Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
would no season mean we get number 1 pick again?
Due to covid. could we get a kings ransom for Lawrence? If we didn't get a reasonable offer bring him in for competition ala Aikman/Walsh with the Cowboys.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 12:21 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Due to covid. could we get a kings ransom for Lawrence? If we didn't get a reasonable offer bring him in for competition ala Aikman/Walsh with the Cowboys.

Sounds good to me, but I'd assume there would be no draft next year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
There will be a season FFS...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 12:23 PM)jason Wrote: Sounds good to me, but I'd assume there would be no draft next year.

you would have many JRs and SRs wanting to turn pro. so I dont see how their wouldn't be a draft.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 12:26 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: you would have many JRs and SRs wanting to turn pro. so I dont see how their wouldn't be a draft.

Want in one hand poop in the other.

Which one fills faster?
Reply/Quote
This very scenario was discussed awhile back, right when Covid first hit. I'll see if I can dig up the articles, but if my memory serves me correctly there were two possible proposals floated at the time and they were something like:

Proposal #1: The draft order would be determined by each team's overall record over the last 3 seasons. I think it had the Bengals picking like #3.

Proposal #2.: It would be a lottery system. Each team would get a corresponding amount of balls equal to their recent performance. Teams with no playoffs over the last 3 years, and no #1 picks, would get 3 balls. Teams with either only 1 appearance, OR only 1 #1 pick would get 2. And all other teams, with a combined total of 2, or greater would get 1 ball. Then throw all of those balls in and you would determine the draft order from there. Once a team ball is selected, any remaining balls wouldn't count if selected later.

I really have to wonder though if they could even have a draft though. If there's no NFL, then there's definitely no college football being played. So all of those kids would get an extra year of eligibility. How many of them are going to want to come out early, without a year to improve their stock? It would make for a very strange draft.
Reply/Quote
If there isn't a season in 2020 but there is a draft in 2021, I'd imagine there'd be some sort of lottery system implemented instead of normal draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It would be a crappy draft with next to zero underclassman.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 12:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This very scenario was discussed awhile back, right when Covid first hit.  I'll see if I can dig up the articles, but if my memory serves me correctly there were two possible proposals floated at the time and they were something like:  

Proposal #1: The draft order would be determined by each team's overall record over the last 3 seasons.  I think it had the Bengals picking like #3.

Proposal #2.: It would be a lottery system. Each team would get a corresponding amount of balls equal to their recent performance.  Teams with no playoffs over the last 3 years, and no #1 picks, would get 3 balls.  Teams with either only 1 appearance, OR only 1 #1 pick would get 2.  And all other teams, with a combined total of 2, or greater would get 1 ball.  Then throw all of those balls in and you would determine the draft order from there.  Once a team ball is selected, any remaining balls wouldn't count if selected later.

I really have to wonder though if they could even have a draft though.  If there's no NFL, then there's definitely no college football being played.  So all of those kids would get an extra year of eligibility.  How many of them are going to want to come out early, without a year to improve their stock?  It would make for a very strange draft.
I can just see it now.  Ten thousand balls in the hopper.  Steeler have one.  Do I need to go on?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I would guess they'd do some type lottery ? Worst dozen teams over last 2,3 years names get thrown in a hat and they draw straws for draft order and so on.
Reply/Quote
I already posed this question a while ago on another post.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 12:42 PM)motoarch Wrote: Want in one hand poop in the other.

Which one fills faster?

Especially with monkeys who want to poop in their hands so they can throw it. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 03:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Especially with monkeys who want to poop in their hands so they can throw it. 

I see what you did there.

Touche
Reply/Quote
I remember the convo but I think we were all just speculating. I'm sure they'd have some weighted lottery, but playing along with using the same order as last year my hopes would be:

1. Take the offer that breaks the bank and shatters the draft chart formula. A team like the Jags has two 1st's next year already and could make a hefty offer. Miami has the most go give, though it would sound insane to move on from Tua's upside. Just comes down to how high of regard the guy that most have been talking about for 2+ years now as the dude.

2. In theory,if everyone holds to the chart value my call is to Washington. I'd be thrilled to end up with LT Penei Sewell and RT Jonah Williams. Sewell is an amazing talent and fit (run and pass), Burrow with extra time is unfair to the league. Get some extra picks (Washington has two 3rds), hopefully above value but Sewell in stripes would be unreal.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 12:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I really have to wonder though if they could even have a draft though.  If there's no NFL, then there's definitely no college football being played.  So all of those kids would get an extra year of eligibility.  How many of them are going to want to come out early, without a year to improve their stock?  It would make for a very strange draft.

Most likely a very high percentage. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Even if there was no football played in 2020, we would still see the vast majority of talented underclassmen declare for the draft. Most are just biding their time in college until they can get paid, and with the typical NFL career only lasting a few years, they’ll realize they’re not getting any younger.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 12:42 PM)motoarch Wrote: Want in one hand poop in the other.

Which one fills faster?

Talking from experience, the poop hand will fill faster.   Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 08:11 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Even if there was no football played in 2020, we would still see the vast majority of talented underclassmen declare for the draft. Most are just biding their time in college until they can get paid, and with the typical NFL career only lasting a few years, they’ll realize they’re not getting any younger.

Rep.
Reply/Quote
The big question is how much a top QB like Lawrence will be worth next year because most teams looking for a QB got one in this years draft.
Reply/Quote
The draft is always a bigger crap shoot than any of the "experts" want to admit.  Even the best teams have high draft picks that bust, and there are always a handful of players taken in the later rounds that become really good players.

But a draft without playing a college season would be mostly guess work.

For example, where would Joe Burrow or Cam Newton have been drafted without their final year in college?
Reply/Quote