Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Do we live in a Rape Culture? (/Thread-Do-we-live-in-a-Rape-Culture)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Brownshoe - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 01:07 PM)Benton Wrote: It's up to the prosecutor. Even really crappy public defenders can win if there's no victim willing to say they were.

If the prosecutor goes forward with it and the defense calls the victim to the stand , if they say they weren't assaulted, then that's the end of the case. And some judges won't let it go that far.

I would think that the prosecutor would continue the case if they know that they could still win w/o her testimony. The case that you described had him admitting it, and had a witness, plus some physical evidence. Personally I don't think any prosecutor would let that case go, because it would be a very easy win for the prosecutor.

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - GMDino - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 09:31 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Consenting to intoxication is never consenting to sex. I don't know where you're getting that from. When you're drunk you can still give consent, because being drunk doesn't take away your agency. It's not like when you get drunk you have absolutely no control over your actions. The only time that's the case is when you're black out drunk (mentally incapacitated). Which everyone agrees that's "too drunk to consent". People who think being drunk and giving consent to sex is rape is wrong, and that will never change because it's absolutely not rape.

What was the question again?

(05-09-2016, 09:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: What was the question again?

Belsnickel didn't ask a question.

(05-09-2016, 09:39 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Belsnickel didn't ask a question.

The question that started this thread....

(05-09-2016, 09:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: The question that started this thread....

Well can you not see it in the title? The answer to that question seems to be quite clear. It's a resounding "no". The only people who think that we do live in a rape culture believe that there is rape going on when there's not. There reasoning is "because I think it is even though there's nothing to suggest it is".

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Belsnickel - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 09:31 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Consenting to intoxication is never consenting to sex. I don't know where you're getting that from. When you're drunk you can still give consent, because being drunk doesn't take away your agency. It's not like when you get drunk you have absolutely no control over your actions. The only time that's the case is when you're black out drunk (mentally incapacitated). Which everyone agrees that's "too drunk to consent". People who think being drunk and giving consent to sex is rape, are wrong, and that will never change because it's absolutely not rape.

One does not need to be "black out drunk" to be mentally incapacitated. It doesn't take nearly that amount to cause people to lose their logical functions and often make decisions they would not have made otherwise. This is why it is illegal to even be in public while intoxicated.

(05-09-2016, 09:51 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Well can you not see it in the title? The answer to that question seems to be quite clear. It's a resounding "no". The only people who think that we do live in a rape culture believe that there is rape going on when there's not. There reasoning is "because I think it is even though there's nothing to suggest it is".

Or people who think the only time a drunk person cannot consent is when they are "blacked out".   Mellow

(05-09-2016, 09:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: One does not need to be "black out drunk" to be mentally incapacitated. It doesn't take nearly that amount to cause people to lose their logical functions and often make decisions they would not have made otherwise. This is why it is illegal to even be in public while intoxicated.

For people to lose their logical functions they would have to be black out drunk. When you're drunk you don't lose your agency. You can still use your logical functions to make decisions. If you choose to get drunk you should know that you might make decisions you normally wouldn't. That's why it's rape if the person didn't willingly get drunk, but it isn't if the person got willingly drunk.

(05-09-2016, 10:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Or people who think the only time a drunk person cannot consent is when they are "blacked out".   Mellow

Nice straw man. You like using those because you don't have a sound argument, don't you?

(05-09-2016, 10:15 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: For people to lose their logical functions they would have to be black out drunk. When you're drunk you don't lose your agency. You can still use your logical functions to make decisions. If you choose to get drunk you should know that you might make decisions you normally wouldn't. That's why it's rape if the person didn't willingly get drunk, but it isn't if the person got willingly drunk.

Your statement is factually inaccurate. It takes very little alcohol to impair judgement. And of course you follow it up by making a statement that falls in line with what I said earlier.

It is definitely interesting that some of us have said that the reason we are perceived as living in a rape culture is because of certain attitudes present in our society, and in an effort to combat this notion some of you have expressed those very attitudes.

(05-09-2016, 10:16 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Nice straw man. You like using those because you don't have a sound argument, don't you?

How is it a straw man?

(05-09-2016, 09:31 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: When you're drunk you can still give consent, because being drunk doesn't take away your agency. It's not like when you get drunk you have absolutely no control over your actions. The only time that's the case is when you're black out drunk (mentally incapacitated). Which everyone agrees that's "too drunk to consent".

That is what you said.

(05-09-2016, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Your statement is factually inaccurate. It takes very little alcohol to impair judgement. And of course you follow it up by making a statement that falls in line with what I said earlier.

It is definitely interesting that some of us have said that the reason we are perceived as living in a rape culture is because of certain attitudes present in our society, and in an effort to combat this notion some of you have expressed those very attitudes.

You don't lose your logical functions when you're drunk. They might be impaired but you don't lose it. There's nothing factually inaccurate to that statement.

(05-09-2016, 10:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: How is it a straw man?

That is what you said.

Because I never said you cannot refuse consent when you're drunk. His statement is a straw man because he said "Or people who think the only time a drunk person cannot consent is when they are "blacked out"." His statement is saying that if you're drunk you cannot refuse consent. Which is obviously a straw man.

(05-09-2016, 10:30 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You don't lose your logical functions when you're drunk. They might be impaired but you don't lose it. There's nothing factually inaccurate to that statement.

Impaired vs. loss is really irrelevant. You're grasping at straws here. Even impaired judgement/logic is too drunk to consent. If someone will do something they would not have done sober then they are at a point where their consent should not stand. Period.

(05-09-2016, 10:31 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Because I never said you cannot refuse consent when you're drunk. His statement is a straw man because he said "Or people who think the only time a drunk person cannot consent is when they are "blacked out"." His statement is saying that if you're drunk you cannot refuse consent. Which is obviously a straw man.

No, it is not. He is saying that you said the only time a person cannot consent, meaning incapable of doing so, is when they are blacked out.it is exactly what you have been saying.

(05-09-2016, 10:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Impaired vs. loss is really irrelevant. You're grasping at straws here. Even impaired judgement/logic is too drunk to consent. If someone will do something they would not have done sober then they are at a point where their consent should not stand. Period.

No, it is not. He is saying that you said the only time a person cannot consent, meaning incapable of doing so, is when they are blacked out.it is exactly what you have been saying.

Lol there is a MAJOR difference between the loss of logical function and impairment of logical function. Being drunk doesn't mean that you lose the ability to consent. You still have your agency. Being black out drunk is. There's a reason why the law is on my side and not yours.

He should have typed it more clearly then, because the way he typed it meant that someone couldn't refuse to consent due to being drunk.

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Benton - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 09:33 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I would think that the prosecutor would continue the case if they know that they could still win w/o her testimony. The case that you described had him admitting it, and had a witness, plus some physical evidence. Personally I don't think any prosecutor would let that case go, because it would be a very easy win for the prosecutor.

But that's the problem that comes from how our society (and many others) looks at rape and non consensual sex. If you put a woman in front of a judge and ask her if she was raped and she says no — even if there's evidence to the contrary — there's a good probability a case like that is getting dismissed. Because we look at rape with the intent of both parties, as opposed to crimes like assault where, typically, you're only looking at the perpetrator's intent, and not the person who got assaulted. Same with the bulk of crimes, where the person getting robbed generally isn't brought up in the context of the charges.

I've never heard a prosecutor move to dismiss because the victim of a robbery didn't want to come forward and get his stuff back, or the victim of an assault didn't want to stand up in court and say they got beat up in front of everyone. 

(05-09-2016, 10:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Lol there is a MAJOR difference between the loss of logical function and impairment of logical function. Being drunk doesn't mean that you lose the ability to consent. You still have your agency. Being black out drunk is. There's a reason why the law is on my side and not yours.

Impaired or lost, if a person is willing to do something under the influence of alcohol that they would not do sober, they are at a point which they are unable to give consent. That is why it is irrelevant. And yes, there is a reason the law in most places is on your side. The biggest is the inability to have a concrete basis of measurement for these things, and the other is because of the rape culture that exists and permeates our justice system.

I'm not going to bother continuing trying to convince you. If you want to try to keep justifying your position to others to make you feel better about yourself, feel free. I will continue to feel that anyone that acts on a yes from an intoxicated partner is doing so without actual consent. Never had sex while intoxicated or with someone who was, and never will.

(05-09-2016, 10:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: He should have typed it more clearly then, because the way he typed it meant that someone couldn't refuse to consent due to being drunk.

No, it didn't mean that. I am not even sure how you came to that conclusion.

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - bfine32 - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 10:51 PM)Benton Wrote: I've never heard a prosecutor move to dismiss because the victim of a robbery didn't want to come forward and get his stuff back, or the victim of an assault didn't want to stand up in court and say they got beat up in front of everyone. 

You're kind of arguing against yourself here. Victims of the crimes you listed may not feel they were are active participant in the crime committed against them. However, a rape "victim" may feel that he or she was an active member in a situation that got out of hand because both parties had lowered their inhibitions.  

(05-09-2016, 11:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Impaired or lost, if a person is willing to do something under the influence of alcohol that they would not do sober, they are at a point which they are unable to give consent. That is why it is irrelevant. And yes, there is a reason the law in most places is on your side. The biggest is the inability to have a concrete basis of measurement for these things, and the other is because of the rape culture that exists and permeates our justice system.

I'm not going to bother continuing trying to convince you. If you want to try to keep justifying your position to others to make you feel better about yourself, feel free. I will continue to feel that anyone that acts on a yes from an intoxicated partner is doing so without actual consent. Never had sex while intoxicated or with someone who was, and never will.

No, it didn't mean that. I am not even sure how you came to that conclusion.

Where is the law in your side anywhere? With your logic you could argue that one glass of whine you're not able to consent because you're impaired. You not sleeping for a day is equivalent to drinking a glass of whine, so someone could argue you if someone stays up for a day that they couldn't consent. Its a very silly logic. People still have their agency. People can still say no if they don't want too. There's a reason why it's not rape if they consent and their drunk... Just like that prosecutor said "Drunken consent is still consent".

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Benton - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 11:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're kind of arguing against yourself here. Victims of the crimes you listed may not feel they were are active participant in the crime committed against them. However, a rape "victim" may feel that he or she was an active member in a situation that got out of hand because both parties had lowered their inhibitions.  

I'd agree with the 'situation that got out of hand' part, but not really the lowered inhibitions. I know it's a major part of this thread, but out of all the rapes I covered, I don't recall any being a 'too drunk' to consent. It happens, but to what extent I have no idea. I'm mainly referring to those physically assaulted who are too embarrassed/scared/desperate to testify against an attacker. And those may be a very small or a large percentage of cases. I really don't know as statistics on sexual assault are very hard to get accurate numbers. 

As I said, in my own experience, if you look at the numbers for my area, it's relatively small if you look at the number of convictions for sexual related assaults. But through my exposure to the courts and the medical side of it, I knowthere are a lot more who start the process, but don't end up going any further.