Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
who wants a true Fullback?
(02-28-2023, 09:56 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Drew Sample was halfway there as a versatile blocker. The problem with players like him as I see it is that if they show absolutely nothing as a pass catcher you may as well trot out a 6th offensive linemen.

So recently maybe the past decade, a bunch of these super athletic TEs have entered the league.

I think the NFL is due for a FB/Tackle/TE type player build to come in. I think the Darnell guy in the draft could fit this. But just like pass catching TE's were insane when they first came out. I think the next evolution of what I predict will be considered just a tight end, is the tight end that is fast, strong and agile. Meaning a TE build that can CONSISTENTLY play FB/TE and o line. 

I know you guys are gonna be like WHAT??? NO athlete will EVER be able to play those 3 positions at such a high level. But there was a time where NO ONE thought a player would ever be able to block and run. And then these athletes came into existence that could do both and eventually the tight end position was born in its current installment.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Would love to run a FB in the wildcat in short yardage situations but I don't like taking Burrow off the field so instead I think we should be focusing on trying to find a good Slot / 3rd down RB hybrid type of guy. Plus I think Perine is already pretty decent in our role as a bruiser so it's not a huge need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Should we put a call into Ryan Hewitt?

Reply/Quote
I like a 6th OL. And Adeniji can move pretty well so if he isn't starting for us I think he is a good 6th. I also like multiple TE sets. And TEs who line up in the backfield.

For roster purposes I would rather scheme our lead blocks than create a new position and start using up roster spots.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:24 AM)kalibengal Wrote: I do, I miss the physicality of this position being on the field and providing that thumper mentality. The niners and ravens have some good ones.
So whos the next Mike Allstot?

That fat dude they put in motion all the time? No thanks.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would, as I think that giving opposing defensive coordinators one more thing to plan for can't be said loudly enough.  Maybe not a traditional Power-I style FB, but more of a dynamic H-Back FB/TE hybrid type of role, something that can contribute equally to the passing game as both a blocker or receiver, and a blocker and short yardage ball carrier in the rushing game.

Hard to disagree with Sunset here. 

One more thing to plan for is never a bad thing as long as he is versatile, I am down with a H-Back FB/TE.

It is true that we are a passing team with Burrow but I still think we need to work on our running game more than anything on 
Offense. Anything that helps should be considered. Fix the OL and adding a player like this would make the Offense unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
If this was a Gruden offense, sure.

It would be useless to have a FB on the disks in our system, thus this isn't a good idea.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I love the idea. There is no such thing as a good fullback who can't block, whereas the NFL is full of TEs who suck at it. I think about FBs the same as I think about RBs. You have to do at least two out of three of blocking, catching, and running. IMO a major reason for the loss of the FB in the NFL is because there are so few featured FBs in college. Every FB expects to play on STs, particularly in the protector spot on punts. The FB body type and athletic type is similar to a stacking LB, which is an undervalued athlete type in college and the NFL, which mean they should be possible to find. Lastly, almost every FB in the league has more combined snaps than the 4th RB or 3rd TE, so it's not a wasted spot.. You aren't spending a draft pick, so they're cheap.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely I would. Look how much we've struggled in short yardage rushing over the last couple of seasons. And if you really want to take a deep PA shot in a short yardage situation, it's virtually guaranteed going under center in 21 personnel with a true FB as the up back will leave either Tee or Chase in single coverage. And someone please refresh my memory, but weren't there some stats posted on here in the last year or so that showed Mixon's average with a lead blocker being considerably higher vs. alone in a single back set?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 12:28 AM)Housh Wrote: So recently maybe the past decade, a bunch of these super athletic TEs have entered the league.

I think the NFL is due for a FB/Tackle/TE type player build to come in. I think the Darnell guy in the draft could fit this. But just like pass catching TE's were insane when they first came out. I think the next evolution of what I predict will be considered just a tight end, is the tight end that is fast, strong and agile. Meaning a TE build that can CONSISTENTLY play FB/TE and o line. 

I know you guys are gonna be like WHAT??? NO athlete will EVER be able to play those 3 positions at such a high level. But there was a time where NO ONE thought a player would ever be able to block and run. And then these athletes came into existence that could do both and eventually the tight end position was born in its current installment.

When was that time? Bob Trumpy was playing 55 years ago, John Mackey was playing 60 years ago.

FB/OT/TE is just too many hats for one guy to wear as far as preparation more than ability. Too many meeting rooms you'd have to be apart of, too many plays to prep for. You'd have OL responsibilities and checks, all the TE responsibilities and checks, all of the route trees for catching passes, as well as being backfield protection/run gaps/blocking. 

Even if you could physically do it all, I just don't see how you could mentally prepare properly for all the positions every week. Most guys who dabble in other positions normally do the second one at a reduced capacity of responsibilities. You get a couple specialty plays/packages put in for you, and you don't have to learn the whole gameplan for that position each week.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2023, 11:49 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Absolutely I would.  Look how much we've struggled in short yardage rushing over the last couple of seasons.  And if you really want to take a deep PA shot in a short yardage situation, it's virtually guaranteed going under center in 21 personnel with a true FB as the up back will leave either Tee or Chase in single coverage.  And someone please refresh my memory, but weren't there some stats posted on here in the last year or so that showed Mixon's average with a lead blocker being considerably higher vs. alone in a single back set?

I did a quick search and I am unable to find anything. However, if this is indeed true, I wouldn't find any value in it. The Bengals utilize a lead blocker very sparingly, so it would likely be based off the fact that Mixon has limited carries in such a situation. The only thing that has any weight to it, as far as I am aware, is that all RBs (Mixon included) have higher averages when running from shotgun. 
Reply/Quote