Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
westerns fans??
I love westerns. Probably my second favorite genre after crime.

I highly recommend The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford if you’re looking for a great “modern” western.

As far as older stuff, I love spaghetti westerns. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and Once Upon a Time in the West are a couple of my favorite films ever.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 07:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I love westerns. Probably my second favorite genre after crime.

I highly recommend The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford if you’re looking for a great “modern” western.

As far as older stuff, I love spaghetti westerns. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and Once Upon a Time in the West are a couple of my favorite films ever.

Once Upon a Time in the West is def a classic.

I will have to check o ut the assassination of jesse james though.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
the reason me and my woman love watching old westerns is cause it was a time when things was clearer. Were men were men and women were women. just a lot easier time then and wetserns really capture that and i wish we could go back to those times sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 09:31 AM)magikod Wrote: I will have to check o ut the assassination of jesse james though.

It’s on the lengthier side at 2 hrs 40 mins, and is also a bit of a slow burn, but it really is excellent. Great performances from Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck, gorgeous cinematography by Roger Deakins, and it also has a really good score.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 03:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s on the lengthier side at 2 hrs 40 mins, and is also a bit of a slow burn, but it really is excellent. Great performances from Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck, gorgeous cinematography by Roger Deakins, and it also has a really good score.

I just got around to watching it from reading your posts about it. That movie's great! Some of those scenes stir up legitimate anxiety. I'd seen clips of it in a fan made YouTube video for a Colter Wall song, but I never knew what it was... But yeah; that movie is dope!

Also... If you don't know about Colter Wall, you should check him out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 12:32 AM)jason Wrote: I just got around to watching it from reading your posts about it. That movie's great! Some of those scenes stir up legitimate anxiety. I'd seen clips of it in a fan made YouTube video for a Colter Wall song, but I never knew what it was... But yeah; that movie is dope!

Also... If you don't know about Colter Wall, you should check him out.

He’s got a song in Hell or High Water. Another great movie if you haven’t seen it.

Reply/Quote
Hey fred, "The Outlaw Josey WALES" is one of my top 3 favorite movies. And I'm still pissed Val Kilmer didn't win anything for his job in Tombstone. That was an epic acting performance.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2020, 04:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Unforgiven" is one of the best movies (not just western) ever.  People who don't even like westerns will like "Unforgiven".  I hate to sound like some cliched movie critic (I hate most of them), but Eastwood's performance is haunting.  And the story and the characters and the supporting actors are all great.

"The Outlaw Josey Wells", "True Grit" (I actually like both versions), and "The Cowboys" are some of my favorites off the top of my head.  I am sure I will think of other later.

"The Searchers" is often cited as the greatest western ever.  It is a dark movie that deals a directly with the white mans abuse of the natives.  John Wayne is great as a "hero" who is not always a "good guy".

If you like old movie stars and have three hours to kill check out "How the West Was Won".  I believe it has every movie star alive in the 1960's.

Late to the party, but I don't get the love for Unforgiven.  I found it boring.  Then again I didn't like Dances With Wolves much either.  Now Josey Wales on the other hand was fantastic.  For Kevin Costner I loved Silverado, and I really liked Open Range.  People kept trying to give him ultimatums in Open Range, and he'd just start shooting them.

El Dorado is very good, and John Wayne made another that was very similar that wasn't as good.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly was great.  Lonesome Dove.  I don't believe I ever saw the old True Grit, but i liked the new one.  

Support Your Local Sheriff was a good one for some comedy.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I’m with Fred on Unforgiven. It’s an absolute masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/cAYVS8aRQ1U

Reply/Quote
I'm teaching a buddy of mine how to home brew and during the 3 to 5 hours of brewing, there's lots of down time and he turned me onto these YouTube channels with many levels of Western movies. A few top notch movies and a TON of B, C and D listed movies and a few failed TV pilots.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyJYCQ6WaEMhdZAuPo799bA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0stTNgtDEOo_i00XoJpHPA

Although my favorite is probably not even considered a good Western but I always enjoyed watching Silverado. 

Here's a couple of classics

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Some not mentioned:

The Hateful 8
The Pale Rider
The Quick and The Dead
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
El Dorado with John Wayne and James Caan is one of my favorite westerns.

Also love Bonanza. What is that one movie with Dean Martin and John Wayne? Great movie. Something Bravo...?

Another great western.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 10:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Some not mentioned:

The Hateful 8
The Pale Rider
The Quick and The Dead

The hateful 8 is rough dude. That grossed me out when SLJ had the guy blow him.... Sick
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 07:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I love westerns. Probably my second favorite genre after crime.

My name is nobody. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 10:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: El Dorado with John Wayne and James Caan is one of my favorite westerns.

Also love Bonanza. What is that one movie with Dean Martin and John Wayne? Great movie. Something Bravo...?

Another great western.

Rio Bravo. Probably John Wayne’s second best after The Searchers.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 10:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Some not mentioned:

The Hateful 8
The Pale Rider
The Quick and The Dead

Good flick.  Totally forgot about it.  Thanks dude, now I'm gonna' watch it again!   ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 11:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rio Bravo. Probably John Wayne’s second best after The Searchers.

Yeah, love that show, that and El Dorado are probably my two faves.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 10:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: El Dorado with John Wayne and James Caan is one of my favorite westerns.

Another great western.

Rio Bravo.  El Dorado is very similar, but I think better.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2020, 10:47 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Rio Bravo.  El Dorado is very similar, but I think better.

Yes, those are probably my two faves but El Dorado is definitely my all time favorite.
Reply/Quote
Shane.

I had plans to see the Tetons this summer, but things didn’t work.
Reply/Quote