Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Good Night Irene - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Good Night Irene (/Thread-Good-Night-Irene--16635)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Good Night Irene - bfine32 - 08-24-2018

(08-24-2018, 02:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This getting ridiculous.  All you do is go in circles.  We have already discussed this.

NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON believes that the NFL players are kneeling because we need a new flag.  EVERY SINGLE PERSON WITH A BRAIN knows that the players are making a statement about the country, not the flag. 

Unfortunately some feel the flag stands for something. No need for a cap locks insult.

RE: Good Night Irene - fredtoast - 08-24-2018

(08-24-2018, 02:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unfortunately some feel the flag stands for something. 

Actually EVERYONE feels the flag stands for something, and that thing is our country.

Anyone who thinks the flag stands for him and not other citizens has a problem.

(08-24-2018, 02:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually EVERYONE feels the flag stands for something, and that thing is our country.

Anyone who thinks the flag stands for him and not other citizens has a problem.

The why the silly "no one is saying we need a new flag".

So disrespecting the flag is disrespecting the whole country.

Finally, we have found common ground.

(08-24-2018, 02:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So disrespecting the flag is disrespecting the whole country.

Finally, we have found common ground.

You still don't get it.

How can we have common ground when I just told you that no one is complaining about the flag.  The kneeling is a comment about the country not the flag.  And if saying the country has problems is disrespectful then Donald Trump has been more disrespectful than any NFL player.

The only common ground I thought we had reached was that the flag is just a symbol for the country.

RE: Good Night Irene - GMDino - 08-24-2018

(08-24-2018, 02:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unfortunately some feel the flag stands for something. No need for a cap locks insult.

Unfortunately some feel the flag is more important than ALL the people it flies over.

RE: Good Night Irene - BmorePat87 - 08-24-2018

(08-24-2018, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...and I've said I don't think those kneeling intend to disrespect the Troops, but I did ask you do you find it disrespectful; even though it's not the intent

Answer the question posed and then you may see.

Wait, so you're suggesting they're "exactly the same" because people feel disrespected by both?

Yea, that doesn't hold up given exactly what I said about one group being the direct subject of the perceived offense and one group not being the direct subject of the perceived offense. 

Native Americans being offended by the use of Native American slurs and images as mascots requires no degrees of separation. On the other hand, veterans being offended that people are kneeling during the national anthem which is about an earlier version of the flag that they feel a personal connection to because of their service has at least two degrees of separation.

(08-24-2018, 03:28 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Wait, so you're suggesting they're "exactly the same" because people feel disrespected by both?

Yea, that doesn't hold up given exactly what I said about one group being the direct subject of the perceived offense and one group not being the direct subject of the perceived offense. 

Native Americans being offended by the use of Native American slurs and images as mascots requires no degrees of separation. On the other hand, veterans being offended that people are kneeling during the national anthem which is about an earlier version of the flag that they feel a personal connection to because of their service has at least two degrees of separation.

Just answer the question

You have 10 seconds.

You're not native American. Do you find the name offensive and disrespectful?

(08-24-2018, 04:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just answer the question

You have 10 seconds.

You are just too narrow minded in your definition of "offensive".

You are basically saying that any action at any time could be considered offensive.

If I say that all people who wear blue in public are disrespectful and offensive that does not mean that wearing blue in public is disrespectful or offensive.

There are many more reasons for the word Redskin to be viewed as offensive than just people claiming to be offended.  You can't define "offensive" based on just the opinion of the speaker or the person offended.  It is not that simple.

So your supposed "gotcha" is a fail.  The word redskin can be deemed offensive because it is a slur, but just because some people claim to be offended by it.

(08-24-2018, 04:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are just too narrow minded in your definition of "offensive".

You are basically saying that any action at any time could be considered offensive.

If I say that all people who wear blue in public are disrespectful and offensive that does not mean that wearing blue in public is disrespectful or offensive.

There are many more reasons for the word Redskin to be viewed as offensive than just people claiming to be offended.  You can't define "offensive" based on just the opinion of the speaker or the person offended.  It is not that simple.

So your supposed "gotcha" is a fail.  The word redskin can be deemed offensive because it is a slur, but just because some people claim to be offended by it.

Offensive: To offend. There's no gotcha. It was an attempt to allow some to see the matter from a different POV. It was simply to illustrate how something can be offensive without intention or offending the entire population.

RE: Good Night Irene - GMDino - 08-24-2018

(08-24-2018, 04:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Offensive: To offend. There's no gotcha. It was an attempt to allow some to see the matter from a different POV. It was simply to illustrate how something can be offensive without intention or offending the entire population.

It's ignorant to compare an actual racial slur to a perceived "disrespect" no matter how many times you repeat it.

Jebus knows I know how proud you are of your service...but the two "offenses" are not even on the same page except in the minds of people looking to be offended by something that never happened.

Rock On

(08-24-2018, 04:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Offensive: To offend. There's no gotcha. It was an attempt to allow some to see the matter from a different POV. It was simply to illustrate how something can be offensive without intention or offending the entire population.

But surely you are not claiming that wearing blue in public is disrespectful or offensive just because I say it is.

There are substantive elements to defining if something is offensive or disrespectful.  It is not just because a person claims it is.

"Redskin" is not considered offensive just because some Native Americans claim it is.  There is actually a history of it being used as a racial slur.  There is substance to the opinion other than just "because I say so".

(08-24-2018, 06:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But surely you are not claiming that wearing blue in public is disrespectful or offensive just because I say it is.

There are substantive elements to defining if something is offensive or disrespectful.  It is not just because a person claims it is.

"Redskin" is not considered offensive just because some Native Americans claim it is.  There is actually a history of it being used as a racial slur.  There is substance to the opinion other than just "because I say so".

And there are substantive elements to define how you should show respect to the flag. 

36 U.S. Code § 301

You're not aware of this counselor? 

RE: Good Night Irene - BmorePat87 - 08-24-2018

(08-24-2018, 01:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Intentionally? No. Though there's an argument to be made that any slur, whether directed at someone or not, is inherently disrespectful, but I think "racially insensitive" is more accurate. 

(08-24-2018, 04:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just answer the question

You have 10 seconds.

I answered it 6 hours ago. 

(08-24-2018, 08:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I answered it 6 hours ago. 

So then, we've got a no; you don't find it offensive and disrespectful. You find it "racially insensitive".

Perhaps Fred can frame that and put it on his wall where I said it is offensive and disrespectful. 

RE: Good Night Irene - Nately120 - 08-27-2018

Do you think when the XFL starts all the teams will have racially insensitive names and standing for the anthem will be mandatory? I'm just pumped to see John Skelton back on the field, I'll admit.

RE: Good Night Irene - GMDino - 08-27-2018

[Image: 40211539_2278727928886915_86552047633207...e=5BF600D9]

RE: Good Night Irene - bfine32 - 09-04-2018

Figured this could go here as well as anywhere:
https://sports.yahoo.com/nike-makes-colin-kaepernick-face-just-30th-anniversary-campaign-200029766.html

Quote:Nike revealed, through ESPN’s Darren Rovell, that it is making Colin Kaepernick the face of its “Just Do It” 30th anniversary ad campaign.

The initial image, announced through Rovell, has a close up of Kaepernick’s face with the caption: “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.”

I doubt Nike will be the official footwear of POTUS any time soon.

RE: Good Night Irene - Benton - 09-04-2018

(09-04-2018, 12:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured this could go here as well as anywhere:
https://sports.yahoo.com/nike-makes-colin-kaepernick-face-just-30th-anniversary-campaign-200029766.html

I doubt Nike will be the official footwear of POTUS any time soon.

Gotta say, brilliant move by Nike.

Couldn't tell you the last time I saw something of theirs, either an ad or something on social media. Then — bam — for the cost of a former quarterback, their ad is all over the place.

RE: Good Night Irene - bfine32 - 09-04-2018

(09-04-2018, 06:53 PM)Benton Wrote: Gotta say, brilliant move by Nike.

Couldn't tell you the last time I saw something of theirs, either an ad or something on social media. Then — bam — for the cost of a former quarterback, their ad is all over the place.

Sure it made news; however, the brilliance of it is to be determined.

RE: Good Night Irene - CKwi88 - 09-04-2018

(09-04-2018, 06:53 PM)Benton Wrote: Gotta say, brilliant move by Nike.

I dunno......what about the old cantankerous white man market? LOL