Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
It's Draft Time: Impeachment Edition - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: It's Draft Time: Impeachment Edition (/Thread-It-s-Draft-Time-Impeachment-Edition)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 04:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Still sticking with that line, eh?

Yes, because it's a fact. 

If she felt she could not faithfully discharge the duties of her office she should have resigned.  You know like real professionals Attorney General Elliot L. Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William D. Ruckelshaus did in 1973.  You may have heard of the incident, a few people have brought it up of late.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - GMDino - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 05:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, because it's a fact. 

If she felt she could not faithfully discharge the duties of her office she should have resigned.  You know like real professionals Attorney General Elliot L. Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William D. Ruckelshaus did in 1973.  You may have heard of the incident, a few people have brought it up of late.

She did " faithfully discharge the duties of her office "

Quote:Ms Yates reminded Mr Cornyn that during her confirmation hearing under the Obama administration that she vowed, under oath, to tell the President if she was asked to do something she determined to be unlawful or “inconsistent with the principles of the Department of Justice.” 

And as the courts blocked the travel ban she did the right thing.

Carry on....

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 05:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: She did " faithfully discharge the duties of her office "

Incorrect, her job is to defend the government's position in court.  If she feels she cannot in good faith perform that function then she should resign.  Simply saying I refuse to do my job is insufficient.  Again, I gave an excellent examples of professionals with integrity doing exactly what she should have done.  Oddly enough you ignored that example.

Quote:And as the courts blocked the travel ban she did the right thing.

That has yet to be determined.  They certainly think they did the right thing and you obviously agree with them.  Yates, however, did not. 

Quote:Carry on....

Being correct?  I absolutely will, I do appreciate you giving me permission though. 

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Dill - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 04:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Still sticking with that line, eh?

Ms Yates said the White House not only did not consult with her office about the order, but did not tell her it was coming either, adding that she found out about it from the media.

That's clear. Yates was fired for doing her job, one part of which is to inform the president when pending actions might be unconstitutional. She was asked in her confirmation hearing whether she would be able to stand up to the president in defense of the constitution. She promised she would and did. Bharara was told he could stay on, then fired.

It isn't just the fact of the firings, it's the clumsy fashion in which they breach protocol and follow some angry episode in which Trump believes a normal check on presidential power to be personal defiance.

Hollo made an excellent point--the Democrats are not the ones making all these unforced errors.

To which I would add that attacking Democrats for "partisanship" etc in this matter simply makes no sense if one takes seriously

1) the claim Russia interfered with the US election and

2) the fact that Trump has denied the claim and used his presidential power to interfere with the investigation.

No logical inference from 1 and 2 gets you to an attack on Democrats for recognizing a mounting security risk and constitutional crisis.  That would require some serious partisan blinders and a will to find fault somehow.

I do agree though, that if you truly follow Rush and Hannity, If you dismiss 1 and 2, then the Democratic response is all hyperbole and hysteria.   Democrat behavior will then loom large on your political landscape as a politically motivated hysteria disconnected from any real, motivating security threat compounded by an unstable, incompetent commander in chief. The lost election drives "hypocrtical" criticism of the Comey firing, not real threats to national security and presidential overreach. That is a logical conclusion, if one accepts the premises. And Dem behavior will be the logical target of your critical commentary. Mitch McConnell, Rush and other party leaders are in lock step here.

The defense of the Comey firing also follows a recognizable pattern. Alternative facts and hypotheses appear and suddenly there could be any number of reasons why Trump fired Comey unrelated to the Russia investigation. Suddenly all conclusions are equally speculation and opinion.

PS as I was typing this, Trump tweeted CNN to the effect the Russians must be laughing at the Democrats for getting so exercised over their loss.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - bfine32 - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 08:42 AM)hollodero Wrote: If he did it at the begin, no one would have. The "simply" part is not so much about him getting fired, it's about him getting fired right after the Russia investigation obvioulsy picked up pace.

If you truly believe this, then I must question your judgement. If he would have fired Comey his first day in office, you really don't think there would be just as many people shouting: "He fired Comey without giving him a chance because Comey chose recommended not to pursue charges against Hillary!!"

Now here's a chance to demonstrate your judgement once more:

If he would have waited until after the investigation and if cleared how many people do you think would have suggested: "Comey is in Trump's pocket and it goes all the way back to him reopening the investigation against Hills".

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 08:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you truly believe this, then I must question your judgement. If he would have fired Comey his first day in office, you really don't think there would be just as many people shouting: "He fired Comey without giving him a chance because Comey chose recommended not to pursue charges against Hillary!!"

If he would have waited until after the investigation and if cleared how many people do you think would have suggested: "Comey is in Trump's pocket and it goes all the way back to him reopening the investigation against Hills".

https://www.yahoo.com/news/embattled-white-house-denies-misleading-comey-203748940.html

Since Comey was fired, White House staff have been busy crafting an excuse and had settled on the mishandling of the Clinton investigation based upon recommendations from the Attorney General's office. Today Trump undid all their work.

“I was going to fire him regardless of the recommendation,” Trump declared to NBC’s Lester Holt.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - hollodero - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 04:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It absolutely does, but it also leads me to believe that the firing wasn't motivated by that.  If it was it was so blatantly obvious that a child could see through it.  Trump is not stupid, he is also not surrounded by people who are stupid.  If he was worried about the Russia investigation he could have fired Comey long ago with way more cover for doing so.

(05-11-2017, 04:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The plain truth is that with a guy like Trump it could literally be anything.  Ivanka may have dropped a comment about how Comey should go, or someone else whom he trusts said something.  Trump strikes me as a guy whose opinion of you can change on a dime if the right person pours poison in his ear.  I just think that if Trump were really concerned about Comey's investigation into Russia he would have fired him upon taking office when he had a much better smokescreen for his true motives.  Doing it now, for Russia reasons, would be like declaring it in neon.  It just doesn't make sense.  While Trump is mercurial he's not surrounded by total simpletons. 

I just want to take a minute and think about that these two things are the best "defenses" (explanations for his deed) the US-American president got here. Things like "Ah, you can never tell with this guy" and "ah, he can't be torpedoing the investigation with this, for it would be too obvious a reason". I don't even say the points carry no merit, but still. It's amazing, somehow.
Just to further simple it down, the arguments are

1. Trump is not that stupid (he couldn't have possibly gone with such an obvious motive)
2. Trump is that stupid (he has no motives and does whatever someone tells him to do)

OK, you might argue being easily influenced doesn't equal being stupid, but I strongly disagree with your "not stupid" argument in the first place. Hence, the according argument carries some weight to me. It's true, could have been Ivanka or whoever.
The flaw, as I see it, in your "people around him are not stupid" thesis would be: If people around him aren't stupid and can influence him why did no one just tell him that no matter what, the timing looks horrendous and he'd better not fire Comey right in this very minute. I mean, see it as you will, if he really has completely innocent motives you couldn't plan the firing at any worse point in time. Wait till the investigation is over, maybe. And if it HAS to be now, just get at least a story straight you can tell. They didn't even do that. Now I really don't know what these non-stupid people were actually doing here. If they wanted to sabotage him on purpose, they couldn't have done a better job.

I'd say Trump is stupid (there are some signs for that) and the people around him can't really do much. Maybe someone poisoned his ear, as you suggested one could do with your completely non-stupid president. Could be anyone. Could be someone who is in danger by the investigation. And if so, it could be anyone wanting the investigation to go away. The point you made about his being influenceable really doesn't put away the smell.

(05-11-2017, 08:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you truly believe this, then I must question your judgement. If he would have fired Comey his first day in office, you really don't think there would be just as many people shouting: "He fired Comey without giving him a chance because Comey chose recommended not to pursue charges against Hillary!!"

Oh, feel free to question my judgment. I "truly" believe this, within the parameters that there probably will be some kind of backlash on virtually everything the opponent does, I acknowlege that much. But it would not be the same storm, that I believe, although of course that's hypothetical.
About the other side in general, I'm sure they are hysteric often. There's always a fine line between exaggerating and not doing their job as a politician. As politicians, they have to point to the questionable, smelly or damaging things on the other side, or they'd be in the wrong profession. Not that I want to excuse things, just to put them in perspective.
I'd also say, in some instances people's hysteria about the other side's hysteria isn't much less hysteric as said hysteria. If that sounds complicated: You're outraged about other people's outrage. Glasshouse-alert.
And, in the Comey case specifically, I'd say reality doesn't shape your perception, but perception shapes your reality about Democrat behaviour here. (That said reality exists in general, I do not doubt. I'm sure Democrats deserve many of the views you have of them.)

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Dill - 05-11-2017

You are missing something here, Bfine, and I am guessing it is because you don't really see the Russian investigation as serious and necessary and you still don't see Trump's instability and incompetence, or you do see it but don't recognize it as a problem with serious consequences for government. Democrats concerns aren't motivated by any existing problem of national security aggravated now by Trump's obstruction, so to you their complaints are just what you expect anytime and all the time. "Trump sure is bad." Nothing more.

Many Democrats DEFINITELY wanted to see Comey fired for throwing the election
. Had Trump done so in January and February, and had he planned the move with a ready explanation and a replacement. I don't see any reason why they would protest--though they might criticize a replacement like Guilliani.
(05-11-2017, 08:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Now here's a chance to demonstrate your judgement once more:

I cannot demonstrate Hollo's judgment here, but I can demonstrate my own: Why in the world would Democrats argue that Trump fired Comey because Comey was in Trump's pocket?????  WHO DOES THAT???

No one
would be suggesting this.

So we are back to the moment when, after ranting at Comey on TV, Trump orders his DOJ people to prepare a letter firing Comey after the latter refers to feeling nauseous about the election and requested more resources for the investigation and refused to pledge loyalty to Trump over dinner. His surrogates give conflicting accounts of how the firing came about, suggesting Trump was only acting on DOJ advice. Trump himself said Comey was "showboating" and just doing a bad job, having lost the confidence of the FBI, which Comey's replacement flatly denies. He reiterates that the Russian investigation is a "made up story." He says he wanted the investigation "to be done"--this in an interview explaining the firing. 

It is "questionable" then to suppose Trump fired Comey not because of the initially stated reason, but because he was ramping up the investigation???

Democrats are not sorry for Comey. This is not about Comey. This is about national security and cover up.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - hollodero - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 10:43 PM)Dill Wrote: I cannot demonstrate Hollo's judgment here, but I can demonstrate my own: Why in the world would Democrats argue that Trump fired Comey because Comey was in Trump's pocket?????  WHO DOES THAT???

Yeah that one got me confused a little too.

What confuses me more is your president just freely stated that it was not the recommendation that led to the Comey firing. Pence lied, my minions all lied, it was really me the whole time! Oh, and talking about Comey and the investigation - that Russian story is all made up, that's what he said to himself when firing Comey. And then repeated it on TV, because who gives.

What gets me super-confused though: Can Trump really ask the FBI director directly if he is part of the investigation against his transiton team? And could Comey freely answer that question? Is that fine and legal?

I want to add a question, since it's the impeachment thread: Can this actually bring him down? Directly connecting firing Comey to made up Russia/Trump story and/or asking the FBI director for information about an ongoing investigation against his team. That looks very wrong to me.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-12-2017

(05-11-2017, 11:39 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah that one got me confused a little too.

What confuses me more is your president just freely stated that it was not the recommendation that led to the Comey firing. Pence lied, my minions all lied, it was really me the whole time! Oh, and talking about Comey and the investigation - that Russian story is all made up, that's what he said to himself when firing Comey. And then repeated it on TV, because who gives.

What gets me super-confused though: Can Trump really ask the FBI director directly if he is part of the investigation against his transiton team? And could Comey freely answer that question? Is that fine and legal?

I want to add a question, since it's the impeachment thread: Can this actually bring him down? Directly connecting firing Comey to made up Russia/Trump story and/or asking the FBI director for information about an ongoing investigation against his team. That looks very wrong to me.

There is no law against law enforcement officials lying to suspects.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Dill - 05-12-2017

(05-11-2017, 11:39 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah that one got me confused a little too.

What confuses me more is your president just freely stated that it was not the recommendation that led to the Comey firing. Pence lied, my minions all lied, it was really me the whole time! 

The FBI is under control of the Department of Justice, and so under control of the Executive as well. But it is supposed to be "independent" of the president, which usually works because they are not usually investigating the president and his/her people. Normally a problem arises only because one political party or other perceives the president to be directing the FBI what to investigate (e.g., the president's political enemies).

I don't know if it is "illegal" for Trump to ASK such a question of Comey, but it is certainly wrong and against all norms. It compromises the investigation; the appearance is terrible if it becomes public--and Trump made it public!! It is the kind of thing which should lead to an inquiry. A competent politician would know this and take care to avoid improper appearances. No other candidate from the last election, Republican or Democrat, would be stumbling from one unforced error to another like this.

However, if Comey answers the question, reveals information about an FBI investigation to a target of the investigation, I am sure that is illegal and would be prosecutable.

According to Comey, Trump invited him to dinner (though Trump first told a reporter that Comey invited HIM!) and asked for a pledge of loyalty. Then Trump fired comey after Comey affirmed that he felt the American people best served by an independent FBI. To my mind that is worse than asking about the investigation.

LOL Trump's advisors told him not to do the interview with Lester Holt. But he knew better! 

As an MSNBC pundit Nicole Wallace just put it--He is the CRISIS CREATOR.

"Look he's a showboat, he's a grandstander, the FBI has been in turmoil," Trump said.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - hollodero - 05-12-2017

(05-12-2017, 12:01 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: There is no law against law enforcement officials lying to suspects.

OK, that makes sense. So Comey's fine, at least. As for Trump, I'd rather go for the other thing anyway. The "When I decided to fire Comey, I thought of the made up Russia/Trump story" thing. Or a mixture of everything. I just came across that little gem that Sessions has recused himself from Russia matters and writes recommendations for firing the leader of the Russia investigation. I want to see someone defending that.

(05-12-2017, 12:12 AM)Dill Wrote: LOL Trump's advisors told him not to do the interview with Lester Holt. But he knew better!  

Right. No matter the outcome, let's take a moment to fully acknowledge what an incredibly dumb appearance that was. IQ one of the highest... (And you all know it!) 
It's all so funny because it's not my president.

(05-12-2017, 12:30 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: "Look he's a showboat, he's a grandstander, the FBI has been in turmoil," Trump said.

Another brilliant move.

(05-11-2017, 11:39 PM)hollodero Wrote: I want to add a question, since it's the impeachment thread: Can this actually bring him down? Directly connecting firing Comey to made up Russia/Trump story and/or asking the FBI director for information about an ongoing investigation against his team. That looks very wrong to me.

Section 4 Article 2 in the Constitution of the US says the president and vice president can be removed for "high crimes and misdemeanors."  "High crimes" here means violations of the trust and responsibility uniquely placed upon representatives of the people in high office.  There is little specific defintion of high crimes for a US president. It is an office, above all others, whose holders have (with the exception of Jackson) been uniquely careful of appearances and deferential to tradition. They have largely policed themselves very well.

Boorish Trump has not cared a fig for any of that; he has not read about it, does not understand it, no interest in learning--hence his constant violation of precedent and protocol, accidental as often as deliberate.

So what constitutes a "high crime" here depends upon how one interprets Trump's actions.
My legal political opinion: If it turns out that his people colluded with Russia to affect the election in return for favors afterword, and he knew about that, then yes. Impeachment. He colluded with a foreign power to violate national security. Even with a Republican Congress and Senate.

If his people colluded and he didn't know about it,
but used his presidential power to obstruct justice, then I and many Democrats would want impeachment, but I doubt a Republican Congress would do that (given the hyper-partisan Republicans we have now). There are many ways to fudge "obstruction" here, since firing people like Comey and Yates was his right. You have seen how people in this forum can throw up smoke and equivocation around Trump's blunders. Imagine what the professionals can do.

Just for asking Comey about the investigation--I don't think that rises to "high crime"
in the case of someone who still doesn't know how government works. And if the investigation dies now, he has certainly gotten away with his bad behavior.

But the story is not over yet.
The investigation continues. Trump, flaking under pressure (you saw him during the debates), will likely make more errors, or create stupid distractions--hit North Korea with missiles, tear up the Iran deal. He will fire Priebus or Bannon and lose swaths of support. Mc Masters will maybe resign. More missteps will follow; he will try to intimidate some "independent" office, and one, or a combination, will get us to impeachment or resignation or removal for health reasons. It won't go four years.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - hollodero - 05-12-2017

(05-12-2017, 01:02 AM)Dill Wrote: Just for asking Comey about the investigation--I don't think that rises to "high crime" in the case of someone who still doesn't know how government works.

OK, agreed. Firing an FBI director because the Russia story is made up, though... that seems like a serious offense. The only thing lightening my stance is that he said it so free and openly that it can't possibly be that bad. But he really said it like that. When deciding to fire Comey, he thought of the made up Trump/Russia story. What do your articles and whatnot say about that. 

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Belsnickel - 05-12-2017

(05-11-2017, 06:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Incorrect, her job is to defend the government's position in court.  If she feels she cannot in good faith perform that function then she should resign.  Simply saying I refuse to do my job is insufficient.  Again, I gave an excellent examples of professionals with integrity doing exactly what she should have done.  Oddly enough you ignored that example.

There is a reason that when AGs and their deputies are confirmed they are asked, rather pointedly and usually by Senators in opposition to the administration, if they are going to be willing and able to say no to the administration when they cross the line. That is the role of the DoJ. These positions do not swear loyalty to the administration, they swear to uphold the Constitution, the law. The tradition and culture with the DoJ is that it has a degree of independence that other departments do not. There is a reason that its cabinet level officer is not titled Secretary.

We can argue whether she was correct in her interpretation of the law, that's fine, but her role as acting AG was to do exactly what she did. Ideological differences are all that change one's opinion of her actions.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - GMDino - 05-12-2017

(05-12-2017, 09:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is a reason that when AGs and their deputies are confirmed they are asked, rather pointedly and usually by Senators in opposition to the administration, if they are going to be willing and able to say no to the administration when they cross the line. That is the role of the DoJ. These positions do not swear loyalty to the administration, they swear to uphold the Constitution, the law. The tradition and culture with the DoJ is that it has a degree of independence that other departments do not. There is a reason that its cabinet level officer is not titled Secretary.

We can argue whether she was correct in her interpretation of the law, that's fine, but her role as acting AG was to do exactly what she did. Ideological differences are all that change one's opinion of her actions.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(05-12-2017, 09:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is a reason that when AGs and their deputies are confirmed they are asked, rather pointedly and usually by Senators in opposition to the administration, if they are going to be willing and able to say no to the administration when they cross the line. That is the role of the DoJ. These positions do not swear loyalty to the administration, they swear to uphold the Constitution, the law. The tradition and culture with the DoJ is that it has a degree of independence that other departments do not. There is a reason that its cabinet level officer is not titled Secretary.

Exactly.  They aren't supposed to be a rubber stamp.  That's why we have nepotism.  Look no further than the Bengals to see how well that works.

Well said.  I might add that someone who chooses to make the president fire her rather than simply resign is not doing something "wrong" or inherently less noble. No one should be questioning whether Yates did her duty well. At this point all eyes and all judgment should be on Trump and those who don't resist him.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-12-2017

No one is saying she had no right to act as she did.  That being said, actions have consequences, and if she felt strongly about the illegality of the EO she should have resigned.  Simply saying no to your boss is not sufficient.  Why has no one even attempted to address the example I gave above of the AG and his deputy resigning during the Nixon administration?  Because it's the perfect example of what Yates should have done if she felt strongly about her position.  My position is not based on ideology, it's based on integrity.  

The EO was in no way illegal or unconstitutional on its face.  To those who try and use the fact that both EO's issued on this subject have been blocked I would point out that the reason they were blocked in both instances was due to what the judges felt was the implied intent behind the immigration bans.  There is clear an undeniable precedent that the POTUS has broad powers in regards to who is allowed in the United States and from where.