Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
A SCOTUS Opening - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: A SCOTUS Opening (/Thread-A-SCOTUS-Opening)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - bfine32 - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 05:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: How many words is a audio recording admitting sexual assault worth? 

uuuuuhhhhhmmmmm.......as many as recorded. Is that a trick question?

As to the point: Is it sexual assault if they allow you to do it?

(09-23-2020, 05:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, why bother? The back and forth just reinforces what we have been saying.

It definitely reinforces something.

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - GMDino - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 05:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: uuuuuhhhhhmmmmm.......as many as recorded. Is that a trick question?

Is it a sexual assault when the woman says it is and the man fights to keep his DNA from being used which would prove it didn't happen as he said?

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - jj22 - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 05:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: uuuuuhhhhhmmmmm.......as many as recorded. Is that a trick question?

20+women didn't really approve of it. Nor did the teenage girls he walked in the dressing room of.

(09-23-2020, 05:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: 20+women didn't really approve of it. Nor did the teenage girls he walked in the dressing room of.

As I said: A picture is worth a 1000 words. Any photos of Trump grabbing to 20+ women against their consent?

I was asserted that open-minded Liberals hold their candidates to higher moral standard than hypocritical Conservatives and someone brought up Franken as Exhibit A.

I pointed out, that the big difference was because there was a photo. Do you think Franken would have been required to step down if there was just an allegation?

Don't answer that it was rhetorical

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - jj22 - 09-23-2020

my rhetorical questions really triggered you huh. you keep trying to use it back at me.

But yea, I'll judge the guy who admits to it.

Pictures are worth 1000 words for a reason (multiple way to interpret). Funny you use that saying as you clearly don't realize what it means. Here's a hint, the saying means it can be taken in many different directions, unlike an audio that the person flat out admits to it.

So yea, a pic is worth 1000 words. But you need 1000 when you have to use interpretations.

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Dill - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 04:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: By itself? Maybe not. But, you gotta admit, crying for impeachment before he's sworn in and then actually moving forward with impeachment sure does look shady, does it not?

I'd say no. In any case, the ones "crying for impeachment etc." are not the ones who actually brought impeachment charges.

What every voter ought to be looking at during an impeachment is whether evidence supports the charges. Same as a court case.

If there is evidence that someone accused of a bank robbery actually committed it, like a phone conversation and a video, then it matters not if the prosecutors had it in for the the robber before he robbed the back. 

Nothing looks "shady" if the evidence is there.

In this case, the people who were crying for impeachment were so precisely because Trump's previous dishonest behavior made him unfit for office.

Why should that previous recognition of unfitness make the impeachment look "shady" when the charges show the warnings to be well founded? 

(09-23-2020, 05:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: A picture is worth a 1000 words. Any photos of Trump grabbing to 20+ women against their consent?

I was asserted that open-minded Liberals hold their candidates to higher moral standard than hypocritical Conservatives and someone brought up Franken as Exhibit A.

I pointed out, that the big difference was because there was a photo. Do you think Franken would have been required to step down if there was just an allegation?

Don't answer that it was rhetorical

Quite possible he'd have stepped down.   And the Hollywood Access tape is every bit the equivalent of the Franken picture.

Further, it's not always about "stepping down." 

Even if no one can make a candidate step down, there is still the question of whether and to what degree the party condemns such actions, whether a candidate is pressured to apologize--and does--and whether other social costs may be exacted. 

Before Trump there was some chance that Republicans would condemn sexual misconduct--even allegations thereof--in one of their politicians. I mentioned the examples of Cain and Gingrich above.

After Trump that is difficult, because you'd be condemning one of your own on evidence that should convict your unapologetic party leader.

Few are willing to do that, in part out fear of Trump's retaliation. This is another way in which Trump lowers standards, from the top down.

(09-23-2020, 05:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: my rhetorical questions really triggered you huh. you keep trying to use it back at me.

But yea, I'll judge the guy who admits to it.

Pictures are worth 1000 words for a reason (multiple way to interpret). Funny you use that saying as you clearly don't realize what it means. Here's a hint, the saying means it can be taken in many different directions, unlike an audio that the person flat out admits to it.

So yea, a pic is worth 1000 words. But you need 1000 when you have to use interpretations.

(09-23-2020, 06:06 PM)Dill Wrote: Quite possible he'd have stepped down.   And the Hollywood Access tape is every bit the equivalent of the Franken picture.

Further, it's not always about "stepping down." 

Even if no one can make a candidate step down, there is still the question of whether and to what degree the party condemns such actions, whether a candidate is pressured to apologize--and does--and whether other social costs may be exacted. 

Before Trump there was some chance that Republicans would condemn sexual misconduct--even allegations thereof--in one of their politicians. I mentioned the examples of Cain and Gingrich above.

After Trump that is difficult, because you'd be condemning one of your own on evidence that should convict your unapologetic party leader.

Few are willing to do that, in part out fear of Trump's retaliation. This is another way in which Trump lowers standards, from the top down.

You guys are doing a crappy job of showing how Dems hold theirs to a higher standard than the GOP hold theirs.

Pretty sure all you're showing is the Dems hold the GOP to a higher standard than they do theirs.

Trump stating that there are women that let you grab them is no way as damning as a photo of Franken actually doing it to a sleeping woman. It is what the difference was. 

What would be your reaction if Trump told black folks that if you don't vote for him, you ain't really black?

But you guys keep holding yours to a higher standard.

(09-23-2020, 04:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The one's that the GOP are more forgiving of:

Kavanaugh

Trump

come to mind. 

Ok, then regarding that "difference" you asked about.

The main one is that Kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court and Trump is president.

Franken is back in Minnesota.

(09-23-2020, 06:13 PM)Dill Wrote: Ok, then regarding that "difference" you asked about.

The main one is that Kavanaugh is on the Supreme Court and Trump is president.

Franken is back in Minnesota.

So as I asserted:

bfine32 Wrote:I mean other than him been a "held to a higher standard" Dem.

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 06:06 PM)Dill Wrote:  And the Hollywood Access tape is every bit the equivalent of the Franken picture.

These types of posts have steadily eaten away at your credibility of late.  I say this as a person who knows a woman that Trump groped at a party and then laughed about it, so I'm not defending Trump.  I'm pointing out how absurd this statement is.  I really think the hyper partisanship of the current day is affecting you and I'm not saying that facetiously.  

(09-23-2020, 06:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You guys are doing a crappy job of showing how Dems hold theirs to a higher standard than the GOP hold theirs.

Pretty sure all you're showing is the Dems hold the GOP to a higher standard than they do theirs.

Trump stating that there are women that let you grab them is no way as damning as a photo of Franken actually doing it to a sleeping woman. It is what the difference was. 

But  you guys keep holding yours to a higher standard.

Hmmm. Franken out of office while Trump is president shows the Dems only hold the GOP to a higher standard? 

That certainly shows the Repubs don't hold theirs to a higher standard. And because Dems won't have a candidate like Trump, that shows we do.

Franken, by the way, is pretending to grab a fellow comedian in the picture, who as part of her routine allowed other performers to grab her ass on stage. It was the absence of consent that really decided the issue here--equally absent in the case of Trump's actually grabbing women because he could, and not pretending. You don't think Franken would have been booted for the Hollywood Access tape--plus 23 other separate allegations of rape/assault? It had to be a picture?

I could mention others who have certainly paid a price--like Justin Fairfax, Lt. Gov. of VA. When two rape allegations surfaced, he decided to remain in office, and was promptly placed on leave from his job, booted from his board position at Duke University, forced to resign from the Dem Lt Governor's association, and LOUDLY condemned by virtually every serving member of the Dem House and Senate.  

Repubs respond to the record number of allegations against Trump by chalking all that up to "Trump hate."

(09-23-2020, 06:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What would be your reaction if Trump told black folks that if you don't vote for him, you're not really black?

UTTER BAFFLEMENT!

You are not "black" if you don't vote for the guy who wouldn't let black people rent his apartments? Say What

The guy who doesn't want immigration from "shithole" countries--like that one Obama came from?  Shocked

Imagine that a trending retweet that on #whitegenocide.Popcorn

(09-23-2020, 06:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: These types of posts have steadily eaten away at your credibility of late.  I say this as a person who knows a woman that Trump groped at a party and then laughed about it, so I'm not defending Trump.  I'm pointing out how absurd this statement is.  I really think the hyper partisanship of the current day is affecting you and I'm not saying that facetiously.  

You are not "pointing out" anything except your own feelings about my credibility. 

But your feelings aren't evidence that actually discounts the asserted equivalence or establish it as absurd and/or "hyperpartisan." 

To do that, you need to focus on evidence for or against the equivalence, 

explain why it is credible to suppose that Franken or Biden or any Democrat holding federal office could survive the Hollywood access tape, were they in Trump's position. 

Or conversely, why is it credible to suppose Trump would not survive a picture of a pretend-grope among voters who don't seem to care much if he really gropes, voters who never take Trump literally, who always know that he is "really joking" when the libs don't.

(09-23-2020, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So as I asserted:

You've lost me now. 

I'll continue if you can directly specify what difference you were asking about.

Name the who and the what on each supposed side of the difference.

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 07:18 PM)Dill Wrote: You are not "pointing out" anything except your own feelings about my credibility. 

But your feelings aren't evidence that actually discounts the asserted equivalence or establish it as absurd and/or "hyperpartisan." 

To do that, you need to focus on evidence for or against the equivalence, 

explain why it is credible to suppose that Franken or Biden or any Democrat holding federal office could survive the Hollywood access tape, were they in Trump's position. 

Or conversely, why is it credible to suppose Trump would not survive a picture of a pretend-grope among voters who don't seem to care much if he really gropes, voters who never take Trump literally, who always know when he is "really joking."

Once again, it's ok when Dill uses his opinion to prove a point, but you do not extend the same courtesy to others.  Unless you agree with them of course.  No amount of ten paragraph responses will change this basic fact btw.

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Benton - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 04:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I know, but it felt like you were saying that way 'cause you didn't like agreeing with what I said.  Whatever

Smirk

By itself? Maybe not. But, you gotta admit, crying for impeachment before he's sworn in and then actually moving forward with impeachment sure does look shady, does it not?

From who? Half a dozen folks trying to endorse their brand or score political points?

Example to the extreme: there were lots of folks split over us entering wwII. Some were vocal early on, most not until there was "cause" after pearl harbor. Did the early calls mean we shouldn't have done it after there was just cause?

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Dill - 09-24-2020

(09-23-2020, 07:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Once again, it's ok when Dill uses his opinion to prove a point, but you do not extend the same courtesy to others.  Unless you agree with them of course.  No amount of ten paragraph responses will change this basic fact btw.

Hmmpf. Clear enough you cannot explain why my equivalence between the Franken photo and the Access tape is "absurd," though I've offered you an outline on how to do that, if it is possible.  

And you'd like to make that deflection really about some dill double standard.   So a few notes on the dodge: 

I haven't "used my opinion to prove a point."  And it is not an "opinion" that proves a point--if "point" means the conclusion of a sound argument.

I once again asked you to support a claim with evidence other than your feelings. I.e., something other than "opinion."

Once again, you won't/can't do that.  

People who see no difference between arguments and opinions respond as you do. As if all "opinions" are equal and everyone has a right to one. Then the demand for external evidence and rational support is unfair. Discourteous. A double standard. Ok for me to use my supported "opinion" (in a ten paragraph post organizing external evidence) but not for you to use your unsupported impressions.

I asked you to move beyond "opinion," turn your claim into a sound argument supported by something other than impressions.

But you wouldn't go there. 

And that's what this is really about. Twice in two days now you've stood up for your right to accuse without support.  Because you don't want to write a "ten paragraph post", i.e., show your work.  

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 12:02 AM)Dill Wrote: Hmmpf. Clear enough you cannot explain why my equivalence between the Franken photo and the Access tape is "absurd," though I've offered you an outline on how to do that, if it is possible.  

And you'd like to make that deflection really about some dill double standard.   So a few notes on the dodge: 

I haven't "used my opinion to prove a point."  And it is not an "opinion" that proves a point--if "point" means the conclusion of a sound argument.

I once again asked you to support a claim with evidence other than your feelings. I.e., something other than "opinion."

Once again, you won't/can't do that.  

People who see no difference between arguments and opinions respond as you do. As if all "opinions" are equal and everyone has a right to one. Then the demand for external evidence and rational support is unfair. Discourteous. A double standard. Ok for me to use my supported "opinion" (in a ten paragraph post organizing external evidence) but not for you to use your unsupported impressions.

I asked you to move beyond "opinion," turn your claim into a sound argument supported by something other than impressions.

But you wouldn't go there. 

And that's what this is really about. Twice in two days now you've stood up for your right to accuse without support.  Because you don't want to write a "ten paragraph post", i.e., show your work.  

That's a lot of words to say, "It's ok when I do it".

RE: A SCOTUS Opening - Dill - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 12:57 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's a lot of words to say, "It's ok when I do it".

And if you didn't understand what those words say, you wouldn't be trying to mis-characterize them and change the subject.

I'll sum it up in two points:

1. you cannot explain why my equivalence between the Franken photo and the Access tape is "absurd," as you claimed, and

2. Instead of conceding the point, you re-assert your right to accuse without support--a "courtesy" you don't extend to others.

So yes, it IS ok when I support claims with evidence and rational argument. 

Ok when you do it too.  In fact I'd rather you did.