Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
zucchini relish
I just made some absolutely amazing zucchini relish. I mean it's out of this world good. I've canned green beans, bread and butter pickles and salsa for years. But I'm a noob at relish. I tried some end of garden relish last year and it was just so-so.

But this stuff, just WOW! It's a sweet relish kinda puts you in mind of bread n butter pickle taste.

I made some sweet pickles this year as well that are really good. Sorta like sweet gherkin taste.

Anyways,
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why you taunting us with something we can’t have lol.

Sounds really tasty!
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 11:51 AM)basballguy Wrote: Why you taunting us with something we can’t have lol.  

Sounds really tasty!

Oh that zucchini relish is the bomb
Reply/Quote
Recipe? I'm intrigued as I can't say I've heard of zucc relish before. And while my kids love making zucchini bread with all 500 of the fruits from that plant, I'd like to expand their horizons a bit! And I'm the one who has to make the bread and I'm tired of it...
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 06:30 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Recipe?  I'm intrigued as I can't say I've heard of zucc relish before.  And while my kids love making zucchini bread with all 500 of the fruits from that plant, I'd like to expand their horizons a bit!  And I'm the one who has to make the bread and I'm tired of it...

Yep

I like zucchini bread, but once I've had a couple slices, I'm done for a couple weeks. 

12 cups shredded (with a hand grater) zucchini. I always leave most of the green skin on. It's probably about 1 1/2 - 2 homegrown zucchini's. The little store bought ones would be a bunch.

3 cups chopped onions. (I used the little white ones in bulk bags) And I use an onion chopper thingy.

5 tablespoons canning salt

6 cups white sugar

2 1/2 cups white vinegar

1 red and 1 green bell pepper chopped. 

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed

3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 

3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1. place shredded zucchini and chopped onions in SS or plastic bowl and sprinkle in canning salt mixing well. Refrigerate overnight.

2. drain shredded zucchini in colander and squeeze out excess moisture.

3. place sugar, vinegar, red and green chopped pepper and cornstarch in large stainless-steel pot. (Has to be nonreactive pot) stir in seasoning and slowly add shredded zucchini and onion. Bring to light boil then simmer about 25 minutes. 

4. have 7 sterilized pint jars and lids/seals ready 

5. you'll need a large stock pot or pressure canner with boiling water. Water must cover tops of pint jars by an inch or so. You don't need to pressure can them. Just boiling water bath.

6. fill jars to about 1/2 inch from top (I always leave headspace) and remember to have a wet paper towel to clean any juice and zucchini shreds off of top of jar. Before placing on seals. I've also always been told don't Hercules tight lids on before going in bath, just snug.

7. place in pot or canner ensuring water level is over jars and process. Here's where you'll hear all kinds of different opinions on process time. I do my pint jars at full boil for 12-15 minutes. And of course you'll need a jar clamp thingy to get them out. Place on wooden cutting board or towel to cool and dry.

8. wait on the lids to "pop" 

And you'll run into a lot of opinions on how long to wait to enjoy. I usually wait 24 hours at minimum. You'll hear 3 days, a week, a month. I can't wait that long haha.

It is very good if you like sweet relish, pickles and so on.
Reply/Quote
Thanks! I'll give it a try before summer is over. Looking forward to it!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 10:59 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Thanks!  I'll give it a try before summer is over.  Looking forward to it!

I'm going to make at least one more batch, probably two. It makes like 7 pints. And I'm sure I'll give away at least that many LOL. Everybody that's tried it loves it!
Reply/Quote