Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks (/Thread-AJ-Green-hurt-Will-miss-6-8-weeks)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - t3r3e3 - 07-28-2019

(07-28-2019, 06:31 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Anything torn in the lower ankle for sure means surgery,I know I been there and done that,they do not fix themselves,have to repair it under the knife.So so sad,there goes ZTs wonderful so-called season.That will cost us at least 3 games so here we go to 6 and 10 again and the players will be so bummed,ZT will have to be a genius to keep this team together.just my thoughts Cry

The Bengals were realistically a 6-10 or 7-9 team prior to losing Jonah and A.J. This is shaping up to be a 5-11 or 4-12 kind of season. Sucks to say it, but that’s the impartial read. O line is a dumpster fire, WR is thin, best defensive players are another year into their 30’s, LB group still weak.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - Bengalitis - 07-28-2019

(07-28-2019, 08:55 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The Bengals were realistically a 6-10 or 7-9 team prior to losing Jonah and A.J.  This is shaping up to be a 5-11 or 4-12 kind of season.  Sucks to say it, but that’s the impartial read.  O line is a dumpster fire, WR is thin, best defensive players are another year into their 30’s, LB group still weak.

Division rivals and nfl teams all they have to do is gameplan by saying "we will double team Boyd, and challenge their WRs to beat us" and stuff the line for Mixon.

After consistent 3 & outs, the D is tired and the team demoralized. Game Over.

Wasted

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - Synric - 07-28-2019

(07-28-2019, 09:05 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Division rivals and nfl teams all they have to do is gameplan by saying "we will double team Boyd, and challenge their WRs to beat us" and stuff the line for Mixon.

After consistent 3 & outs, the D is tired and the team demoralized. Game Over.

Wasted

People said they would stuff Mixon at the end of last year with AJ hurt, no TEs, weak line, and Andy Dalton hurt...it didn't work then and it likely won't work in 2019.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - ElkValleyBengal - 07-28-2019

I envision him starting the season on PUP, if nothing else for the team being cautious and deliberate. Of course, that 6-8 week prognosis might grow like the previous one. I think I'm always going to assume the worst with injuries going forward. That way, I won't be disappointed any more than I have to be, and I'll occasionally be pleasantly surprised.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - GreenCornBengal - 07-28-2019

I'm thinking 6-8 weeks is lowballing it. He is going to get a second opinion and that may lead to surgery. We may miss him the entire year.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - TKUHL - 07-28-2019

I hear Eifert got hurt helping AJ up.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - THE PISTONS - 07-28-2019

(07-28-2019, 07:37 PM)Sweetness Wrote: That's not necessarily true. I tore a ligament in my ankle playing basketball and it was able to heal on it's own through about a month of physical therapy. They can definitely fix themselves. For a WR he may be back in 6-8 weeks but I don't think he'll be fully back and it might be a bother all season. 

Partial tears can heal on their own. If you completely tear a ligament, you have to get surgery if it's an important ligament. Some people tear ligaments in their knee and choose not to get surgery. The pain eventually goes away, but it's not like the ligament heals itself. I think it was Hines Ward who had no ACL.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - Murdock2420 - 07-28-2019

(07-28-2019, 09:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Partial tears can heal on their own. If you completely tear a ligament, you have to get surgery if it's an important ligament. Some people tear ligaments in their knee and choose not to get surgery. The pain eventually goes away, but it's not like the ligament heals itself. I think it was Hines Ward who had no ACL.

You are confusing ACL with spine and testicles.... turd never hit a guy who was looking.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - bfine32 - 07-28-2019

I miss Chad Johnson

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - Nately120 - 07-28-2019

(07-28-2019, 04:50 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: We’ve seen this story a million times don’t let them fool you. He’ll be gone till like week 6 or 7  we this organization we better hope Ross steps up and the rest of our team can avoid injuries

I don't know which of those two hopes is more absurd. 

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - McC - 07-28-2019

(07-28-2019, 06:31 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Anything torn in the lower ankle for sure means surgery,I know I been there and done that,they do not fix themselves,have to repair it under the knife.So so sad,there goes ZTs wonderful so-called season.That will cost us at least 3 games so here we go to 6 and 10 again and the players will be so bummed,ZT will have to be a genius to keep this team together.just my thoughts Cry

Or...they pull together, a couple guys step up, the coaching staff adjusts, they hold it together till AJ gets back.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - NKURyan - 07-29-2019

This might be the most emo thread in a long time.

Initially we all dread that he's out for the season, then we get news that he might only miss a game or two, and yet we've got people proclaiming that he'll never play again, the season is over, etc. Take a deep breath, folks.

Meanwhile, we've blamed Mike Brown, Zach Taylor, the city of Dayton, Dre Kirkpatrick, Bo Jackson, and Andy Dalton, because there's no way that this can just be a random freak accident or anything.

The same people mad at the Bengals for practicing on the field in Dayton would be slamming them had they pulled out of the practice over it's condition, so that's kind of a moot point even if the field had anything to do with the injury (which it appears it did not).

Seems somebody's posts have vanished from the thread, though, so that's a positive!

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - samhain - 07-29-2019

(07-29-2019, 12:47 AM)NKURyan Wrote: This might be the most emo thread in a long time.

Initially we all dread that he's out for the season, then we get news that he might only miss a game or two, and yet we've got people proclaiming that he'll never play again, the season is over, etc. Take a deep breath, folks.

Meanwhile, we've blamed Mike Brown, Zach Taylor, the city of Dayton, Dre Kirkpatrick, Bo Jackson, and Andy Dalton, because there's no way that this can just be a random freak accident or anything.

The same people mad at the Bengals for practicing on the field in Dayton would be slamming them had they pulled out of the practice over it's condition, so that's kind of a moot point even if the field had anything to do with the injury (which it appears it did not).

Seems somebody's posts have vanished from the thread, though, so that's a positive!

Well, you did kind of leave out the time period between yesterday and today when we were operating under the belief that he'd likely only miss the preseason.  You also ignore the probability of this injury happening again when he returns, which is sadly a decent possibility.

People are justifiably weary of the reporting of injury severity when it comes to this team.  "Dinged up" becomes out for a year sooner than we expect here.  Our most consistent and versatile o-lineman just hit us out of nowhere with a retirement announcement that nobody would have predicted, and all due to an issue that he and the team were aware of not long after the 2018 season ended.  

It's fair to say that they don't have to tell us anything if they don't want to.  it's also a fair reaction on the part of the fanbase to expect the worst when it comes to these situations.  They play games because they want us to buy tickets and merchandise.  We're just going to go ahead with the whole wait and see thing first.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - samhain - 07-29-2019

(07-28-2019, 11:49 PM)McC Wrote: Or...they pull together, a couple guys step up, the coaching staff adjusts, they hold it together till AJ gets back.

There's something to be said for this.  

I am firmly in the doubter camp for 2019.  I think that this is an extremely flawed roster with unworthy coaches in some key spots.  Everything they did after the Taylor hire was a disappointing half-measure minus the Boyd extension.

That said, if AJ misses a month and they break even at 2-2 or even beat the long odds and make 3-1, then that's quite an impressive feat.  This team absolutely runs through AJ Green when he's healthy.  He opens up everything and can take over games when nobody else is getting it done.

It's not totally impossible if Eifert can stay healthy and the line can support Mixon.  Those 3 are all guys you a defense needs to account for when they are healthy.  

If they win 2 or more without him before October, then Taylor might as well be anointed savior.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - Tiger Teeth - 07-29-2019

(07-28-2019, 11:49 PM)McC Wrote: Or...they pull together, a couple guys step up, the coaching staff adjusts, they hold it together till AJ gets back.

I'm with you!  This could very well happen.  We've won games without AJ in the past.  

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - HarleyDog - 07-29-2019

Since historically we have seemed to be fed false expectations on player health and returns in the past, I would like to see them prepare as if AJs not coming back at all. Then if he does, it’s a plus.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - Wyche'sWarrior - 07-29-2019

(07-29-2019, 12:47 AM)NKURyan Wrote: This might be the most emo thread in a long time.

Hey man....the curse is real. Look it up. Mellow

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - Daddy-O - 07-29-2019

That's is not true!  I've torn ankle ligaments many times and not once had surgery.  It depends on the tear, where it's located, and the severity.  If he's ever sprained that ankle before he will likely be back before six weeks and the ligaments become very elastic and the injury, although scary, is never as bad as the first - at least in my cases.  Now, if it's the first time on that ankle, and it's severe, it can be very problematic.

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - SHRacerX - 07-29-2019

(07-28-2019, 04:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: 6-8 weeks recovery is unrealistic IMO.  It depends on gradient and which ligaments were "torn".  It will also depend if surgery is required.  Even if Green returns to play this season, there is over 50% chance re-injury occurs.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10028133

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17260117

No, the recovery time is very accurate.  And it could be less with the technology today.  I tore ligaments in both ankles (in different events) and one was more severe than the other.  Both took about 4 weeks to heal to the point that I could lightly start exercising.  After two more weeks, I was full go.

The chance of re-injury is real, however, as once those ligaments are torn and "stretched" the joint becomes looser and easier to roll an ankle again.  A simple tight fabric brace helps with this and many players wear them already.  

The procedures of today, including stem cell injections, could help him heal even faster, but they will want him back 100% before letting him play.  

I think worse case he misses the first two games.  And as a potential bright-side, they don't have just a few days to figure out what to do without him, they have 6 weeks.  

I can't help but wonder if the team isn't better off moving Boyd to the outside and starting Alex Erickson in the slot.  

RE: AJ Green hurt; Will miss 6-8 weeks - WeezyBengal - 07-29-2019

You guys just KNOW this is going to be one of those injuries where AJ ends up missing the entire year.

It will linger, Bengals medical staff will botch something, and next thing you know its going to be week 16.