Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests (/Thread-More-largely-peaceful-Portland-protests)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - jj22 - 09-04-2020

Trump supporters have been going on and on on conservative media and podcasts telling people how to kill protesters and get away with it (claim self defense) while organizing these caravans to come in from out of state to go to these protests. Then they claim self defense because they came across state lines using racial slurs and threatening folks with their guns. Then they kill them, and cry self defense...…

Trump always projects his crimes on other people, and his plane full of people dressed in all black, was probably to get ahead of the reports of Trump supporter caravans that we are seeing all over coming to stir violence (then whine about self defense when they have the guns and the people they kill and run over don't).

Imagine coming over from another state past police armed and ready to kill. Just to kill unarmed people then cry self defense..... Lames. Clearly those repeating this kind of self defense has heard conservative media's how to get away with murder talking points.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - fredtoast - 09-04-2020

(08-10-2020, 10:19 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And yet we probably here more about Charlotte to this day then we do about Portland.

Funny thing about Charlotte is that we are supposed to acknowledge that there were "good people" among the crowd chanting "blood and soil", but in Portland even the peaceful protestors are guilty of supporting violence just by being the same area.

(09-04-2020, 12:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Believing people don't have a choice but to take the law into their own hands is NOT the same as endorsing people taking the law in their own hands 

Yes. that is exactly what it is.  Not only is he saying that people are justified in doing it, but he is also telling the people who thought they had a choice not to that they are wrong.

That is clearly an endorsement.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-04-2020

(09-04-2020, 01:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny thing about Charlotte is that we are supposed to acknowledge that there were "good people" among the crowd chanting "blood and soil", but in Portland even the peaceful protestors are guilty of supporting violence just by being the same area.

What's interesting about this statement is how easily it can be completely reversed.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Belsnickel - 09-04-2020

(08-10-2020, 10:15 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Chatlotte looks like a campfire sing along compared to this.

(08-10-2020, 10:19 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And yet we probably here more about Charlotte to this day then we do about Portland.

(09-04-2020, 01:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny thing about Charlotte is that we are supposed to acknowledge that there were "good people" among the crowd chanting "blood and soil", but in Portland even the peaceful protestors are guilty of supporting violence just by being the same area.

I missed all these. FWIW, it was Charlottesville, not Charlotte.

(09-04-2020, 01:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What's interesting about this statement is how easily it can be completely reversed.

Actually not because there are clearly groups of protestors who are not participating in the violence.  In Charlottesville EVERYONE in the march was chanting hatred.  There was not a visible separate group chanting non-racists support.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-04-2020

(09-04-2020, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually not because there are clearly groups of protestors who are not participating in the violence.

Agreed.

Quote: In Charlottesville EVERYONE in the march was chanting hatred. 

C'mon, Fred, you don't really mean "everyone"

Quote:There was not a visible separate group chanting non-racists support.

You know this how?  I understand that the crux of the protest that day was about the removal of Confederate monuments.  Not being a fan of them myself I wouldn't have been there for any reason, but there's no way you can credibly make the absolutist claim that everyone there was a a racist or there for racist reasons.

I will say this, you are reinforcing a point I've made to Bel.  He doesn't wholly agree, but I wouldn't attend any protest at which I knew unsavory types such as antifa, the KKK or the like would be protesting on my side of the fence.  If I didn't know and then saw they were there I would leave immediately.  No matter how important the cause, I wouldn't associate myself with such people.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - PhilHos - 09-04-2020

(09-04-2020, 01:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes. that is exactly what it is.  Not only is he saying that people are justified in doing it, but he is also telling the people who thought they had a choice not to that they are wrong.

That is clearly an endorsement.

No, it's not.

(09-04-2020, 01:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You know this how?  I understand that the crux of the protest that day was about the removal of Confederate monuments.  Not being a fan of them myself I wouldn't have been there for any reason, but there's no way you can credibly make the absolutist claim that everyone there was a a racist or there for racist reasons.

The event was organized, publicized, and promoted exclusively by extreme alt-right groups.  Anyone that heard of it knew exactly what was going on.

Then when you watch the video it is clear that they are all marching as one unified group.  There were no separate peaceful groups of non-extremists. 

(09-04-2020, 02:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No, it's not.

When someone gives justification they are saying it is all right to do it.  Trump said they have no choice.  He was justifying their actions and saying it was okay.  He was even telling people who thought they had a choice that they were wrong.

That is a clear endorsement.

Do you even know what the term "endorse" means?

"an act of giving one's public approval or support to someone or something."

(09-04-2020, 02:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The event was organized, publicized, and promoted exclusively by extreme alt-right groups.  Anyone that heard of it knew exactly what was going on.

Then when you watch the video it is clear that they are all marching as one unified group.  There were no separate peaceful groups of non-extremists. 

I'd have to see proof of that.  Although, honestly, it's not important to me either way as it wouldn't change my position on the extremists of either stripe.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Belsnickel - 09-04-2020

(09-04-2020, 02:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd have to see proof of that.  Although, honestly, it's not important to me either way as it wouldn't change my position on the extremists of either stripe.

I wouldn't have used the word "exclusively," mostly because that definitive of a term is a tough sell. But this was the organizer of the event: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Kessler

There could have been people that didn't know, but the event was planned as, promoted as, and predominantly attended by right-wing extremists.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - PhilHos - 09-04-2020

(09-04-2020, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When someone gives justification they are saying it is all right to do it.  Trump said they have no choice.  He was justifying their actions and saying it was okay.  He was even telling people who thought they had a choice that they were wrong.

We're not talking about Trump. How the hell did this go from the fake news of claiming Sheriff Clarke said something he clearly did not say to Trump justifying certain people's actions?

(09-04-2020, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was even telling people who thought they had a choice that they were wrong.

That is a clear endorsement.

No, he's saying that they had no choice which is NOT a clear endorsement but recognizing that the world is not black and white. 

(09-04-2020, 02:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Do you even know what the term "endorse" means?

"an act of giving one's public approval or support to someone or something."

So, you're saying when he tells people he doesn't "advocate" for something he's still endorsing it?

advocate - "publicly recommend or support"

Hmm

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-06-2020

More, largely peaceful, protests last night. The protesters were concerned about the police not being warm enough, so they threw molotov cocktails at them.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/09/portland-protest-declared-riot-soon-after-it-begins-in-se-portland-live-updates.html

Let's all see how long until a post about something Trump said is posted in a vain attempt to distract us from the daily far left violence.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - TheLeonardLeap - 09-07-2020

(09-06-2020, 12:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: More, largely peaceful, protests last night.  The protesters were concerned about the police not being warm enough, so they threw molotov cocktails at them.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/09/portland-protest-declared-riot-soon-after-it-begins-in-se-portland-live-updates.html

Let's all see how long until a post about something Trump said is posted in a vain attempt to distract us from the daily far left violence.

ABC actually ran with the "quiet night" headline at first.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/portland-oregon-quiet-night-100-days-protest-72857399?ocid=uxbndlbing
"portland oregon quite night 100 days protest"

When I was scrolling through the Bing trending news feed (no search, just the whole feed) that's actually still the line that is shown. Here's a cropped screen shot of it on my screen....
[Image: abc-portland.png]

"Portland, Oregon has quiet night after 100 days of protest."

I was confused considering SFGate has "Dozens arrested as violent Portland protests continue." right below it. So I clicked on the ABC link and despite it's title which is now "Portland, Oregon, demonstrators gather near police precinct." the actual article itself mentions a mattress fire the fire department had to put out, and molotov cocktails being thrown with the police responding with tear gar, and 59 people being arrested.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

News standards have gone to absolute shit in the 24/7 digital age.

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-07-2020

(09-07-2020, 07:44 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: ABC actually ran with the "quiet night" headline at first.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/portland-oregon-quiet-night-100-days-protest-72857399?ocid=uxbndlbing
"portland oregon quite night 100 days protest"

When I was scrolling through the Bing trending news feed (no search, just the whole feed) that's actually still the line that is shown. Here's a cropped screen shot of it on my screen....
[Image: abc-portland.png]

"Portland, Oregon has quiet night after 100 days of protest."

I was confused considering SFGate has "Dozens arrested as violent Portland protests continue." right below it. So I clicked on the ABC link and despite it's title which is now "Portland, Oregon, demonstrators gather near police precinct." the actual article itself mentions a mattress fire the fire department had to put out, and molotov cocktails being thrown with the police responding with tear gar, and 59 people being arrested.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

News standards have gone to absolute shit in the 24/7 digital age.

It gets even more interesting when you contrast that with the media coverage of the Virginia pro 2A rally and the Michigan state capital protest.  Events were there was zero violence, one arrest between them (for wearing a face covering, charges later dropped), and, in the case of the Virginia rally, they picked up their own trash and actually left the place cleaner than it was before.  But according to the media they were both inches short of the Nuremberg rallies.   Whatever

RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - GMDino - 09-07-2020

[Image: 118943554_1713954288754916_1536611785697...e=5F7B654B]

[Image: 118671521_10159502148554305_178005608076...e=5F7A51EE]

Since we're talking about journalistic standards...here's another problem in American that can be directly traced back to Ronald Reagan.

[Image: 118635736_10159496981944305_788533455584...e=5F7AF00B]