Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
we were a top 5 offense last season before eifert went down
(08-31-2019, 09:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's a decent chance that atleast some of the coaches are downgrades to Marvin and Co.

Taylor seems to be copying the Rams playbook on offense...except we don't have their line and players. We'll see how that works out.

He was a bad OC at UC. He was the assistant WR coach, then QB Coach with the Rams. He was mediocre with the Dolphins. Yet people are so sure he's a much better coach than Marvin.

We see it here EVERY year. Irrational optimism.

I think ZT is a good choice to move the Bengals into the modern NFL while Marvin was just a comfortable relic from a bygone era.  I do think we are buying in so early on the guy that he's going to have some growing pains and learn on the job.  Sooooo he can be better than Marvin but I'm not entirely sold on the notion that our prime-time, playoff, and Steelers-related woes all went out the door with ol' Marv.

An issue with this coaching staff isn't ZT but the fact that unlike other young offensive HCs he doesn't have high profile coaches watching the defense for him, or the o-line and so on.  It wouldn't floor me if we spend the off-season after the 2019 season lamenting how (insert coach here) was so bad that no one could have succeeded.  Zampese, Lazor, Marvin, Paul Alexander (ok, hard to argue this one), and Haslett have all been cited as "season-killingly bad" coaches...hard to believe we don't have one of those kinds on the coaching staff right now.

Callahan, Turner and especially Sweet Lou are all candidates for being scapegoats if 2019 goes belly up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Steelers fanbase isn't happy unless they win a SB. The bar is high.

Here, winning a playoff game is viewed as some miraculous achievement that other teams don't do.

Literally EVERY Team in the NFL has won a playoff game since we last have and all but like 3-4 have won 5+.

Got it but there still not happy with Tomlin which was the whole freaking point of the post.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:00 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Got it but there still not happy with Tomlin which was the whole freaking point of the post.

Because they literally think the Steelers should win a SB EVERY year. Big difference between that and the low bar we have here where you go 0-7 in the playoffs as a coach and get 3 more years.

That doesn't happen in the NFL. Most teams give a coach 3-4-5 years then make a change.

Here you get a decade and a half then they make a change.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Steelers fanbase isn't happy unless they win a SB. The bar is high.

Here, winning a playoff game is viewed as some miraculous achievement that other teams don't do.

Literally EVERY Team in the NFL has won a playoff game since we last have and all but like 3-4 have won 5+.

We also see a Steelers' first round loss as a failure year for them and we see that as an acceptable season for us.  The Steelers made the playoffs in 2016 and lost to the Ravens and we yucked it up.  They lost in the second round to the Jaguags the year after that and we had quite the laugh at them.  It's all about perspective, I guess.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We also see a Steelers' first round loss as a failure year for them and we see that as an acceptable season for us.  The Steelers made the playoffs in 2016 and lost to the Ravens and we yucked it up.  They lost in the second round to the Jaguags the year after that and we had quite the laugh at them.  It's all about perspective, I guess.  

Honestly, if people didn't do stuff like that, the Bengals would have no fans I suppose.

There's also a general thought on the forum that the Steelers are worried about the Bengals. Couldn't be farther from the truth. The Steelers have owned us.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:00 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Got it but there still not happy with Tomlin which was the whole freaking point of the post.

Ehh, I can see some of the criticisms of Tomlin, but the main knock against him is that he "won the SB with Cowher's players."  Tomlin and Marvin were actually pretty comparably successful as far as their franchise expectations go so I can see why they want Tomlin out.  Look at how hyped we are over changing coaches...I bet when they move on from Tomlin they're going to point out how his gaudy and great regular season record doesn't matter as much as his struggles in the big games (and games against lousy teams) and that those woes will be gone as soon as a new guy puts on the headset.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, I can see some of the criticisms of Tomlin, but the main knock against him is that he "won the SB with Cowher's players."  Tomlin and Marvin were actually pretty comparably successful as far as their franchise expectations go so I can see why they want Tomlin out.  Look at how hyped we are over changing coaches...I bet when they move on from Tomlin they're going to point out how his gaudy and great regular season record doesn't matter as much as his struggles in the big games (and games against lousy teams) and that those woes will be gone as soon as a new guy puts on the headset.

Except Tomlin just got extended. I'd trust the Steelers management over the Bengals any day.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, if people didn't do stuff like that, the Bengals would have no fans I suppose.

There's also a general thought on the forum that the Steelers are worried about the Bengals. Couldn't be farther from the truth. The Steelers have owned us.

I mean, it's just fan-speak but I was in the stands of a Bengals @ Steelers game in december of 2013 and I remember a guy saying "Let the Bengals make the playoffs, they're not going to do anything."  Ouch, the guy was right and he was right after only 2 losses into our 5 year streak.  It would have been nice if the Bengals would have made that guy and his ilk eat their words but, not so.
Reply/Quote
Tomlin is 125-66-1 which is a 65.4% winning percentage as the Steelers coach during the regular season.

8-7 in the playoffs. 8 playoff wins!!!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Tomlin is 125-66-1 which is a 65.4% winning percentage as the Steelers coach during the regular season.

8-7 in the playoffs. 8 playoff wins!!!

And the fan base still hates him because he's been there ten years. 
I know Marvin never won a playoff game here but the fact his he has been the greatest coach the Bengals have ever had under Mike Brown and it's not close. Fans should appreciate him more around here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ya know, you say some really crazy stuff...

I don't have dentures but my teeth still fell out of my mouth when I read that.
Reply/Quote
Anymore I'm just about of the opinion that any team could have a roll of wet toilet paper named as the head coach and still have the same win/loss record. I guess the real difference would be the brand of toilet paper. Charmin or Family Dollar brand? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:26 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: And the fan base still hates him because he's been there ten years. 
I know Marvin never won a playoff game here but the fact his he has been the greatest coach the Bengals have ever had under Mike Brown and it's not close. Fans should appreciate him more around here.

MB has also been the best GM since MB became owner. Fans should celebrate that too!
Reply/Quote
Here is my problem with what I have seen. It doesn’t matter how creative this offense will be, the line apparently cannot run block. They have done well in pass pro but this is supposed to be a play action team and that requires a run game. Vanilla or not they got beat up and down. Not many lanes and too often with defenders in the backfield.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 11:14 PM)grampahol Wrote: Anymore I'm just about of the opinion that any team could have a roll of wet toilet paper named as the head coach and still have the same win/loss record. I guess the real difference would be the brand of toilet paper. Charmin or Family Dollar brand? 

The only way I believe there is a conspiracy theory to keep the Bengals down is if Mike Brown is in on it and/or the NFL has threatened or coerced him to never ever ever hire a real GM.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 11:23 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Here is my problem with what I have seen. It doesn’t matter how creative this offense will be, the line apparently cannot run block. They have done well in pass pro but this is supposed to be a play action team and that requires a run game. Vanilla or not they got beat up and down. Not many lanes and too often with defenders in the backfield.

Mixon had 1 carry Gio  had 5 i think.  Mixon is a top 5 back you don't think that will help?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 11:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The only way I believe there is a conspiracy theory to keep the Bengals down is if Mike Brown is in on it and/or the NFL has threatened or coerced him to never ever ever hire a real GM.

The defacto GM is Duke Tobin. He turned down interviews for other GM jobs. so he either never wants to be a GM or he is the defacto GM here.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 11:35 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The defacto GM is Duke Tobin. He turned down interviews for other GM jobs. so he either never wants to be a GM or he is the defacto GM here.

Ah, so he's the kind of guy who does a job but lets his boss have the title and a sizable bonus for it...I think we have a word for those types.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 11:32 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Mixon had 1 carry Gio  had 5 i think.  Mixon is a top 5 back you don't think that will help?

He will help for sure. Just afraid he is gonna have ti make people miss behind the line all season.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 11:35 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The defacto GM is Duke Tobin. He turned down interviews for other GM jobs. so he either never wants to be a GM or he is the defacto GM here.

Why would he leave here? There's basically 0 accountability for poor performance. He goes somewhere else and has 3-4 drafts like he's had here...he's fired.
Reply/Quote