Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
It's Draft Time: Impeachment Edition - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: It's Draft Time: Impeachment Edition (/Thread-It-s-Draft-Time-Impeachment-Edition)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - michaelsean - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 10:28 AM)hollodero Wrote: To Sessions? I could see a reason why he didn't do that. Also, he can't quite prove his claims, since it would probably end up in his words against Trump's. The question is fair, but the latter answer seems like a legit reason to not beat the drum and probably impair his investigation.

I don't know the legal requirements, but it seems that if Trump said exactly what is written, Comey didn't take it as an attempt at obstruction at the time, and only after he was fired saw it as something he could try to pass off as an attempt.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - GMDino - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 10:24 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have a hard time believing someone writing a note to himself saying that Trump said what he said can be legitimate evidence of obstruction, and if Comey thought it was obstruction, why didn't he report it to the Justice Dept at the time?

Two points:

1) Apparently the note writing is pretty common.  I saw a few stories about it and how useful they can be.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/us/politics/james-comey-memos-fbi-culture.html?_r=0

2) He may have.

(05-18-2017, 10:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: Two points:

1) Apparently the note writing is pretty common.  I saw a few stories about it and how useful they can be.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/us/politics/james-comey-memos-fbi-culture.html?_r=0

2) He may have.

Oh I believe note writing is prevalent, but it's not proof someone said what you claim.  

(05-18-2017, 10:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh I believe note writing is prevalent, but it's not proof someone said what you claim.  

Nope.  But it has been used to verify past events.

I personally believe that Trump thought he was at a 3 martini lunch and talking to a business associate versus speaking as the POTUS to the head of the FBI.

He's an idiot.

But I also believe he said it and meant it.

He's a moron.   Smirk

(05-18-2017, 10:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: Nope.  But it has been used to verify past events.

I personally believe that Trump thought he was at a 3 martini lunch and talking to a business associate versus speaking as the POTUS to the head of the FBI.

He's an idiot.

But I also believe he said it and meant it.

He's a moron.   Smirk

I would say it would be very hard to prove intent with what Comey has.  

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - hollodero - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 10:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I would say it would be very hard to prove intent with what Comey has.  

Which would be an answer to your question on why he didn''t disclose it.

(05-18-2017, 10:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I would say it would be very hard to prove intent with what Comey has.  

Unless you look at everything Trump has ever said or done.   Smirk

(05-18-2017, 10:57 AM)hollodero Wrote: Which would be an answer to your question on why he didn''t disclose it.

OK then that would make it meaningless in my book.  If the person having the conversation also concluded he could not at the very least derive intent, or more likely recognized there was no intent, then I don't think you have anything to go on.

(05-18-2017, 10:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: Unless you look at everything Trump has ever said or done.   Smirk

He would have had to told someone he was specifically going to do this.  If they can find someone to testify to that, then I would think you have something.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - hollodero - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 11:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK then that would make it meaningless in my book.  If the person having the conversation also concluded he could not at the very least derive intent, or more likely recognized there was no intent, then I don't think you have anything to go on.

I don't think it's meaningless just because it's not verifiable by a third witness. If it is as portrayed, it's not a sole reason for a conviction. But it's still reason for additional suspicion.

I agree though, Comey's word might not be enough for an actual impeachment. The sum of things, however, that's a different picture. (Probably still not enough, though, but what do I know.)

(05-18-2017, 11:12 AM)michaelsean Wrote: He would have had to told someone he was specifically going to do this.  If they can find someone to testify to that, then I would think you have something.

Guess we'll have to see if there are any "tapes".

I don't think the WH has responded (4 days now?) to the question of if they exist.

(05-18-2017, 11:17 AM)hollodero Wrote: I don't think it's meaningless just because it's not verifiable by a third witness. If it is as portrayed, it's not a sole reason for a conviction. But it's still reason for additional suspicion.

I agree though, Comey's word might not be enough for an actual impeachment. The sum of things, however, that's a different picture. (Probably still not enough, though, but what do I know.)

With the current makeup of the House, there's no way you get impeachment.  If things turn over drastically in 2018, then maybe impeachment, but very little chance of conviction.  Unless something proves he absolutely attempted to interfere with the investigation.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - Belsnickel - 05-18-2017

Let's be clear here, we don't know what Comey has. Once this information comes more into the light we will know more but as of right now we don't know what it is or how damning it is. To be quite frank, I have zero doubt Trump said it to Comey because that fits Trump's personality to a T. Whether or not Comey's information will carry much weight remains to be seen.

RE: So Much Winning - Dill - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 06:52 AM)xxlt Wrote: None of the other theories exclude this one! In fact, I've always believed he was somewhere between an agent for Russia and a spy, although "tool" seems more likely than spy. He's a little too Jethro Bodine to be a real double nought spy. There is little question of agency at this point though.

I believe "asset" is the precise term. Trump is a Russian asset.

RE: So Much Winning - Dill - 05-18-2017

(05-17-2017, 08:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: Also it's the deep state and MSM's fault.  DJT has done nothing wrong except be an outsider.

At least that's the twitter feed I see.

(05-17-2017, 06:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Even if Trump resigned today his supporters would claim resigning was the most awesome and winningest thing he's done since he won the presidency. 

This. If impeachment goes through in the next six months, the Trump base might see no disconfirmation of its bad judgment.  The Obama deep state took Trump down.

Until Trump policies impact the base negatively, and in a way which does not implicate Democrats, they will remain a political forcing corrupting the rest of the Republican party and drawing down standards.

Horrible as it may sound, it may be good in the long term if we get tax breaks for the rich and lose jobs nationally, a definitive test of trickledown.  Let people know they chose this, despite other, better options.

RE: So Much Winning - Griever - 05-18-2017

he could make more money with a flop than with a hit

RE: So Much Winning - BoomerFan - 05-19-2017

I suppose that after he's gone conservatives will get angry at you for even mentioning him like they did with Bush.

And if history is any indication, the US will elect someone even worse before too much time has passed.

RE: Trump impeached? You bet! - xxlt - 05-20-2017

(05-18-2017, 11:17 AM)hollodero Wrote: I don't think it's meaningless just because it's not verifiable by a third witness. If it is as portrayed, it's not a sole reason for a conviction. But it's still reason for additional suspicion.

Comey's words, no. Trump's words, yes.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/11/donald-trump-james-comey-firing-russia-investigation

He admitted to obstruction of justice in this interview. He said he decided to fire Comey because of the Russia investigation. Case closed.

The only defense for that is to say Trump was lying - everything he said before and after that to Holt was a lie - example, Comey asked for the meeting; no he didn't. And if you are a Trump supporter or lawyer you bolster the claim of everything in the interview being a lie by saying, "Look, he's a pathological liar. We can show you an hours long highlight reel of him lying in public and contradicting his own lies with other lies and he hasn't even been in office 6 months." And that is true. At which point you remove him from office under Article 25 of the Constitution.

So he is impeached and removed from office for obstruction of justice and a half dozen or so other crimes (several with multiple counts) or he is removed under Article 25. Even right wing nut Russ Douthat has called for that, as has hard core right wing bloviator George Will.

RE: So Much Winning - xxlt - 05-20-2017

(05-18-2017, 12:28 PM)Dill Wrote: I believe "asset" is the precise term. Trump is a Russian asset.

Maybe 20 years ago, but now you are being too kind. No longer a petit. He is a full size ass.

RE: So Much Winning - xxlt - 05-20-2017

(05-18-2017, 12:35 PM)Dill Wrote: This. If impeachment goes through in the next six months, the Trump base might see no disconfirmation of its bad judgment.  The Obama deep state took Trump down.

Until Trump policies impact the base negatively, and in a way which does not implicate Democrats, they will remain a political forcing corrupting the rest of the Republican party and drawing down standards.

Horrible as it may sound, it may be good in the long term if we get tax breaks for the rich and lose jobs nationally, a definitive test of trickledown.  Let people know they chose this, despite other, better options.

That movie has been playing for almost 40 years! It can play for another 140! They will never get it!

Hope you are wrong about the percentage of the base that believes in the deep state. I realize Fox News is a powerhouse, but even they don't spout that shit. I mean do Breitbart et al even have one million readers combined?