Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
It's Kamala! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: It's Kamala! (/Thread-It-s-Kamala)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: It's Kamala! - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 12:21 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Another example of the Dems actions on violent protesters.

https://www.fox9.com/news/minnesota-nonprofit-with-35m-bails-out-those-accused-of-violent-crimes

https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/31/meet-the-rioting-criminals-kamala-harris-helped-bail-out-of-jail/

(08-31-2020, 12:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, what it looks like is that the non-profit was being absolutely stupid and bailing out all sorts of people without looking at what they were in for. As the actual news article states, "Much of the money donated to the MFF was given to help protesters get out of jail after Floyd’s death, and for “nuisance bail” for gross misdemeanor offenses. But, many of the protesters arrested were quickly released or only received citations." So it seems that the people donating, and likely Harris in her promotion of the organization, were doing so under the impression that this was not for the violent actors.

Oh man, that does not make for pleasant reading.  You have to seriously wonder what the people in charge of this "non-profit" were thinking, bailing out any of those three people.  Also, the way it reads is that the dollar amount posted was paid in full, not the standard 10% to a bail bondsman, which means they must have had money to burn.  That's over half a million dollars on three people if they didn't bond them out.

RE: It's Kamala! - bfine32 - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 05:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh man, that does not make for pleasant reading.  You have to seriously wonder what the people in charge of this "non-profit" were thinking, bailing out any of those three people.  Also, the way it reads is that the dollar amount posted was paid in full, not the standard 10% to a bail bondsman, which means they must have had money to burn.  That's over half a million dollars on three people if they didn't bond them out.

And folks are losing their shit over some folks throwing in a couple bucks to aid in Rittenhouse's defense expenses. 

RE: It's Kamala! - fredtoast - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 05:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This statement is more an attack on the bail system itself than addressing the point Mason was making, that being that Harris advocated for an organization that actively assisted violent criminals to post bail.

What is wrong with helping someone post bail?  The entire bail bonding industry is based on doing just that.  Why isn't everyone complaining about them?

And why is it okay for wealthy people to make bond with their own money, but not poor people with the help of someone else?

Over half of the people setting in jail are not there because they have been convicted of a crime.  They are there because they can not afford bail.  Incarceration should be a punishment for breaking the law, not a punishment for being poor.

(08-31-2020, 05:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So, then your solution is to remand all people accused of a violent crime at the detention hearing?

Solution to what?

(08-31-2020, 06:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is wrong with helping someone post bail?  The entire bail bonding industry is based on doing just that.  Why isn't everyone complaining about them?

Well, actually, a lot of people are complaining about that.  Just not in the way you're alluding to.

https://www.davisvanguard.org/2020/08/ca-supreme-court-order-ushers-in-new-era-of-bail-in-state/

As to complaining about the Bail Bondsman, the Bondsman has a responsibility to ensure that those they bonded out are brought before the court.  This "non-profit" does not, not if they're posting the entire bail amount.  Also, as the defendant stands to lose nothing by failing to appear would that not heighten their flight risk?  The possibility of losing your bail amount is the major incentive to show up for court, at least in theory. 

Quote:And why is it okay for wealthy people to make bond with their own money, but not poor people with the help of someone else?

Who said it wasn't OK?  The issue is should politicians be lobbying for a "non-profit" who is using the funds donated to them to bail out violent offenders.  Also, unless I'm reading this incorrectly, and Bel can correct me if that is so, this "non-profit" was advocated for as posting the bail of people who caught charges due to protesting.  I don't think bailing out attempted murderers and child molesters was on their promotion materials.

Quote:Over half of the people setting in jail are not there because they have been convicted of a crime.  They are there because they can not afford bail.  Incarceration should be a punishment for breaking the law, not a punishment for being poor.

Or they've been remanded.  C'mon Fred, you'd a public defender, you should have known to include that option as well.  Why didn't you include it?

Quote:Solution to what?

To violent offenders being released.  You and I both know what a high bail amount is for, why are you pretending like you do not?

RE: It's Kamala! - Dill - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 12:21 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Another example of the Dems actions on violent protesters.

https://www.fox9.com/news/minnesota-nonprofit-with-35m-bails-out-those-accused-of-violent-crimes

https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/31/meet-the-rioting-criminals-kamala-harris-helped-bail-out-of-jail/

Hmmm. I'm a "Dem" and I didn't know about this bail bond NGO. 

This looks like a good idea that was not monitored carefully. I wonder if people doing the bailing have access to prior records of those they are posting bonds for. 

By the way, the language of the second source is amazing. 

Kamala Harris and her friends in the corporate media, otherwise known as the propaganda arm of the Democratic Party, will pretend this never happened and they are counting on voters to be too ignorant to know that it did. Harris was so eager to be on the rioters’ team that she literally raised money for them in the hopes that they could be released and foster further mayhem.

I am very sure that Harris' had no intent to be on any "rioters' team," hoping they could "foster further mayhem" once released. Claims like that don't set off any alarm bells when you are reading them? 

(08-31-2020, 07:49 PM)Dill Wrote: Hmmm. I'm a "Dem" and I didn't know about this bail bond NGO. 

This looks like a good idea that was not monitored carefully. I wonder if people doing the bailing have access to prior records of those they are posting bonds for.

That's quite the understatement.  They spent over half a million dollars bailing out two attempted murderers and a child molester. 

Quote:By the way, the language of the second source is amazing. 

Kamala Harris and her friends in the corporate media, otherwise known as the propaganda arm of the Democratic Party, will pretend this never happened and they are counting on voters to be too ignorant to know that it did. Harris was so eager to be on the rioters’ team that she literally raised money for them in the hopes that they could be released and foster further mayhem.

Nah, hyperbolic, but certainly not amazing.  Amazing would imply it's out of the norm.  You can find similar hyperbole in a random Huffington Post article.

Quote:I am very sure that Harris' had no intent to be on any "rioters' team," hoping they could "foster further mayhem" once released. Claims like that don't set off any alarm bells when you are reading them? 

We agree that the language is certainly hyperbolic and inflammatory.  But I don't know that one could be surprised that by promoting a service that bails out alleged criminals that the service makes more money and ends up bailing out some criminals they probably (definitely?) shouldn't have.

RE: It's Kamala! - Dill - 09-01-2020

(08-31-2020, 10:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's quite the understatement.  They spent over half a million dollars bailing out two attempted murderers and a child molester.

Nah, hyperbolic, but certainly not amazing.  Amazing would imply it's out of the norm.  You can find similar hyperbole in a random Huffington Post article.

We agree that the language is certainly hyperbolic and inflammatory.  But I don't know that one could be surprised that by promoting a service that bails out alleged criminals that the service makes more money and ends up bailing out some criminals they probably (definitely?) shouldn't have.

"Both sides do it"?

Sounds like you know more about this orgnizaton than I do, or than I can gather from the news.

So how does this non-profit make money.  Who gets it?

RE: It's Kamala! - masonbengals fan - 09-01-2020

(08-31-2020, 07:49 PM)Dill Wrote: Hmmm. I'm a "Dem" and I didn't know about this bail bond NGO. 

I am very sure that Harris' had no intent to be on any "rioters' team," hoping they could "foster further mayhem" once released. Claims like that don't set off any alarm bells when you are reading them? 

Dill, I shouldn't have worded that as Dems. For that I apologize. I don't want to be lumped into groups as a whole & I should know better than to do it myself. It should have read  "Another example of vice presidential candidate Harris's actions on violent protestors"

We may not always have the same view on things but I don't believe all Democrats would be for this either.

RE: It's Kamala! - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 02:41 AM)Dill Wrote: "Both sides do it"?

Sounds like you know more about this orgnizaton than I do, or than I can gather from the news.

So how does this non-profit make money.  Who gets it?

Apparently attempted murderers and child molesters.

RE: It's Kamala! - BmorePat87 - 09-01-2020

(08-31-2020, 07:49 PM)Dill Wrote: H

haha, the irony of the Federalist calling media "propaganda" while also publishing that 

(09-01-2020, 11:33 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: haha, the irony of the Federalist calling media "propaganda" while also publishing that 

Yes, I think we all agree on that.  It's hardly the focal point of the discussion though.

(09-01-2020, 11:39 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, I think we all agree on that.  It's hardly the focal point of the discussion though.

Thank you for monitoring the boards and letting me know that I am not addressing the focal point of the discussion. I probably would have continued to have wasted my time addressing the problematic sources people are posting to promote a false narrative. 

(09-01-2020, 11:54 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Thank you for monitoring the boards and letting me know that I am not addressing the focal point of the discussion. I probably would have continued to have wasted my time addressing the problematic sources people are posting to promote a false narrative. 

What's false about the narrative?  Harris promoted an organization that apparently raised money under false pretenses and then spent over half a million dollars to bail out two attempted murderers and a child molester.  I have no doubt she did not see that in the cards when she promoted them.  However, this is now a known fact, so where's the tweet to stop supporting this organization?

I can absolutely, as Bel asserts, see the idea of raising bail for people arrested for charges related to protesting and how it would appeal to some.  I cannot see how any non-criminal would think bailing out violent criminals and child molesters with non-profit money would be a good idea.

Or am I wasting my time? Wink

(09-01-2020, 12:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What's false about the narrative?  Harris promoted an organization that apparently raised money under false pretenses and then spent over half a million dollars to bail out two attempted murderers and a child molester.  I have no doubt she did not see that in the cards when she promoted them.  However, this is now a known fact, so where's the tweet to stop supporting this organization?

I can absolutely, as Bel asserts, see the idea of raising bail for people arrested for charges related to protesting and how it would appeal to some.  I cannot see how any non-criminal would think bailing out violent criminals and child molesters with non-profit money would be a good idea.

Or am I wasting my time? Wink

Harris specifically called for donations to help "protestors". While it is problematic that the organization helps more than just the protestors, it's absolutely false to say she was trying to help get rioters back on the streets to cause more mayhem. 

(09-01-2020, 12:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Harris specifically called for donations to help "protestors". While it is problematic that the organization helps more than just the protestors, it's absolutely false to say she was trying to help get rioters back on the streets to cause more mayhem. 

I agree that certainly wasn't her intent, but it is the end result.  I don't think you would argue that her promoting the organization with her official twitter account didn't result in an increase in raised funds.  Some of those funds were then used to bail out two attempted murderers and a child rapist.  If she came out and denounced the bailing out of violent criminals and sexual predators and/or tweeted that this organization should not be supported then I think you'd have a solid point.  To my knowledge she has done neither.

(09-01-2020, 10:31 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Dill, I shouldn't have worded that as Dems. For that I apologize. I don't want to be lumped into groups as a whole & I should know better than to do it myself. It should have read  "Another example of vice presidential candidate Harris's actions on violent protestors"

We may not always have the same view on things but I don't believe all Democrats would be for this either.

Well said. lol. Now if feel "unlumped." ThumbsUp

More massive confusion over the difference between "protestors" and "rioters."

Comma-la is criticized by Republicans like Tom Cotton as inconsistent for supporting the former and condemning the latter. The trigger appears to be her condemnation of the violence/killing in Portland.

Kamala Harris ripped for flip-flopping on rioters after she asked for donations to bail them out of jail
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/kamala-harris-ripped-for-flip-flopping-on-rioters-after-she-asked-for-donations-to-bail-them-out-of-jail

Republican Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton resurrected Harris’s June tweet Sunday, slamming it as a flip-flop on her support of rioters who have caused destruction in multiple major cities across the country.

“Kamala Harris helped violent rioters in Minnesota get out of jail to do more damage,” Cotton tweeted. “Don't believe her when she says she ‘condemns the violence’ — look at her record, not her words.”

“Remember: Joe Biden called them ‘peaceful protesters.’ Kamala Harris raised money to bail violent rioters out of jail. And they both continue to oppose @realDonaldTrump's plan to send in the National Guard to finally end these violent riots once and for all,” Trump Jr. tweeted Monday morning.

"As vice president, Joe Biden oversaw cuts to police funding, and now as a candidate, he says he wants to redirect funding away from police. His staff mocked police as worse than ‘pigs,’ called for defunding the police, and now, we know his campaign and Kamala Harris helped bail out violent criminals, rapists, and would-be cop killers. Biden is incapable of bringing our country together because he has been taken over by the radical Left. Biden and Harris are actively putting Americans’ lives at risk by making our streets more dangerous, cops’ jobs more difficult, and families less safe," Trump campaign Communications Director Tim Murtaugh said in a statement to the Washington Examiner.

(09-01-2020, 01:23 PM)Dill Wrote: More massive confusion over the difference between "protestors" and "rioters."

Comma-la is criticized by Republicans like Tom Cotton as inconsistent for supporting the former and condemning the latter. The trigger appears to be her condemnation of the violence/killing in Portland.

Kamala Harris ripped for flip-flopping on rioters after she asked for donations to bail them out of jail
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/kamala-harris-ripped-for-flip-flopping-on-rioters-after-she-asked-for-donations-to-bail-them-out-of-jail

Republican Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton resurrected Harris’s June tweet Sunday, slamming it as a flip-flop on her support of rioters who have caused destruction in multiple major cities across the country.

“Kamala Harris helped violent rioters in Minnesota get out of jail to do more damage,” Cotton tweeted. “Don't believe her when she says she ‘condemns the violence’ — look at her record, not her words.”

“Remember: Joe Biden called them ‘peaceful protesters.’ Kamala Harris raised money to bail violent rioters out of jail. And they both continue to oppose @realDonaldTrump's plan to send in the National Guard to finally end these violent riots once and for all,” Trump Jr. tweeted Monday morning.

"As vice president, Joe Biden oversaw cuts to police funding, and now as a candidate, he says he wants to redirect funding away from police. His staff mocked police as worse than ‘pigs,’ called for defunding the police, and now, we know his campaign and Kamala Harris helped bail out violent criminals, rapists, and would-be cop killers. Biden is incapable of bringing our country together because he has been taken over by the radical Left. Biden and Harris are actively putting Americans’ lives at risk by making our streets more dangerous, cops’ jobs more difficult, and families less safe," Trump campaign Communications Director Tim Murtaugh said in a statement to the Washington Examiner.

Well, to be fair, there has been violence in Portland for three straight months.  Why did it take her so long to condemn it?

(09-01-2020, 01:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well, to be fair, there has been violence in Portland for three straight months.  Why did it take her so long to condemn it?

I could only hazard a guess--she wanted to avoid making the protests about violence, rather than about the issue of just policing which has motivated protests around the world.  Plus someone was killed in the recent violence.

To be fair about the comments in the article though, they are totally "unfair." They are implying Harris holds two inconsistent positions. She does not.

(09-01-2020, 01:31 PM)Dill Wrote: I could only hazard a guess--she wanted to avoid making the protests about violence, rather than about the issue of just policing which has motivated protests around the world.  Plus someone was killed in the recent violence.

To be fair about the comments in the article though, they are totally "unfair." They are implying Harris holds two inconsistent positions. She does not.

Well, she absolutely does.  While I agree the article is highly partisan (which is to be expected given the source) it is not incorrect about the Democratic position and how it has recently changed.  As we all know the protests have been described as "largely peaceful" by both the Dems and the media.  While it was largely true in the beginning it has become less and less so as time wears on.  The Dems wanted to keep the focus on the actual protests, which is understandable, however, in so doing they began to look more and more out of touch with the reality of what was actually happening at many of them.  As you say, it finally took some people being killed, in self defense or not, for them to finally take a real stand against the ever increasing violence.  Now, a more cynical person would quote Don Lemon and his comments about how the violent protests are helping Trump and it's the only thing that's "sticking" as the reason for the sudden Dem about face, but I'm clearly not that cynical.

There has been nightly violence in Portland for over three straight months, finally condemning the violence now is far too little and too damn late.