Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Good Night Irene - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Good Night Irene (/Thread-Good-Night-Irene--16635)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Good Night Irene - bfine32 - 09-04-2018

I will say it gives me a chance to revisit one of the funniest videos I've seen:

RE: Good Night Irene - Millhouse - 09-04-2018

I wonder if Nike will roll out some socks with pigs in police uniforms?

Or some T's with Castro's face on it saying Just Do It?

Smirk

(09-04-2018, 07:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I wonder if Nike will roll out some socks with pigs in police uniforms?

Or some T's with Castro's face on it saying Just Do It?

Smirk

Trump's comments on the thing is very unTrumplike:

“As much as I disagree with the Colin Kaepernick endorsement, in another way — I mean, I wouldn’t have done it,” Trump said. “In another way, it is what this country is all about, that you have certain freedoms to do things that other people think you shouldn’t do, but I personally am on a different side of it.”

RE: Good Night Irene - HarleyDog - 09-04-2018

(09-04-2018, 07:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I wonder if Nike will roll out some socks with pigs in police uniforms?
Smirk

No. It would anger Redskin fans. Cool

RE: Good Night Irene - GMDino - 09-04-2018

RE: Good Night Irene - Benton - 09-04-2018

(09-04-2018, 07:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure it made news; however, the brilliance of it is to be determined.

(09-04-2018, 07:04 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I dunno......what about the old cantankerous white man market? LOL

Those easily led tend to always be easily led.

They picked up a ton of free marketing across a variety of bases. The handful of people upset enough not to buy any more Nike gear are (generally) the same people who only got upset when told how upset they were. They'll come back around when they're told to.

And this isn't saying all people upset about Kaepernick's protest are easily led. There's a large portion of upset people who said "hey, this protest is dumb... time to watch the game." There were also a large portion that said "hey, this is dumb, I'm going to set fire to $600 worth of jerseys... oh $#%*! WTF did I do!? That guy I like is still wearing his jersey!"

That latter group has taken to Twitter and Facebook and given Nike countless dollars of free advertising... and they'll be wearing Nike gear just as soon as someone they want to emulate is wearing it. 

(09-04-2018, 11:22 PM)Benton Wrote: Those easily led tend to always be easily led.

They picked up a ton of free marketing across a variety of bases. The handful of people upset enough not to buy any more Nike gear are (generally) the same people who only got upset when told how upset they were. They'll come back around when they're told to.

And this isn't saying all people upset about Kaepernick's protest are easily led. There's a large portion of upset people who said "hey, this protest is dumb... time to watch the game." There were also a large portion that said "hey, this is dumb, I'm going to set fire to $600 worth of jerseys... oh $#%*! WTF did I do!? That guy I like is still wearing his jersey!"

That latter group has taken to Twitter and Facebook and given Nike countless dollars of free advertising... and they'll be wearing Nike gear just as soon as someone they want to emulate is wearing it. 

[Image: snapshot_chart_api.asp?symb=NKE]

As I said: We'll see how brilliant it is.

Personally, I'm going to diversify a little bit into Under Armor stock.

(09-04-2018, 11:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: snapshot_chart_api.asp?symb=NKE]

Should have bought before it went up.

Anyway...

(09-04-2018, 11:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: Should have bought before it went up.

Anyway...

Meh, I've been with UA for a while due to their relationship with the Military.

All I can do is provide the advise. Feel free to buy into Nike.

[Image: 40889523_1745529295545246_37071237722606...e=5BF16CB1]

(09-04-2018, 11:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: 40889523_1745529295545246_37071237722606...e=5BF16CB1]

https://www.gq.com/story/pat-till-widow-no-anti-kaepernick-stunts

Quote:On Monday, Nike announced the face of the thirtieth anniversary of its iconic "Just Do It" campaign: GQ's own Citizen of the Year, Colin Kaepernick. And as with every other time Kaepernick has earned an accolade, Donald Trump's supporters lost their damn minds.

In this case, right-wing doofuses across the Internet started angrily tweeting that Nike should instead have chosen former Arizona Cardinal Pat Tillman, who died in Afghanistan from friendly fire in 2004. It's the kind of hiding-behind-vets technique that's commonly used when political leaders want to avoid or deflect criticism, but unfortunately Tillman's family wants no part of it. And we know this because Trump already tried a year ago to drag Tillman into his attacks on NFL players like Kaepernick who protest police brutality. At the time, Tillman's widow, Marie, issued a statement to CNN asking, in extremely non-confrontational language, that Trump knock it off. Per CNN:

Quote:"As a football player and soldier, Pat inspired countless Americans to unify," Marie said. "It is my hope that his memory should always remind people that we must come together."

Quote:"Pat's service, along with that of every man and woman's service, should never be politicized in a way that divides us. We are too great of a country for that," she wrote, subtly invoking Trump's "make America great again" slogan.

Quote:"Those that serve fight for the American ideals of freedom, justice and democracy," she wrote. "They and their families know the cost of that fight. I know the very personal costs in a way I feel acutely every day. The very action of self expression and the freedom to speak from one's heart — no matter those views — is what Pat and so many other Americans have given their lives for. Even if they didn't always agree with those views."

Quote:Tillman's statement concluded: "It is my sincere hope that our leaders both understand and learn from the lessons of Pat's life and death, and also those of so many other brave Americans."

This isn't the first time Kaepernick's critics have scrambled to find a white athlete they think is more deserving of praise, nor is it the first time that family members have asked the president and his supporters to please, for the love of God, stop hijacking the memory of their dead relatives.

Classy bfine.

RE: Good Night Irene - Benton - 09-05-2018

(09-04-2018, 11:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: snapshot_chart_api.asp?symb=NKE]

That’s mostly due to Nike being in danger of losing some of its cheap labor. It also doesn’t reflect that the brand has been dipping some in the us but growing a lot internationally.

In six months, people will be reposting the image of Tillman with nikes logo, all for the price of Collin kaepernick.

RE: Good Night Irene - bfine32 - 09-05-2018

(09-04-2018, 11:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.gq.com/story/pat-till-widow-no-anti-kaepernick-stunts

Classy bfine.

Thanks. I thought it was as well. The audacity of Nike to use someone on their payroll as someone that has sacrificed everything is 2funny.

As to Tillman; I'll always respect him as someone who sacrificed everything for something he believed in.

(09-05-2018, 12:03 AM)Benton Wrote: That’s mostly due to Nike being in danger of losing some of its cheap labor. It also doesn’t reflect that the brand has been dipping some in the us but growing a lot internationally.

In six months, people will be reposting the image of Tillman with nikes logo, all for the price of Collin kaepernick.

Ahhh... it was just a coincidence. As I said. Feel free to buy stock in their brilliance. 

RE: Good Night Irene - GMDino - 09-05-2018

(09-05-2018, 12:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks. I thought it was as well. The audacity of Nike to use someone on their payroll as someone that has sacrificed everything is 2funny.

As to Tillman; I'll always respect him as someone who sacrificed everything for something he believed in.

And use his image to advance your political beliefs against the wishes of his family while singing the blues for any perceived personal slight.

Sad.

Pitiful.

Hypocritical.

RE: Good Night Irene - CKwi88 - 09-05-2018

(09-04-2018, 11:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: 40889523_1745529295545246_37071237722606...e=5BF16CB1]

.....his own platoon?

(09-05-2018, 12:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: And use his image to advance your political beliefs against the wishes of his family while singing the blues for any perceived personal slight.

Sad.

Pitiful.

Hypocritical.

Swing and a miss.

I've never used Tillman as a pawn in kneeling. I did use it to show the irony of Nike selecting Kap as an athlete who sacrificed everything. I'm not sure we've gotten the family's feedback on that.

I get the feigning insolence, but it doesn't fit here.

RE: Good Night Irene - fredtoast - 09-05-2018

(09-05-2018, 12:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I've never used Tillman as a pawn in kneeling. I did use it to show the irony of Nike selecting Kap as an athlete who sacrificed everything. I'm not sure we've gotten the family's feedback on that.

Yes we have

"Pat's service, along with that of every man and woman's service, should never be politicized in a way that divides us."

Yesterday you were ripping the family of war hero John McCain to protect your boy, now you are trying to twist the words of the family of war hero Pat Tilman to protect the draft dodger.   What did it take to get you to turn on military families?  A free MAGA hat?

RE: Good Night Irene - Nately120 - 09-05-2018

Man oh man, the notion of using dead veterans as marketing spokespersons (spokespeople?) is the most gloriously cynical thing I can think of.

RE: Good Night Irene - BmorePat87 - 09-05-2018

(09-04-2018, 07:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say it gives me a chance to revisit one of the funniest videos I've seen:

I love his videos. My favorite are "the Hacker".