Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Joe Burrow injury updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Joe Burrow injury updates (/Thread-Joe-Burrow-injury-updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Bengalbug - 07-28-2023

(07-28-2023, 10:21 PM)Nepa Wrote: That's probably true, but nothing to write home about. He's been on 7 teams since drafted in 2015. The last four teams he ended up being cut or waived and put on the practice squad. I think we would all be more comfortable with a better backup QB. 

Better backup qbs would be bridge starters for bad teams. This guy is close to teddy bridgewater, or Ryan Fitzpatrick. It’s just the opportunity hasn’t been there.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Nepa - 07-28-2023

ESPN is reporting a substantial risk of reinjury even after Burrow returns: "In fact, reinjury rates following calf strains in athletes are reported in the sports medicine literature as ranging from 19 to 31%."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38089587/how-joe-burrow-calf-injury-impact-bengals

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Nepa - 07-28-2023

(07-28-2023, 10:32 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Kremchek(sp) was on 700wlw today...it is a grade 1..1-3 weeks...asked if Mike asked him about the extension and Doc said YES...sign him immediately...if he is not worried than neither am I 

If it is indeed a grade 1, that would be fantastic news (although ESPN is speculating it is grade 2):

Here are the three grades according to ESPN:
  • Mild: Grade 1, little to no structural damage, minimal and localized pain/inflammation, minimal to no functional loss, typically days to a couple of weeks to recover.
  • Moderate: Grade 2, structural damage present, increased pain/inflammation/functional limitation, typically multiple weeks to recover.
  • Severe: Grade 3, complete tear, structure disrupted, often with a visible defect, significant pain/inflammation/functional loss, typically multiple weeks to months to recover.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38089587/how-joe-burrow-calf-injury-impact-bengals

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - SouthernFan - 07-29-2023

(07-28-2023, 10:32 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Kremchek(sp) was on 700wlw today...it is a grade 1..1-3 weeks...asked if Mike asked him about the extension and Doc said YES...sign him immediately...if he is not worried than neither am I 

Can you elaborate further?  Did he say how he knows it is grade 1?  Otherwise, just more speculation. Certainly hope it’s grade 1, but still not expecting to see Burrow taking any risks until regular season week 1.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - PDub80 - 07-29-2023

Don't worry at all....

7 or so years ago (around age 35) I had a grade 3 calf strain... Massive bruising up my calf. It hurt pretty damn bad and felt so strange, but I didn't miss work and for work I'm on my feet and moving around all day. It's not like a dull pain from a sprained ankle or something. More like a lingering charlie horse that only hurts when you walk around.

I was hobbled for the first week for sure. Was playing USTA tennis practice and I thought my buddy behind me whacked my calf w side of his racquet really hard just to screw with me when I started sprinting from baseline. Nope!

I played in a USTA doubles match 2 weeks later and played well enough to win. If singles and I had to cover the entire court it wouldn't have been doable. It felt weird... looked way worse... but never have had any issues since. It isn't a "mental hurdle " type injury. It will stop hurting and be fine/100% gone. No strength loss or whatever.

Burrow will be fine after a few weeks of rest.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - BFritz21 - 07-29-2023

(07-29-2023, 01:14 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Don't worry at all....

7 or so years ago (around age 35) I had a grade 3 calf strain... Massive bruising up my calf. It hurt pretty damn bad and felt so strange, but I didn't miss work and for work I'm on my feet and moving around all day. It's not like a dull pain from a sprained ankle or something. More like a lingering charlie horse that only hurts when you walk around.

I was hobbled for the first week for sure. Was playing USTA tennis practice and I thought my buddy behind me whacked my calf w side of his racquet really hard just to screw with me when I started sprinting from baseline. Nope!

I played in a USTA doubles match 2 weeks later and played well enough to win. If singles and I had to cover the entire court it wouldn't have been doable. It felt weird... looked way worse... but never have had any issues since. It isn't a "mental hurdle " type injury. It will stop hurting and be fine/100% gone. No strength loss or whatever.

First-hand knowledge- LOVE IT!

THANKS! 

Glad that he can be back before the opener and be fine. 

With our luck, you never know. 

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Daddy-O - 07-29-2023

(07-28-2023, 05:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Shouldn't bother him near as much as the appendectomy anyways. Just sucks we can never have the guy 100% entering a season yet.

That appendectomy really took it's toll, he was a bean pole to start the season.  I'm sure he didn't get his full weight and strength back until later in the year.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Soonerpeace - 07-29-2023

This is a solid researched and extensive article from Paul Dehner and The Athletic. Sorry if you don’t have a sub. If you can’t afford $1 a month I can’t help you. If you spend time on a stupid message board you should read and listen to some of the best coverage of the Bengals.
https://theathletic.com/4730326/2023/07/29/joe-burrow-calf-strain-bengals/

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Essex Johnson - 07-29-2023

(07-29-2023, 11:05 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This is a solid researched and extensive article from Paul Dehner and The Athletic. Sorry if you don’t have a sub. If you can’t afford $1 a month I can’t help you. If you spend time on a stupid message board you should read and listen to some of the best coverage of the Bengals.

why unless you think Paul Dehner and The Athletic is stupid why spend your time reading it ps. the actual sub is around $8 a month, promo is $2.. hmmm.  My point really is thanks for the link and update but why trash those that like maybe just reading message board or decision of someone that might not subscribe . Also you could help if you wanted to paraphrase for those dont have a subscription... lol

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Essex Johnson - 07-29-2023

(07-29-2023, 01:14 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Don't worry at all....

We really can't assume how an individual will respond always to similar injury, for example a friend and I had same injury and I recovered quicker than he did..  I do know people that have had calf issues and they have had lingering issues after.  That is why I hope Burrow and Bengals don't rush it

(07-29-2023, 11:11 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: why unless you think Paul Dehner and The Athletic is stupid why spend your time reading it ps. the actual sub is around $8 a month, promo is $2.. hmmm.  My point really is thanks for the link and update but why trash those that like maybe just reading message board or decision of someone that might not subscribe . Also you could help if you wanted to paraphrase for those dont have a subscription... lol

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro12monthly/

If you spend a lot of time on here reading posts and seek info about the Bengals $1 a month for 12 months is well worth it. It’s a long in depth article. Hell this article alone would be worth a $1. I’m not going to paraphrase this in depth article. Subscribe it’s less than a cup of coffee

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Nepa - 07-29-2023

I found a link to this interview with Dr. Tim Kremcheck, orthopedic surgeon. The money line:

"They carted him off which is the right thing to do, MRI found out from my understanding, it is a grade one, which is great because if it is grade three, that's a bigger problem. So grade one is going to be a couple of weeks, they'll rehab him, put him in a boot find a way to stay in shape, do a little bit of throwing. My best guess would be about three weeks, he'll be ready to go, so that's great news," Kremchek.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/joe-burrow-injury-calf-strain-bengals-return/44672888

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-29-2023

(07-29-2023, 11:05 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This is a solid researched and extensive article from Paul Dehner and The Athletic. Sorry if you don’t have a sub. If you can’t afford $1 a month I can’t help you. If you spend time on a stupid message board you should read and listen to some of the best coverage of the Bengals.

I get plenty of Bengals coverage on this “stupid message” board without a paid subscription to the Athletic.

(07-29-2023, 12:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I get plenty of Bengals coverage on this “stupid message” board without a paid subscription to the Athletic.

LMAO is there a post of mine you haven’t responded to in the last few months? The adoration is appreciated but ……

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Nicomo Cosca - 07-29-2023

The Athletic has majorly gone down hill in the last couple years. They’ve laid off a ton of good people, and it’s definitely not as good as it once was. I recently cancelled my auto renewal.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Destro - 07-29-2023

And let us not forget, that versus the average patient, Joe will get some of the best medical care money can buy. Not like he can only do physical therapy on certain days because of work or his son's soccer practice. It is all in on getting better.

I'm hopeful.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - SouthernFan - 07-29-2023

(07-29-2023, 12:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: I found a link to this interview with Dr. Tim Kremcheck, orthopedic surgeon. The money line:

"They carted him off which is the right thing to do, MRI found out from my understanding, it is a grade one, which is great because if it is grade three, that's a bigger problem. So grade one is going to be a couple of weeks, they'll rehab him, put him in a boot find a way to stay in shape, do a little bit of throwing. My best guess would be about three weeks, he'll be ready to go, so that's great news," Kremchek.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/joe-burrow-injury-calf-strain-bengals-return/44672888

Thanks Nepa for the info and the link. So from reading the full transcript, it appears that Dr. Kremchek’s comment as to the severity is based on second hand info from someone within the organization about the results of the MRI.  This is good news and probably the most we will get until Joe is ready to go. I’m now hopeful that he will get at least some full practice time in before week one. Definitely do not want to see him in any preseason games!

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Nepa - 07-29-2023

(07-29-2023, 01:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Athletic has majorly gone down hill in the last couple years. They’ve laid off a ton of good people, and it’s definitely not as good as it once was. I recently cancelled my auto renewal.

The New York Times majorly overpaid for the Athletic. And now their trying to cut their losses by dropping their own sports section and trying to get those who pick up the paper at the newsstand to get their sports through paid subscriptions to The Athletic. 

What's interesting is that one of the co-founders of the Athletic stated as his goal to wreck local newspapers' sports coverage: "We will wait out every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing... We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment."

The NYT covered it back then (2017) by saying "By the time you finish reading this article, the upstart sports news outlet called The Athletic probably will have hired another well-known sportswriter from your local newspaper. In a couple of years, once the Athletic has completed its breakneck expansion, perhaps that newspaper's sports section will no longer exist."

Interesting that the one they did end was the NYT Sports Department.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-29-2023

I don't put much stock in the Athletic anymore either since the Slimes took them over and espn is still bogus for the most part.

What Kremcheck said though keeps me hopeful that Burrow should be 100% by the opener if it is indeed a grade 1 sprain.

Also, to Soonerpeace, don't call this message board stupid man. Not cool. Whatever

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - BengalsLUFC - 07-29-2023

For those with an iPhone to read an athletic article for free load up the page and switch to reader mode and it bypasses the paywall.

Might only be a dollar but every little helps.