Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Coronavirus - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Coronavirus (/Thread-Coronavirus)

RE: Coronavirus - bfine32 - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 03:51 PM)samhain Wrote: The extreme end of the protests are a bad look for sure, and no sane politician will do anything but condemn.    

The far right is in a dangerous place, much like the far left was not long ago.  They've gotten brazen in expressing their less-mainstream opinions, and reality will likely soon set in for them.  Lots of folks want to re-open, but few to none are seeking an armed insurrection to get it, and the movement is getting hijacked by crazies.  

I personally think some of these cosplayers are definitely dumb enough to kill a cop, public official or even a random private citizen.  When they do, all of the fun of the cosplay games will get really real, really fast for them.  They're walking a thin line right now, and some of the general public is still willing to tolerate their antics.  Once they act on their threats, the public will turn on them, and nobody will give a shit when the National Guard and State police start taking lethal action against the domestic terrorism threat. 

Agreed. They should be found and tried for hate crimes. 

RE: Coronavirus - GMDino - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks for the advice, but I'm mature enough and in control of my Emotional Intelligence to a point that I can ignore what I want and reply to what I want. I am not consumed with Cognitive dissonance when my point is questioned. Now the made up shit gets old, but I try to consider the source, Not everyone has that level of maturity or EI and find it easier to just stick their fingers in their ears and go "la.la.la.la" when presented with points counter to theirs. 

Some just get ran off leave.  Mellow

(05-27-2020, 04:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: Some just get ran off leave.  Mellow

and some get banned. 

WTS, "bragging about using the ignore feature is sophomoric and has been addressed as such both in this forum and others. 

RE: Coronavirus - BmorePat87 - 05-27-2020

After Swine Flu, OSHA worked for 6 years to create rules to require hospitals and nursing homes have a plan to deal with airborne infectious disease pandemic.

In 2016, the Obama WH approved it to be implemented in 2017. Then Trump was elected and slashed it without any specific reason other than cutting regulations.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/26/862018484/trump-team-killed-rule-designed-to-protect-health-workers-from-pandemic-like-cov

RE: Coronavirus - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 08:57 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: After Swine Flu, OSHA worked for 6 years to create rules to require hospitals and nursing homes have a plan to deal with airborne infectious disease pandemic.

In 2016, the Obama WH approved it to be implemented in 2017. Then Trump was elected and slashed it without any specific reason other than cutting regulations.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/26/862018484/trump-team-killed-rule-designed-to-protect-health-workers-from-pandemic-like-cov

. . . because Obama.

RE: Coronavirus - GMDino - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 08:57 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: After Swine Flu, OSHA worked for 6 years to create rules to require hospitals and nursing homes have a plan to deal with airborne infectious disease pandemic.

Obama must not have had the rules in a pretty binder.  

I absolutely love this:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-hanged-effigy-kentucky-governor-173824311.html

Quote:A protester who participated in hanging an effigy of Kentucky's governor at an armed rally on the State Capitol grounds has been fired from his job at an auto dealer.

I've always said: You're free to protest and your employer is free to fire you.

RE: Coronavirus - samhain - 05-28-2020

(05-27-2020, 04:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Agreed. They should be found and tried for hate crimes. 

Perhaps.  As liberal as I may be, I'm not the biggest fan of hate crimes legislation.  I think you just nail people for the actual crime, which should be bad enough.  

The whole invocation of the John Wilkes Booth quote is the thing that irks me almost as much as the effigy.  That's a thinly veiled threat of assassination, IMO, which is extremely illegal no matter how you slice it.  It's one of the few forms of clearly unprotected speech per the Bill of Rights, and for good reason.  When a person kills a president, governor, so on, they're subverting the will of whatever constituency elected them.  It's a crime against not just the official, but the entire state/country/democracy.  Anyone who commits such an act should face the death penalty, IMO.  Threats are different, depending on degree of intent and premeditation, but they should be and probably are taken seriously.  

Mob rule is a scary concept on the right or the left.  When a small group of citizens is crazy and angry enough to make those kinds of threats, it should be a wake up call.  I'm all for people protesting whatever they want, and I guess it's their legal right to carry weapons when they do.  However, I don't think it serves them or their cause well.  If anything, it either scares people or pisses them off.  Any movement with a cause worth supporting through protest shouldn't need to intimidate with armed displays of discontent. If I were running a re-open march or protest, I'd do everything I could to keep those types out of my rallies.  It's a real bad image to be associated with in the eyes of your average American.

And yes, FWIW, I'd say the same to people rioting vs law enforcement over brutality.  It's another thread, but I feel like that movement has gained a lot of momentum in terms of public support.  People rioting and turning violent do not help that at all.  It can set things back years in terms of progress.

RE: Coronavirus - Belsnickel - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 04:12 AM)samhain Wrote: The whole invocation of the John Wilkes Booth quote is the thing that irks me almost as much as the effigy.  That's a thinly veiled threat of assassination, IMO, which is extremely illegal no matter how you slice it.  

Maybe it's because I'm a Virginian and it's the motto of our Commonwealth, but it doesn't strike the same chord. But then again, it's used pretty frequently during protests of government overreach in my state.

Yup, just a normal day in Virginia. https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/499800-jerry-falwell-jr-mocks-virginia-governor-with-blackface-mask?fbclid=IwAR2cE_q07luQwtaIjJE5zeL6kntWIbPt91-x_xKnoOnHRiZmeFGuxbdXWBo

RE: Coronavirus - GMDino - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 10:18 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yup, just a normal day in Virginia. https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/499800-jerry-falwell-jr-mocks-virginia-governor-with-blackface-mask?fbclid=IwAR2cE_q07luQwtaIjJE5zeL6kntWIbPt91-x_xKnoOnHRiZmeFGuxbdXWBo

Can we get any with pool boys and his wife on them?  Mellow

(05-28-2020, 10:26 AM)GMDino Wrote: Can we get any with pool boys and his wife on them?  Mellow

Ha! I'd love for someone to do that.

You gave me an idea:

I'll probably get blocked for it, but that won't be such a hardship for me to endure.

RE: Coronavirus - BmorePat87 - 05-28-2020

The White House will break with 50 years of tradition by not releasing an updated economic forecast with their mid session review. While they’re saying it’s because Covid 19 makes it too uncertain, experts on both sides say it should be released regardless. This gets them out of having to officially release a projection of a contracting economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/28/white-house-coronavirus-economic-projections/

RE: Coronavirus - jason - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 08:46 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Maybe it's because I'm a Virginian and it's the motto of our Commonwealth, but it doesn't strike the same chord. But then again, it's used pretty frequently during protests of government overreach in my state.

Tim McVey was wearing a shirt with the slogan printed on it when he was arrested too.

RE: Coronavirus - bfine32 - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 04:12 AM)samhain Wrote: Perhaps.  As liberal as I may be, I'm not the biggest fan of hate crimes legislation.  I think you just nail people for the actual crime, which should be bad enough.  

The whole invocation of the John Wilkes Booth quote is the thing that irks me almost as much as the effigy.  That's a thinly veiled threat of assassination, IMO, which is extremely illegal no matter how you slice it.  It's one of the few forms of clearly unprotected speech per the Bill of Rights, and for good reason.  When a person kills a president, governor, so on, they're subverting the will of whatever constituency elected them.  It's a crime against not just the official, but the entire state/country/democracy.  Anyone who commits such an act should face the death penalty, IMO.  Threats are different, depending on degree of intent and premeditation, but they should be and probably are taken seriously.  

Mob rule is a scary concept on the right or the left.  When a small group of citizens is crazy and angry enough to make those kinds of threats, it should be a wake up call.  I'm all for people protesting whatever they want, and I guess it's their legal right to carry weapons when they do.  However, I don't think it serves them or their cause well.  If anything, it either scares people or pisses them off.  Any movement with a cause worth supporting through protest shouldn't need to intimidate with armed displays of discontent. If I were running a re-open march or protest, I'd do everything I could to keep those types out of my rallies.  It's a real bad image to be associated with in the eyes of your average American.

And yes, FWIW, I'd say the same to people rioting vs law enforcement over brutality.  It's another thread, but I feel like that movement has gained a lot of momentum in terms of public support.  People rioting and turning violent do not help that at all.  It can set things back years in terms of progress.
And I'm one who thinks the rule of law should prevail at times over "rights". It's why i support what our Liberal Governor is doing. Admittedly, I'm one of the very lucky ones. I've been able to work from home while going into the office occasionally. We don't have a family member battling a life threatening illness that cannot get proper treatment due to restrictions.

I cannot speak as to how I'd feel if my family and my livelihood we jeopardized because of the government. There's no "right" answer during all of this, so it's why I take exception to folks on the sidelines that only live to point fingers.

RE: Coronavirus - Dill - 05-29-2020

(05-28-2020, 04:12 AM)samhain Wrote: And yes, FWIW, I'd say the same to people rioting vs law enforcement over brutality.  It's another thread, but I feel like that movement has gained a lot of momentum in terms of public support.  People rioting and turning violent do not help that at all.  It can set things back years in terms of progress.

Not so sure about that.

It sets the RWM afire for a time, but I suspect police chiefs, Majors, state reps and governors tend to become "awoke" after such incidents, and whatever their rhetoric about law and order and how little sense it makes to hurt one's own community, there is hypervigilance over police behavior to prevent more disruption--not in response to protestors, but to property owners and investors.

RE: Coronavirus - samhain - 05-29-2020

(05-28-2020, 08:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And I'm one who thinks the rule of law should prevail at times over "rights". It's why i support what our Liberal Governor is doing. Admittedly, I'm one of the very lucky ones. I've been able to work from home while going into the office occasionally. We don't have a family member battling a life threatening illness that cannot get proper treatment due to restrictions.

I cannot speak as to how I'd feel if my family and my livelihood we jeopardized because of the government. There's no "right" answer during all of this, so it's why I take exception to folks on the sidelines that only live to point fingers.

Yeah, we're similar in that situational respect.  Hell, my employer payed me to stay home and not work for almost two months.  I took a major hit on my overtime pay, but still, I'm not exactly hurting.  I get why someone who built a small business would be really upset right now, and if it were up to me, they'd be taken care of by the gubmnit due to the act-of-god nature of the pandemic.  

Still, as you said, and as I've said before on here, the governors were put in a situation without much real information about how bad the virus would get or how quickly it would spread.  Would you want to be the governor that watched a few thousand extra people die, or would you want to be the one that got accused of being a tyrant for using emergency powers, but still ended up with a relatively low death rate?  I think a majority of Kentuckians thought Beshear did the right thing and hold him in solid regard.  The ones going after him likely didn't like him to begin with and are doing what people do in the name of politics.

RE: Coronavirus - samhain - 05-29-2020

(05-29-2020, 03:21 AM)Dill Wrote: Not so sure about that.

It sets the RWM afire for a time, but I suspect police chiefs, Majors, state reps and governors tend to become "awoke" after such incidents, and whatever their rhetoric about law and order and how little sense it makes to hurt one's own community, there is hypervigilance over police behavior to prevent more disruption--not in response to protestors, but to property owners and investors.

Perhaps.  I was in the eighth grade when the officers in the King beating were acquitted, triggering the LA riots.  I still remember watching it on TV while eating dinner with my parents at the local chili parlor.  It was the biggest display of civil disobedience/disorder I'd ever seen in my life at the time.  Still, I'm not sure a ton changed.  Cops are still using incredibly questionable to downright malicious levels of force, and the outcomes are still lethal, fairly regularly.  We've had two big profile incidents in the last few weeks, plus one involving non-LEO citizens, probably more. 

RE: Coronavirus - Dill - 05-29-2020

(05-29-2020, 04:19 AM)samhain Wrote: Perhaps.  I was in the eighth grade when the officers in the King beating were acquitted, triggering the LA riots.  I still remember watching it on TV while eating dinner with my parents at the local chili parlor.  It was the biggest display of civil disobedience/disorder I'd ever seen in my life at the time.  Still, I'm not sure a ton changed.   

Sure, still bad ones in there. But compared to 1992, there has been considerable change--at least according to this article from 2017, which assesses the results of the Consent Degree the DOJ forced on the LAPD/City of Los Angeles back in 2001:

Lessons from the LA riots: How a consent decree helped a troubled police department change
https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/28/us/lapd-change-since-la-riots/index.html

The LAPD was over 60% white in 1992; now it's a bit over 30%.  Among other things--

The consent decree finally implemented many of the recommendations that came out of the immediate aftermath of the LA riots: it instituted "discipline reports," created a database of information about officers and supervisors to identify at-risk behavior, revised procedures on search and arrest -- and even created a system to account for instances of police dogs biting members of the public.

Polls showed a lot more community support and trust for the LAPD, at least in 2017.

A number of other cities were forced into these consent degrees because of riots as well, but Jeff Sessions' DOJ put them under review (big government intrusion into local politics--a crtique with echoes of '60s "states rights" defense of segregation).

Anyway, keeping with my point--changes like this don't appear to come from city fathers suddenly "listening" to community complaints and responding to legal or moral arguments, or even from a body count.  They come from billions in lost property.

(05-29-2020, 04:19 AM)samhain Wrote: Cops are still using incredibly questionable to downright malicious levels of force, and the outcomes are still lethal, fairly regularly. We've had two big profile incidents in the last few weeks, plus one involving non-LEO citizens, probably more.

Maybe expect more? Disciplinary-wise, not a lot to worry about from this DOJ.

RE: Coronavirus - GMDino - 05-29-2020

Mellow