Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
who wants a true Fullback?
I do, I miss the physicality of this position being on the field and providing that thumper mentality. The niners and ravens have some good ones.
So whos the next Mike Allstot?
Reply/Quote
I don't care for one. The Niners and Ravens are very run heavy teams. It makes sense that they carry a FB. Cincinnati is one of the heaviest passing teams in the league. They are better suited to fit their personnel to that identity as that has guided them to two straight AFCCG berths. The only thing they need out of the running game is league average production and a FB won't be used enough to effect that in any meaningful way.
Reply/Quote
Me, vocally, every offseason, for the last 15 or whatever years we haven't had one. Lol

A 4th RB is basically useless. You almost never use them and they're probably not very good because they're your 4th RB. Would rather use that roster spot on a FB even if you don't use them extensively. Just make sure you grab one that can catch at least a little.

Not just the Ravens and 49ers. The Chiefs have had a FB both their SB years, and James Develin won 3 SBs with the Patriots.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I would, as I think that giving opposing defensive coordinators one more thing to plan for can't be said loudly enough. Maybe not a traditional Power-I style FB, but more of a dynamic H-Back FB/TE hybrid type of role, something that can contribute equally to the passing game as both a blocker or receiver, and a blocker and short yardage ball carrier in the rushing game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I've mentioned wanting one from time to time since we started seeing Burrow take hits his rookie year. If a FB can come in and provide some extra blocking then I say use the roster spot.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:52 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I've mentioned wanting one from time to time since we started seeing Burrow take hits his rookie year. If a FB can come in and provide some extra blocking then I say use the roster spot.

Here's the thing, you can't just roll a player in there and only use him for QB protection on pass plays, as it tips as to what is about to happen.  Any FB would have to be a dynamic player that is also capable of contributing offensively, and forcing the defense to account for him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the thing, you can't just roll a player in there and only use him for QB protection on pass plays, as it tips as to what is about to happen.  Any FB would have to be a dynamic player that is also capable of contributing offensively, and forcing the defense to account for him.

For sure, my take is a simplistic one.

I'd want the FB contributing to the run game and I assume special teams.
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't mind one but not sure Joe would want one even though LSU uses them frequently.

Just a guess though because believe Perine could be used in that capacity at times if Zac and Joe wanted one.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:24 AM)kalibengal Wrote: I do, I miss the physicality of this position being on the field and providing that thumper mentality. The niners and ravens have some good ones.

A DT will do fine
Reply/Quote
& give me a FB blocking for our '23 first round pick, Bijan Robinson. Then when teams stack the line to stop the running game, give me Burrow connecting with Chase for a deep ball.

Assuming the OL holds up.

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 12:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Wouldn't mind one but not sure Joe would want one even though LSU uses them frequently.

Just a guess though because believe Perine could be used in that capacity at times if Zac and Joe wanted one.

Perine isn't a FB. He's just a heavy RB. It's both technique and mindset. It's not just blitz pickup, because that's just reactive and you're able to give up ground. You need to go forward, proactively, and GET ground with your block in a collision where both of you are moving at each other. Most people aren't built for that mentally.

I like Joe and he's a great QB, but respectfully, who gives a shit if Joe wants one if it's what he needs? That's why you have coaches in the first place, to put their players into situations to succeed. People were also speculating that Joe didn't want people staying into block because he wanted everyone spread out wide. It wasn't what he needed, he needed to stay upright. Not even saying a FB is what he "needs", but I just hate how often I see that "Joe wants" speculation reasoning when it comes to personnel formations.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The old school full back position is gone but there's also a couple good H-Backs late every year. Brenton Strange is my guy this year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I certainly do. If we are gonna carry 4 TEs, and think one of them should be a FB/H-back/or hybrid FB/TE.

Josh Whyle of UC (hybrid) or Hunter Luepke on North Dakota State would be my preferences.

It is not gonna happen, though.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:24 AM)kalibengal Wrote: I do, I miss the physicality of this position being on the field and providing that thumper mentality. The niners and ravens have some good ones.

That's ALSTOTT.... gotta give the A Train due respect.

Word is everyone is saying Zeke has nothing left in the tank, but he is still one of the premiere blockers in the league playing RB. It'll never happen, but if Dallas cuts him, I wouldn't mind giving him a minimum deal just for his blocking and throw in some runs now and again. 
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with having a fullback as long as they can really run block, pass block, and catch some.
Or just have a TE who can do those things as TE2/3 and use them occasionally as a lead blocker in the backfield.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think coaches just don't like having one on the active 46 man roster for game-day. It's usually better to activate someone else at other positions for depth, special teams, and other roles.

The FB kind of needs to play a back-up TE role too and I guess it's just better to have a TE or someone else (Domata Peko!) play FB when needed.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would, as I think that giving opposing defensive coordinators one more thing to plan for can't be said loudly enough.  Maybe not a traditional Power-I style FB, but more of a dynamic H-Back FB/TE hybrid type of role, something that can contribute equally to the passing game as both a blocker or receiver, and a blocker and short yardage ball carrier in the rushing game.

Yup

He needs to be a swiss army knife kinda guy. Like you say not just the old school power I type.
Reply/Quote

Fullback?

Never heard of her. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Fullback is outdated.

I’d rather carry another speciality TE
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Drew Sample was halfway there as a versatile blocker. The problem with players like him as I see it is that if they show absolutely nothing as a pass catcher you may as well trot out a 6th offensive linemen.
Reply/Quote