Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Target removes gender based signage for kids - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Target removes gender based signage for kids (/Thread-Target-removes-gender-based-signage-for-kids)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Mike M (the other one) - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 07:56 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I miss BengalYankee.  Right now we could be talking about how pedophiles in Saudi Arabia get treated with their preference of child bride and how THAT compares to homosexual equality in the U.S.

and Rugby.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Johnny Cupcakes - 08-25-2015

and Rugby.

I'm sorry, Who?

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Benton - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 06:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...and when the subject turns to homosexuality the same folk bring up rascism; yet somehow it becomes relevant. To suggest attraction comes from a process from within the brain is not irrelevant. Same-sex attraction is about as prevelent as peodophillia, yet it is irrelevant to compare the two because one has lost its stigma.

It simply becomes a case of you can't compare the two because one is socially shunned (here) while one is socially accepted (here). So they cannot derive from the same process.  

They could both be related. As noted in another thread (or maybe this one), I'm not a doctor.

And that does nothing to change the point you're only bringing up pedophilia... Repeatedly... Because one is shunned (here) and one is accepted (here).

If you aren't trying to make one relative to the other, dont pick something as deplorable.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - bfine32 - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 08:38 PM)Benton Wrote: They could both be related. As noted in another thread (or maybe this one), I'm not a doctor.

And that does nothing to change the point you're only bringing up pedophilia... Repeatedly... Because one is shunned (here) and one is accepted (here).

If you aren't trying to make one relative to the other, dont pick something as deplorable.

You start off saying they could be related and then end with they shouldn't be made relative to each other.

Brilliant!!

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 07:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: However, that is not why they ended up obese or an alcoholic. Environmental factors/social factors played a much bigger role is them getting it.

This is what many of you keep ignoring about this whole genetic argument.

Genetic predisposition can contribute to the development of a disease, but it will not directly cause it. Some with a certain predisposing genetic variation will never get it, while others can, even inside of the same family/genetic line.

The test is a false one from the start. You will be able to find certain markers/mutations that could contribute to it and increase the probability of someone getting a disease but:

Genetic predisposition can contribute to the development of a disease, but it will not directly cause it.

Let's not go to far off topic, but just an interesting tidbit about eye color:
A person's eye colors can change. For example, during pregnancy the pigmentation in the eyes gets darker. 15% of people report that it changes after puberty. Other things such as the food you eat, or stress can also alter your eye color. Age can also change the color of your eyes.

Genetics is nothing more than a recipe book. It gives you the recipe to create the proteins that make up the pigmentation in the eyes, and like a cook who uses the same recipe over and over again, sometimes the results might not always the same. IE Flame on oven hotter/colder, ingredients not as pure as previous time(s) etc.

But again, all of those instances are environmental factors, and not due to some hereditary genetic gene(s).

I think you get the picture, so I won't go further.

The next time you plagiarize a website I suggest you read all of it so you might learn something instead of regurgitating the portion you cherry picked which appears to support yor preconceived notions without telling the entire story.

Do you want to explain the part you intentionally left out?  Or is it over your head and you need me to explain it?

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You start off saying they could be related and then end with they shouldn't be made relative to each other.

Brilliant!!

He means they could share a common etiology and there are other psychiatric disorders you could use in your comparison. However, those other psych disorders don't share the same stigma as pedophilia. You specifically compare pedophilia to homosexuality because of that stigma. Your goal is for people to associate the stigma of pedophilia to homosexuality. But, of course, you already knew this.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Mike M (the other one) - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 09:41 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The next time you plagiarize a website I suggest you read all of it so you might learn something instead of regurgitating the portion you cherry picked which appears to support yor preconceived notions without telling the entire story.

Do you want to explain the part you intentionally left out?  Or is it over your head and you need me to explain it?

DO we or do we not classify homosexuality as a behavior? 

There's quite a bit of study thats been done that tells me that every disorder mentioned so far in this thread: Autism, sexual preference, alcoholism and obesity are common diseases which fall under the Multifactorial inheritance disorders. Which again is the area where behavioral disorders come from and also need to have environmental impacts in order for them to become active.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/mutationsanddisorders/predisposition

strange, so does this one?
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/history/geneticrisk/

and another
http://www.who.int/genomics/public/geneticdiseases/en/index3.html

Now if you want to talk about the rarer ones that fall under the monogenetic disorders or chromosome disorders then we can, but neither of them are going to be responsible for the "gay" gene.

So please feel free to further enlighten me if I'm incorrect. Please give me more than another condescending remark.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - bfine32 - 08-26-2015

(08-25-2015, 05:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Pat made a facetious comment about DNA testing and autism.

(08-25-2015, 09:49 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He means they could share a common etiology and there are other psychiatric disorders you could use in your comparison.

Didn't you tell to show you if you ever put words in people's mouths?

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Benton - 08-26-2015

(08-25-2015, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You start off saying they could be related and then end with they shouldn't be made relative to each other.

Brilliant!!

In the same way I'd admit liking kidney beans and liking heroin could be related.

Liking the color mauve and liking the taste of ear wax could be related.

Being left handed and be proficient at astrophysics could be related.

Having green eyes and being an alcoholic. They could be related.

Obese? Maybe it's because you have thick cuticles. 

Because I don't consider any connection outside of the realm of the possibilities doesn't mean I really consider a connection likely.

And that's why I'm brilliant. Why? Because I don't try to draw connections to things that could be related in the same way rocks are related to diamonds or the same way milk is related to mucous. 

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - bfine32 - 08-26-2015

(08-26-2015, 12:28 AM)Benton Wrote: In the same way I'd admit liking kidney beans and liking heroin could be related.

Liking the color mauve and liking the taste of ear wax could be related.

Being left handed and be proficient at astrophysics could be related.

Having green eyes and being an alcoholic. They could be related.

Obese? Maybe it's because you have thick cuticles. 

Because I don't consider any connection outside of the realm of the possibilities doesn't mean I really consider a connection likely.

And that's why I'm brilliant. Why? Because I don't try to draw connections to things that could be related in the same way rocks are related to diamonds or the same way milk is related to mucous. 

Thanks for the look inside your thought process.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-26-2015

(08-26-2015, 12:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't you tell to show you if you ever put words in people's mouths?

I asked for examples. Your first example isn't an example of me speaking for someone else. I don't have any idea how you reached that erroneous conclusion. But, thanks for the look inside what mimics a thought process.

If you want to make the claim I spoke on Benton's behalf in the second example, go ahead. Whatever floats your boat. I don't even know why you're making an issue of the fact I deferred to Benton to explain the meaning of his own statement because I didn't have a level of certainty to feel comfortable explaining it myself . . . one time. It is the equivalent of, "Oh, look!  A squirrel!" Meant to distract everyone from the topic in the last post. I've asked you repeatedly to tell how you know god is uncreated and to give me a list of less expensive leadership schools female soldiers can attend instead of Ranger School, but you continue to ignore those topics. Seems petty.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-26-2015

(08-25-2015, 07:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: However, that is not why they ended up obese or an alcoholic. Environmental factors/social factors played a much bigger role is them getting it.

This is what many of you keep ignoring about this whole genetic argument.

Genetic predisposition can contribute to the development of a disease, but it will not directly cause it. Some with a certain predisposing genetic variation will never get it, while others can, even inside of the same family/genetic line.

The test is a false one from the start. You will be able to find certain markers/mutations that could contribute to it and increase the probability of someone getting a disease but:

Genetic predisposition can contribute to the development of a disease, but it will not directly cause it.

Let's not go to far off topic, but just an interesting tidbit about eye color:
A person's eye colors can change. For example, during pregnancy the pigmentation in the eyes gets darker. 15% of people report that it changes after puberty. Other things such as the food you eat, or stress can also alter your eye color. Age can also change the color of your eyes.

Genetics is nothing more than a recipe book. It gives you the recipe to create the proteins that make up the pigmentation in the eyes, and like a cook who uses the same recipe over and over again, sometimes the results might not always the same. IE Flame on oven hotter/colder, ingredients not as pure as previous time(s) etc.

But again, all of those instances are environmental factors, and not due to some hereditary genetic gene(s).

I think you get the picture, so I won't go further.

First things first.  When it comes to science and medicine, I have yet to see you post anything which is even remotely correct.  Even when you plagiarize, you are somehow able to misrepresent the facts.

Here's the website you plagiarized . . .  http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/mutationsanddisorders?show=all

Here is something you didn't include.  I'll post the entire section rather than a single sentence taken out of context to misrepresent the truth.

Quote:How can gene mutations affect health and development?

To function correctly, each cell depends on thousands of proteins to do their jobs in the right places at the right times. Sometimes, gene mutations prevent one or more of these proteins from working properly. By changing a gene’s instructions for making a protein, a mutation can cause the protein to malfunction or to be missing entirely. When a mutation alters a protein that plays a critical role in the body, it can disrupt normal development or cause a medical condition. A condition caused by mutations in one or more genes is called a genetic disorder.

In some cases, gene mutations are so severe that they prevent an embryo from surviving until birth. These changes occur in genes that are essential for development, and often disrupt the development of an embryo in its earliest stages. Because these mutations have very serious effects, they are incompatible with life.

It is important to note that genes themselves do not cause disease—genetic disorders are caused by mutations that make a gene function improperly. For example, when people say that someone has “the cystic fibrosis gene,” they are usually referring to a mutated version of the CFTR gene, which causes the disease. All people, including those without cystic fibrosis, have a version of the CFTR gene.

For more information about mutations and genetic disorders:

The Centre for Genetics Education offers a fact sheet about genetic changes that lead to disorders[Image: offsiteico.gif].
The Tech Museum of Innovation offers a brief overview of genetic mutations and disease[Image: offsiteico.gif].

Everybody has genes.  Genes don't cause disease.  Mutated genes cause disease.  The mutated genes causes abnormal function which causes the disease.  People who are genetically predisposed to genetic diseases have a known family history of an inherited disease occurring over multiple generations of their family.

Quote:What does it mean to have a genetic predisposition to a disease?

A genetic predisposition (sometimes also called genetic susceptibility) is an increased likelihood of developing a particular disease based on a person’s genetic makeup. A genetic predisposition results from specific genetic variations that are often inherited from a parent. These genetic changes contribute to the development of a disease but do not directly cause it. Some people with a predisposing genetic variation will never get the disease while others will, even within the same family.

Genetic variations can have large or small effects on the likelihood of developing a particular disease. For example, certain mutations in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes greatly increase a person’s risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Variations in other genes, such as BARD1 and BRIP1, also increase breast cancer risk, but the contribution of these genetic changes to a person’s overall risk appears to be much smaller.

Current research is focused on identifying genetic changes that have a small effect on disease risk but are common in the general population. Although each of these variations only slightly increases a person’s risk, having changes in several different genes may combine to increase disease risk significantly. Changes in many genes, each with a small effect, may underlie susceptibility to many common diseases, including cancer, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and mental illness.

In people with a genetic predisposition, the risk of disease can depend on multiple factors in addition to an identified genetic change. These include other genetic factors (sometimes called modifiers) as well as lifestyle and environmental factors. Diseases that are caused by a combination of factors are described as multifactorial. Although a person’s genetic makeup cannot be altered, some lifestyle and environmental modifications (such as having more frequent disease screenings and maintaining a healthy weight) may be able to reduce disease risk in people with a genetic predisposition.

For more information about genetic predisposition to disease:

The World Health Organization offers information about genetic predisposition to several common diseases[Image: offsiteico.gif], including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and asthma.

Genetic Alliance UK offers a fact sheet on genetic predisposition to common genetic diseases[Image: offsiteico.gif].
The Genetic Science Learning Center at the University of Utah provides more information about calculating the risk of genetic diseases and predicting disease based on family history[Image: offsiteico.gif].

The Coriell Personalized Medicine Collaborative explains genetic and nongenetic risk factors[Image: offsiteico.gif] for complex diseases.
More detailed information about the genetics of breast and ovarian cancer[Image: offsiteico.gif] is available from the National Cancer Institute.

Genetic predisposition means you have an increased chance of inheriting mutated genes which cause disease.  Take cystic fibrosis for example.  If you have a parent with cystic fibrosis you are more likely to get cystic fibrosis by inheriting the mutated gene which causes cystic fibrosis.  The cystic fibrosis gene is autosomal recessive which means you must get a copy from each parent.  That is why some of their children may not get cystic fibrosis.  But, if a child has cystic fibrosis it is a 100% certainty each parent is a carrier of a mutated CF gene

(08-25-2015, 11:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: DO we or do we not classify homosexuality as a behavior? 

There's quite a bit of study thats been done that tells me that every disorder mentioned so far in this thread: Autism, sexual preference, alcoholism and obesity are common diseases which fall under the Multifactorial inheritance disorders. Which again is the area where behavioral disorders come from and also need to have environmental impacts in order for them to become active.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/mutationsanddisorders/predisposition

strange, so does this one?
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/history/geneticrisk/

and another
http://www.who.int/genomics/public/geneticdiseases/en/index3.html

Now if you want to talk about the rarer ones that fall under the monogenetic disorders or chromosome disorders then we can, but neither of them are going to be responsible for the "gay" gene.

So please feel free to further enlighten me if I'm incorrect. Please give me more than another condescending remark.

Quote:What are complex or multifactorial disorders?

Researchers are learning that nearly all conditions and diseases have a genetic component. Some disorders, such as sickle cell disease and cystic fibrosis, are caused by mutations in a single gene. The causes of many other disorders, however, are much more complex. Common medical problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity do not have a single genetic cause—they are likely associated with the effects of multiple genes in combination with lifestyle and environmental factors. Conditions caused by many contributing factors are called complex or multifactorial disorders.

Although complex disorders often cluster in families, they do not have a clear-cut pattern of inheritance. This makes it difficult to determine a person’s risk of inheriting or passing on these disorders. Complex disorders are also difficult to study and treat because the specific factors that cause most of these disorders have not yet been identified. Researchers continue to look for major contributing genes for many common complex disorders.

For more information about complex disorders:

A fact sheet about the inheritance of multifactorial disorders[Image: offsiteico.gif] is available from the Centre for Genetics Education.
The Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin provides basic information about multifactorial inheritance[Image: offsiteico.gif] and examples of multifactorial disorders.
Nature Education’s Scitable offers a detailed description of complex and multifactorial diseases[Image: offsiteico.gif] and how researchers are studying them.
The National Human Genome Research Institute describes how researchers study complex disorders[Image: offsiteico.gif].
If you would like information about a specific complex disorder such as diabetes or obesity, MedlinePlus[Image: offsiteico.gif] will lead you to fact sheets and other reliable medical information. In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides a detailed list of diseases and conditions[Image: offsiteico.gif] that links to additional information.

Multifactorial diseases don't have a single cause.  They have multiple causes.  They have multiple combinations of multiple causes.  Stating environmental and lifestyle factors play a larger role than genetics is completely false.  That is what you keep ignoring don't understand about this whole genetic argument.  You're not going to get cystic fibrosis from environmental and lifestyle factors unless you inherit a defective CF gene from each parent.

I'm not even going to get into genetic testing because it is beyond your comprehension.

Eye color may get lighter or darker, but "don't it make your brown eyes blue" is just a song lyric.

Sexual preference is not a disorder.  You have a sexual preference.  Is it a disorder?  No.

Two words: just stop.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Mike M (the other one) - 08-26-2015

(08-26-2015, 09:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: First things first.  When it comes to science and medicine, I have yet to see you post anything which is even remotely correct.  Even when you plagiarize, you are somehow able to misrepresent the facts.

Here's the website you plagiarized . . .  http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/mutationsanddisorders?show=all

Here is something you didn't include.  I'll post the entire section rather than a single sentence taken out of context to misrepresent the truth.

Everybody has genes.  Genes don't cause disease.  Mutated genes cause disease.  The mutated genes causes abnormal function which causes the disease.  People who are genetically predisposed to genetic diseases have a known family history of an inherited disease occurring over multiple generations of their family.

Genetic predisposition means you have an increased chance of inheriting mutated genes which cause disease.  Take cystic fibrosis for example.  If you have a parent with cystic fibrosis you are more likely to get cystic fibrosis by inheriting the mutated gene which causes cystic fibrosis.  The cystic fibrosis gene is autosomal recessive which means you must get a copy from each parent.  That is why some of their children may not get cystic fibrosis.  But, if a child has cystic fibrosis it is a 100% certainty each parent is a carrier of a mutated CF gene

(08-26-2015, 09:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:  

Multifactorial diseases don't have a single cause.  They have multiple causes.  They have multiple combinations of multiple causes.  Stating environmental and lifestyle factors play a larger role than genetics is completely false.  That is what you keep ignoring don't understand about this whole genetic argument.  You're not going to get cystic fibrosis from environmental and lifestyle factors unless you inherit a defective CF gene from each parent.

I'm not even going to get into genetic testing because it is beyond your comprehension.

Eye color may get lighter or darker, but "don't it make your brown eyes blue" is just a song lyric.

Sexual preference is not a disorder.  You have a sexual preference.  Is it a disorder?  No.

First off, you tell me that I need to learn how to read properly. SO I guess it's pot meet kettle because you certainly didn't read the material very well.

CF is not a Multifactorial inheritance disorder. Which if YOU would have read the links I provided you, you'd note that is falls under the rarer monogenetic disorders tree which I called out and I also called out the Chromosome disorders (which includes Down Syndrome).

Sexual Preference is defined as a particular mode of behavior that leads to sexual satisfaction. There's only 3 categories of genetic disorders (2 of which contain diseases that are rare in the common gene pool and one that affects behaviors). So which one do you think it falls under?

You're putting words in my mouth, I never said that your eyes would change from blue to brown. I said they can get darker, which should imply that they can get lighter as well. Next time I will make sure to keep it clearer for you.

To recap, when someone is born, they may be predisposed to a multifactorial disease/disorder, but they are not born with it already active.  It gets activated later due to environmental/social behaviors. Such as a person can be predisposed to Diabetes, but never get it if they are never exposed to something that causes an imbalance to  insulin (even if it runs in the family).  The catch is that you can also get it even if it doesn't run in the family, because something in your environment can cause the gene to mutate. Environmental factors can also cause chemical problems that might also activate a multifactorial diseases (such as Autism), but the genetic coding itself (with out the environmental/behavior factors) will not cause you to be born with diabetes.

I'm not perfect in my understanding of everything, but damn I sure as hell don't act like it. My advice to you is to stop acting like you do, so that you won't embarrass yourself soo badly.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - Mike M (the other one) - 08-27-2015

(08-26-2015, 09:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:  

Oh dang, I forgot to include examples of your lack of reading.

from the very top of your first link:

http://www.genetics.edu.au/Publications-and-Resources/Genetics-Fact-Sheets/Fact%20Sheet%2011

Important points

Multifactorial inheritance refers to the pattern of inheritance of common health problems and rarer conditions caused by a
combination of both genetic and other factors that may include internal factors such as ageing and exposure to external

environmental factors such as diet, lifestyle, and exposure to chemicals or other toxins 

yes it's caused by a combination, however, you might be at risk for it, but until something happens that triggers it, you might not ever develop the problem, see next paragraph.

Multifactorial conditions have in common that they do not always develop despite the suggested presence of a faulty gene(s)
The inherited faulty gene(s) make the person at increased risk for developing the condition (predisposed or susceptible) but unless

other factors are present, the condition may never develop at all

There it is again, referring to other factors.

It may be possible to determine if family members are at risk for a particular multifactorial condition by examining their family
health history and discussing it with their doctor

Please note the particular word "risk".

Having one or more blood relatives who have been affected by a condition, particularly at a younger than expected age, is an
indication that family members may be at risk of also developing that condition or passing it on to the next generation

Knowing that a person is at increased risk can lead to the use of early detection tests and preventative strategies. (See Genetics
Fact Sheet 9)

For a very few conditions, triggers have been identified, for example lack of the vitamin folate in the developing baby’s
environment is linked to the chance that the baby will have a neural tube defect such as spina bifida. Supplementation of a
woman’s diet with folate in pre-pregnancy and in early pregnancy can significantly reduce the chance of a baby born with this
condition. Such a preventative approach is only possible for those few conditions where the environmental trigger, or some of the

triggers, have been identified

There's those words again,  environmental triggers.

Research is continuing to better understand the process that lead to a build-up of faulty genes in a person’s body over their

lifetime, causing the condition to develop. For those who are at increased risk for conditions due to an inherited predisposition,
this may provide the means by which the condition is avoided altogether 

Over time.... means as they were exposed to different toxins in their environment.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-27-2015

(08-26-2015, 11:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: First off, you tell me that I need to learn how to read properly. SO I guess it's pot meet kettle because you certainly didn't read the material very well.

CF is not a Multifactorial inheritance disorder.

Show me where I wrote CF is a multifactorial disorder.  Was it where I wrote it was autosomal recessive?  Show me.

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - StLucieBengal - 08-27-2015

(08-23-2015, 02:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How do you feel about all-boy schools?

All boys schools also socialize with all girls schools.

What's your point?

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - GMDino - 08-27-2015

(08-27-2015, 03:18 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: All boys schools also socialize with all girls schools.  

What's your point?

I'm just guessing but I bet the point was that those, young, impressionable boys are spending the vast majority of their formative years with nothing but other boys instead of being taken to a house of ill repute by their daddies.  So do you think most of them will be gay?

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - StLucieBengal - 08-27-2015

(08-27-2015, 08:48 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm just guessing but I bet the point was that those, young, impressionable boys are spending the vast majority of their formative years with nothing but other boys instead of being taken to a house of ill repute by their daddies.  So do you think most of them will be gay?

What exactly is your concept of an all boys school?

RE: Target removes gender based signage for kids - djs7685 - 08-27-2015

(08-27-2015, 10:50 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What exactly is your concept of an all boys school?

A school with all boys in it.

Your move, Sherlock.