Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Legal tampering period - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Legal tampering period (/Thread-Legal-tampering-period)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Legal tampering period - SunsetBengal - 03-13-2023

(03-13-2023, 09:22 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, I still think there's a chance that this can pan out.  There's some logic to the road they're going down.  Jesse's deal was a non-starter here.  He just wasn't a guy they were ever going to sink that kind of coin into.  It's another symptom of having a lot of really good players and not being able to keep all of them forever.  On a shittier Bengal roster, he'd have been a must-sign.  Well, idk.  His agent was kind of a prick.

I'm a huge Bell fan, but if you told me it would take 10 mil per to retain him I'd have passed too.  

I feel like the best path might be for Hill to replace Bell.  Find a free safety to fill in Bates' role, and move forward.  Dax may not be on Bell's level yet, but I think his ceiling is much higher than Vonn's.  

On a less positive note, this sucks for Lou Anarumo.  He's tasked with replacing both safeties while already being saddled with good but not great corners, the best one being a huge question mark due to injury.  He'll have his work cut out for him getting the new-look secondary up to speed vs a loaded AFC.

His stock as a head coaching candidate could take a massive hit if this defense drops off and the magic isn't there anymore.  They don't exactly generate a ton of pressure, so they will need whoever steps in to cover extensively.

That's it right there.  Good Safeties cost less than good CBs, and having good Safeties makes average CBs viable.  Losing both good Safeties puts the defense in a very precarious position.  A position not typically solved by plugging in even the best of rookies, it's going to take signing a vet that develops instant chemistry with the house as it stands, a tall order.

RE: Legal tampering period - Luvnit2 - 03-13-2023

(03-13-2023, 09:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A vet like me has seen this movie before, it doesn't end well for the protagonist..

In middle of March??????

Crazy fans going off the deep end when we have no idea of the finished product. Same crap, different year. Many were pissed day one of tampering a year ago too.

I have patience and trust in our FO and our head coach. They know what they want and I believe they will build another winner.

RE: Legal tampering period - samhain - 03-13-2023

(03-13-2023, 09:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's it right there.  Good Safeties cost less than good CBs, and having good Safeties makes average CBs viable.  Losing both good Safeties puts the defense in a very precarious position.  A position not typically solved by plugging in even the best of rookies, it's going to take signing a vet that develops instant chemistry with the house as it stands, a tall order.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from.  I think some took Bell and Bates for granted.  It's not a stretch to say that this team had the best safety tandem in the league or close to it for 3 straight seasons.  You don't fix that with retreads and rookies.  At least not right away.  Having those two back there covered up some of the other shortcomings on the defense, ie the aforementioned lack of pressure, not to mention keeping the deep ball in check vs guys like Mahomes and Allen.  

Lou runs crazy disguised coverages.  Losing the experience those guys had will be a challenge.  Better hope Dax is as advertised.

RE: Legal tampering period - cinci4life - 03-13-2023

Seems Mike Hilton and Zach Carter are trying to recruit C.J. Gardner Johnson.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/3/13/23638421/eagles-news-cj-gardner-johnson-bengals-jessie-bates-vonn-bell?fbclid=IwAR3T8Vx8bh4-1UMwf3Mz73bg-XmZ4HHeRjJQtqO_9DexzlbJsjkyAvCydmI

(03-13-2023, 10:05 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Seems Mike Hilton and Zach Carter are trying to recruit C.J. Gardner Johnson.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/3/13/23638421/eagles-news-cj-gardner-johnson-bengals-jessie-bates-vonn-bell?fbclid=IwAR3T8Vx8bh4-1UMwf3Mz73bg-XmZ4HHeRjJQtqO_9DexzlbJsjkyAvCydmI

I think my son mentioned that he already agreed to a deal in principle with some other team.

RE: Legal tampering period - 007BengalsFan - 03-13-2023

(03-13-2023, 09:22 PM)samhain Wrote: ...I'm a huge Bell fan, but if you told me it would take 10 mil per to retain him I'd have passed too...

except Bell signed for a little over 7 million

RE: Legal tampering period - WVUHomer - 03-13-2023

(03-13-2023, 04:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd be stoked for two guys in the draft who I think not only can catch, but they're stud blockers too.
Darnell Washington in Rd 1
Payne Durham on Day 3 (likely Rd 5 or 6).

Durham can be exactly what we envisioned Sample to be.

Just here to promote my support of Durham.  Rock On

(03-13-2023, 10:18 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: except Bell signed for a little over 7 million

Which speaks more to the line of "we're going younger and cheaper", which will cost the team plenty while new talent is developed or newly acquired talent gets fitted to the system.  CBs are going to be fully exposed this season.

RE: Legal tampering period - Nepa - 03-13-2023

(03-13-2023, 09:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  Many were pissed day one of tampering a year ago too.

On day one of tampering one year ago, on the Monday, they landed both Karras and Cappa. I don't think any Bengals fans were pissed that day.

(03-13-2023, 10:51 PM)Nepa Wrote: On day one of tampering one year ago, on the Monday, they landed both Karras and Cappa. I don't think any Bengals fans were pissed that day.

Not this Bengal fan, that's for sure.  This year...not so much.

RE: Legal tampering period - cinci4life - 03-13-2023

Bears aren't stopping. DeMarcus Walker agrees to a 3 year deal with them.

RE: Legal tampering period - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-13-2023

Frankly, I do not get all the doom.

Everyone expected Bates to leave. He did.

Most people expected Pratt to leave, he stayed on a very reasonable deal.

Most expected Bell to stay, he left. On a fair deal. It sucks, but it just cancels out Pratt staying. And Bell is a better run stuffer than cover guy.

We lost 2 of those 3. Hill is gonna start. We have lots of cap room. We are not gonna be sitting on $35 mil in cap space for long. I could see Hill taking Bell's spot & us spending in a CF FS type to replace Bates.

RE: Legal tampering period - Luvnit2 - 03-14-2023

(03-13-2023, 11:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Frankly, I do not get all the doom.

Most expected Bell to stay, he left. On a fair deal. It sucks, but it just cancels out Pratt staying. And Bell is a better run stuffer than cover guy.

We lost 2 of those 3. Hill is gonna start. We have lots of cap room. We are not gonna be sitting on $35 mil in cap space for long. I could see Hill taking Bell's spot & us spending in a CF FS type to replace Bates.

No gloom and doom for me. I trust Duke, Katie and Zac to fill the roster well in 2023 and beyond. Rome was not built in a day so less than 12 hours into the legal tampering period of FA, I have no worries.

RE: Legal tampering period - Au165 - 03-14-2023

I wonder what the market for Poyer is coming off injury?

RE: Legal tampering period - phil413 - 03-14-2023

(03-14-2023, 12:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: I wonder what the market for Poyer is coming off injury?

Posted in another thread that he may make a lot of sense as a bridge safety.  They didn't rush to land a replacement safety out of desperation like they moved quickly for Hendrickson for instance.  Have to think they're happy to let the market settle in hopes of a ring chasing vet or a guy that's agent overplayed his hand and they need a one year showcase deal.  

RE: Legal tampering period - TheLeonardLeap - 03-14-2023

(03-13-2023, 11:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Frankly, I do not get all the doom.

Ehhhh.... 

Good full time player > good part time player

...also, if they lost Pratt, they still had Wilson as their best LB. By losing Bell, now we are relying on Dax Hill to be our best safety. 

RE: Legal tampering period - TheLeonardLeap - 03-14-2023

(03-14-2023, 12:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: I wonder what the market for Poyer is coming off injury?

He is stated to want to play somewhere warm and with low taxes. Florida teams, Texas teams, Nevada. Tennessee if they weren't seemingly tanking.

RE: Legal tampering period - BuildTheWall - 03-14-2023

If Minnesota (who appears to be undergoing a youth movement of sorts) lets go of Harrison Smith, let the potential HOFer ring chase here. He may be starting to age but he's one of the smartest players I've ever seen. Would be a perfect mentor to Dax and good veteran leadership.

RE: Legal tampering period - 007BengalsFan - 03-14-2023

(03-13-2023, 10:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which speaks more to the line of "we're going younger and cheaper", which will cost the team plenty while new talent is developed or newly acquired talent gets fitted to the system.  CBs are going to be fully exposed this season.

Von Bell is 28 years old and signed for a little over 7 million per year.  How much younger and cheaper can we get for a good safety?

RE: Legal tampering period - ochocincos - 03-14-2023

(03-13-2023, 06:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am gonna disagree on Anderson. I mean, I would not want to depend on him, but we traded up to get him and he is VERY athletic. He ran 4.36 last year. He is gonna be raw. But I think there is some good material there. 

And that's fair, but if the Bengals go into TC with Hill, Anderson, Thomas, and Wilson, that's bold IMO.
I doubt one of those guys (likely Wilson) isn't kicked to the curb when all is said and done, and they bring in someone with some more proven ability.