Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Do we live in a Rape Culture? (/Thread-Do-we-live-in-a-Rape-Culture)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Brownshoe - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 11:20 AM)GMDino Wrote: When guys are still saying "she asked for it" "she was dressed like a hooker" "she was drunk but she didn't say no".

You know...all the stuff in this thread.

ThumbsUp

No one said "she asked for it" or that she deserved to be raped because "she was dressed like a hooker" or that "she was drunk but she didn't say no".... Man... that fantasy world you live in must be crazy.

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - GMDino - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 11:23 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: No one said "she asked for it" or that she deserved to be raped because "she was dressed like a hooker" or that "she was drunk but she didn't say no".... Man... that fantasy world you live in must be crazy.

Sure they did.

They said how she is dressed "like a hooker" should count against her accusation.  they said if she isn't blacked out she isn't too drunk to say no.  

They "she asked for it" it just the implied from the other two.

Do we have a rape culture?

Well, we sure have folks who want to be able to have sex and then say she wanted it even if she didn't know she did.

In this thread.

(05-10-2016, 11:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: Sure they did.

They said how she is dressed "like a hooker" should count against her accusation.  they said if she isn't blacked out she isn't too drunk to say no.  

They "she asked for it" it just the implied from the other two.

Do we have a rape culture?

Well, we sure have folks who want to be able to have sex and then say she wanted it even if she didn't know she did.

In this thread.

From the article you linked earlier. "Incapacitation is a state beyond drunkenness or intoxication". So, that article is pretty much saying if you're not black out drunk you can still give consent. One person in the thread did say if they dressed like a hooker then it should count against her accusation, which I don't believe in, but that is no way even close to rape culture or saying she asked for it. You just are stretching the truth to try and fit your narrative of a fantasy world where there's a rape culture.

No one is this thread wants to be able to have sex and then say she wanted it even if she didn't know she did. That's silly. You just like making straw man arguments when your argument doesn't hold any weight. It has been shown over and over that we don't live in a rape culture, but you just keep ignoring the facts. It's kind of comical really.

(05-10-2016, 11:08 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 85k reported cases of rape a year in the US according to the FBI. An estimated 68% of rape is never reported according to the DOJ. That's roughly one forcible rape every 1.98 minutes.

That's just rape, not sexual assault. 

That doesn't mean that every 2 seconds a woman gets raped in America. There is a rape every 1.98 seconds in America, but it's not being done only to women.

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - BmorePat87 - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 11:51 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: That doesn't mean that every 2 seconds a woman gets raped in America. There is a rape every 1.98 seconds in America, but it's not being done only to women.

minutes not seconds, but, I see what you're trying to do here. 

Ok, so 9% of sexual assault and rape victims are male. Let's say it's 9% for just rape too. That means somewhere in the US, a WOMAN gets raped every 2.17 minutes...

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Rotobeast - 05-10-2016

So.....now we are at the opinion that a couple of drinks completely wipes out the ability of a female to consent.
However, a male with the same BAC should be regarded as completely coherent and have the full ability of determining the state of the female.

SEXIST!

People jump all over someone here for speaking their opinion about transfolks when they've only met maybe one, but guys with less than a handful of sexual partners (sometimes only one or two) are lecturing on female sexuality and determining when they should be taken seriously.
Poor fragile waifs....
Next cologne will be illegal, because she can't control her faculties around it.
And God forbid if the cologne had alcohol in it.
Oooh you drugged her with your cologne, you rapist !

Seriously....I've put in the damn fieldwork.
I've been with just under 40 women and about 65% of those had alcohol in the equation.
Want to know how I know that I didn't rape them (because simply stating it, I'd still be defined a rapist), 90% of them came back to ME for MORE.
The fact is that if a court cannot determine the BAC of someone, then you cannot expect an individual with an elevated BAC to make that determination (unless the person is fall-down drunk).

And before it gets beat in the ground against me, no I do not think a woman is ever "asking for it" unless she LITERALLY is.
Regarding how a woman dresses (as I've stated before), she could be bent over a park bench, naked, with a tube of lube balanced on her ass-cheeks, and she STILL isn't "asking for it".

[Image: 66300862.jpg]

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - StLucieBengal - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 10:32 AM)Benton Wrote: It's ironic that there's people who have no issue with a guy having sex with a girl not in full control of her faculties, but do have an issue with two fully sober people touching matching junk.

Who has a problem with that?   They are responsible for their own salvation. 

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Benton - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 12:50 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: So.....now we are at the opinion that a couple of drinks completely wipes out the ability of a female to consent.

I've been with just under 40 women and about 65% of those had alcohol in the equation.
Want to know how I know that I didn't rape them (because simply stating it, I'd still be defined a rapist), 90% of them came back to ME for MORE.

To the first, I think the idea is there's not a good, discernible line. Like, two drinks and this person can make an informed, cognizant decision; one drink and this person can't. So some people look at it as a general rule: if you've drunk too much to operate a car, you've drunk too much to operate your baby maker. It's different for everyone.

To the second, when you're paying them, it doesn't count. Mellow

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - Rotobeast - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 01:10 PM)Benton Wrote: To the first, I think the idea is there's not a good, discernible line. Like, two drinks and this person can make an informed, cognizant decision; one drink and this person can't. So some people look at it as a general rule: if you've drunk too much to operate a car, you've drunk too much to operate your baby maker. It's different for everyone.

To the second, when you're paying them, it doesn't count. Mellow

To your 1st....
I totally agree and understand.
It is why we are all into the thread, this many pages.
Everyone is wired different, so how do we come up with "rules of engagement" ?

I just want to speak up, as I lived the party life for 12 years straight, almost every night.
I have a shit-ton of experience on the subject, participation and observation (up to a certain point, of course).

Second point, I guess that's why they came back.
Tongue

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - fredtoast - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 02:42 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: And yet you can't show me one case that it's not on my side. The biggest thing is if the person consented then you don't need to "reasonably believe that they consent to the act" because you know they consented to it.

consent to sex and consent to a contract is a false equivalence because one is a spur of the moment thing, and the other is a legally binding agreement that is premeditated. One will imprison someone for having consensual sex and the other one will just void a contract.

1.  I can not show you a case because the law has just recently evolved.  Why do you think they would remove that language if there was not a change in the law?

2.  You don't have a clue about contract law.  A binding contract does not have to be "premeditated" at all.  There just has to be an intent to form a contract.  

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - fredtoast - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 10:33 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: And that article proves what? she was blackout drunk and it even says it. lol, did you even read it?

So you are back to thinking that as long as the woman claims she blacked out that is all that is necessary.  But what happens if the guy says she consented (LIKE HE DID IN THIS CASE) but the victim claims she does not remember?  

While you keep saying that "drunken consent is consent" the guy that got convicted here would disagree with you.

So what do you tell him?

RE: Do we live in a Rape Culture? - THE Bigzoman - 05-10-2016

(05-05-2016, 08:05 AM)xxlt Wrote: 1. Good clarification on what rape culture means. ThumbsUp

2. If you have to ask (OP) and you hint at or outright slander feminists and other men and women in your question, chances are you have a perception problem. It is sort of like asking why all those ignorant colored folks made such a big fuss about having to ride in the back of the bus, when we all know that is where the best seats are. Or, it is sort of like asking why those dumb Jews still moan about a few people being given "special" treatment for few years such long time ago in a country far, far away. I would humbly suggest you try to broaden your perspective. A starting place might be here: http://www.amazon.com/Split-Child-Priest-Catholic-Church/dp/0989656322/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462446050&sr=1-1&keywords=split+by+mary+dispenza

Seriously. Please put aside my somewhat harsh words above and click the link. If you are willing to read this book it might be helpful. I think it might be helpful because you are going to be reading about the rape of a child. You may find a seven year old girl a more sympathetic figure than an adult woman, and in turn might be able to see rape from a different perspective.

3. I disagree about our legal system, but I confess I only worked around it for about 15 years. Still, I can tell you rapists and sex offenders often are not prosecuted at all, their victims are often treated poorly by the legal system, and when they are prosecuted and convicted the sentences that are imposed are generally very mild relative to other crimes.

A sharp disagreement with a feminist idea isn't hinting at or  outright slandering feminists. I'd suggest getting more experience in the law field if you actually believe that.

I can already see that any discussion with you in this topic is going to be non-productive.
What the shit?

I'm not going to go out of my way to read your link and find your argument. Your words at me addresses absolutely nothing in my OP. Nothing. Perhaps you could address what I said?

(05-05-2016, 07:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

Our legal system takes it very seriously.

"Rape culture" refers to men still thinking a woman is "asking for it" when she dresses the "wrong" way or is too drunk to say no clearly.

You're minimizing the actual definition of Rape Culture to an event that proponents claim is indicative of rape culture to make your point.

For those that are actually interested in discussing it as a concept: Here's the definition straight out of Wikipedia.

"..rape culture is a setting in which rape is normalized due to societal attitudes towards gender and sexuality. Behaviours commonely associated with rape culture is objectification, trivalisizing rape, denial of widespread rape, refusing to acknowledge the harm cause by rape, or some combinations of all listed behaviours."

I love how denial of widespread rape is evidence of rape culture. Talk about a catch-22.

(05-06-2016, 01:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: Again the simple fact that people think like this leads me to believe we do indeed have a rape culture.

Not that men feel free to rape and think they can get away with it, but that men want to complain that women have an "advantage".

Gender issues aren't binary.

Men have advantages in some respects; women have advantages in some respect.

Not even going to get into your "People saying there isn't a rape culture=rape culture" is just you begging the question.

(05-06-2016, 02:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Original post....saying rape is just a figment produced by women and SJW's.

My initial response: Too many people still think there should be excuses for rape other than she said no.

Since then:

After three pages of "poor men" and excuses I said:

It continues:

Yes they are.  They are saying women have some kind of unfair advantage because they can claim rape if the sex wasn't good enough or some other fantasy of the male ego. They are saying a woman claiming she is raped has it too easy and we need to see all the other factors like how she was dressed, if they were BOTH drinking, etc.

So I go back to my first response:

And add to that men who think women just claim rape if the sex was bad and they don't want to be "embarrassed".

I said feminists and SJWs.  I didn't say woman. Though i'm not surpised that you conflate the two as if they're the same thing.

(05-09-2016, 09:56 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: One does not need to be "black out drunk" to be mentally incapacitated. It doesn't take nearly that amount to cause people to lose their logical functions and often make decisions they would not have made otherwise. This is why it is illegal to even be in public while intoxicated.

Spoken like t someone who hasn't had a drop of alchoal in their life.

The things people do while drunk aren't things that they otherwise wouldn't do when sober. They're actions that people want to do, bur didn't when sober because of insecurities, societal norms, and other restraints.

That's kind of the whole point of getting drunk.

(05-09-2016, 12:11 PM)Benton Wrote: Understandable.

On the other hand, you aren't going to get accurate rape statistics. Too many go unreported. My wife was a SANE nurse for several years. Even in a small town, she was called to handle about one a month, but only about once a year did a case go to trial. Most often, the victim didn't want to press charges, she was just going to the hospital to get checked out for STDs/pregnancy. Rape is too personal a crime and too often the victims feel ashamed for there to be any kind of accurate reporting of the numbers.

It being difficult to gather and quantify accurate data doesn't justify taking a ton of ambiguous data and calling it something it isn't.

(05-10-2016, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  I can not show you a case because the law has just recently evolved.  Why do you think they would remove that language if there was not a change in the law?

2.  You don't have a clue about contract law.  A binding contract does not have to be "premeditated" at all.  There just has to be an intent to form a contract.  

False.

There needs to be five things for a contract to be valid: Offer, acceptance, mutual assent, capacity, and legality. At least 3 out of those five have jackshit to do with one's intent in forming a contract.

(05-10-2016, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  I can not show you a case because the law has just recently evolved.  Why do you think they would remove that language if there was not a change in the law?

Just because they removed some of the language doesn't mean that it means what you want it to mean. You can say the law is still new, but the article GMDino linked was in 2013 and it said it changed the language and yet... there's still not even ONE case that supports what you're trying to say.

Yes, it doesn't have to be premeditated, but there's a big difference between a legally binding contract and sex. I see the similarities between consent to contract and consent to sex, but it's all very superficial in the real world, given the different evidentiary standards, burdens of proof, etc... between civil (contract) and criminal (rape) law. It's kind of a nice little intellectual exercise that a layperson would come up with and present as fact of both their intellect and rhetorical sophistication, but no real attorney in court draws these cutesy little comparisons, because it's a false equivalence.

(05-10-2016, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you are back to thinking that as long as the woman claims she blacked out that is all that is necessary.  But what happens if the guy says she consented (LIKE HE DID IN THIS CASE) but the victim claims she does not remember?  

While you keep saying that "drunken consent is consent" the guy that got convicted here would disagree with you.

So what do you tell him?

He didn't get convicted