Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Joe Burrow injury updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Joe Burrow injury updates (/Thread-Joe-Burrow-injury-updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Wyche'sWarrior - 07-30-2023

(07-29-2023, 12:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I get plenty of Bengals coverage on this “stupid message” board without a paid subscription to the Athletic.

.....not to mention local coverage on AM radio, Enquirer, etc. 

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - wanga - 07-30-2023

(07-29-2023, 10:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How is it obvious?

He was in pain and obvious discomfort. At least a 2. A 1 is like a cramp. 

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 03:48 AM)wanga Wrote: He was in pain and obvious discomfort. At least a 2. A 1 is like a cramp. 

Have you ever had a cramp? They can cause obvious pain and discomfort.

(07-29-2023, 08:15 PM)Housh Wrote: I’m assuming the grade 1 is basically a Charlie horse.

Charlie horse, you are basically good after a day or 2.

Had to be grade 2 or 3 if we’re talking about him missing the preseason

Exactly. He was in pain and some discomfort. More than a grade 1 would provide. 

(07-30-2023, 03:55 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Have you ever had a cramp? They can cause obvious pain and discomfort.

Too many. They can also lead to a tear as well. If he’s missing weeks it wasn’t a cramp. 

(07-30-2023, 03:57 AM)wanga Wrote: Too many. They can also lead to a tear as well. If he’s missing weeks it wasn’t a cramp. 

Did any of your many cramps cause pain and obvious discomfort?

(07-30-2023, 04:24 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did any of your many cramps cause pain and obvious discomfort?

Only the painful and uncomfortable ones. 

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Essex Johnson - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 03:55 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Have you ever had a cramp? They can cause obvious pain and discomfort.

called an ex girlfriend and just as a cramp she tends to pop up and cause pain and discomfort, need a little humor on a sunday. :)

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Sled21 - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 03:56 AM)wanga Wrote: Exactly. He was in pain and some discomfort. More than a grade 1 would provide. 

You've obviously never watched LeBronn James play basketball..... Hilarious Hilarious

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - TheFan - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 10:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You've obviously never watched LeBronn James play basketball..... Hilarious Hilarious

I ran track in college and have had numerous calf cramps myself and seen many others have them. The initial pain can be pretty significant and you'll need to sit/stretch for a little while. I've also seen people need assistance walking/hopping to an area where they could sit. I'm not surprised at all he needed help off the court if both of hid legs were cramping. 

After a couple minutes though most of the pain passes but there's typically a few days of obvious soreness/tightness after. From how they're describing Joe's timeline it definitely seems to be a little more severe than that a calf cramp (if that's what's considered a grade 1 strain). 

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Soonerpeace - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 02:09 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: At this point, what do fans of this team want to know about this situation?

We want to know what grade the calf strain is? And what is the prognosis based upon the grade?

Dehner failed to report the grade of the strain so we don’t know anymore about the diagnosis than we did before reading his article. As far as the prognosis, he just repeated what had already been reported from multiple source. I learned more from what was already posted here.

Then Dehner made an apples to oranges comparison of various calf injuries without establishing what grade each strain was because the prognosis varies greatly depending upon the degree of the strain. That only helps contributes to the confusion of the fans who aren’t familiar with it.

Frankly, I’d rather spend my $2 on an actual cup of coffee.

You’re the one thinking and talking about me in threads I’m not posting in, genius.

I’m not seeking you out . Here’s the proof.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - burreauxs - 07-30-2023

A cramp and a strain are different. A grade 1 strain means only a few muscle fibers have been torn. A cramp is a painful, sustained involuntary muscle contraction usually due to an electrical/chemical issue (dehydration, lack of electrolytes or other ions muscles need to function) which is caused by something like poor blood flow/nerve impingement. A grade 1 muscle strain is not “just a cramp”.

(07-30-2023, 12:19 PM)burreauxs Wrote: A cramp and a strain are different. A grade 1 strain means only a few muscle fibers have been torn. A cramp is a painful, sustained involuntary muscle contraction usually due to an electrical/chemical issue (dehydration, lack of electrolytes or other ions muscles need to function) which is caused by something like poor blood flow/nerve impingement. A grade 1 muscle strain is not “just a cramp”.

We went down this rabbit hole due to a claim it was obvious his injury was more than a grade 1 strain from the video.

I don’t think it is obvious at all and would require a physical exam and the MRI to determine the grade of the strain. But, I can’t watch the video on my tiny iPhone 8 and say obviously more than a grade 1.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Go Cards - 07-30-2023

If it would have been a cramp in the calf the trainers would have been pushing his toes and foot forward to alleviate the pain while giving him fluids.

No expert here, yet don't believe it had anything to do with a cramp.

(07-30-2023, 11:35 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m not seeking you out . Here’s the proof.
You called this message board stupid and included passive aggressive insults for those who don’t pay for an article that didn’t include any meaningful information to the two most important questions than what we already knew from reading this message board for free.

(06-15-2023, 07:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-taylor-says-his-deepest-team-primed-for-training-camp-new

Even #onceuponatimeiwasright poster will like this.

The vid is great.

Receipt you start threads with my name in your mouth. Unlike you, I never think or talk about you in other threads. I only respond to you directly. Maybe you should just stick to reading The Athletic instead of telling other people how to spend their money and whining if they respond?

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - BFritz21 - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 01:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You called this message board stupid and included passive aggressive insults for those who don’t pay for an article that didn’t include any meaningful information to the two most important questions than what we already knew from reading this message board for free.

Receipt you start threads with my name in your mouth. Unlike you, I never think or talk about you in other threads. I only respond to you directly. Maybe you should just stick to reading The Athletic instead of telling other people how to spend their money and whining if they respond?

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - KillerGoose - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 10:45 AM)TheFan Wrote: I ran track in college and have had numerous calf cramps myself and seen many others have them. The initial pain can be pretty significant and you'll need to sit/stretch for a little while. I've also seen people need assistance walking/hopping to an area where they could sit. I'm not surprised at all he needed help off the court if both of hid legs were cramping. 

After a couple minutes though most of the pain passes but there's typically a few days of obvious soreness/tightness after. From how they're describing Joe's timeline it definitely seems to be a little more severe than that a calf cramp (if that's what's considered a grade 1 strain). 

Yeah, I have had cramps bring me to my knees. Funny story surrounding that - about six years ago, I was down in Colombia with my ex-girlfriend. We were seeing her family and doing a bit of traveling. We had also signed up for a half-marathon in the mountains around a small town called Iza. Beautiful little town. I have never been much a long distance runner and have been more of a sprinter. Nonetheless, I agreed to do the marathon. 

Towards the end, the last two or three miles are mostly uphill and I on my deathbed. I had trained for it, but didn't really include elevation changes in my training (like a moron) so I was really hurting. My legs started cramping and completely locked up, causing me to fall. They were cramping so hard that I couldn't get up or even bend them, and I was afraid I was going to piss myself lol. I speak Spanish, but I was unaware that there are multiple words that can mean cramp in Spanish. You have...

1. Calambre - This means cramp as in "my legs are cramping" 
  2. Cólico - Menstrual cramps

Of course, I was only aware of #2 for some reason and was shouting it as I laid on the ground, trying to get someone to help me. All of these runners going by were absolutely bewildered at this white guy shouting that he had period cramps while laying face down on the side of a mountain. Finally someone helped me up and gave me some sugar gummies so I get fixed up and finish the race. 

Anyways, the cramps were so bad that I couldn't do anything to get off the ground, essentially. They can be awful.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - Joelist - 07-30-2023

So where are we at on this now? It sounds like we don't think Burrow misses regular season games but that (as usual) he has no preseason or camp. So we can look forward again to him struggling in the first couple of games - which happen to be division opponents and thus hyper critical. Then he gets into form and the process begins of digging out of the usual early season hole. About right?

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - michaelsean - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 03:48 AM)wanga Wrote: He was in pain and obvious discomfort. At least a 2. A 1 is like a cramp. 

But it’s not a cramp, and the orthopedic surgeon of the Reds, who probably knows some people, says it’s a one. Now I’m not taking that to the bank, but neither do I find it obvious it is a two.

RE: Joe Burrow carted off - reuben.ahmed - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 10:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You've obviously never watched LeBronn James play basketball..... Hilarious Hilarious

or curry who falls down on every 3 from no fault of his own