowtranny" because you can't tell the gender of it anyway.

Holy shit the boogeyman!! The boogeytranny it is!... because they're freaks anyway.

Wonder what solution do libs have for "wingman" or "foreman" or "doorman" or "corpsman" ....holy **** females in the Air Force are still referred to as Airmen, my god is the Air Force backwards and outdated.

Fortunate the "milkman" doesn't exist anymore. Libs are off the hook with that one.
(09-20-2015, 11:09 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Because there are people who think that it is unacceptable that "they" refers to a singular, despite being used like that for centuries. 

Oh. Well then "he or she" would be appropriate, I guess.
LFG  

(09-20-2015, 11:27 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Is this better?

If any student wants their picture taken, they should dress appropriately, unless they have a note from their mother or father.

What sentence are you suggesting?

Language mechanics is like most other things: folks will debate it endlessly. Student is also singular. Change any student to students. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-20-2015, 11:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Language mechanics is like most other things: folks will debate it endlessly. Student is also singular. Change any student to students. 

So what sentence would you suggest?
LFG  

(09-20-2015, 09:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: FROSH
[Image: PCU1.jpg]

Love that movie.

Those aren't women tom..... Those are womenists
So I guess Human is not recommended to be used any longer. Guess we can use HuPerson
(09-20-2015, 07:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/20/university-north-carolina-chapel-hills-writing-guide-discourages-use-word-man

Lol why would anyone send their kids to theae schools?

Probably to learn when to use "your" and "you're".

My bad. Most learn that in second grade.

Most. Present company excepted.
(09-21-2015, 12:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Probably to learn when to use "your" and "you're".

My bad. Most learn that in second grade.

Most. Present company excepted.

No one even bit on the "theae" typo.
Bravo all !
(09-21-2015, 12:11 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: No one even bit on the "theae" typo.
Bravo all !

Haha breech just has a hard on for me. I'm used to his single white female approach.
(09-21-2015, 12:11 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: No one even bit on the "theae" typo.
Bravo all !

Surprising his autocorrect didn't autocorrect that mistake like he claims happens with your.
(09-21-2015, 01:09 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: So what sentence would you suggest?

If I'm writing a formal document I use "his or her" even though the rules of English say a general singular person should be referred to as masculine.  The easiest way to get around this is to minimize the amount of times you have to refer to the person in those specific terms.  I would make your example of this:

If any student wants their picture taken, they should dress appropriately, unless they have a note from their mother or father.

into this:

Students wanting a picture taken should dress appropriately, though exceptions may be made with required notes from parents or guardians.

Unfortunately, if you word things in convoluted ways to get around using him/her you sound like a pretentious d-bag.
(09-20-2015, 09:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If the gender is known then the proper associated pronoun should be used. If the gender is unknown then the masculine form should be allowed. It is grammar. But alas to be PC we have to write sentences such as:

If anyone wants his or her picture taken, he or she should dress appropriately, unless he or she has a note from his or her mother or father.

Which school allows students to dress inappropriately with parental permission?