Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Just got my first smoker - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+--- Thread: Just got my first smoker (/Thread-Just-got-my-first-smoker)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Just got my first smoker - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-19-2021

(04-12-2021, 10:28 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I've never known anyone to make jerky in a smoker.  Dehydrator, oven, even know a guy here in Colorado who's hung it in his basement to cure/dry because it's so dry here.  But never had smoked jerky.  

Someone mentioned sale on ribs this past weekend.  Sam's had some good deals as well, so I grabbed some spare ribs and baby back.  I'll get to them maybe next month.  This past weekend I did some dry rubbed and smoked wings and some smoked queso for a neighborhood potluck.  People liked the wings, but went nuts over the queso.  2 days later and they're still raving.  It's the easiest recipe to make, but sometimes time and complexity aren't what the people want! 

They make a ton of jerky in the Masterbuilt Gravity Series that I have. Dudes are posting pics of it all the time in a group for them I'm in on Facebook.

RE: Just got my first smoker - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-19-2021

Smoked my first leg of lamb this weekend, turned out great. The rub needed a bit more salt, but overall, we really enjoyed it.

RE: Just got my first smoker - michaelsean - 04-20-2021

(04-19-2021, 04:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Smoked my first leg of lamb this weekend, turned out great. The rub needed a bit more salt, but overall, we really enjoyed it.

I pretty much put salt down first before any rub now.  None of the rubs I have used has enough salt IMO.

RE: Just got my first smoker - MileHighGrowler - 04-20-2021

(04-19-2021, 04:24 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Smoked my first leg of lamb this weekend, turned out great. The rub needed a bit more salt, but overall, we really enjoyed it.

(04-20-2021, 10:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I pretty much put salt down first before any rub now.  None of the rubs I have used has enough salt IMO.

Are you guys making your own rubs or buying them?

(04-20-2021, 10:53 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Are you guys making your own rubs or buying them?

As of now I just buy mine.  I like the Killer Hogs TX Brisket rub.  I also have Killer Hogs The Rub.  I have a couple others, but they don't really have much going for them flavor wise. I try them on other things before I put them on something I want to smoke.  I may try Meat Church next.  

RE: Just got my first smoker - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-20-2021

(04-20-2021, 10:53 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Are you guys making your own rubs or buying them?

I make mine. I have developed four, and working on the lamb rub. I have my sweet heat pork rub, my brisket dust, bird rub, and one for fish (predominantly salmon). 

(04-20-2021, 10:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I pretty much put salt down first before any rub now.  None of the rubs I have used has enough salt IMO.

I agree...I use more salt than any online recipe has. This was my first attempt at lamb, and the rub had great flavor ...it just needed a bit more salt. I'll know for the next one.

(04-20-2021, 11:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: As of now I just buy mine.  I like the Killer Hogs TX Brisket rub.  I also have Killer Hogs The Rub.  I have a couple others, but they don't really have much going for them flavor wise. I try them on other things before I put them on something I want to smoke.  I may try Meat Church next.  

(04-20-2021, 11:12 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I make mine. I have developed four, and working on the lamb rub. I have my sweet heat pork rub, my brisket dust, bird rub, and one for fish (predominantly salmon). 

Nice. I'm honestly SPG on pretty much anything I smoke. I've never gotten into using the rubs. I have a friend who's always excited to try the next big All Things BBQ or Meat Church rubs but ends up happier with good old SPG in the end nearly every time.

I will say there are some random ingredients in rubs that I think would be cool to have (powdered honey and vinegar, for example), but I bet I could buy them off Amazon if wanted (just looked it up and yes, they're available).

(04-20-2021, 12:09 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Nice.  I'm honestly SPG on pretty much anything I smoke.  I've never gotten into using the rubs.  I have a friend who's always excited to try the next big All Things BBQ or Meat Church rubs but ends up happier with good old SPG in the end nearly every time.  

I will say there are some random ingredients in rubs that I think would be cool to have (powdered honey and vinegar, for example), but I bet I could buy them off Amazon if wanted (just looked it up and yes, they're available).

That's how I did my first three briskets (spg) but I did think the Killer Hogs added something, although I still used my own Salt and garlic as well.  I also added a thin layer of Weber smoking rub that I happened to find in my spice cabinet.  No idea where it came from or how long I had it, but I tried it on hamburgers once and liked it.  Not sure it added anything to the brisket but I thought what the hell.  

Again I can see me doing the same things as when I started smoking cigars. Eventually you realize most everything is hype and you just back it down. I imagine I will in time become mainly an SPG guy.

(04-20-2021, 01:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's how I did my first three briskets (spg) but I did think the Killer Hogs added something, although I still used my own Salt and garlic as well.  I also added a thin layer of Weber smoking rub that I happened to find in my spice cabinet.  No idea where it came from or how long I had it, but I tried it on hamburgers once and liked it.  Not sure it added anything to the brisket but I thought what the hell.  

Again I can see me doing the same things as when I started smoking cigars.  Eventually you realize most everything is hype and you just back it down.  I imagine I will in time become mainly an SPG guy.

I should add I don't think there's anything wrong with using more complex rubs, whether bought or made at home.  I'm always intrigued when I hear about someone smoking a pork belly with a coffee rub, for example.  I guess I just don't smoke enough that I need to have that kind of variety.  I like to taste the meat and the smoke, and enhance it with a few flavors.  If I was smoking 3-4 times a week, I bet I'd be using more variety in rubs.  But for 2-3 times a month, I don't want to take the chance that I really don't dig that coffee flavor in my meat and it'll be a couple weeks before I have time to make it the way I like it. 

(04-20-2021, 02:54 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I should add I don't think there's anything wrong with using more complex rubs, whether bought or made at home.  I'm always intrigued when I hear about someone smoking a pork belly with a coffee rub, for example.  I guess I just don't smoke enough that I need to have that kind of variety.  I like to taste the meat and the smoke, and enhance it with a few flavors.  If I was smoking 3-4 times a week, I bet I'd be using more variety in rubs.  But for 2-3 times a month, I don't want to take the chance that I really don't dig that coffee flavor in my meat and it'll be a couple weeks before I have time to make it the way I like it. 

I do SPG quite a bit....and it's the basis of any rub. What you add from there is taste and experiment. I usually do 5-6 rather large parties a year, and quite a bit just around home and the neighbors. I knew I had a hit with the pork rub when the BBQ sauce sat unused. Sprinkle more in while I'm pulling. The brisket is just kind of a tex mex thing that I came up with... it's an interesting twist on brisket. But I traditionally cook simple on beef. Poultry rub is pretty standard, a little thyme/rosemary, olive oil, spg, smoked paprika, couple other herbs. Fish is a basic dill rub. I find that I like more variety in the fowl and fish realm...and more basic on traditional meats. 

RE: Just got my first smoker - jfkbengals - 04-20-2021

(04-20-2021, 08:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: I do SPG quite a bit....and it's the basis of any rub. What you add from there is taste and experiment. I usually do 5-6 rather large parties a year, and quite a bit just around home and the neighbors. I knew I had a hit with the pork rub when the BBQ sauce sat unused. Sprinkle more in while I'm pulling. The brisket is just kind of a tex mex thing that I came up with... it's an interesting twist on brisket. But I traditionally cook simple on beef. Poultry rub is pretty standard, a little thyme/rosemary, olive oil, spg, smoked paprika, couple other herbs. Fish is a basic dill rub. I find that I like more variety in the fowl and fish realm...and more basic on traditional meats. 

And none of us have gotten invitations why?

[Image: 7c6103215dccbba79273a01bc65c035c_square_...39018.jpeg]

RE: Just got my first smoker - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-21-2021

(04-20-2021, 08:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: And none of us have gotten invitations why?

[Image: 7c6103215dccbba79273a01bc65c035c_square_...39018.jpeg]

.....the garage/man cave is always open, and we're always there till closing time. Wink

RE: Just got my first smoker - WeezyBengal - 04-21-2021

(04-20-2021, 11:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: As of now I just buy mine.  I like the Killer Hogs TX Brisket rub.  I also have Killer Hogs The Rub.  I have a couple others, but they don't really have much going for them flavor wise.  I try them on other things before I put them on something I want to smoke.  I may try Meat Church next.  

I have a couple from meat church as was underwhelmed by them. Just not a ton of flavor. 

RE: Just got my first smoker - WeezyBengal - 04-21-2021

Did ribs over the weekend.

[Image: zQ_3F6zIxXpn5m1CJi3S0WAEIEg9aCtjCWeglMK5...authuser=0]

RE: Just got my first smoker - michaelsean - 04-21-2021

(04-21-2021, 11:16 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I have a couple from meat church as was underwhelmed by them. Just not a ton of flavor. 

Well you saved me some money then.  Basically the rubs I know about are from watching youtube videos so they are pushing each other's stuff, and it may not be all that great.  Anyone ever try Heath Riles?

Pork butts $.99 and choice brisket $2.99 at Kroger.

RE: Just got my first smoker - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-21-2021

(04-21-2021, 12:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Pork butts $.99 and choice brisket $2.99 at Kroger.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be checking ours after work.

Forgot to mention, not necessarily for smoking, but they had beef tenderloin for $12.99. The one in Montgomery had them from 4-7 lbs.

Just got my first smoker - bjf123 - 04-21-2021

I’m thinking about getting a smoker, probably a Traeger. How are smokers for grilling steaks? I’m concerned they might not get hot enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk