Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
who is out there to pick up at WR
(07-01-2015, 06:19 PM)Tim_B Wrote: I personally think Moore is better than Sanu.

I agree. Sanu at his best is a homeless man's version of Marcus Colston, and is a slow footed possession receiver. Who also has poor hands. In other words, Sanu is a replaceable talent.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 05:49 PM)Tim_B Wrote: You do know that Moore is only 26 right? He's the same age as Green. I don't think it has anything to do with having something left in the tank.

Yes but Sanu was drafted by the Bengals...so he's better. Duh.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Seems I heard somewhere Danarius wasn't exactly lighting it up so far. Early though
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I read Hobson’s comments where he said the Bengals need another WR, here’s how I interpret what he said:

From watching the OTAs, after the “big 3” WRs, Tate looked decent and the rest looked worse than him.  Wright didn’t practice.  So, based on the OTAs, I think Hobson is envisioning the WR roster as Green, Jones, Sanu, Tate, Wright plus a waiver-wire pickup.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
We could be in the market for a receiver. I'd wait til final cuts. We'll see come preseason what we have. It's not inconceivable we have nothing outside of the big 3. I think we found that out last year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
http://bigtimefootball.com/bengals-wrs-among-slowest-in-nfl-based-on-40-times/

2nd slowest in the NFL. We could use a WR that stretches the field more.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 11:08 PM)EatonFan Wrote: http://bigtimefootball.com/bengals-wrs-among-slowest-in-nfl-based-on-40-times/

2nd slowest in the NFL.  We could use a WR that stretches the field more.

Green could not run faster than 4.5 at the combine, but he does fine at stretching the field.  It isn't all about 40 time.

And since very few WRs run 4.35 at the combine I don't see how the entire Vikings WR corps could average less than 4.35.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 11:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Green could not run faster than 4.5 at the combine, but he does fine at stretching the field.  It isn't all about 40 time.

And since very few WRs run 4.35 at the combine I don't see how the entire Vikings WR corps could average less than 4.35.

I did some digging, and it said that it only takes their top 4 WRs into account, and it's only speculation who their top 4 receivers will be.

"We’ll take a look at the top four receivers for each team, according to Ourlads’ depth chart information (which is sometimes off, but represents the best, decently objective and standardized information we have). For those receivers, we’ll find their 40 times and compare them across their peers nationally.

Initially, it looks like the Vikings have a good shot. The slowest receiver among the six most likely to make the roster is Adam Thielen, who ran a 4.45 40-yard dash"

http://vikingsjournal.com/_/minnesota-vikings-news/minnesota-vikings/do-the-minnesota-vikings-have-the-fastest-receiver-corps-in-the-country-r593
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Dane Sanzenbacher or Cobi Hamilton.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 12:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Second response before Chad? You're slipping guys.

And what am I missing? I thought Jones was having a solid camp and was healthy? We've got AJ, Sanu should be a little more reliable with a smaller role. We've got a few guys who are untested after that, but a WR has to step up every season. And then there's the TEs which, hopefully, will be a little better for a passing option this season.

Yeah. I don't know what they're smoking over at CincyJungle but, barring injury, i don't see a need for more wideouts. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 05:49 PM)Tim_B Wrote: You do know that Moore is only 26 right? He's the same age as Green. I don't think it has anything to do with having something left in the tank.

Yep completely aware of his age. It was a nicer way of saying he has not really lit it up so let's see if he can show anything while he is here.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 11:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Green could not run faster than 4.5 at the combine, but he does fine at stretching the field.  It isn't all about 40 time.

Granted it isn't ALL about 40 time, but it does figure in especially when you'd like to see that '2nd gear' to make a catch.  I'd like to see a speed burner who can catch if nothing else than to make that safety take one step back.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 08:17 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Granted it isn't ALL about 40 time, but it does figure in especially when you'd like to see that '2nd gear' to make a catch.  I'd like to see a speed burner who can catch if nothing else than to make that safety take one step back.

Usually, it's about acceleration after making a move.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 08:17 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Granted it isn't ALL about 40 time, but it does figure in especially when you'd like to see that '2nd gear' to make a catch.  I'd like to see a speed burner who can catch if nothing else than to make that safety take one step back.

Before i go into my little speech I need to say that I agree that we lacked a true deep threat last year other than Green and it really hurt us.

But when it comes to deep threats "top speed" is more important than "40 time".  Many times smaller WRs will have quicker 40 times than the longer taller guys, but it is just because the smaller guys get off to a quicker start.  Since the race between DB and WR doesn't begin from a dead stop it doesn't matter who has the quickest first two steps.  What matters is who has the best "top speed".  Two guys can run the same 40 time, but one of them could be running much faster than the other at the finish line. Neither Chris Henry nor A J Green could run faster than 4.5 at the combine, but they both had elite top end speed.

At the combine they measure "top speed" in the forty yard dash, but I have never been able to see it listed anywhere.  To me this is much more important information than just the "elapsed time".  With other players (especially RBs) the fast start is more important than the elapsed forty time, but luckily they have started listing the "ten yard split" from the forty yard dash at the combine.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 06:19 PM)Tim_B Wrote: I personally think Moore is better than Sanu.

Aren't they completely different WRs though?  I'd wager the biggest thing they have in common is a tendency to completely wilt when pressed into a more active role in the passing game.  That and drops, perhaps.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 04:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is something foreboding about a guy who was benched and cut by the Raiders.  Maybe it's different, but the Steelers seemed to try something eerily similar with Darius Heyward-Bey with less than sexy results.

Big difference, DHB never had any real strong years.  Moore was actually pretty good in Oakland for awhile.  He's an upgrade for us.

If Alford can win the 6th WR spot with his play, that would be an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 11:29 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Aren't they completely different WRs though?  I'd wager the biggest thing they have in common is a tendency to completely wilt when pressed into a more active role in the passing game.  That and drops, perhaps.

They definitely both have the dropsies... and they both like to dye their hair lol
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 04:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure I agree with Hob completely.

1) AJ Green
2) Marvin Jones - supposedly is looking outstanding and has not seemed to have missed a beat.
3) Mohamed Sanu - What a physical presence we could have in the slot it Jones can stay healthy.
4) James Wright - I am really excited to see this kid. He was really coming on strong prior to his injury. We could have found a real gem with this kid.
5) Denarius Moore - not a bad guy to have coming off the bench. See if he has anything left in the tank.
6) Mario Alford - While he may not see the field a lot he is a guy that could add a real spark at certain times.
7) Jake Kumerow - there were many very good reports on this small school kid around draft time. Has outstanding size. If he has the talent to match then we may have found a keeper.

Not sure what is out there and if there is something worthwhile they may bring a vet or two to camp. However, if we do I just hope some of the youngsters get a large number of reps as well.
He's 26... Why would his tank be empty?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 05:48 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Yep completely aware of his age. It was a nicer way of saying he has not really lit it up so let's see if he can show anything while he is here.

He's been more productive than all but one Bengals WR. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 09:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Usually, it's about acceleration after making a move.

I agree! It's about knowing when to use your speed and brains for separation.
Reply/Quote