Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Will we see players kneel? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Will we see players kneel? (/Thread-Will-we-see-players-kneel)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Luvnit2 - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 11:20 AM)GMDino Wrote: My guess is that the difference is they are not from the UK so they are not making a statement about there.

This past Sunday was a result of the POTUS' comments.  Period.

The attempt to tie it directly to them somehow all supporting Kaepernick and his socks is wrong and a diversion.

The NFL had the opportunity to call out Kaep for his divisive comments and actions and refused. Therefore the NFL's failure to not condone his behavior made his behavior acceptable in the NFL. Like I said the NFL botched this, took sides with a player disrespecting our flag and anthem by wearing clothing that was divisive and calling police pigs. By not addressing it, the NFL allowed the platform. It will be forever associated with one man's actions, it is too late to do a do over. 

Players need to find a way to be constructive and not piss off the Patriotic base who simply despise not disrespecting our flag and all it stands for. Their message is lost and will remain lost if they keep up the protests.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - WeezyBengal - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 11:01 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, everyone has a right to protest. The huge mistake was using our flag and anthem as the vehicle. The NFL botched this when Kaep started it by saying police are pigs and then took a knee in protest. He started the debate squarely against all police and then used the flag and anthem as his platform tool.

Just as an NFL player has a right to be do a divisive and peaceful protest, our President has a right to voice his opinion on their decision and suggest consequences for their actions.

He has a right to voice his opinion, but his opinion was full of disrespect and venom. You cant just go around calling people sons of bitches, especially when youre the president of the united states. A leader doesnt exhibit that kind of behavior. 

RE: Will we see players kneel? - bfine32 - 09-25-2017

The most succinct way I have ever seen it phrased is:

"The right to kneel should be reason enough to stand"

(09-25-2017, 11:11 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Except it is disrespect, or else why would they stand for the UK national anthem?  The UK has at least as bloody and racist past as the United States, so why stand for their anthem? 

The message is being lost because it was never really the message to begin with.  Kaepernick started this protest and he irrevocably tainted it with his pig cops socks, his Castro shirt/rhetoric and his racist, radical, girlfriend's tweets.  Colin made this form of protest about being anti-America, it is now forever tainted in that regard and anyone with a pair of eyes and ears is aware of that.  Participation in this form of protest carries that baggage now, do so knowing this.

Because they aren't citizens of that country and they aren't trying to speak out about current racial injustice in that country. 

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 11:20 AM)GMDino Wrote: My guess is that the difference is they are not from the UK so they are not making a statement about there.

Which puts the lie to the purported point of the protests.  Either you're protesting perceived racial injustice or you're not.  Selective outrage renders any point you're trying to make impotent.

Quote:This past Sunday was a result of the POTUS' comments.  Period.

Wait, the anthem protests started this past weekend?

Quote:The attempt to tie it directly to them somehow all supporting Kaepernick and his socks is wrong and a diversion.

I honestly wish you could comprehend more complex points, it would be far less frustrating.  I pointed out that, whatever the initial point of these protests, it is now associated, irrevocably for many, with anti-American sentiment.  You can only be responsible for you messages intent, you cannot control how it is perceived.  Kaepernick's actions have tainted this form of protest, again to many, and this isn't going to change.  So, you protest like this under this understanding.  Complaining that you're being misinterpreted is inane, the dye has been cast.

(09-25-2017, 11:37 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Because they aren't citizens of that country and they aren't trying to speak out about current racial injustice in that country. 

Got it, racial injustice is fine, as long as it doesn't occur in your country.  How very ethnocentric.

(09-25-2017, 11:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The most succinct way I have ever seen it phrased is:

"The right to kneel should be reason enough to stand"

What about "the right to kneel should be reason enough to kneel". 

Thats the problem with this entire thing, I honestly dont think there is a right or wrong answer. People are going to convey, twist, and look at this the way they want to look at it. 

(09-25-2017, 11:39 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Got it, racial injustice is fine, as long as it doesn't occur in your country.  How very ethnocentric.

Exactly. And I dont know what ethnocentric means. You're smart.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - GMDino - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 11:28 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The NFL had the opportunity to call out Kaep for his divisive comments and actions and refused. Therefore the NFL's failure to not condone his behavior made his behavior acceptable in the NFL. Like I said the NFL botched this, took sides with a player disrespecting our flag and anthem by wearing clothing that was divisive and calling police pigs. By not addressing it, the NFL allowed the platform. It will be forever associated with one man's actions, it is too late to do a do over. 

Players need to find a way to be constructive and not piss off the Patriotic base who simply despise not disrespecting our flag and all it stands for. Their message is lost and will remain lost if they keep up the protests.

There is no way to do this.

To the "Patriotic base" anything that question the legitimacy of the US of A being #1 and the greatest country God herself every created will piss them off.

[Image: 9e1fc035aa6110f48ac4e380d92a7adf.jpg]

RE: Will we see players kneel? - bfine32 - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 11:39 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What about "the right to kneel should be reason enough to kneel". 

Thats the problem with this entire thing, I honestly dont think there is a right or wrong answer. People are going to convey, twist, and look at this the way they want to look at it. 
Yesterday's response was 'The request by POTUS not to kneel, was reason to kneel"

(09-25-2017, 11:38 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Which puts the lie to the purported point of the protests.  Either you're protesting perceived racial injustice or you're not.  Selective outrage renders any point you're trying to make impotent.

Ah! Sorry. I thought you wanted to know why Americans would say something about America rather than a country they don't live in and may not know much about. Mellow

(09-25-2017, 11:38 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wait, the anthem protests started this past weekend?

No. I was directly addressing the protests from this past weekend and explicitly said so.

(09-25-2017, 11:20 AM)GMDino Wrote: This past Sunday was a result of the POTUS' comments.  Period.

(09-25-2017, 11:38 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I honestly wish you could comprehend more complex points, it would be far less frustrating.  I pointed out that, whatever the initial point of these protests, it is now associated, irrevocably for many, with anti-American sentiment.  You can only be responsible for you messages intent, you cannot control how it is perceived.  Kaepernick's actions have tainted this form of protest, again to many, and this isn't going to change.  So, you protest like this under this understanding.  Complaining that you're being misinterpreted is inane, the dye has been cast.

That entire last paragraph is simply your take on it.

And I respect that.

I am only talking about one Sunday. Yesterday. The day after the POTUS call for "the SOBS' to be fired.

If people think the protests is supporting anything else they are not paying attention to current events but rather have made up their minds about ALL protests.

(09-25-2017, 11:46 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yesterday's response was 'The request by POTUS not to kneel, was reason to kneel"

Pretty much. Yesterdays message was a completely different message being sent by the players than their original message. Which complicates and misconstrues things even further. 

(09-25-2017, 11:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Exactly. And I dont know what ethnocentric means. You're smart.

Google is here to help you, my son.

(09-25-2017, 11:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: Ah!  Sorry.  I thought you wanted to know why Americans would say something about America rather than a country they don't live in and may not know much about.  Mellow 

Either you're protesting racial injustice or you're not.  It's not that complicated.

Quote:No.  I was directly addressing the protests from this past weekend and explicitly said so.

Sure.  Unfortunately you're proving Bfine's point for him.

Quote:Bfine wrote:
Yesterday's response was 'The request by POTUS not to kneel, was reason to kneel"

Quote:That entire last paragraph is simply your take on it.

And I respect that.

I am only talking about one Sunday.  Yesterday.  The day after the POTUS call for "the SOBS' to be fired.

If people think the protests is supporting anything else they are not paying attention to current events but rather have made up their minds about ALL protests.

It's not my take, it's my pointing out why, and how, this is perceived as it is by many.  As for protesting I have only three requests; do it on your own time, do it peacefully and don't block traffic when you're doing it.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

(09-25-2017, 11:46 AM)GMDino Wrote: Ah!  Sorry.  I thought you wanted to know why Americans would say something about America rather than a country they don't live in and may not know much about.  Mellow

No.  I was directly addressing the protests from this past weekend and explicitly said so.

That entire last paragraph is simply your take on it.

And I respect that.

I am only talking about one Sunday.  Yesterday.  The day after the POTUS call for "the SOBS' to be fired.

Yet same NFL group of players and league office did not protest police being labeled as pigs. Very selective on their part.

I applaud President Trump for telling the world, protest if you must, but not on my watch will I allow you to use the flag, our military and our our police as the prop! It has nothing to do with race relations and everything to do with being a Patriot.

(09-25-2017, 11:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Either you're protesting racial injustice or you're not.  It's not that complicated.

If I kneel at my office today am I protesting racial injustice because someone else did it once?

And I don't disagree with bfine completely. The POTUS demanded people not kneel. Those same people showed him they have a right to kneel no matter what he said.

(09-25-2017, 11:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not my take, it's my pointing out why, and how, this is perceived as it is by many.  As for protesting I have only three requests; do it on your own time, do it peacefully and don't block traffic when you're doing it.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

Eh, they have a public forum they used to send a message to the POTUS. It happens in public a lot. On duty/off duty.

It would all be over if everyone didn't get upset about everything. That includes the POTUS and NFL players.

(09-25-2017, 11:34 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He has a right to voice his opinion, but his opinion was full of disrespect and venom. You cant just go around calling people sons of bitches, especially when youre the president of the united states. A leader doesnt exhibit that kind of behavior. 

President Trump is not only a leader, he is the leader of the free world. You may not like him, may not agree with him but he is a great leader or he would not have become the POTUS and been successful his entire life at anything he touched.

Like it or not, he is your leader!

(09-25-2017, 11:57 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yet same NFL group of players and league office did not protest police being labeled as pigs. Very selective on their part.

I applaud President Trump for telling the world, protest if you must, but not on my watch will I allow you to use the flag, our military and our our police as the prop! It has nothing to do with race relations and everything to do with being a Patriot.

Actually it was pigs with cop hats on.

But anyway...

[Image: image.jpg]

Do I agree with what he did? No.

But he's trying to start a conversation.  If people don't want to have it that's fine and dandy.  But there are attacking him for his method rather than his message.

I also have a problem with people who "use the flag, our military and our our police as the prop" just to get elected and to divide us by pretending there are no problems in the US that we can talk about.

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Nately120 - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 12:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: President Trump is not only a leader, he is the leader of the free world. You may not like him, may not agree with him but he is a great leader or he would not have become the POTUS and been successful his entire life at anything he touched.

Like it or not, he is your leader!

Agreed.  Trump and Hillary Clinton are both gigantic successes and great leaders or else we wouldn't have been given them as our two choices for the great leader of the free world.  People who don't like either need to realize you don't become powerful without being successful at everything you touch.  The idea that people didn't like either candidate was a joke because they are clearly both great successes and leaders.

Part of being an American is admitting that government officials are smarter, better, and more successful than you are whether you agree with them or not.

(09-25-2017, 12:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed.  Trump and Hillary Clinton are both gigantic successes and great leaders or else we wouldn't have been given them as our two choices for the great leader of the free world.  People who don't like either need to realize you don't become powerful without being successful at everything you touch.  The idea that people didn't like either candidate was a joke because they are clearly both great successes and leaders.

Part of being an American is admitting that government officials are smarter, better, and more successful than you are whether you agree with them or not.

Never question the leader!   Ninja

RE: Will we see players kneel? - Shake n Blake - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 10:26 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: With all due respect, your uncle died for this country protecting the rights and freedoms that these players are exhibiting. THATS what makes America great. People have the freedom to do this and to stand up for what they believe in. 

I am for the players kneeling. People are confused by the message being sent. The message isnt about disrespecting the flag, military, or the US, its about standing up for a racial injustice. The players themselves have come out and said its not about disrespecting the flag, its about getting their point across and standing up for this injustive. Therefore, I dont take it as disrespect. 

That being said, I think the players made a mistake in the method that have chosen to get their message out there. The message is being lost with the the method in which they chose to communicate the message. No one is even talking about why this was being done in the first place (racial injustice) and everyone is talking about how its disrespectful to our flag. The original message has been completely lost. 

KKK members have the right to burn flags and hold their rallies. Respecting those freedoms doesn't mean we have to approve or pay money to go see it.

I agree that the message has been completely lost, not that I agreed with the message in the first place. A few (mostly) accidents and a few bad apples in a nation of 323 million people
(47 million black folks) and 1.1 million officers is not worth the constant state of paranoia and fear that's being promoted.

(09-25-2017, 11:11 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Except it is disrespect, or else why would they stand for the UK national anthem?  The UK has at least as bloody and racist past as the United States, so why stand for their anthem? 

The message is being lost because it was never really the message to begin with.  Kaepernick started this protest and he irrevocably tainted it with his pig cops socks, his Castro shirt/rhetoric and his racist, radical, girlfriend's tweets.  Colin made this form of protest about being anti-America, it is now forever tainted in that regard and anyone with a pair of eyes and ears is aware of that.  Participation in this form of protest carries that baggage now, do so knowing this.

If it wasn't disrespectful, they wouldn't have chosen the anthem as their platform in the first place. They wanted maximum impact/exposure/backlash.

(09-25-2017, 11:39 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What about "the right to kneel should be reason enough to kneel". 

[Image: giphy.webp]

(09-25-2017, 12:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Actually it was pigs with cop hats on.

But anyway...

[Image: image.jpg]

That explanation is a load of crap. A PC response to quell backlash for something he knew was immature and did anyway. 

Such immature behavior (that demonizes ALL cops) is yet another reason not to respect him and also makes it easy to question his true cause.

Finding a BS way to defend that behavior only made him look worse. He should've just owned up to it and called it what it was: a stupid decision.