Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
White Privilege? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: White Privilege? (/Thread-White-Privilege)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 07-16-2018

(07-16-2018, 02:34 PM)Beaker Wrote: It actually does not say that no business would ever discriminate. It says that businesses who do discriminate will lose business to others who do not. How is that logic wrong? Answer....it's not.

So you are not aware that we needed the civil rights act to stop businesses from discriminating based on race?

But why let reality and history get in the way of a theory that helps you deny the existence of white privilege, right?

RE: White Privilege? - PhilHos - 07-16-2018

(07-16-2018, 02:34 PM)Beaker Wrote: It actually does not say that no business would ever discriminate. It says that businesses who do discriminate will lose business to others who do not. How is that logic wrong? Answer....it's not. Same with loans. If a certain bank has a loan officer who is racist and won't give QUALIFIED applicants loans, then those qualified applicants will get loans from other banks who will welcome their business.

There are actually regulations that banks must strictly adhere to to show that they are NOT discriminating against minorities. While it's still possible that a loan officer COULD discriminate, it's highly unlikely because of said regulations. Not to mention that doing so, would bring about CRIMINAL charges (punishment including hefty fines and possibly imprisonment). 

(07-16-2018, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you are not aware that we needed the civil rights act to stop businesses from discriminating based on race?

You do realize this isn't the 1960s anymore, right?

RE: White Privilege? - jj22 - 07-16-2018

It isn't? Have you seen the number of police calls that are being made on innocent black people. It's a new thing, however it's not new at all, it's just now getting attention with social media and the ability to record.

Black kids can't sell lemonade without police being called, can't take their kids to the pool, cookout at parks.

Law enforcement officials are even coming out and saying they can no longer (finally after decades) keep up with these calls on behalf of people with "suspect" reasoning.

Do you think if these people were white they'd get the police called on them so much our law enforcement are finally speaking out on it?

People just don't care if it doesn't effect them and that's the unfortunate thing about all of this. If the majority didn't care about issues like slavery and jim crow laws, we'd still be in that era. It's easy to ignore, defend, excuse. It takes courage for the majority to take a stand on behalf of a minority people, and no it's not "white guilt", that's just some way to shame those who dare to care. A modern way of calling someone a "n" word lover (sorry, to bring that word into it, but that was a legit attack on white people who dared to care during the those tough civil rights times).

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 07-16-2018

(07-16-2018, 03:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: It isn't? Have you seen the number of police calls that are being made on innocent black people. It's a new thing, however it's not new at all, it's just now getting attention with social media and the ability to record.

Black kids can't sell lemonade without police being called, can't take their kids to the pool, cookout at parks.

Law enforcement officials are even coming out and saying they can no longer (finally after decades) keep up with these calls on behalf of people with "suspect" reasoning.

Do you think if these people were white they'd get the police called on them so much our law enforcement are finally speaking out on it?

People just don't care if it doesn't effect them.

I have black kids on my street who sell lemonade every weekend, and I live in the part of Cincinnati black people wouldn't go to in the 60's.  Now we have whites. blacks, Latinos, Asians, and Indians or Pakistanis. Maybe both. Maybe one of the most diverse neighborhoods in Cincinnati. 

It's certainly not everyone or everywhere. Hopefully that isn't what is taken from this thread.

(07-16-2018, 03:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: It isn't? Have you seen the number of police calls that are being made on innocent black people. It's a new thing, however it's not new at all, it's just now getting attention with social media and the ability to record.

People just don't care if it doesn't effect them and that's the unfortunate thing about all of this. If the majority didn't care about issues like slavery and jim crow laws, we'd still be in that era. It's easy to ignore, defend, excuse. It takes courage for the majority to take a stand on behalf of a minority people, and no it's not "white guilt", that's just some way to shame those who dare to care. A modern way of calling someone a "n" word lover (sorry, to bring that word into it, but that was a legit attack on white people who dared to care during the those tough civil rights times).

I get it. There are still racist assholes in this country that sees a black person in their neighborhood and calls the cops. It sucks. It shouldn't happen. But, that doesn't mean there's such a thing as white privilege. It just means there are still racists out there.

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 07-16-2018

(07-16-2018, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you are not aware that we needed the civil rights act to stop businesses from discriminating based on race?

But why let reality and history get in the way of a theory that helps you deny the existence of white privilege, right?

Good thing they did that. That is why if a lender discriminates against a qualified applicant based solely upon race then the lender can be prosecuted. That is also why that same person can go to another bank who will take their business. Supporting evidence that being racist will eventually cost a business money. But thanks for the history lesson.

RE: White Privilege? - GMDino - 07-16-2018

(07-16-2018, 03:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get it. There are still racist assholes in this country that sees a black person in their neighborhood and calls the cops. It sucks. It shouldn't happen. But, that doesn't mean there's such a thing as white privilege. It just means there are still racists out there.

You realize that when the racist doesn't call the cops on a white person in their neighborhood that is the white person's white privilege...right?  That they didn't get looked at suspiciously just because they were white?

(07-16-2018, 03:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: You realize that when the racist doesn't call the cops on a white person in their neighborhood that is the white person's white privilege...right?
That they didn't get looked at suspiciously just because they were white? 

No, it's not. Do you call me a victim of "black privilege" when I go to a black neighborhood and get looked at suspiciously?

RE: White Privilege? - bfine32 - 07-16-2018

I suppose we can all agree that Papa John is currently not reaping the benefits of this White Privilege.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/9f64cf39-12b5-30e7-8fe5-18c474cfa040/ss_%27papa-john%27-schnatter-evicted.html

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 07-16-2018

(07-16-2018, 04:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I suppose we can all agree that Papa John is currently not reaping the benefits of this White Privilege.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/9f64cf39-12b5-30e7-8fe5-18c474cfa040/ss_%27papa-john%27-schnatter-evicted.html

Dude seriously thought he was important.  He has made a ton of money and will continue to, so I don't mind laughing at his fall.  

I'm not sure where Bfine was going bringing up a random billionaire who is going though a self inflicted issue. I hate to say it was a sad attempt to distract because I respect Bfine's contributions and thoughts on many subjects, but this is how we go from kneeling for police brutality to kneeling being an act against Vets and America.

Just a complete loss of point and focus of an initial issue many take seriously.

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 07-16-2018

(07-16-2018, 04:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No, it's not. Do you call me a victim of "black privilege" when I go to a black neighborhood and get looked at suspiciously?

No.  You are still privileged because in 95% of the country you don't have to deal with the suspicion while the number is flipped for blacks.

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 07-16-2018

How many people would truly call the police for a black person in their neighborhood who wasn't obviously doing something suspicious? How many people would call the cops on a white person in their neighborhood who WAS doing something suspicious?

I can bet the number is nowhere near 95% in the first situation, and probably approaches or surpasses 95% in the second.

RE: White Privil - HarleyDog - 07-16-2018

(07-16-2018, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  You are still privileged because in 95% of the country you don't have to deal with the suspicion while the number is flipped for blacks.

Little high on the percentage don’t you think? I mean, it’s ok if you want to buy into this bs, but let’s not be ridiculous. People get respect when earned in most cases.

RE: White Privilege? - GMDino - 07-17-2018

[Image: 37269989_2148652315193152_46115117544243...e=5BE194F0]

RE: White Privilege? - PhilHos - 07-17-2018

(07-16-2018, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  You are still privileged because in 95% of the country you don't have to deal with the suspicion while the number is flipped for blacks.

Wrong.

RE: White Privilege? - jj22 - 07-17-2018

Black people ain't calling the police on a suspicious white person...... If anything they probably think that suspicious white person is the police. You guys aren't living in reality (and certainly haven't been paying attention to current events) if you think black people run around calling the police like that.

So no it don't happen like it happens to black people.

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 07-17-2018

(07-17-2018, 05:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: Black people ain't calling the police on a suspicious white person...... If anything they probably think that suspicious white person is the police. You guys aren't living in reality (and certainly haven't been paying attention to current events) if you think black people run around calling the police like that.

So no it don't happen like it happens to black people.

Of course they would call the police on a suspicious white person.  The argument here is what constitutes suspicious.