Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Biden vs. Trump debate - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: { All Things Biden & Trump } (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-All-Things-Biden-Trump)
+---- Thread: Biden vs. Trump debate (/Thread-Biden-vs-Trump-debate)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Biden vs. Trump debate - FormerlyBengalRugby - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 06:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Planning can consist of literally one meeting, e.g. call the GA attorney general and tell them to find votes.  That's planning.  As to why no one is charged, such things are difficult to prove unless someone directly involved steps forward and dimes the rest out.

Sounds almost like people are operating on assumptions and not fact when stating it was a coup then.

Iy has all the markings of stupid people doing stupid things with a sprinkling of bad actors doing bad things as well. 

Big claims, like calling it a coup, require big, rock solid evidence, which I just do not see.

No doubt it was a terrible day and a black eye for the nation, but calling it a coup is too much of a reach. But that is the drum we are set to hear at least until the election is over in November.  imo

RE: Biden vs. Trump debate - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 02:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: OK. You might call it a distinction without a difference maybe, but this imho is not so much an example of overusing it as it is an example of just misusing it for unrelated topics. Which, of course, is counterproductive, I don't deny that. I don't know about the quote at hand, but I don't really have to, I know full well that democrats (not just them) are quite masterful in doing that, eg. throwing racial questions into everything and then some, examples are plenty.
But the conclusion from that imho can not be that just because democratic politicians overused the racism accusation now means the topic of racism itself is diminished or miniscule for real. And in the same sense, I feel how many democrats did how much mis (or over-)using the 'threat to democracy' aspect now means there is no real actual threat to democracy. Imho, there clearly is, a coup attempt can't be anything but, and I would caution to take the eyes from the ball because Mrs. Bush and others tried to make political hay out of it. Critizism to her and all others that do so, but in the end it really is not about them. They don't deserve to be in this debate.

Well, I don't mean it in a snarky way when I say tell that to Mike, who said it cearly is not that. It was my main intention for posting, you just crossed my path :)

The thing is, there are coup attempts and then there are coup attempts.  Attempting to manipulate the system to stay in power is not the same as an armed uprising.  One could argue that the 2,000 election was a coup if you really tried.  Hell, many did at the time and still do.

(07-03-2024, 06:45 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Sounds almost like people are operating on assumptions and not fact when stating it was a coup then.

Iy has all the markings of stupid people doing stupid things with a sprinkling of bad actors doing bad things as well. 

Big claims, like calling it a coup, require big, rock solid evidence, which I just do not see.

No doubt it was a terrible day and a black eye for the nation, but calling it a coup is too much of a reach. But that is the drum we are set to hear at least until the election is over in November.  imo

There is evidence.  But, you're actually illustrating the point I was making to Hollo.  That the extreme labeling actually turns many off the subject.

RE: Biden vs. Trump debate - hollodero - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 06:48 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The thing is, there are coup attempts and then there are coup attempts.  Attempting to manipulate the system to stay in power is not the same as an armed uprising.  One could argue that the 2,000 election was a coup if you really tried.  Hell, many did at the time and still do.

Sure, it is not the same as an armed uprising, but it also is not in any way on par with what happened in 2.000. Saying he manipulated the system makes Trump appear more sly than anything, imho it is not the right way to address pressuring calls to find him votes and the like. But sure, I will not convince you to weigh it the exact same way I do. My main objective was establishing that Trump did indeed coup attempts, I guess we can leave it at that conclusion for now.

(07-03-2024, 06:45 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Big claims, like calling it a coup, require big, rock solid evidence, which I just do not see.

As said, it's not about Jan 6 alone. You can very well hear Trump talk to Mr. Raffensperger about finding him enough votes to overturn the election results. It's on youtube for everyone to see. It's also quite undisputable that fake electors were chosen and that Trump tried to get Pence to not certify the election in what would have been a dereliction of his constitutional duty. I call that plenty of evidence.

(07-03-2024, 07:44 PM)hollodero Wrote: Sure, it is not the same as an armed uprising, but it also is not in any way on par with what happened in 2.000. Saying he manipulated the system makes Trump appear more sly than anything, imho it is not the right way to address pressuring calls to find him votes and the like. But sure, I will not convince you to weigh it the exact same way I do. My main objective was establishing that Trump did indeed coup attempts, I guess we can leave it at that conclusion for now.

It's not precisely the same, no.  But here's some who disagree with you.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/dec/24/uselections2000.usa2

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2012/06/yes-bush-v-gore-did-steal-the-election.html

This isn't exactly a fringe opinion on the left, btw.

RE: Biden vs. Trump debate - Luvnit2 - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 07:47 PM)hollodero Wrote: As said, it's not about Jan 6 alone. You can very well hear Trump talk to Mr. Raffensperger about finding him enough votes to overturn the election results. It's on youtube for everyone to see. It's also quite undisputable that fake electors were chosen and that Trump tried to get Pence to not certify the election in what would have been a dereliction of his constitutional duty. I call that plenty of evidence.

Everything you list Trump was given immunity; all were done as official acts of his Presidency. Trump's job is to have secure federal elections, he has oversight over the state elections that conduct federal elections.

Evidence used in the Bragg case will be tossed based on SC ruling. Hicks and Raffensperger testimony will be tossed upon appeal. Why do you think Marchan agreed to move sentencing? He knows he allowed evidence in the case which should not have been allowed.

I am not a lawyer, but good chance the Bragg trial and conviction is overturned or a mistrial.

(07-03-2024, 09:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not precisely the same, no.  But here's some who disagree with you.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/dec/24/uselections2000.usa2

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2012/06/yes-bush-v-gore-did-steal-the-election.html

This isn't exactly a fringe opinion on the left, btw.

Yet again, I have a hard time accepting how or why opinions harbored by some democrats and left-leaning folks actually factor into all that. It does not make anything Trump did less severe.

(07-03-2024, 09:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Everything you list Trump was given immunity; all were done as official acts of his Presidency. Trump's job is to have secure federal elections, he has oversight over the state elections that conduct federal elections.

So that means he should be totally free, as part of his "oversight", to demand votes are found to overthrow the result? Welp.

(07-03-2024, 09:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Evidence used in the Bragg case will be tossed based on SC ruling. Hicks and Raffensperger testimony will be tossed upon appeal. Why do you think Marchan agreed to move sentencing? He knows he allowed evidence in the case which should not have been allowed.

I am not a lawyer, but good chance the Bragg trial and conviction is overturned or a mistrial.

It's really hard for me to see why you would consider giving any president the right to interfere with elections a good thing. Guess it would take Biden to just do as Trump did, demand that party friends find him votes in states he would otherwise lose, for you to be actually alarrmed about giving a POTUS that much leeway.

RE: Biden vs. Trump debate - Luvnit2 - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 09:28 PM)hollodero Wrote: So that means he should be totally free, as part of his "oversight", to demand votes are found to overthrow the result? Welp.

It's really hard for me to see why you would consider giving any president the right to interfere with elections a good thing. Guess it would take Biden to just do as Trump did, demand that party friends find him votes in states he would otherwise lose, for you to be actually alarrmed about giving a POTUS that much leeway.

Biden did it. He lied at a debate and said his son's laptop was Russian disinformation. He won by a razor thin margin and was complicit in election interference.

He was not the POTUS, and he did it, but that is OK in your eyes.

Trump asking to find votes he felt were casted illegally is not a crime nor election interference. It is why the FEC (federal elections commission cleared Trump of election interference) and so did Bragg's boss but keep your head in the sand as it destroys your point about Trump.

(07-03-2024, 09:24 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yet again, I have a hard time accepting how or why opinions harbored by some democrats and left-leaning folks actually factor into all that. It does not make anything Trump did less severe.

It doesn't.  I never said it did.  What I am saying is that the language and framing used paint a far grimmer picture than what actually happened.  We've had this discussion before regarding things Trump said and how they are blown up or taken out of context.  This doesn't need to be done as the actual statements are usually plenty bad on their own.  Yet the urge to exaggerate apparently cannot be curbed.  You've seen it there, I'm surprised you don't see it here.  This makes people tune out, everything becomes hyperbole.

(07-03-2024, 09:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Biden do it. He lied at a debate and said his son's laptop was Russian disinformation. He won by a razor thin margin and was complicit in election interference.

He was not the POTUS, and he did it, but that is OK in your eyes.

I never said it was OK.

(07-03-2024, 09:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Trump asking to find votes he felt were casted illegally is not a crime nor election interference. It is why the FEC (federal elections commission cleared Trump of election interference) and so did Bragg's boss but keep your head in the sand as it destroys your point about Trump.

He "felt" it? Did he have any proof? Nope, it were just his feelings that according to you made it totally fine to pressure a state secretary to find him votes. To level out the number of votes he "felt" were illegally cast for Biden, or whatever twisted logic there might be. How can you not see a fundamental problem here?
Part of me starts to wish that Biden does the exact same thing now. Saying 'I lost the state, I feel I have won though, so let's just pressure someone to find some votes for me to overturn the result. It's ok, just part of my role as overseer, also I'm immune'. I would just love to see you suddenly lose your shit over it.

(07-03-2024, 09:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It doesn't.  I never said it did.  What I am saying is that the language and framing used paint a far grimmer picture than what actually happened.

Maybe so, I don't even contradict it. I just don't care all that much about the narratives surrounding Jan6. The event is as grim as it is, meaning it's still pretty grim, why would I be bothered so much with all alleged or actual liberal framing? Shame on everyone who misuses it, sure, I am aware that happens. But why can't we look at the event itself without constantly mentioning that?

(07-03-2024, 09:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: We've had this discussion before regarding things Trump said and how they are blown up or taken out of context.  This doesn't need to be done as the actual statements are usually plenty bad on their own.  Yet the urge to exaggerate apparently cannot be curbed.  You've seen it there, I'm surprised you don't see it here.  This makes people tune out, everything becomes hyperbole.

It's not about me not seeing it. It's about me not giving it the same relevance in this instance. To me it is merely a side aspect you insist to focus on. But I can sure repeat it, yeah it gets rhetorically misused, yeah it's contraproductive, no it does not mean that the faulty reactions to the event are even remotely as important or relevant as the events itself, Jan 6 and all the other coup attempts.

RE: Biden vs. Trump debate - Dill - 07-03-2024

(07-02-2024, 07:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Since my name was interjected by SSF, for the record I have said the election was not stolen by voter fraud. I said it was stolen due to our government working with the DNC to suppress the Hunter Biden laptop story. Biden's get handed a letter with 51 signatures saying to not trust the Hunter Biden Laptop as being legit, may be Russian disinformation.

NY Post was banned from Facebook after posting a factual story. Later we find out government was telling social media to be on alert for Russian disinformation. So, 2 times Russia was inserted by Democrats to change the direction of an election.

Now fast forward and NY Post was correct and all the social media companies who banned the HB laptop story were wrong. But our government n=knew the truth about the HB laptop being legit a year prior to October 2020, yet let the letter speak to the public as truth.

How is that not taking sides and election interference by the US government?

We had pretty thorough discussion of this back in 2021. And your post is a good example of adjusting facts AFTER the fact to keep a desired conclusion. Massive and massively crazy Trump lies about election fraud could not be confirmed though they were amplified in the RWM, but now, thanks to Hannity et al, you've figured out a way to keep the "election was stolen" shtick going--THE MEDIA and intel services stole it, and, extra bonus, that's now the REAL COUP. 

And how did they steal it? By trying to fight back against the wave of disinformation--some of it coming from abroad--which was swamping the internet, circulated and amplified by right wing media outlets like the NYPost. 

The issue in Oct 2020 was whether the NYPost should have jumped on an unvetted story based on a laptop held by the master disinformer, Giuliani, now DISBARRED for his role in spreading election lies. 

MSM sources decided not to do that, and then initially treated the story as a question about journalistic responsibility, once the NYPost broke it to help Trump. That was on Oct 14, 2020, well before the election. 51 people with intel credentials rightly saw reason for caution regarding a laptop which fell out of "stop the steal!" Rudy's lap and into the NYPost. Meanwhile the 51's much less credible counterparts on the right were linking the laptop to other disinformation about Joe Biden and Ukraine, namely that he fired a prosecutor there to protect his son. 

FBI & Intel services & Homeland Security =/= "the Dems"--especially while Trump was still president. They were right to warn US news outlets to be on guard against disinformation. You can ONLY have a problem with that if you prize political gain through disinformation.

There is no good reason to suppose that a laptop showing Hunter Biden's bad behavior would have cost Joe the election, if intel experts had not expressed (legally) caution or the FBI validated its ownership publicly; it's only value since has really been a succession of failed attempts to impeach Biden, to create more false equivalence: "both sides" have impeached corrupt candidates, so no ethical principle can favor one over the other.  Possibly the greatest MAGA false equivalence so far is treating the effort to fight back against the mass of disinformation coming from the Trump and allies as some kind of "media coup" and the REAL crime--not Trump's actual coup attempt. 

The proper caution used approaching the laptop should not be spun as "lies' or suppression of information and some great conspiracy to help Biden; that only sanctions more conspiratorial thinking and disinformation.  This is no equivalent to the Trump/Giuliani/Powell show with its Italian satellites and Chinese paper and Dominion voting machines switching votes which convinced enough MAGA followers to come to DC to put their lives on the line for Trump's lie. 

Should Trump win the election, expect similar crazy manipulation of definitions to generate more false equivalence to guide real "with hunts" against people who exercising legal rights and duties. 

(07-03-2024, 09:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Everything you list Trump was given immunity; all were done as official acts of his Presidency. Trump's job is to have secure federal elections, he has oversight over the state elections that conduct federal elections.

Evidence used in the Bragg case will be tossed based on SC ruling. Hicks and Raffensperger testimony will be tossed upon appeal. Why do you think Marchan agreed to move sentencing? He knows he allowed evidence in the case which should not have been allowed.

Last week, and for the entire history of the US, if Trump called the Georgia's SoS to "find more votes" that was abuse office.

Today, suddenly, it is just part of his official duty to "secure" federal elections by making sure he won.

This means it is now virtually impossible for someone willing to break the law, like Trump, to be held criminally responsible for
abusing his office to stay in power. 

God did not step down from heaven to decree this.

Trump created a rightwing dominated SCOTUS, and they handed Trump a get-out-of-jail-free card.

One hand washes the other.

RE: Biden vs. Trump debate - Mike M (the other one) - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 02:40 PM)hollodero Wrote: Sure, it is about that. Though I would not advise anyone to not vote for the conservative candidate, I feel it's not my place to do so. Additionally, suggesting to a conservative leaning person to vote for Biden just got even tougher for me. I get full well why they would not do that. 
Mainly, I want to focus on how what Trump did imho can not be called anything but a coup attempt. By mentioning the Georgia trial, I was answering the question of if it were a coup, why isn't Trump indicted for it.

First off, Trump Hates to lose. 
The 2020 election cycle wasn't normal, therefore he probably felt that the Dems cheated (somehow someway).

The fake electors were nothing more than an attempt to cause confusion and give Trump something to hang his hat on by saying it was stolen so he had a way out to save face. It was never intended to be a "coup" that's just leftist TDS kicking in, none of this would have ever held up in court (Trump knows it, We all Know it), it was just a sham all around to try to give Trump Supporters the idea that he won, and to setup his campaign for the next time. The protest turning into an "attack" on the capital was just more leftist attempts to do more dot connecting. They are separate events, but just so happen to occur at the same time. 

I think that anyone that thinks this was a coup, is entitled to their opinion, just like i am mine. I mean ffs, you keep calling him a Con Artist, but you fail miserably to see the cons.

(07-03-2024, 06:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If the lie was believable their beliefs were legitimate.  All of this is extremely consequential to you because you're a "our democracy is at stake" doomsayer.  Most people don't subscribe to your point of view.  And rightfully so, IMO.

So now you think the LIES (plural) were "believable." That explains your empathy with the protesters, but still only makes the beliefs sincere. 

Most people--especially you--did not subscribe to my "doomsaying" in 2020 that Trump was not likely to leave office peacefully, per the 250 year norm.

You thought my views then were "extreme" then, quite mock worthy. 

Here we are on the verge of another Trump presidency, in which will he have immunity from criminal liability for ambiguously bounded "core duties",

and your target is "doomsayers" and people who "overstate" the coup attempt which established Trump's willingness to break the law to retain power. 

Because democracy will be just fine no matter what.  Sure. 

(07-03-2024, 11:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: First off, Trump Hates to lose. 
The 2020 election cycle wasn't normal, therefore he probably felt that the Dems cheated (somehow someway).

The fake electors were nothing more than an attempt to cause confusion and give Trump something to hang his hat on by saying it was stolen so he had a way out to save face. It was never intended to be a "coup" that's just leftist TDS kicking in, none of this would have ever held up in court (Trump knows it, We all Know it), it was just a sham all around to try to give Trump Supporters the idea that he won, and to setup his campaign for the next time. The protest turning into an "attack" on the capital was just more leftist attempts to do more dot connecting. They are separate events, but just so happen to occur at the same time. 

I think that anyone that thinks this was a coup, is entitled to their opinion, just like i am mine. I mean ffs, you keep calling him a Con Artist, but you fail miserably to see the cons.

Trump hates to lose so much he is willing to break the law to stay in power. 

The rest of your post is pretty much a denial of the documentary record and testimony, not to mention the criminal seriousness of Trump's actions. 

Your "sham" thesis is on the same evidentiary level as Luvnit's belief the election really was stolen after all--by the media.

One "leftist dot" you keep ignoring is the Greenbay Sweep. The coup thesis doesn't merely turn on whether the protest turned
into an attack.  

RE: Biden vs. Trump debate - HarleyDog - 07-04-2024

(07-03-2024, 11:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think that anyone that thinks this was a coup, is entitled to their opinion, just like i am mine. I mean ffs, you keep calling him a Con Artist, but you fail miserably to see the cons.

I've concluded that it's the victim mentality. They saw an ant hill,  made it into a mountain,  and asked the whole world to believe it and sympathize with them. Jan 6 was blown so badly out of proportion, but it's something the left can cling to with clutched fists. 

RE: Biden vs. Trump debate - Luvnit2 - 07-04-2024

(07-03-2024, 10:57 PM)hollodero Wrote: I never said it was OK.

He "felt" it? Did he have any proof? Nope, it were just his feelings that according to you made it totally fine to pressure a state secretary to find him votes. To level out the number of votes he "felt" were illegally cast for Biden, or whatever twisted logic there might be. How can you not see a fundamental problem here?
Part of me starts to wish that Biden does the exact same thing now. Saying 'I lost the state, I feel I have won though, so let's just pressure someone to find some votes for me to overturn the result. It's ok, just part of my role as overseer, also I'm immune'. I would just love to see you suddenly lose your shit over it.

It appears the only one losing their shit over our constitution is you, the person not a US citizen.

Go back to 2020 election, look at a lot of voting irregularities in cities and states Trump was ahead and then lost.

Add it was a close election, Trump vs. Clinton was not close. Yet, HRC still says the election was stolen. What does she mean when she says it? Should she be thrown in jail also?