Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weaknesses heading into season
ill go with 5.

1 no true run stuffer behind Reader lack of depth a serious concern.
2 Bobby Hart their are worse starting RT out there but not many.
3 An unproven number 2 corner. Phillips may be up to the task but we will have to wait and see
4 many key contributors have missed significant time in camp might affect chemistry early on
5 Taylor has only won 2 games he must prove he can win with talent
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 11:28 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: ill go with 5.

1 no true run stuffer behind Reader lack of depth a serious concern.
2  Bobby Hart their are worse starting RT out there but not many.
3 An unproven number 2 corner. Phillips may be up to the task but we will have to wait and see
4 many key contributors have missed significant time in camp might affect chemistry early on
5 Taylor has only won 2 games he must prove he can win with talent

Agree with #1, but glad we have more pass rushers that can play inside:  Brown, Daniels, and Geno.  Defending the run is important, but I think Reader is a huge addition to that point and the improvement at LB will also pay huge dividends here. 

#3 is probably the greatest concern for me.  Do I think Phillips can at least be Dre K?  Yes.  Can he be an improvement?  That is what I am hoping for...at least there is some competition behind him.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To stay with your theme of 5:

1.) Inexperience at LT. Though I think he is everything we hoped for, he hasn't played an NFL snap and won't until the first game.
2.) The health of Ross and Green. I said before that if both were healthy all 16 games, the Bengals would make the playoffs. They haven't even been able to make it out of camp. Hoping they are just being overly cautious, but I worry a lot about Green's hamstring, and whatever Ross did to his arm.
3.) Depth in the secondary: The OP narrowed it down to the #2 CB, but I also worry about safety depth behind Bell and Bates. Williams has already been injured and do we have a safety like Bates on the roster?
4.) Joe Mixon's contract. I understand all the others, but this one should get done. I don't want to say these migraines are related, or phony, but it is becoming an issue when there shouldn't be one. Burrow needs a good rushing attack from Day 1. Get Mixon signed.
5.) Fat Randy. Simply, not a fan.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To stay with your theme of 5:

1.) Inexperience at LT.  Though I think he is everything we hoped for, he hasn't played an NFL snap and won't until the first game.
2.) The health of Ross and Green.  I said before that if both were healthy all 16 games, the Bengals would make the playoffs.  They haven't even been able to make it out of camp.  Hoping they are just being overly cautious, but I worry a lot about Green's hamstring, and whatever Ross did to his arm.
3.) Depth in the secondary:  The OP narrowed it down to the #2 CB, but I also worry about safety depth behind Bell and Bates.  Williams has already been injured and do we have a safety like Bates on the roster?
4.) Joe Mixon's contract.  I understand all the others, but this one should get done.  I don't want to say these migraines are related, or phony, but it is becoming an issue when there shouldn't be one.  Burrow needs a good rushing attack from Day 1.  Get Mixon signed.  
5.) Fat Randy.  Simply, not a fan.
that was honorable 6th on my list. I don't trust him in the clutch. If he costs us a couple of games hope he is shown the door.
Reply/Quote
Rookie QB...
Reply/Quote
Randy's biggest issue is length not accuracy.

1) Is OL better than mediocre?
2) Talented rookie QB with zero game experience and limited practice with 1/2 the receiver corps
3) brand new defense. Have they fixed their "can't stop a TE" problem; how well have they gelled; young LB corps
4) Zac playcalling...will he improve over last year?
5) with no game practice have they learned to tackle

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
On paper, we got better at every position group. The question is "How much better?" We can't know until the season begins.

Bynes, Reader, Daniels, Bell, and Alexander are all experienced players. The rest of the "upgrades" are unproven. We'll have to see. ThumbsUp
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
The biggest concerns right now
1.) Right side of the offensive line
2.) LB core
3.)Back up QB
4.) CB depth
5.) No backup for Lawson
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To stay with your theme of 5:

1.) Inexperience at LT.  Though I think he is everything we hoped for, he hasn't played an NFL snap and won't until the first game.
2.) The health of Ross and Green.  I said before that if both were healthy all 16 games, the Bengals would make the playoffs.  They haven't even been able to make it out of camp.  Hoping they are just being overly cautious, but I worry a lot about Green's hamstring, and whatever Ross did to his arm.
3.) Depth in the secondary:  The OP narrowed it down to the #2 CB, but I also worry about safety depth behind Bell and Bates.  Williams has already been injured and do we have a safety like Bates on the roster?
4.) Joe Mixon's contract.  I understand all the others, but this one should get done.  I don't want to say these migraines are related, or phony, but it is becoming an issue when there shouldn't be one.  Burrow needs a good rushing attack from Day 1.  Get Mixon signed.  
5.) Fat Randy.  Simply, not a fan.

In regards to #1:

If I'm the DC for the opposing team and I want to rattle the rookie QB I try going through the rookie LT. I know he's not really a rookie but you know what I mean.
Reply/Quote
Still think it’s linebacker. Pratt ,Wilson and Davis- Gaither have little to no experience and could end up like every other linebacker we’ve drafted in rounds 3-4 over the years. I liked the Bynes signing to add experience to this group however the hype on him is a little much. Bynes is basically a career journey man I don’t expect him to do much.
Reply/Quote
QB Depth (Finley is horrible)
RT
CB Depth

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I think Oline depth in general is a massive concern. If Jonah Williams has any set backs or is going through rookie struggles, we basically have no one to play LT, other than Fred Johnson who the coaches do not believe can replace Bobby Hart. He played admirably at LT in 2 games last year, so there's a chance LT wouldn't be an absolute trainwreck if something happens to Williams, but it is not a strength by any means.

I think CB depth is a major concern as well. Waynes being out hurts a ton and apparently Alexander has not been great in practice. Hopefully, Phillips steps up.

I think DT depth is still a concern, but may not be as big as it was before the recent signings. Our starting 2 are great and we have at least 1 solid back up for each position as well, as well as players like Hubbard flexing inside on passing downs.
EDIT: Forgot Tupou opted out. So, yea we don't have a good backup for Reader. Let's hope he stays healthy!

I think LB experience is going to be something that is going to show poorly, especially early on. Our rookie LBs have a lot of promise, but so much of LB play is instincts and reading offenses and you can't expect them to pick that up immediately.

Inexperience at QB is also a concern, but with the way Joe has handled the off season and based on interviews he's had and seeing how his teammates are reacting to him, I'm less worried about his acclimation to the NFL as I am the other players I mention above. We're all hoping that Joe is as advertised and he comes in and is immediately a pro bowl level QB, but I'm tempering my expectations here. I expect to see rookie struggles.

If things go well, this team has everything it needs to compete for the playoffs. But a lot of uncertainty and depth issues could create chaos if inopportune injuries or significant rookie struggles occur that could very quickly destroy our season.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 12:11 PM)pally Wrote: Randy's biggest issue is length not accuracy.

That's what she said?  Nervous

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
No accomolished vet behind Burrow. If he goes down its a automatic loss in.the games he misses

Youth at LB.
Reply/Quote
1. Coaching.I was impressed with the way the coaches fixed the running game mid season last year, but I still have serious concerns about the defensive coaching.

2. OGs. Su'a-Filo is a back up who we signed for less money than Miller got in free agency. Everyone talks about Jordans' improvement and potential, but I never really saw anything impressive about his play. Not saying I don't like his potential. Just saying it is still a big question mark at thistime.

3. CB. Waynes is out. Alexander is looking at a suspension. #3 CB is basically a starter and I don't see a good one on our roster right now.

4. Tackling, One of worst tackling teams I have ever seen coming off an entire training camp/preseason with no real live tackling.

5. Tackling. See #4
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Coaching.I was impressed with the way the coaches fixed the running game mid season last year, but I still have serious concerns about the defensive coaching.

2.  OGs.  Su'a-Filo is a back up who we signed for less money than Miller got in free agency.  Everyone talks about Jordans' improvement and potential, but I never really saw anything impressive about his play.  Not saying I don't like his potential.  Just saying it is still a big question mark at thistime.

3.  CB.  Waynes is out.  Alexander is looking at a suspension.  #3 CB is basically a starter and I don't see a good one on our roster right now.

4.  Tackling,  One of worst tackling teams I have ever seen coming off an entire training camp/preseason with no real live tackling.

5.  Tackling.  See #4
Son of a b***h!!!! I agree with Fred! It must be the covid I had. You hit it spot on sir.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 01:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's what she said?  Nervous

Naw, she said length is not as important as girth, and they don't call him "Fat Randy" for nothing.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 12:25 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: On paper, we got better at every position group. The question is "How much better?" We can't know until the season begins.

Bynes, Reader, Daniels, Bell, and Alexander are all experienced players. The rest of the "upgrades" are unproven. We'll have to see. ThumbsUp

I wonder if people realize the impact of your statement here.  True, it will be interesting to gauge how much better, but as you said:  "better at every position group".  

Does anyone think the Texans are better after losing DeAndre Hopkins?

What about the Chief's best interior lineman sitting the year out?  

The Patriots?

This season could be more interesting than everyone thinks, as it relates to the Bengals being a potential contender.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 12:38 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Still think it’s linebacker. Pratt ,Wilson and Davis- Gaither have little to no experience and could end up like every other linebacker we’ve drafted in rounds  3-4 over the years.  I liked the Bynes signing to add experience to this group however the hype on him is a little much. Bynes is basically a career journey man I don’t expect him to do much.

Pratt elevated his play once inserted in the lineup full time last season.  He really has looked good this year in camp.  The video I posted showed him knocking away a (good) pass to a TE while running full stride.  

I hear ya, though...lots of inexperience, but at least the inexperienced group has some athleticism.  
Reply/Quote
If I had to bottom line this thread, it would be...

Weakness--everything.

Strength--nothing.

We're all set.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote