Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why clinging to Geno?
So.. the obvious answer to why Geno is still here is simple.

They haven't signed anyone to replace him.

Several of our IDL guys from last season are FA's so we need the bodies at the moment.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 03:30 PM)pulses Wrote: Because the cap is going to increase in the years to come and it allows them to sign more players now and spread the wealth out later on while taking less in the 1at year.

But players don't want to take a lot less in year one unless more money is guaranteed.  And NFL teams don't like to guarantee contracts.
Reply/Quote
They keep Geno because he is comfortable and helps them get to the cap floor without doing anything extra. Geno is may favorite Bengal ever but they need to stop being lazy and move on with that money and bring in building blocks for future.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 05:34 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: They keep Geno because he is comfortable and helps them get to the cap floor without doing anything extra. Geno is may favorite Bengal ever but they need to stop being lazy and move on with that money and bring in building blocks for future.

The cap floor only applies across a 4-year average. That allows teams potentially to go 2-3 years under the floor and then spend big for 1-2 years once they are ready to compete. Since the Bengals have spent above the floor every year recently, they don't have to spend to the floor this season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I mean shit... Maybe he can play guard. I'm tired of all you inside the box thinkers. Y'all need to get up here on the level of the Browns, Blackburns, Taylors, and myself.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 02:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. If there was an NFL cut prediction machine, you could type in Geno's age, injuries and salary, and he'd be cut 98% of the time.

The Texans knew when to cut bait with JJ Watt, and as great as Geno has been, he's not JJ Watt.

He asked for his release...
Reply/Quote
Smile 
(03-17-2021, 10:00 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He asked for his release...
And that would be a good time to cut bait  Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 02:41 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I dont get it. Is MB having zoom meetings with Tobin and Lou replaying all of Genos great seasons (like 4 to 7 yrs ago?) and saying dont let him leave!  he can regain his elite playing level after ACL tears, shoulder issues ....yea right. Ar best he is a 3rd down rotational DT now. AT BEST. CLEAR THE CAP SPACE AND BRING IN SOME FRESH TALENT FOR GODSAKE! THIS SHIT JUST PISSES ME OFF ABOUT THIS TEAM.

Geno is a tough one.  Guy injured his shoulder in TC and needed surgery.  He put it off and gutted it out and did what he could during the season because we were screwed for bodies at DT.  If he knew we were going to cut him, he would have gone on IR and had the surgery so he'd be healed up for FA.  I mean, the cap dollars would be awesome, but we're doing the man extremely dirty if we cut him.
Reply/Quote
Out of respect for Geno and what he has done they should have cut him before money dries up. He likely can still contribute but contract is albatross. Simply can’t pay him that much. It’s a salary cap league. Overpays hurt. Last year AJ Geno and Carlos really hurt team with the cost of contracts without equal contribution. I’d love Geno to return for 7 mil. But no way for 14mil. Bengals did a decent job on CB’s by not overpaying WJIII but filling the position with decent players on fair contracts. For14 mil you can find better value for that money or cheaper who can give you the same performance.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 07:11 PM)jason Wrote: I mean shit... Maybe he can play guard. I'm tired of all you inside the box thinkers. Y'all need to get up here on the level of the Browns, Blackburns, Taylors, and myself.
You seem like a good guy. Why put yourself in that category. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
What do we need to clear cap space for? We're nowhere close to the cap. If you don't have a replacement, and you don't need salary cap room, I don't see the point.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 11:09 PM)Mobster Wrote: What do we need to clear cap space for? We're nowhere close to the cap. If you don't have a replacement, and you don't need salary cap room, I don't see the point.

You're correct.  I think some of it is paranoia based off of honoring full contracts to older vets.  Another issue is it would be helpful to Geno to cut him now to find a new team depending on when they want to cut him.  It's interesting that they haven't been proactive with talking to other DTs to replace him as well.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 10:48 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: You seem like a good guy. Why put yourself in that category. Hilarious

The view is beautiful up here my friend...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I would love for geno to come back and be good again next to reader. But even with the shoulder injury when I watched him last year he wasn't even trying.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind keeping Geno at a large salary cut to be a low snaps rotational guy. Keeping him on as a regular starter...NO
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 03:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Pro Bowls mean nothing anymore.  It's a name familarity contest.

He's been clearly declining for awhile, he's soon to be 33, and he was absolutely worthless last season.  Being a Pro Bowl starter doesn't change that

I agree with the above but in 2019 he was still #12 in Pass Rush Productivity with 53 defensive pressures (#10). He was still well above average and i think he's done enough in his career to see if he can have a bounce back year, though i'd prefer it be with a restructured contract.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 11:28 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I would love for geno to come back and be good again next to reader. But even with the shoulder injury when I watched him last year he wasn't even trying.

I don't know what's up with Geno. The guy literally hit a wall in production, and it was basically immediate. He started 2018 on fire, then faded when the offense fell apart due to injuries. He made the pro bowl in 2019, but didn't look like himself to me at all... Name recognition?

I will say this... I wrecked my shoulder this time last year. It'll make you look like you ain't tryin', and I wasn't trying to push 300 lb dudes around.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 07:11 PM)jason Wrote: I mean shit... Maybe he can play guard. I'm tired of all you inside the box thinkers. Y'all need to get up here on the level of the Browns, Blackburns, Taylors, and myself.

Nah. He can't play guard because he hasn't converted to TE yet. 

There's a well known Bengals sequence. DL--TE--OG--P. No one has completed the cycle yet. Harrington has come closest but i think Geno has it in him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 11:57 PM)jason Wrote: I don't know what's up with Geno. The guy literally hit a wall in production, and it was basically immediate. He started 2018 on fire, then faded when the offense fell apart due to injuries. He made the pro bowl in 2019, but didn't look like himself to me at all... Name recognition?

I will say this... I wrecked my shoulder this time last year. It'll make you look like you ain't tryin', and I wasn't trying to push 300 lb dudes around.
I just remember one play vividly,  a QB was running to his left and geno didn't even persue him he was barely jogging showing no effort to put pressure on. I remember shortly after that the coaches said players wasn't hustling. I think we still had burrow at this time too. 
Reply/Quote