Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
8 homicides in 1 day. - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: 8 homicides in 1 day. (/Thread-8-homicides-in-1-day)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: 8 homocides in 1 day. - Rotobeast - 09-08-2015

(09-08-2015, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Roto is right.  I was not thinking that through at all.

That's kind of you to say, but please don't think I was "calling you out" or anything.
I was just trying to understand the discussion.

RE: 8 homocides in 1 day. - Belsnickel - 09-08-2015

(09-08-2015, 05:18 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Odd.... I cannot fathom someone not reporting a stolen firearm.
Do you know of a situation where someone would not want to ?
How would a person have anything to gain ?
The only possible scenario I can imagine is if it is stolen by a family member and they do not want to bring charges against them.

I've known it to happen a few times, though usually when the person that had the firearm was not supposed to have it to begin with. Handed down from parent and new owner had lost their right to own a firearm.

(09-08-2015, 06:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've known it to happen a few times, though usually when the person that had the firearm was not supposed to have it to begin with. Handed down from parent and new owner had lost their right to own a firearm.

That makes sense.
Seems as if a probation/parole officer would be lacking in their home inspections though.

RE: 8 homocides in 1 day. - Belsnickel - 09-08-2015

(09-08-2015, 06:36 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: That makes sense.
Seems as if a probation/parole officer would be lacking in their home inspections though.

They were no longer on probation/parole, just a person with a violent offense on their record.

(09-08-2015, 06:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: They were no longer on probation/parole, just a person with a violent offense on their record.

Gotcha... thanks for sharing.
Always good to learn and get perspectives of others.
Wink

RE: 8 homocides in 1 day. - PhilHos - 09-09-2015

(09-07-2015, 04:38 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-chicago-violence-end-of-summer-met-20150904-story.html

Welcome to Chicago....  Where gun restrictions are making the difference.  

(09-07-2015, 04:35 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: In comparison, you could look at the city of Milwaukee, who has some of the lightest gun laws in the country.  Where you are allowed to carry either open or concealed......where you do not need a permit to purchase, a license to operate, or a registration to own.....where there are no assault weapon or magazine restrictions, and things such as the castle doctrine are in place.  We're talking about a city that ranked 9th in violent crime rate in 2013, then more than doubled the murder rate from last year to this year (YTD), where police chief Edward Flynn has cited the cities' "absurdly weak gun laws" for the rise in homicides.

But light gun laws supposedly stop this violent crime, or so the gun-nut right wing freedom fighters tell us.

OR...we could set bias aside, and look at both of these cities and make the conclusion that neither heavy gun laws nor light gun laws have an effect on how violent segments of the population are going to act.  Regardless of your political agenda, gun laws (either way) don't seem to have an effect.  It's a cultural problem and a mental health problem, and has little to do with whether or not citizens can lawfully own and carry guns.

To me, this reinforces the notion that all gun control laws do is make it harder for law abiding citizens toobtain guns. WTS, I'm all in favor of common sense gun laws (i.e.a sensible waiting period, registering weaponry, etc.)

RE: 8 homocides in 1 day. - GodHatesBengals - 09-09-2015

Common sense gun laws are definitely needed. But they also won't totally solve the problem.

The issue of criminal violence in this country is a lot more complex than any politician I've heard admit. A lot of factors come into play. Gun laws, mental health, poverty, drugs and culture all come into play.

RE: 8 homicides in 1 day. - jakefromstatefarm - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 08:18 AM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Common sense gun laws are definitely needed. But they also won't totally solve the problem.

The issue of criminal violence in this country is a lot more complex than any politician I've heard admit. A lot of factors come into play. Gun laws, mental health, poverty, drugs and culture all come into play.

What "common sense" gun laws do you suggest?

What proposed legislation could have prevented the various tragedies involving guns from occurring?

RE: 8 homicides in 1 day. - PhilHos - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 08:18 AM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: The issue of criminal violence in this country is a lot more complex than any politician I've heard admit. A lot of factors come into play. Gun laws, mental health, poverty, drugs and culture all come into play.

This is true. The thing to remember is, no one and no law is EVER going to stop crime. There will ALWAYS be crime. There will ALWAYS be murder and violent crime. You do what you can to limit crime without unnecessarily burdening law abiding citizens with regulations that do absolutely nothing, by trying to get at the heart of the matter and dealing with it as best as you can, but even if you got rid of money and every one had access to the best health care in the world and whatever other issues contribute to the problem, people are still flawed and some people are still going to violent hurt other people.

I'm not saying that to suggest we give up. I'm just saying we need to remember this and realize that no law, no regulation, nothing is going to be so comprehensive that it will always solve the problem. In other words, sometimes all you can do is make something illegal and deal with the perpetrators after they commit their crimes.

RE: 8 homicides in 1 day. - StLucieBengal - 09-09-2015

(09-08-2015, 12:45 AM)Benton Wrote: That's the biggest part of it. Defunding mental healthcare in the 80s was one of the biggest reasons for our spike in violent crime, followed in the last decade by the economy.

This is on point. I totally agree. We should look at committing people again instead of trying to "mainstream" everyone.

Gun problem goes away I believe if we take some steps towards this direction.

RE: 8 homicides in 1 day. - GodHatesBengals - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 01:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is on point.   I totally agree.   We should look at committing people again instead of trying to "mainstream" everyone.    

Sure you're in favor of that? Committing people costs money. Government money.

Still waiting to hear about the common sense gun laws that should be passed and how they would have changed the outcome of any of the tragedies involving guns.

RE: 8 homicides in 1 day. - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 03:05 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Still waiting to hear about the common sense gun laws that should be passed and how they would have changed the outcome of any of the tragedies involving guns.

For one thing, it is easier to own and operate a gun than a vehicle.  Let's start there.

(09-09-2015, 01:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is on point.   I totally agree.   We should look at committing people again instead of trying to "mainstream" everyone.    

I don't think you know anything about committing people or "mainstreaming" everyone.  Please elaborate.

(09-09-2015, 03:28 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: For one thing, it is easier to own and operate a gun than a vehicle.  Let's start there.

Legally.

It's a lot easier to get caught driving without a license than it is to get caught with an illegal gun.  

RE: 8 homicides in 1 day. - Nately120 - 09-09-2015

Meh, laws are like locks...they only keep honest people out. But, to act as thought America's easy access to legally-obtained guns and the lack of accountability regarding ownership doesn't supply criminals with these dastardly "illegal guns they're gonna get either way" is short-sighted. Unless people are doing things the hard way and smuggling illegal arms across borders or making them themselves, illegal guns in the hands of a criminal were supplied via a legal method in some sense.

Then again, I don't understand why the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to criminals in people's minds. Americans have the right to defend themselves from criminals unless they at one point were a criminal, and then in that case you have to take illegal measures to defend yourself. Who needs a gun more than a criminal or a former criminal? Why do illegal guns even exist? Shouldn't ever man woman and child who isn't currently incarcerated have the right to carry a firearm? If criminals were just allowed to buy them then there wouldn't be illegal ones at all! Problem solved. The only reason outlaws have guns is because guns for some people are outlawed.

EDIT: Here is a quick search for crimes that can prohibit a person from owning a firearm:

Violent or Gun-Related Misdemeanants
Alcohol Abusers
Juvenile Offenders
Dangerously Mentally Ill
http://smartgunlaws.org/prohibited-people-gun-purchaser-policy-summary/

So why is it that these people have any less of a right to defend themselves from criminals? If you do your time you should be able to buy a gun legally because of the Constitution and all that jazz. According to gun advocates we live in a world where people are going to break into your house and murder you unless you are armed and ready, so how dare we disarm anyone who has paid his debt or, in some cases, hasn't committed a crime at all?

(09-09-2015, 03:43 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Legally.

It's a lot easier to get caught driving without a license than it is to get caught with an illegal gun.  

Are you arguing against gun laws because it is easier to get caught without a driver's license than to get caught with an illegal gun?

(09-09-2015, 03:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Are you arguing against gun laws because it is easier to get caught without a driver's license than to get caught with an illegal gun?

I'm not the one that brought driver's licenses into the discussion.

I'm talking about whatever common sense gun laws people think should be passed, and how effective they may be.  

RE: 8 homicides in 1 day. - Rotobeast - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 03:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, laws are like locks...they only keep honest people out.  But, to act as thought America's easy access to legally-obtained guns and the lack of accountability regarding ownership doesn't supply criminals with these dastardly "illegal guns they're gonna get either way" is short-sighted.  Unless people are doing things the hard way and smuggling illegal arms across borders or making them themselves, illegal guns in the hands of a criminal were supplied via a legal method in some sense.

Then again, I don't understand why the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to criminals in people's minds.  Americans have the right to defend themselves from criminals unless they at one point were a criminal, and then in that case you have to take illegal measures to defend yourself.  Who needs a gun more than a criminal or a former criminal?  Why do illegal guns even exist?  Shouldn't ever man woman and child who isn't currently incarcerated have the right to carry a firearm?  If criminals were just allowed to buy them then there wouldn't be illegal ones at all!  Problem solved.  The only reason outlaws have guns is because guns for some people are outlawed.

EDIT:  Here is a quick search for crimes that can prohibit a person from owning a firearm:

Violent or Gun-Related Misdemeanants
Alcohol Abusers
Juvenile Offenders
Dangerously Mentally Ill
http://smartgunlaws.org/prohibited-people-gun-purchaser-policy-summary/

So why is it that these people have any less of a right to defend themselves from criminals?  If you do your time you should be able to buy a gun legally because of the Constitution and all that jazz.  According to gun advocates we live in a world where people are going to break into your house and murder you unless you are armed and ready, so how dare we disarm anyone who has paid his debt or, in some cases, hasn't committed a crime at all?
You can also add any federal felony, other than the white-collar banker crimes.
A federal felon can only have their 2nd amendment rights restored by a Full Pardon from the POTUS.

RE: 8 homicides in 1 day. - Nately120 - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 04:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: You can also add any federal felony, other than the white-collar banker crimes.
A federal felon can only have their 2nd amendment rights restored by a Full Pardon from the POTUS.

So what happens when someone with an assault rifle goes on a shooting spree and all the reformed criminals aren't able to defend themselves and others with their god given right to carry a firearm?  Bah!